ADVERTISEMENT

World Team Trials - Sept 11 & 12

Not sure if RBY is recovered but .... he could win that field (dropping Spencer) Big question is RBY is his par terre defense, Vito rolled him like it was nothing (but that was 2 years ago) last time they met

Here's the list of guys that can either hit the refrigerator or elect to stay home:
I like Suriano over Arujau in the finals, but I imagine there are a handful of guys (Colon, Richards, Graff?) who always score points and will really benefit by not having to cut. It'll be interesting to see who goes where, since all the Olympic weights except HWT are locked up. I imagine a Parris v Gwiz final at HWT is plausible.

Reactions: diggerpup
Not sure if RBY is recovered but .... he could win that field (dropping Spencer) Big question is RBY is his par terre defense, Vito rolled him like it was nothing (but that was 2 years ago) last time they met
Didn't Vito have to take him down first to get those exposures?

Is Kerkvliet possibly going to register? With no Gable it’s a bit wide open. Gwiz, Parris, and Kerk would be a fun round robin for the spot

Reactions: diggerpup
Is Kerk currently training?

His IG account makes me think he’s getting big(ger) and recovering.

so they're just not wrestling those weights at all? what if any of the 4 pick up an injury and need to drop out? who gets the spot?

so they're just not wrestling those weights at all? what if any of the 4 pick up an injury and need to drop out? who gets the spot?

Most likely they'll revert to the Olympic Trials alternates.

So that means Gwiz will be filling in for Gable? That seems fair.

If an alternate is needed for the non-contested weights(57, 74, 86, 97) they will use the results of the Olympic Team trials. So it would be Vito, Burroughs, Nickal and Moore as next man in.

*no idea how it would play out if Burroughs were to win the spot at 79 and later Dake drops out... Maybe he would get choice of weight???

For the other weights(61, 65, 70, 79, 92, and now 125), any needed alternates will come from the results of the upcoming WTT.

Below link is from the USA Wrestling website outlining the procedures:

Excuses are for wussies.
So are knee ligaments!😉
Just curious, Spencer said that in reference to wrestling through the NCAA's from hurting the knee at the Big10's...but he did sort of use that excuse in not wrestling at the trials. So, are excuses are for wusses only valid when it benefits your own narrative and not really a general mantra to live by?

Just curious, Spencer said that in reference to wrestling through the NCAA's from hurting the knee at the Big10's...but he did sort of use that excuse in not wrestling at the trials. So, are excuses are for wusses only valid when it benefits your own narrative and not really a general mantra to live by?
I don’t recall the quotes from Spencer re: trials. Please link them so I can judge a guy that may be a 4 time champ. Thanks.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Spencer originally smiled and said "See you there" and that "He's going to go down swinging" but I think he was talked out of it.

Say what you want about him being able to wrestle NCAAs but not trials ... there will be more Olympics but if he didn't wrestle NCAAs, he loses his chance at 4 titles and similarly, that was 25 points lost in a team race they couldn't afford (though ironically, many might have said BEFORE NCAAs this year Iowa could have afforded that kind of gap) His knees were shot at that point anyways so it's not like skipping NCAAs to wrestle Olympic trials was likely going to help much but despite him saying Olympic Gold is his first goal, I don't know how it's not obvious to some that an Iowa team title is an equally important if not more goal to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: creamery freak
Not competing due to injury
vs.
Not losing due to injury, or not saying a loss was due to injury.

Totally the same thing. SMH.

Reactions: crablegs1
Spencer originally smiled and said "See you there" and that "He's going to go down swinging" but I think he was talked out of it.

Say what you want about him being able to wrestle NCAAs but not trials ... there will be more Olympics but if he didn't wrestle NCAAs, he loses his chance at 4 titles and similarly, that was 25 points lost in a team race they couldn't afford (though ironically, many might have said BEFORE NCAAs this year Iowa could have afforded that kind of gap)
he talked about it in a recent interview and that was exactly what happened. said he was even more beat up than anticipated post-ncaas and they didn't think he could have recovered enough to safely wrestle, especially with a significantly better field. There's a big difference between having to go through Schroder, Hildebrandt, and Courtney instead of Gilman, Fix, Suriano, Arujau, etc...

fwiw, he said he regrets not giving it a shot

Penn State and NLWC usually wait until the last few days to register for freestyle tournaments.

Anyone know (or have a good sense about) who might be competing in World Team Trials?

RBY, Nick Lee, Zain, Nolf, Starocci, Brooks, Kerk?

Aren't Starocci and Kerk still young enough to have been at Junior Trials/Worlds?

I was very surprised to see Donnell Washington as our Junior 79kg rep.

Aren't Starocci and Kerk still young enough to have been at Junior Trials/Worlds?

I was very surprised to see Donnell Washington as our Junior 79kg rep.
Cstar was but at last minute pulled out.

Penn State and NLWC usually wait until the last few days to register for freestyle tournaments.

Anyone know (or have a good sense about) who might be competing in World Team Trials?

I do not think Brooks will as 86kg is not being competed and most likely too small for 92 and way to big for 79. All of the others perfectly fit their respective weight classes.

Any update on RBY'S infection? I would think that will be a deciding factor for him.

I don’t recall the quotes from Spencer re: trials. Please link them so I can judge a guy that may be a 4 time champ. Thanks.
I guess I should have put 😂 or something else to indicate it was in jest. That being said it is widely speculated that he did not compete at trials because of an injury he sustained prior to the NCAA tournament. Man is a warrior battling through that, as Yianni did a few years back. To me, it shows 2 things, 1) the NCAA tournament is nothing compared to the Olympic Trials and 2) it is somewhat ironic that if, as speculated, he did not compete in the trials due to the injury he had when he won NCAA's and now makes money off that slogan. I wonder on barstools shirts that they sell for him if there is an asterisk* (again, that was a joke)

Good lord, if he ain't roiding, that's impressive. I do hear roids makes you angry though...

I'd certainly ho
This cox is standing tall and rock solid at 92kg

I'd certainly hope so!

I'm so curious to see who from the current PSU roster (if anyone) registers. RBY, Nick, and DGK most specifically, though Carter certainly too. It's not a stretch to see all 4 of those guys making the team, though likely not.

I'd certainly ho

Pimpin' ain't easy.

fcaa470b04b9918e9516ff2a0154d310.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT