ADVERTISEMENT

Zain to157 and Pipher to 149 for this dual. Cael wants to keep the streak alive!

Would laugh out loud if Jordan has to face Retherford in this dual, but don't think it will happen. Sanderson likes to keep his guys at their normal weight class and minimize juggling, even for a single dual.

Reactions: yekrut321
I have a friend who's a casual PSU fan who claims that he read an article that suggested that Cortez is ready to go and that PSU may field Cortez (41), Lee (49) and Zain at 57. Who knows. I do believe that lineup likely gives us a better chance of winning than to simply insert Bo (or someone else) into the lineup somewhere.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Not sure I agree...Cortez won't beat McKenna and just coming back from injury likely could get majored and Lee should beat McKenna. Zain majors/techs/pins Hayes, Lee likely wouldn't having to bump up and less of chance of him (Zain) teching or pinning a bigger Micah than Hayes in my opinion. Doing this likely nets PSU 4 points (Cortez loss, Lee regular dec., Zain major). Staying in the regular lineup and inserting Pipher at 157 nets PSU 5 with a chance of 6 if Lee majors McKenna (Lee win, Zain pin, Pipher loss (major)).

PSU can still win without Nolf, but there is no room for error. I also like the home match advantage at Rec Hall and Ryan has already set up the excuse train which I think will negatively impact his kids:

1. Will we see Kuhn and can he avoid giving up 5 or 6 to NATO, keeping it to a major would be big, but I think a tech fall is likely 5-0 OSU...anything less than giving up 5 team points is big for PSU
2. Can Keener avoid getting majored by Pletcher, I say yes... 8-0 OSU
3. Can Lee major McKenna? I think so...8-4 OSU
4. Need a pin from Zain over Hayes, 10-8 PSU
5. Need to avoid a tech or pin against Micah, I'll say a major 12-10 OSU
6. Need bonus from Cenzo, 14-12 PSU
7. Need Hall to beat BoJo, 17-12 PSU...a loss here would swing the match
8. Need Bo to beat MyMar, 20-12 PSU...a loss here would swing the match
9. Can Rasheed pull the upset? If not, just a regular decision for OSU 20-15 PSU...
10. All Nevills needs to do is not get teched or pinned by Snyder, but I think he at least gets majored...PSU 20-19. Lets hope Snyder is tired from the travel to Russia and the "long bus ride."

I'm not sure who gets to determine where the match starts, but if it's OSU, I'm certain they will pick 125...if PSU has any say, I hope they go random draw to avoid the inevitable NATO/Pletcher wins to start the dual and give OSU momentum.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Not sure I agree...Cortez won't beat McKenna and just coming back from injury likely could get majored and Lee should beat McKenna. Zain majors/techs/pins Hayes, Lee likely wouldn't having to bump up and less of chance of him (Zain) teching or pinning a bigger Micah than Hayes in my opinion. Doing this likely nets PSU 4 points (Cortez loss, Lee regular dec., Zain major). Staying in the regular lineup and inserting Pipher at 157 nets PSU 5 with a chance of 6 if Lee majors McKenna (Lee win, Zain pin, Pipher loss (major)).

PSU can still win without Nolf, but there is no room for error. I also like the home match advantage at Rec Hall and Ryan has already set up the excuse train which I think will negatively impact his kids:

1. Will we see Kuhn and can he avoid giving up 5 or 6 to NATO, keeping it to a major would be big, but I think a tech fall is likely 5-0 OSU...anything less than giving up 5 team points is big for PSU
9. Can Rasheed pull the upset? If not, just a regular decision for OSU 20-15 PSU...
10. All Nevills needs to do is not get teched or pinned by Snyder, but I think he at least gets majored...PSU 20-19. Lets hope Snyder is tired from the travel to Russia and the "long bus ride."

I'm not sure who gets to determine where the match starts, but if it's OSU, I'm certain they will pick 125...if PSU has any say, I hope they go random draw to avoid the inevitable NATO/Pletcher wins to start the dual and give OSU momentum.
No one coach gets to decide where the match starts. It is either agreed upon both coaches or pulled out of a hat.

Reactions: billrag
No one coach gets to decide where the match starts. It is either agreed upon both coaches or pulled out of a hat.

I thought if there was no coach agreement then it defaulted to 125, so basically Tan Tom can force 125 by not agreeing to random or set start somewhere else.

I wrote up a match summary that matched this almost exactly as the most likely path to a PSU victory. Only difference was hoping we could keep 125 to a major although that might be unlikely. Have to eek out the extra points where we can, win the 2 huge tossups, and limit their bonus. Or just have Rasheed lock up the cradle. Either works for me.

I thought if there was no coach agreement then it defaulted to 125, so basically Tan Tom can force 125 by not agreeing to random or set start somewhere else.
It’s the opposite. Coaches must agree to start at 125 or it becomes a random draw. There is no provision for coaches to agree to start at another weight.

The selection of a starting weight is allowed at some tournaments in the finals.

It’s the opposite. Coaches must agree to start at 125 or it becomes a random draw. There is no provision for coaches to agree to start at another weight.

The selection of a starting weight is allowed at some tournaments in the finals.
It will be interesting... Cael has always preferred 125 start out of tradition or consistency or whatever. In this case it might not be a great starting weight for PSU... but I am guessing he will stick with it anyway.

Not sure if it's a new rule or not but Wyoming vs South Dakota St agreed to start at 149 so the Merideth vs Gross match would be last.I don't recall the dual but I remember it happening last year also.

They said in Flo that Cael was really upset last year when BoNo sat out against Hall. I hadn’t heard this anywhere. Any truth to that or were they just talking out their ¥£€? It doesn’t seem like Cael worries too much about other teams- he focuses on his guys.

Coaches either agree on starting weight, or there is a random draw. I'd like to see 197 first, but I'm guessing they'll do 125, because Tan Man is strategic, and Cael is more prone to let the wrestlers do the talking.

No sense paraphrasing...this on is straightforward...

Section 8. Determining Wrestling Order — Dual Meets
Art. 1. Protocol. Immediately after the weigh-in for a dual meet or multiple dual
meets conducted on the same day, coaches may mutually agree to determine the
starting weight class for the match(es). If coaches cannot agree on the starting
weight class, a random draw shall be conducted to determine which weight
class will be wrestled first. Once the first weight class is established, either by
agreement or random draw, subsequent matches will continue in the traditional
sequence of increasing weight class order.

"what-ifs" are great when brainstorming...at some point, the best ideas need to go through risk-reward thinking, as mtattivo says above. Imo, too much risk, not enough reward here...

Reactions: lobo lion

Art. 1. Protocol. Immediately after the weigh-in for a dual meet or multiple dual
starting weight class for the match(es). If coaches cannot agree on the starting
class will be wrestled first. Once the first weight class is established, either by
Dangit. I hate when facts get in my way.

"what-ifs" are great when brainstorming...at some point, the best ideas need to go through risk-reward thinking, as mtattivo says above. Imo, too much risk, not enough reward here...
Thankfully, there are no decision-makers here, so we all just brainstormin' and that's probably a little generous. ;)

I think not agreeing to start at 125 would be some positive gamesmanship on PSU's part. Yet another thing to mess with Ryan's and OSU's mindset.

Nail meet head. This assessment is about as accurate as I've see. Good thing the match only hinges on 125, 133, 141, 149, 157, 165, 174, 184, 197 and Heavy. I was worried for a minute. Good job clucas.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul

There may not be a specific provision, but Cael and Rider's head coach agreed to start the 2013 dual at HWT so Quentin's last home dual match would be the last match of the night.

Reactions: JBott
If there was an interest in moving Zain to 157 the order is not going to be Cortez, Lee and Zain.
Lee stays at 141 and beats McKeena.
Cortez goes at 149 and probably does not win, but I believe can win this match.
Zain has to wrestle weighing basically 150, but it won't make any difference. Zain will maul the snot out of Jordan. Best case this could be 13 - 0 PSU. Worst case is 8 - 3 PSU.
If they keep Zain at 149 and put Bo or Luke at 157 the best case is probably 10 - 4 PSU. Worst case 8 - 5 PSU.

I doubt we see it, but
141 Lee
149 a healthy Cortez
157 Zain
might just make Tom think to himself, "damn, I didn't see them handling it that way."

I stand corrected, thanks. I thought 125 was the default and that was why Cael almost always chose it, also because it was easy to let it default there. I could see some coaches not agreeing and going random just to be unagreeable. I guess not. Thanks for the info.

There may not be a specific provision, but Cael and Rider's head coach agreed to start the 2013 dual at HWT so Quentin's last home dual match would be the last match of the night.
Post 19 contains the rule...

I like the idea of a random draw because the default setting (a) finds us probably losing the first two matches and (b) leaves Snyder in a position to determine the outcome.

I think Cael usually take the approach of "It doesn't matter where we start", but, I hope he chooses the random draw. As mentioned above, not so much to avoid starting at 125, but, to avoid ending at 285 with Snyder knowing what is needed to win. On the other side, I'd love it if we got lucky and it ended with Zain knowing what is needed for us to win.

I think Cael usually take the approach of "It doesn't matter where we start", but, I hope he chooses the random draw. As mentioned above, not so much to avoid starting at 125, but, to avoid ending at 285 with Snyder knowing what is needed to win. On the other side, I'd love it if we got lucky and it ended with Zain knowing what is needed for us to win.

Cael has said many times he prefers to start duals at 125 because the post season tournaments start at 125.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT