ADVERTISEMENT

Zain/Yianni wrestle off location

@smalls103 @ChristianPyles

Any chance you could comment on the flo numbers for viewers for the event. If you cant give specific numbers can you say if the muckety mucks thought it was a streaming success????

Really smart analysis of the Zain Yianni match(es)

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/9/...zain-retherford-vs-yianni-diakomihalis-part-5

Note that he goes full Zapruder on the points awarded to Zain. I disagree those are Yianni's points but it's worth pointing out that Yianni does this all the time, i.e., he steals the initiator's points by pushing off a foot just as he's about to get exposed, making it appear that he initiated.

I don't think the relevant question is who was exposed first, but who more clearly initiated the sequence. Or put another way: but for Wrestler X's "initiation," would that scoring sequence have happened at all? Now ask same for Wrestler Y. Zain forcefully crotch-lifted Yianni and was going to score. All credit to Yianni for having the otherworldly sense to essentially jump the line, but Zain was only getting exposed because he consciously took the risk to score himself.

Last edited:
That’s really cool, I’ve never met him so I didn’t know.

FWIW, Zain is the same way. Remember when he stopped and gave his headgear to the little boy in the crowd after winning his first NCAA championship?

At the 2017 US Open, I met a nice older gentleman named Jeff who was wearing a Penn State shirt. Turned out it was Zain's uncle from Manheim, PA who had moved to Las Vegas to escape the PA winters. A little while later, Zain showed up so I got to talk to him for about 15 - 20 minutes. He's a totally down to Earth young man. Someone who you would want to see your daughter with except he's already taken. A young boy came up to us and asked me to take his picture with Zain. He was more than happy to oblige him. It's awesome that he gets to represent our country at the World championships.

A few months ago, someone started a thread that claimed Zain was overrated because he had not beaten any elite wrestlers.
!

Well someone should tell that joker that in folk everyone was avoiding him :)

And it has to be noted that there's a gulf-wide difference in access Flo has to Yianni versus, well, any Penn State wrestler or alum. I doubt that consciously colors their bias, but their rooting interest here has always been apparent.

This x1,000,000.

FLO give PSU plenty of love (because how can you not when they are the best with a gigantic fan base), but even after the event the headlining video was Yianni's reaction to the loss and not Zain's reaction to the win. Then the headline to Zain's video was "ZAIN WAS ANGRY," when in reality he explained the whole situation and if IIRC he used angry because the elongated summer messed with his engagement plans and forced his coaches into more work-- it was a pure click bait headline...which yeah that's what they are after so maybe shame on me.

Maybe the click numbers support that they should be all in on Yianni or my Zain bias has made me see things differently.

I generally like the FLO guys and listen to FRL but them pretending to not have a bias towards Yianni (especially CP) is pretty funny. At times it feels like Nomad has tried to morph into a troll or "personality" instead of simply being the beautiful nerd with a massive amount of Freestyle knowledge. WIllie is Willie and his schtick, isn't really a schtick so it comes off as authentic to me. (Also, shout out Penn State Willie). Everyone loves Yianni. He gives them access. It's simple, I get it. We all get it, so acknowledge it.

Last FLO note, the stream was far from perfect or even good again....no audio on such a huge event?!?! C'mon Man!

Hey Turk, finally made it over here! So if Yanni won, what would it of been, 1 minute? Well at least the best guy won, right, that's all you wanted. Welcome on board the Zain Train!
I'm always over here Tiger. I was rooting for Zain whether you believe me or not. He reminds me of Metcalf. I predicted Zain to win before the match. And hell yes go get some hardware Zain! USA!

nerf, or anyone that attended... if you were to guess, how was the crowd aligned, ballpark guess (50/50, 60/40 Zain, 60/40 Yianni, etc.)?

For personal reasons, I was unable to go, so just asking. We sent a ton of emails (PSU to season ticket holders, NLWC to members, and PSWC to members, each sent two), prior to tickets going on sale in an attempt to get a decided home-mat advantage for Zain.
I was there--I would say 70/30 in favor of Zain

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT