ADVERTISEMENT

Who does Jordan Van Den Berg [6-3, 279] remind you of on Penn State's 2021 football roster?

BWI PHIL GROSZ

May 29, 2001
Now before I tell you who I believe Jordan Van Den Berg [6-3, 279] is a physical carbon copy of on Penn State's 2021 football roster, I want to make it perfectly clear that Penn State has recruited Van Den Berg to play the 3-technique DT position on the Nittany Lions defensive line. That is because the general concensus of opinion seems to be that Van Den Berg might easily grow into a 6-foot-4, 290-pound 3-technique defensive tackle. And I fully understand why people feel that way.

That being said, I wasn't able to ignore the comment Iowa Western C.C. head football coach, Scott Strohmeier, made to Ryan Snyder of our BWI staff in an interview posted here in the Lions Den early this afternoon. When Strohmeier was asked where Van Den Berg would most likely play at Penn State here is what Strohmeier said and it makes a lot of sense when he said defensive tackle. "Yeah, I think that's what he's going to be. He played some [defensive] end for us and he could play end, depending on what he wants to weigh in at or what type of defense someone wants to run. He could be a strong-side defensive end in some schemes, but I think he will continue to grow and be an interior guy. Yeah, I think that's what he's going to be."

I can definitely see that could be exactly what takes place with Van Den Berg during his playing career at Penn State. We'll just have to wait and see what Van Den Berg's growth potential will be over the next two or three years. But when you take into consideration some of his physical characteristics I wonder if he might end up filling a similar role what seems to be emerging for Fr. DT/SDE Amin Vanover [6-4, 276].

Less than a year ago Van Den Berg was a 6-foot-3, 240-pound LB with 4.75 40-yard speed attacking opponents offenses all over the field. Van Den Berg's style of play reminds me of a former Penn State MLB named Greg Buttle [6-3, 230], who ended up being taken in the 3rd round of the 1978 NFL draft by the New York Jets. To say that Buttle had a highly aggressive style of play on the football field was a gross [thought you would like that comment] understatement. I always said that Buttle liked to inflict pain on the player he was tackling.

Not saying Van Den Berg's career will mirror image what took place with Buttle during the 1970s at either a 3-technique DT or strongside DE position on Penn State's defensive line, but I will say Van Den Berg's style of play and aggressive approach to the game totally reminds me of Buttle's hard nosed approach to the game.

That's the exact style of play Van Den Berg likes to utilize when he's playing the game. What catches my attention with Van Den Berg's play is that he hasn't lost any of that aggressive style of play with the 39 pounds he has added to his frame over a 18 month period of time. I just can't help but imagining Van Den Berg coming off the edge in certain down and yardage situations from the strongside DE position on the defensive line similar to what I see taking place with Vanover over the next couple of years during his Penn State career.

Van Den Berg is the type of player that can, hopefully, down the line provide Penn State with a solid Kevin Given's inside pass rush from the 3-technique DT position on the defensive line, plus he has the athleticism to be a potentially effective outside pass rusher from the SDE position. And he has the size and strength to possibly become a physically dominant SDE against the run. Really like the versatility he has an opportunity to provide down the line to Penn State's defensive line.

Right now Van Den Berg is at the infant stage of his football development and really no one knows for sure what will take place, but it will be interesting to see what develops. I really like the fact Penn State took a gamble giving Van Den Berg a scholarship offer. He's has four years of eligibility and doesn't take a scholarship away from any other possible DE or DT recruit in Penn State's class of 2022 with him immediately becoming eligible at Penn State and being part of Penn State's class of 2021. Van Den Berg is the perfect type of player to take a gamble on because I can't see a downside to him being part of Penn State's football team.

That then also means Penn State can now pay a little more recruiting attention to its No. 1 target at DT for its class of 2022 Kaleb Artis [6-5, 291] from Queens [N.Y.] St Frances Prep.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News