ADVERTISEMENT

The incredible stupidity of many NFL GMs in its starkest form

He was great with a huge talent advantage over 95% of the teams that he played. It's not dominating with like talent but it is something. It's better than Ohio St during this era with the exact same talent advantage but no natties to show for it.
Saban had an advantage over OSU. The U.S. southeast was far more talent-rich than Ohio and the midwest. OSU did beat Alabama and won the natty in 2014. That said, Alabama was really good and has since been somewhat replaced by Georgia.

Yeah Saban lucked his way into all 7 of those national titles. 🤣

Saban is unquestionably the best coach in the history of the sport.
Joe Paterno had 4 times (1968-69, 73, 94) as many perfect seasons with no chance to play for a national title as Saban had full length perfect seasons (2009).

Saban had three national championships (2003, 2011, 2017) that were completely handed to him by ridiculous SEC homer voting. Paterno had 2 national title opportunities blatantly robbed by refs (2005 Michigan/Mike Hart fumble and 2008 Iowa/Scirotto DPI and Ohrnberger "holding" on preceding possession) and another 4, especially 1994, robbed by utterly egregious voting. Compare to the last two years of laughable homer officiating and voting for the Tide.

Then we have 2009, where Colt McCoy gets hurt; 2012, where undefeated Ohio State didn't play Notre Dame because they foolishly took its bowl ban instead of 2011; and 2020, which was an utter farce.

Saban over signed and cheated, and got both luck and privilege. Paterno was so scrupulously clean that envious cheaters like Switzer sarcastically called him "Saint Joe."

Even unadjusted for luck, and left with merely "two" national championships, Paterno's body of work is still more impressive.

At a minimum, Woody Hayes, Lou Holtz, Ara Parseghian, and Bill Snyder are more impressive than Saban anyway. Comparing Saban to Snyder is hilarious. Taking Kansas State from where it was to where it went is absolutely amazing.

A Penn State fan who calls Saban the GOAT shouldn't be allowed into Beaver
Stadium.

Last edited:
Saban had an advantage over OSU. The U.S. southeast was far more talent-rich than Ohio and the midwest. OSU did beat Alabama and won the natty in 2014. That said, Alabama was really good and has since been somewhat replaced by Georgia.
If you're an Ohio State fan, I assure you Woody was better than Saban. This is not a debatable point. For one example, the Big Ten was extremely good in the 1950s. Better than the SEC now. And Hayes generally dominated.

People fixate on "seven national championships" without examining the context of any of them.

Furthermore, Saban was a master of inheriting good situations at both LSU and Alabama. Heck, even Michigan State had decent talent when he went there. He never had to really build a program from scratch. Engle and Paterno did. Hayes kind of did. Bill Snyder and Fry did.

And you can thank Nick Saban and his over signing for the transfer portal.

When the context and things like strength of schedule are actually examined, this "Saban is the GOAT" crap is just the most noxious media hype even by today's lowly standards of intellect.

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Joe95
How many at MSU?
1998 MSU at Ohio State is honestly the most impressive accomplishment of Sabans career. I have no idea how Ohio State lost that game. If they hadn't muffed a punt, they actually might have gone on to cover the 28 point (!!) spread. That was the biggest upset of that decade.

That was over a decade ago now, it's not very relevant. Additionally, Ohio St's recruiting was just as good as Alabama's over the last decade. Saban has something to show for it. Ohio St choked on the big stage. That's coaching.

Heck, with Day they can't even beat a Michigan team that has only averaged top 15 recruiting. 3 teams over the last decade have had head and shoulders better talent than all of the rest - Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio St. Only 1 of them doesn't have a national title. The other 2 have absolutely dominated.

Joe Paterno had 4 times (1968-69, 73, 94) as many perfect seasons with no chance to play for a national title as Saban had full length perfect seasons (2009).

Saban had three national championships (2003, 2011, 2017) that were completely handed to him by ridiculous SEC homer voting. Paterno had 2 national title opportunities blatantly robbed by refs (2005 Michigan/Mike Hart fumble and 2008 Iowa/Scirotto DPI and Ohrnberger "holding" on preceding possession) and another 4, especially 1994, robbed by utterly egregious voting. Compare to the last two years of laughable homer officiating and voting for the Tide.

Then we have 2009, where Colt McCoy gets hurt; 2012, where undefeated Ohio State didn't play Notre Dame because they foolishly took its bowl ban instead of 2011; and 2020, which was an utter farce.

Saban over signed and cheated, and got both luck and privilege. Paterno was so scrupulously clean that envious cheaters like Switzer sarcastically called him "Saint Joe."

Even unadjusted for luck, and left with merely "two" national championships, Paterno's body of work is still more impressive.

At a minimum, Woody Hayes, Lou Holtz, Ara Parseghian, and Bill Snyder are more impressive than Saban anyway. Comparing Saban to Snyder is hilarious. Taking Kansas State from where it was to where it went is absolutely amazing.

A Penn State fan who calls Saban the GOAT shouldn't be allowed into Beaver
Stadium.
Just not fair, right?

Alabama is without a doubt the pinnacle of CFB programs. Of course they have had the advantage of having the best 2 CFB coaches ever in Bryant and Saban.

Quit trying to compare Joe to Saban, it only makes Paterno look bad.

That was over a decade ago now, it's not very relevant. Additionally, Ohio St's recruiting was just as good as Alabama's over the last decade. Saban has something to show for it. Ohio St choked on the big stage. That's coaching.

Heck, with Day they can't even beat a Michigan team that has only averaged top 15 recruiting. 3 teams over the last decade have had head and shoulders better talent than all of the rest - Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio St. Only 1 of them doesn't have a national title. The other 2 have absolutely dominated.

Fair enough. However, in the case of Michigan, they had a really good team last year. Before that, it helps if one knows what the opponent is going to do. It is really hard to win the NC. I have no problem with what OSU has accomplished, except their last game (Missouri). That was awful.

Fair enough. However, in the case of Michigan, they had a really good team last year. Before that, it helps if one knows what the opponent is going to do. It is really hard to win the NC. I have no problem with what OSU has accomplished, except their last game (Missouri). That was awful.
Well, I actually give teams a pass on non-playoff bowl games now. You never know what team is showing up and it is likely missing several key players. I didn't watch your bowl game. I only know that Michigan seems to be able to out-physical your much higher talent roster. It neutralizes the talent advantage that you've had. Day is soft and coaches tentative in big games. I think Franklin coaches that way in big games as well a lot and I like Franklin.

Yet he passed on getting Drew Brees so he could get Dante Culpepper. Not exactly an NFL savant.

I'm no fan of Saban's NFL career, but Brees was also coming off a pretty significant should injury on his throwing shoulder that had required surgery. Everyone was pretty much passing on him at that point and he went pretty cheap because of it.

Well, I actually give teams a pass on non-playoff bowl games now. You never know what team is showing up and it is likely missing several key players. I didn't watch your bowl game. I only know that Michigan seems to be able to out-physical your much higher talent roster. It neutralizes the talent advantage that you've had. Day is soft and coaches tentative in big games. I think Franklin coaches that way in big games as well a lot and I like Franklin.
I think that if the NCAA ever finishes its investigation of UM's sign stealing thing, some things will come to light.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Just not fair, right?

Alabama is without a doubt the pinnacle of CFB programs. Of course they have had the advantage of having the best 2 CFB coaches ever in Bryant and Saban.

Quit trying to compare Joe to Saban, it only makes Paterno look bad.
It really is tedious that these unemployed simpletons have to weigh in all the time. Every single employer in America is hiring and this guy, for example, is so incompetent that he can’t get a job. Sad.

I'm no fan of Saban's NFL career, but Brees was also coming off a pretty significant should injury on his throwing shoulder that had required surgery. Everyone was pretty much passing on him at that point and he went pretty cheap because of it.
And Culpepper was coming off a knee injury…not good for a mobile QB. And the Dolphins doctor cleared Brees to play. It was a bad decision….everyone makes them now and then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT