ADVERTISEMENT

Zain Retherford wins Hodge Trophy

Article from WIN Magazine here:
https://www.win-magazine.com/2017/0...re-house-dan-hodge-trophy-presented-by-asics/

Retherford received 33 of 45 first-place Hodge Trophy votes to win the award known as wrestling’s version of the Heisman Trophy. The Nittany Lion junior finished well ahead of two 2016 Olympic medalists — Missouri’s J’den Cox and Ohio State’s Kyle Snyder— and sophomore teammate Jason Nolf, whose domination at 157 pounds this past season was stride for stride with Retherford’s stats.

Cox, the three-time champ and 2016 Olympic bronze medalist, finished second in Hodge voting with five first-place Hodge votes from the official Hodge Committee made up of every past Hodge winner, national wrestling media, a retired college coach from each region of the country and a representative of the national wrestling organizations. Snyder, a two-time NCAA champ, Olympic and World gold medalist, was third in the 2017 Hodge race with four votes, while Nolf received the final three votes.

So first place votes:
Zain 33 (2 from fan vote)
Cox 5
Snyder 4
Nolf 3

Congrats Zain! In my opinion, Jason Nolf was the most outstanding wrestler this season but Zain is such a hammer that it doesn't bother me either way. Nolf never had that overtime match or close match like Zain did with Sorenson and Collica. And IMO Kemerrer was a better quality win prefered to Sorenson even with Sorenson past creditals. Just an opinion but good for Zain, great kid.

From the article...for those that will be attending the PSWC Awards Luncheon...

As in past years, Retherford will be officially awarded the Hodge Trophy at the team’s wrestling banquet on April 9. He then will be publically presented the award a second time at a fall football game in the same Beaver Stadium where Taylor was presented his two Hodges in front of over 100,000 people sometime this fall.

On Off The Mat, during the NCAA Finals, they asked DT if he had 2 votes or 1 vote. He indicated that he had 1 vote.
One vote, but each voter (pretty sure this hasn't changed) gets a 1st Place, 2nd Place, 3rd Place, and 4th Place vote. The math is simple after that...4 Points for a 1st Place vote, 3 Points for a 2nd Place vote, 2 Points for a 3rd Place vote, and 1 Point for a 4th Place vote. WIN used to publish the total points, now all they publish is the number of 1st Place votes.

So that's 6 of the last 7 national championships, and 3 of the last 6 Hodge Trophies? Sounds like a pretty good run to me.
Honestly cant figure out how Nolf wasnt second. Nobody challenged him this year. No OT's or close matches. Maybe international success has some voting power? Snyder was dominant when he wrestled... but he didnt earn a place in the final selection, imo.

Reactions: lionlover
So that's 6 of the last 7 national championships, and 3 of the last 6 Hodge Trophies? Sounds like a pretty good run to me.
Honestly cant figure out how Nolf wasnt second. Nobody challenged him this year. No OT's or close matches. Maybe international success has some voting power? Snyder was dominant when he wrestled... but he didnt earn a place in the final selection, imo.
Cox was probably 2nd because he's a senior and a certain number of voters will go for the senior, official criteria be damned.

Reactions: lionlover
Cox was probably 2nd because he's a senior and a certain number of voters will go for the senior, official criteria be damned.

Yeah, past credentials are supposed to be #5 on the list of criteria but the voter often seem to ignore that when voting.

Sorensen beat Kemerer in freestyle before the season. Kemerers best position is probably on his feet...so if Sorensen won in free, I'd wager he was winning in folk too.

I would argue he probably should be 2nd, and Snyder should be the 4th given how little he wrestles in college anymore.

Congrats to Zain!!

Just curious. Does Cael get 3 votes or just 1

Good question -

Believe someone asked 2-time winner David Taylor about Hodge voting, during the ESPN3 discussion panel broadcast and he said he only gets one vote.

Good question -

Believe someone asked 2-time winner David Taylor about Hodge voting, during the ESPN3 discussion panel broadcast and he said he only gets one vote.
Yeah,but he lost a couple matches so that's probably a couple vote deduction.;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT