ADVERTISEMENT

Make surethat you have at least an hour. Light with wooden matches after the sulphur burns off. Its better to need a few matches than to fire it up with a torch. You don't want to pull the butane into the cigar. Take approximately 30 seconds in between puffs. Too frequently will cause it to burn fast and hot, which will ruin the flavor. Also, don't inhale. Quit as soon as the flavor gets hot, burnt, bitter.

Make surethat you have at least an hour. Light with wooden matches after the sulphur burns off. Its better to need a few matches than to fire it up with a torch. You don't want to pull the butane into the cigar. Take approximately 30 seconds in between puffs. Too frequently will cause it to burn fast and hot, which will ruin the flavor. Also, don't inhale. Quit as soon as the flavor gets hot, burnt, bitter.
Cool response. Well done.

Match with a boubon, scotch, or a whiskey to enjoy the entire experience.

Bubbe meise. Butane is odorless and tasteless. Lighter fluid, as from a Zippo, can impart odor/flavor, but there are versions that are odorless.

Reactions: step.eng69
Monica Lewinsky. Not her per se, I imagine nowadays she would ruin the flavor.

A friend just returned from Cuba and gave me a Cohiba, Siglo II. I am not a cigar smoker but I would like to smoke this just for the experience. Does anyone have any words of wisdom to fully enjoy this?

If your friend purchased the Siglo for $20-$30 each dollars from a government authorized store it is most likely a “real” Cuban. I was into quality cigars for around 10 years, haven’t had a cigar in the last two years and I still have two-53 qt. Igloos filled w/boxes at the proper temperature & humidity in the office. During that time I spent time learning about “Cubans” anticipating going out on a limb and purchasing from another country.

Several friends of mine that traveled to various vacation islands would bring back a few Cuban cigars for me. Out of around 10 cigars gifted to me, most were Montecristos. My brother-in-law bought a box of Cobias’ from a close friend in Harrisburg. They were fake, and so were the Montecristos. While my son & grandson were in Ireland for the game, they were going to send me a few Cohiba Esplendidos. When I searched the store on line, the cigars were $40 a piece and told the boys to scratch the idea.

Try the links below and compare the information with your cigar. I hope you have luck. Also, If you search you will probably find a profile of your particular cigar: triple cap, particular aroma prior to lighting, ash burn consistency and so on.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/counterfeit
http://www.dutyfreecubancigars.com/fakes.htm

“Just because the cigars are from Cuba does not make them authentic premium Habanas. In fact, a good portion of the fakes on the market actually come from tourists who buy "Cuban" cigars from the throngs of street vendors. Most of these cigars are absolute crap. The only safe place to buy legit Havanas in Cuba is in a government state store.”

1219havana43che-e1419229674818.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Blue12
I haven't smoked a stogie since my daughter was born 18 yrs ago. This should be interesting.
Make sure your have your affairs in order then!! Just kidding, the Siglo is a more medium-bodied Cohiba. But still, all Cohibas pack a punch, so proceed with caution. Take time to contemplate the wrapper and the construction between draws. Those rollers in Cuba are artists!!

As others pointed out, set aside plenty of time to enjoy the cigar and finish it. Something changes chemically once the cigar has been started, so there's no relighting it the next day. And note how the flavor changes as you work your way through the cigar. My experience with Siglo is that it starts off very strong and then mellows, but your mileage may vary.

Highly recommend a good Islay Scotch (Laphroaig, Lagavulin) to go along with a cigar. Rum is fine, but there is something about the peaty smokiness of a Scotch that can hold its own with a good cigar.

All the Cubans pack a punch. I spoke Dominicans. Far more mild.
Most Cubans blow my head off. On the Island they are fresh
And milder. As they travel and dry out they can get mighty wicked.

Take your time. Small puffs and take breaks.

Triple refined butane & and warm the foot prior to lighting.

Yup, not a good idea to incinerate the tobacco on lighting otherwise it will produce some nasty flavors. Care needs to be taken with torches that generate a ton of heat.

Quality of the butane has no effect on the cigar, but gas that goes through fewer refining processes can foul butane lighters, many of which can be very finicky.

Yup, not a good idea to incinerate the tobacco on lighting otherwise it will produce some nasty flavors. Care needs to be taken with torches that generate a ton of heat.

Quality of the butane has no effect on the cigar, but gas that goes through fewer refining processes can foul butane lighters, many of which can be very finicky.
Exactly Art, the clean butane is for the operation of the lighter.

I am jealous. They are usually pretty potent, you need some strong alcohol to bring you down from the buzz

Start with a big desk and a girl with a blue dress, and the rest will take care of itself. Don't get a big girl and a blue desk, easily confusable. Slick Willie got confused.

I was into quality cigars for around 10 years, haven’t had a cigar in the last two years and I still have two-53 qt. Igloos filled w/boxes at the proper temperature & humidity in the office.
Where exactly is your office Step??? Alarm code will help.

LJ most importantly don't inhale, a few deep draws on a Cuban and your head will spin. 1792 Bourbon is a great sipper, that is so good tasting by itself or with a cigar. Smoke it outside on a beautiful night with some Allman Brothers in the background.

I smoke a lot of cigars but have had periods as long as 6 months where I haven't had any. Once, after a long break, I enjoyed a very nice Partagas that was pretty strong and became very nauseated. I went to my local cigar shop a few weeks later and shared my experience. One of the regulars there informed me that eating chocolate while smoking a cigar really minimizes the nausea. I smoked the same cigar that day while enjoying some Hershey's Nuggets and didn't have a problem. I now always have some good chocolate with my cigars. Enjoy a few nuggets (or something else you like) with that Cubano!

I smoke a lot of cigars but have had periods as long as 6 months where I haven't had any. Once, after a long break, I enjoyed a very nice Partagas that was pretty strong and became very nauseated. I went to my local cigar shop a few weeks later and shared my experience. One of the regulars there informed me that eating chocolate while smoking a cigar really minimizes the nausea. I smoked the same cigar that day while enjoying some Hershey's Nuggets and didn't have a problem. I now always have some good chocolate with my cigars. Enjoy a few nuggets (or something else you like) with that Cubano!
So your bride "the Easter Bunny" is getting you chocolate cigars for Easter? :confused:

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
I assume you already smoked the cigar, but if you didn't yet, might I recommend another strategy? Since you really haven't smoked anything else, you have nothing to compare it with. I suggest buying 2 or 3 other cigars and enjoying them over a 2 or 3 week period. Store your Cuban properly in the meantime. Then in 4 or so weeks, smoke your Cuban. Then you'll have a baseline to compare it to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT