ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Season

Just heard PSU has announced Remote-Only learning until February 15. By rule, does this end/shorten the wrestling season?

No guidance on that in the release. I tend to doubt that it will impact athletics, as PSU was closed to in-person classes since Thanksgiving break, though they still played football.

The B1G could interrupt BB and delay other sports that were hoping to start in January -- that remains to be seen.

I just did a search this morning and 20/69 schools that as far as I know are planning are competing this year have some kind of a schedule released:

ACC (3/6): NC State, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech
Big 12 (6/12): Iowa State, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, Oklahoma, Utah Valley, West Virginia
Big Ten (0/14):
EIWA (3/10): Hofstra, Lehigh, Navy
MAC (3/13): Missouri, Northern Illinois, Ohio
Pac-12 (0/6):
SoCon (5/8): Appalachian State, Chattanooga, Gardner-Webb, The Citadel, VMI

Bellarmine and Cal Baptist also have schedules out but are still in transition periods and not eligible for the NCAA Championship.

Reactions: diggerpup
Is there a correlation between people who use closed captioning or subtitles while watching screens and people who talk/troll about spreadsheets/apps?

Is there a correlation between people who use closed captioning or subtitles while watching screens and people who talk/troll about spreadsheets/apps?
[/Q

Just speaking for myself, I have way too many things going at once to dedicate the attention that subtitles/cc requires.

Just saw today they will not be announcing conference allocations until Thursday, February 25. I guess they want to see how many teams are still going at the point but it seems odd to do it the Thursday before the majority of the conference tournaments: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ch.../2020-21D1MWR_QualifierAllocationCriteria.pdf

Interesting they also have a scenario for 24 qualifiers for weight still in the mix.
Some conferences decided to go a week earlier this year.Sunday Feb 21 will be last day of the regular season.

Some conferences decided to go a week earlier this year.Sunday Feb 21 will be last day of the regular season.

Yeah. I guess my point was that if this is based on historical data it really shouldn't matter when then regular season ends this year although I guess I understand they want to wait until it is officially "postseason" time.

Reactions: west2east
It seems Baschamania has taken down episode 83, which it took me the better part of this morning to figure out. Does anyone know why, or how to find it? Thanks

It seems Baschamania has taken down episode 83, which it took me the better part of this morning to figure out. Does anyone know why, or how to find it? Thanks
I received a Rokfin email yesterday saying episode 83 with Cael was just posted. I checked it out then realized it wasn’t a new interview. So it was up last evening, but I just checked again and it’s saying it’s not available. I know this doesn’t answer your question but I wanted you to know I’m seeing the same thing.

Reactions: Doak
Speaking of Bashamania, did anyone see the interview with Cenzo, RBY, and Gilman? I watched it last night and then watched the HWC interview with Spencer Lee. TG was correct with the statement that the HWC doesn’t have anyone marketable.

Last edited:
Speaking of Bashamania, did anyone see the interview with Cenzo, RBY, and TG? I watched it last night and then watched the HWC interview with Spencer Lee. TG was correct with the statement that the HWC doesn’t have anyone marketable.

Help me out here. Who is TG?

I went through former Nittany Lions looking for those initials, then even scanned the NLWC line-up for tonight, the only one with TG initials was The Grinch.🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
We are running out of hours in the "middle" of this week if the conference's hope was really to release the schedule by that point. Although I only count 26 schedules out of 49 outside of the Big 10 and Pac 12 (both schools have none) that have been released and there will be some teams starting on January 1/2.

Everybody in York knows 83 is perpetually under construction! Amiright, @amalone?
At my exit at Mt Rose Ave... it's been under construction roughly for 3 to 4 years. It's INSANE. Kinsley Construction, one of the state's biggest contractors, walked away from the job because of extreme time and then cost over runs.

Another twist to the Big 10 schedule. I was listening to the NCAA Preview show on Rokfin and apparently some Big 10 schools are only allowed to wrestle one school a day.

I don't think it was mentioned which they were.

Another twist to the Big 10 schedule. I was listening to the NCAA Preview show on Rokfin and apparently some Big 10 schools are only allowed to wrestle one school a day.

I don't think it was mentioned which they were.
In my opinion, the way the big 10 has handled this situation from the football season, to canceling womens volleyball, and now the wrestling schedule and season is a complete joke and lack of leadership. Interesting how most conferences were fine playing football, but not the big 10 until immense pressure was applied. Same with women's volleyball, no season although many others played. Now wrestling, about 1 week till the season and still no schedule. Very disappointing in my opinion.

Reactions: 1AA and jack66
In my opinion, the way the big 10 has handled this situation from the football season, to canceling womens volleyball, and now the wrestling schedule and season is a complete joke and lack of leadership. Interesting how most conferences were fine playing football, but not the big 10 until immense pressure was applied. Same with women's volleyball, no season although many others played. Now wrestling, about 1 week till the season and still no schedule. Very disappointing in my opinion.
Disappointing but not surprising... they literally cannot get out of their own way. The need special rules... have to be smarter than the rest. It would be interesting to know if BIG “leadership” even realizes that BIG wrestlers have been wresting for months competitively.
But BIG has to be special. I’d bet any amount of money they will come up with some “extra” rules that no one else has so they can be “safer”. Probably eliminate overtime or something ....

Disappointing but not surprising... they literally cannot get out of their own way. The need special rules... have to be smarter than the rest. It would be interesting to know if BIG “leadership” even realizes that BIG wrestlers have been wresting for months competitively.
But BIG has to be special. I’d bet any amount of money they will come up with some “extra” rules that no one else has so they can be “safer”. Probably eliminate overtime or something ....

I think its important to understand "who" is the Big 10 Conference. The Big 10 Conference is ultimately the Presidents of the 14 schools. Kevin Warren/staff are hired to oversee the administration of the conference but ultimately he has to answer to the Presidents. If they are not happy with the safety protocols in place (travel, testing, quarantine periods, safety at venues, etc.) they can pull the plug on the season. So to me it is worth it to make sure everybody is on 100% on board with the plan. This is the unfortunate reality of wrestling right now but there are not going to be too many college presidents who are losing sleep if wrestling season doesn't happen in my opinion just because the financial impact is not as big as football or basketball. Not saying that don't care at all but should the worst case scenario happen they don't want to be the ones who have to answer why they let a season happen that resulted in people in ICU or worse.

I have probably just kicked the hornets next with that last comment as I know the odds are very low but the reality is that those odds are not 0%.

Reactions: jtothemfp
If they are dumb enough to think that letting 200 wrestlers do something that a) they have been doing for the last 6 months, and b) is statistically proven to add no more risk to a college student as any of 50 things they would be doing instead of wrestling, then they shouldn’t be college presidents or educators.

Odds are not 0 that they won’t be slammed on their head and break their neck. Odds are not zero that they won’t die due to complications from severe weight cut (which actually happened in BIG). That is a horrible standard.

I think its important to understand "who" is the Big 10 Conference. The Big 10 Conference is ultimately the Presidents of the 14 schools. Kevin Warren/staff are hired to oversee the administration of the conference but ultimately he has to answer to the Presidents. If they are not happy with the safety protocols in place (travel, testing, quarantine periods, safety at venues, etc.) they can pull the plug on the season. So to me it is worth it to make sure everybody is on 100% on board with the plan. This is the unfortunate reality of wrestling right now but there are not going to be too many college presidents who are losing sleep if wrestling season doesn't happen in my opinion just because the financial impact is not as big as football or basketball. Not saying that don't care at all but should the worst case scenario happen they don't want to be the ones who have to answer why they let a season happen that resulted in people in ICU or worse.

I have probably just kicked the hornets next with that last comment as I know the odds are very low but the reality is that those odds are not 0%.
I don’t think you kicked the hornets nest, but I do think that the leadership in other conferences weren’t oblivious to the risk. They still played on.
To take the side of it’s clearly too dangerous to play would be to take the side that leadership in the ACC, SEC, etc egregiously threw out kids to slaughter. We know that isn’t the case.
In fact, by playing at all, it was kind of an implicit, “yeah we overreacted”. Then changing the sit out rule only magnified it further.
With those changes, it’s hard for me to take the side of “did it for safety of this kids and liability concerns”. Those ships sailed on October 24.

Reactions: aalion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT