ADVERTISEMENT

When is the proper time to change Beaver stadium name to Joe V. Paterno Memorial Stadium?

How about the twelfth of never! Why do bother posting such drivel? There are better ways to honor Joe.

How about the twelfth of never! Why do bother posting such drivel? There are better ways to honor Joe.
FWIW - I don't really have much of an opinion one way or another on the "statue". My hunch - and it is only a hunch, as I have no way of knowing for sure - is that the Paterno family could come up with a list of a dozen ways to honor/commemorate Joe Paterno's tenure that may be more appropriate than a statue. But, as I said, its really not my place to say....and I've got no problems with folks who may have other opinions on the matter, and I do think there are reasonable arguments to be made on all sides of that issue.

What I will say, is that the f&cking hypocrisy of all those who blather on about it "not being the right time"....while they trip all over themselves to bestow honorifics to a person like Dickless Erickson.....is incredible. This - obviously - includes Bloviating Barron and the entire feckless group of "leaders" at PSU.

FWIW

Never. I'm OK with Beaver Stadium but I would like the following:
  1. A statue of Joe in front of the library.
  2. A "409" plaque centered between the years on the east side of the stadium.
  3. An area outside the stadium honoring Joe and the Grand Experiment. It should make mention of graduation rates and list all of the academic All Americans that played for Joe.
You may not be able to count scholarships but I like this idea!
I kid, I kid

So......I would assume that you were - and remain - absolutely APPALLED that the Provost at the time of the "Sandusky Affair" has had his name enshrined on the Creamery Building.....right?

(Even though he did have INCREDIBLE 30 month tenure of outstanding service as the President of the University.)

Or that he was given the Penn State Medal.......right?

Or even that he was given a big fat bonus and an even bigger lifetime pension.....right?

After all....it is certainly quite likely that - as the second in command under Spanier - his name will surface as one of those folks "in the know".....once the trials are held......right?

I must not have been paying attention.....I seem to have missed your expressions of outrage with regard to those actions. ;)
I don't disagree with you. The food science building naming was a disgrace. Before naming a stadium after someone, I'd like to know exactly who did what and how everything went down. I believe the record will show joe did nothing wrong. But you know how the news outlets would treat this. Yes screw the media, but I don't want the media implying he covered anything up during the naming celebrations. I'd like him to be cleared once and for all so that we can tell the media to shove it once they start writing bullshit headlines. Say what you want, but the CSS trial will bring a lot of finality to this entire case.

Oh, and I'd rather give the state legislature some time to overhaul our BOD before we honor anyone. That way, we can be assured scumbags like Masser wouldn't screw anything up in honoring joe

I'm personally a big fan of the changing Curtain Rd to Paterno Way idea, with the stadium being 409 Paterno Way as an address. That way the road connecting the stadium and the library would bear his name and there would be a fitting message in that.

An area outside the stadium honoring Joe and the Grand Experiment. It should make mention of graduation rates and list all of the academic All Americans that played for Joe.

Love this idea. to be honest, if they do bring back the statue in front of the stadium, I'd love to see the annual records plaques replaced by a list of Academic All Americans. That would really be the way to honor Paterno in a way I think he would like. More than just wins and losses.

Reactions: fairgambit
I know there are a few camps on this, but I am in the YES camp for a change NOW! Will this happen any time soon? I doubt it, unless the upcoming trials reveal Joe's complete adherence to required actions in handling the JS situation. I am confident that Joe did what he was required to do by informing those who should have been told, but should (or COULD) he have done more is really the only question in my mind and probably everyone else's. I am also pretty certain that had he truly BELIEVED that JS really did what he was later convicted of, he WOULD have done more including thinking of beating the hell out of JS himself!
There was only one building Joe wanted his name on that was the library wing he added period

THIS.^^^^^ His statue in front of the library, rather than his name on the stadium, speaks directly to the kind of man Joe was.

Great post.
But given the manner and circumstances in which the statue was removed, it needs to go back where it was. Putting it in the middle of the campus where few fans will see it on football weekend reeks of compromise. That Joe was only partially responsible for child rape.

Besides, the library already honors Joe by its name and the statue also honors those who played for Joe.

Reactions: fairgambit
Never. I have tremendous respect for the Great Man, but he's neither a PA native nor Penn State grad. Look up James A. Beaver. That is our proud, honorable Penn State Tradition.

There's plenty of land around the stadium for a memorial park to Joe. Reinstall the statue, and supplement it with that great Grand Expermient idea.

Beaver Stadium is where Paterno coached; let it remain his legacy by that name forever, for others to follow.

Never. The only University that has the football stadium named after an ex-president and the library named after an ex-football coach...just the way Joe wanted things. I knew Joe somewhat well and I'm certain of this...
I agree.

This likely was suggested by others, but I would leave the decision about the stadium, or any other way to honor Joe, up to Sue. She obviously knew Joe better than anyone, and beyond that, I would not want anything done that would make her unhappy. Perhaps she has already done this, but she should put her thoughts about honoring Joe into writing in the event of her passing. Whatever she decides will be good enough for me.
Sue-Paterno-Joe-Paterno-wife.jpg

I have been on two or three different petitions from the start, to rename Beaver Stadium, "Paterno Stadium"...you will never see that however. What you WILL see, eventually, is what you have at Alabama or Auburn: A hyphenated name "Paterno-Beaver Stadium". I suspect we will see it, in approximately 5 to 10 years from now. As for the statue, I would love to see it put back in it's rightful place, exactly where it was.

Putting the statue back where it came from is probably the best idea. I also think each member of the BoT should have a similar sized statue sent to their homes or offices - so they can have a constant reminder of Joe.

I know there are a few camps on this, but I am in the YES camp for a change NOW! Will this happen any time soon? I doubt it, unless the upcoming trials reveal Joe's complete adherence to required actions in handling the JS situation. I am confident that Joe did what he was required to do by informing those who should have been told, but should (or COULD) he have done more is really the only question in my mind and probably everyone else's. I am also pretty certain that had he truly BELIEVED that JS really did what he was later convicted of, he WOULD have done more including thinking of beating the hell out of JS himself!

Never. Maybe some people need to brush up on the history of Gov. James A. Beaver and his contributions to the university, state and country. I don't think (at least I hope) that Joe would want it renamed. Frankly, I don't care about the statue, and was shocked that Joe didn't pan the whole idea when it started.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT