ADVERTISEMENT

Football Just read that van den Berg is no longer on the team.

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
Last edited:
Reactions: lazydave841
A couple years ago at the Beav we were beating OSU up until the 4th quarter. One of the biggest plays of the game was when PSU brought Van Den Berg in at DT. The OSU OC licked his chops and ran Henderson right at him for about a 60 yard TD. The OLG for the Buckeyes completely buried him at the LOS. You could have driven a TT sidelines through that hole it was so huge.

A couple years ago at the Beav we were beating OSU up until the 4th quarter. One of the biggest plays of the game was when PSU brought Van Den Berg in at DT. The OSU OC licked his chops and ran Henderson right at him for about a 60 yard TD. The OLG for the Buckeyes completely buried him at the LOS. You could have driven a TT sidelines through that hole it was so huge.
Unfortunately I was sitting in the North end zone where Henderson ended up. Confirmed that it was well blocked.

Van Den Berg was a late pick up- maybe a JUCO guy who also had the potential upside of just learning the game (isn't he South African?)

We have done a few experiments like this before- wasn't there a German DT body builder type recently too?

To contribute at the D l level takes exceptional ability and some good fortune. To be offered a scholly at a Power 5 school is an accomplishment in itself.

Jordan- if by some chance you or your parents read this thread- thanks for choosing us and giving us your best.

Know that many Penn Staters will root for you in your new destination.

Unfortunately I was sitting in the North end zone where Henderson ended up. Confirmed that it was well blocked.

Van Den Berg was a late pick up- maybe a JUCO guy who also had the potential upside of just learning the game (isn't he South African?)

We have done a few experiments like this before- wasn't there a German DT body builder type recently too?

To contribute at the D l level takes exceptional ability and some good fortune. To be offered a scholly at a Power 5 school is an accomplishment in itself.

Jordan- if by some chance you or your parents read this thread- thanks for choosing us and giving us your best.

I hope he can end up on one of the strong FCS programs.

Stout? What has he done? Was never gonna play.
He was playing in the DT rotation last season, and played in 11 games. "never" ??

Lots of talent returning at DT, but can't have enough experienced 300+lb DT's that clog up the running lanes. Every player has bad plays and he was still somewhat inexperienced. With less playing time van den Berg playing in 11 games had as many tackles as Beamon, who played in 13 games, in 2023.

But obviously with all the DT's from 2023 returning and the incoming 2024 class including 4 DT's there is going to be attrition of 2-4 DT's.

Last edited:
He was playing in the DT rotation last season, and played in 11 games. "never" ??

Lots of talent returning at DT, but can't have enough experienced 300+lb DT's that clog up the running lanes. Every player has bad plays and he was still somewhat inexperienced. With less playing time van den Berg playing in 11 games had as many tackles as Beamon, who played in 13 games, in 2023.

But obviously with all the DT's from 2023 returning and the incoming 2024 class including 4 DT's there is going to be attrition.
He left for a reason. We're fine at DT.

He went to high school in georgia.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Seriously?
He was kind of a project coming out of JUCO, I thought. It came down to us and Iowa the first time around. He seemed more like an Iowa fit to me. They normally get less talented or less polished athletes and coach them up because they have to.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Plenty of talented and experienced DT's still on the roster, but he seemed like a stout DT for the middle of the defense......

Edit: Rivalsl already had an article on it.

Big strong guy with potential. Just not good enough for elite level football. He will make a team like Toledo, Temple, pitt, or Akron happy.

He saw the writing on the wall when our starting DTs decided to come back.
Possibly saw the early enrollee DT's in the S&C program as well that could also be in competition for reps this season.

Wish him well and hope he finds a team where he can get the playing time he wants.

Things seem to have worked out in a positve way for the DT that went to WVU last off season, Mulbah(?). Similar MO in that he was also a weight room warrior.

Reactions: RickinDayton

But obviously with all the DT's from 2023 returning and the incoming 2024 class including 4 DT's there is going to be attrition of 2-4 DT's.
Now that you mention it, Beamon has never showed me enough to prove that he is a big 10 caliber starting defensive tackle. I would’ve given Van den Berg his reps.

Now that you mention it, Beamon has never showed me enough to prove that he is a big 10 caliber starting defensive tackle. I would’ve given Van den Berg his reps.

I don't have rep totals available, but I don't believe JVDB hit 125 snaps all of last year. Beamon was our #3 or #4 DT in snap count. If he were capable, JVDB would have taken snaps away from him instead of being strictly a 3rd string depth piece.

Perhaps Beamon isn't a starter or in the rotation at OSU or Michigan, but he's been a starter here (Big 10 level) and would probably start at most every school below our level in the conference.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Perhaps Beamon isn't a starter or in the rotation at OSU or Michigan, but he's been a starter here (Big 10 level) and would probably start at most every school below our level in the conference.
That's your opinion.

But from what I saw Durant in his true freshman season looked more active and disruptive than Beamon 2 years his senior that same year. And it was no surprise that Durant passed Durant on the depth chart.

It's great to have a DT as experienced as Beamon in the rotation. But it wouldn't surprise me to see one of the young players challege Beamon for some of his reps this season. And last season the middle of the DL didn't seem as stellar to me compared to many other B10 teams as you seem to believe by saying Beamon would start for most of the B10. The DE's seemed to be considerably better than the DT's. The PSU DT's will be very mature this season but that might not translate to any PSU DT's making first or 2nd team All B10. And we may find that Beamon loses reps to one of the up and coming young DT's especially against running teams where his past lack of size has shown itself.

Last edited:
That's your opinion.

But from what I saw Durant in his true freshman season looked more active and disruptive than Beamon 2 years his senior that same year. And it was no surprise that Durant passed Durant on the depth chart.

It's great to have a DT as experienced as Durant in the rotation. But it wouldn't surprise me to see one of the young players challege Beamon for some of his reps this season. And last season the middle of the DL was not as stellar compared to many other B10 teams as you seem to believe by saying Beamon would start for most of the B10. The PSU DT's will be very mature this season but that might not translate to any PSU DT's making first or 2nd team All B10. And we may find that Beamon loses reps to one of the up and coming young DT's especially against running teams where his past lack of size has shown itself.

Last years defense was fine in the middle outside of the Michigan game. Even in that game, they played good enough for the most part with a hamstrung offense and Diaz getting burned on 3rd and long (which, coincidentally, is downs when we didn't even play our DTs).

Beamon probably isn't a future NFL guy, but he's played better than Van Der Berg and this sets up better for this season (retaining a 6th year guy) and the future (the reps JVDB got can now go to a younger player who might develop into a starter eventually). JVDB is the DT equivalent of Elsdon. He's good enough to be on a roster, but a step down from the starters.

If guys like Brevard and Mulbah can leave here and start/be rotational players, I'm pretty sure Beamon would fare better at other schools if he chose to do so. He actually has played here. That isn't an opinion, that's fact.

Last years defense was fine in the middle outside of the Michigan game. Even in that game, they played good enough for the most part with a hamstrung offense and Diaz getting burned on 3rd and long (which, coincidentally, is downs when we didn't even play our DTs).

Beamon probably isn't a future NFL guy, but he's played better than Van Der Berg and this sets up better for this season (retaining a 6th year guy) and the future (the reps JVDB got can now go to a younger player who might develop into a starter eventually). JVDB is the DT equivalent of Elsdon. He's good enough to be on a roster, but a step down from the starters.

If guys like Brevard and Mulbah can leave here and start/be rotational players, I'm pretty sure Beamon would fare better at other schools if he chose to do so. He actually has played here. That isn't an opinion, that's fact.
Yep, it's a fact that he played at PSU. It's opinion that he would start for another decent B10 defense, which is what I was responding to.

I do agree that with the overload of DT's now on the roster, together with the talented 4 freshman DT's, that there will be a need for playing time for the freshman possibly this season and likely in 2025. And with the need to get to 85 by Fall together with having 4 freshman losing no DT's from last season there was for sure a need to trim the DT numbers. And I expect that there will be a surprise or two going forward by the summer regarding other DT's choosing to move on from PSU.

Comparing Brevard and Mulbah is rediculous. Mulbah was an inexperiened player, a local player (Harrisburg) and rated a low 3 star that had size and a frame that the staff believed they could possibly make a big DT out of. The staff took a flyer on him as big athletic DT's (like Brevard) are hard to find and they needed another DT in the class in addition to Brevard. Mulbah's other offers were Toledo and Buffalo and he wasn't even offered by Maryland.

Brevard on the other hand was one of the higher rated 4 star DT's that Franklin has ever recruited at PSU and had offers from Clemson, ND, FSU, Michigan, Oregon and others who obviously was a talented player and when he left PSU was likely going to excel somewhere else. You don't know why he left PSU and it could have been for something as unrelated to football as a girlfriend. Brevard was from Indiana hand could have just been home sick. And Brevard may have been starting at PSU had he not left.

Just more of the poor generalizations and lack of research and logic that go into your responses.

Last edited:
VDB played at PSU. We still have DTs who dont play. I think we are still about 13 over.

I’m with Greg on this. Beamon always had a much larger role on the defense than his actual performance merited. I am fine with him as depth, but he should not get significant reps this coming season. Just my 2 cents.

Yep, it's a fact that he played at PSU. It's opinion that he would start for another decent B10 defense, which is what I was responding to.

I do agree that with the overload of DT's now on the roster, together with the talented 4 freshman DT's, that there will be a need for playing time for the freshman possibly this season and likely in 2025. And with the need to get to 85 by Fall together with having 4 freshman losing no DT's from last season there was for sure a need to trim the DT numbers. And I expect that there will be a surprise or two going forward by the summer regarding other DT's choosing to move on from PSU.

Opinion, sure. I'd like to think if Brevard, who didn't ever take a snap (or less than 30 if he did play), could go to Purdue and start, Beamon likely could start on 7 or 8 Big 10 teams.

I'm not proclaiming him as a stud who will get drafted. He's been serviceable for us, which far exceeds JVDB.

Opinion, sure. I'd like to think if Brevard, who didn't ever take a snap (or less than 30 if he did play), could go to Purdue and start, Beamon likely could start on 7 or 8 Big 10 teams.

I'm not proclaiming him as a stud who will get drafted. He's been serviceable for us, which far exceeds JVDB.
Feel free to think it. Brevard was a highly rated recruit that didn't seem to be patient enough while at PSU to work to earn playing time. JMO. He also seems more talented than Beamon, and obviously is a bigger more physical DT than Beamon. So comparing the experience of the two at PSU or what might happen if Beamon was at Purdue is quite a stretch and pretty much meaningless.

No one said van den Berg "exceeds" Beamon, what ever that might mean. VDB's tenure at PSU was much shorter than Beamon's, who hasn't been able to win a starting spot in 5 years at PSU and won't likely this season either.

Imagine what the guys behind him probably looked like if they were unable to beat him out for his role.
Actually, both Ellies and Izzard were behind him for far too long IMO. Ellies FINALLY moved ahead of Beamon in the rotation about 2/3 the way through last season.

Feel free to think it. Brevard was a highly rated recruit that didn't seem to be patient enough while at PSU to work to earn playing time. JMO. He also seems more talented than Beamon, and obviously is a bigger more physical DT than Beamon. So comparing the experience of the two at PSU or what might happen if Beamon was at Purdue is quite a stretch and pretty much meaningless.

No one said van den Berg "exceeds" Beamon, what ever that might mean. VDB's tenure at PSU was much shorter than Beamon's, who hasn't been able to win a starting spot in 5 years at PSU and won't likely this season either.

Beamon has 18 starts and has appeared in over 40 games.

Exceeds isn't confusing, you just seem to want to defend your side, which is fine.

Beginning year 4 vs year 6 isn't much shorter. Beamon has been better than JVDB. Plain and simple. Durant got on the field and he wasn't highly regarded like a Brevard. And it doesn't matter about how long you have been here. Beamon has saw action since year 1. Durant as well. I'm sorry he didn't grow into a 300 lbs war daddy, but he's played. Not saying he was great, but he's played quite a bit.

Actually, both Ellies and Izzard were behind him for far too long IMO. Ellies FINALLY moved ahead of Beamon in the rotation about 2/3 the way through last season.

I don't disagree with Ellies and Izzard being better than Beamon. I would have liked to see both on the field together at times and I don't think we ever did.

Do you have snap counts? I would guess that Izzard and Durant logged the most snaps at DT. I just don't have the info (and snap counts are usually paywall).

Beamon has 18 starts and has appeared in over 40 games.

Exceeds isn't confusing, you just seem to want to defend your side, which is fine.

Beginning year 4 vs year 6 isn't much shorter. Beamon has been better than JVDB. Plain and simple. Durant got on the field and he wasn't highly regarded like a Brevard. And it doesn't matter about how long you have been here. Beamon has saw action since year 1. Durant as well. I'm sorry he didn't grow into a 300 lbs war daddy, but he's played. Not saying he was great, but he's played quite a bit.
I'm only responding because your opinions have holes in them. Exceeds isn't confusing, unless you use it as a generalization where there is actual data to look at.

"Beginning year 4 vs year 6 isn't much shorter" . Where did you learn to count experience? I believe Beamon has been playing for 4 years at PSU after a redshirt year. And I believe he was in the doghouse a year. VDB only played at PSU in the rotation 1 year after playing at a JC. So it's 3 years of playing vs 1. Most people would say that's about 200 % more playing time. "isn't much shorter" ????

No, I'm not defending "my side". I'm pointing out that every response to me by you has been an inaccurate generalization that you should post on your own, not as a response, because they have little to do with the point I made originally or in my responses to you.

Over and out.

Last edited:
Like others on this thread have indicated, we do have a numbers problem that has to be resolved. Being 12 or 13 over the limit means others are going to opt to leave or.......others are going to be encouraged to leave. We are going to wish a number of them were still around for depth but there is no way around it.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Like others on this thread have indicated, we do have a numbers problem that has to be resolved. Being 12 or 13 over the limit means others are going to opt to leave or.......others are going to be encouraged to leave. We are going to wish a number of them were still around for depth but there is no way around it.
Pretty much have to play some young players for depth in today's game for a couple of reasons. The first is the 85 limit combined with early exits to the NFL by players that have great seasons and the need to rotate at positions such as DE and DT. Also, at positions where a team brings in big numbers in a recruiting class and players with 4th and 5 year eligibility decide to stay a team would have too many scholarships committed to that position, which seems to be what has happened at DT for PSU in 2024.

But are they really encouraged to leave, or is the attrition more of a result of the talks that Franklin has with every player a couple times during each year. With Artis and Blanding possibly being up and coming young DT's along with the returning DT's that were possibly all ahead of van den Berg on the depth chart, and the 4 true freshmen DT's that have enrolled and been in Winter S&C where the staff has gotten a look at them Franklin may have just told van den Berg that he had gotten passed up and would likely be pushed further down the depth chart resulting in very little or no playing time in 2024.

As you wrote, those conversations and realizations will continue to happen through Spring practice and possibly into the Summer to get to 85 by Fall. Particularly at DT and WR, but likely at every position but QB.

Is it really a numbers "problem. Maybe Franklin has to have more tough conversations than normal but these things always work themselves out.

At the end of the day, Beamon is just a guy on the DL. All these games he's played and has just one sack.

He was converted from a DE as he seemingly wasn't athletic or explosive enough for the outside. So, as JF frequently does, he moves him to the inside, where he is a bit undersized. The interior DL has always been fine to not bad, under JF, but never LOS wreckers up front. PJ maybe being the exception until he got hurt. That is the one position where JF just can't seem to get true game changers -- and it is one in general that has very limited high-star guys to pick from. Very challenging situation.

Reactions: GregInPitt
I'm only responding because your opinions have holes in them. Exceeds isn't confusing, unless you use it as a generalization where there is actual data to look at.

"Beginning year 4 vs year 6 isn't much shorter" . Where did you learn to count experience? I believe Beamon has been playing for 4 years at PSU after a redshirt year. And I believe he was in the doghouse a year. VDB only played at PSU in the rotation 1 year after playing at a JC. So it's 3 years of playing vs 1. Most people would say that's about 200 % more playing time. "isn't much shorter" ????

No, I'm not defending "my side". I'm pointing out that every response to me by you has been an inaccurate generalization that you should post on your own, not as a response, because they have little to do with the point I made originally or in my responses to you.

Over and out.

VDB's tenure at PSU was much shorter than Beamon's

In one response it's tenure. In the followup it's experience. Pick one, run with it. On either regard, your opinion just flat out is bad. We are usually pretty agreeable, but I'll chalk this one up to agree to disagree.

Good day mate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT