ADVERTISEMENT

When is the proper time to change Beaver stadium name to Joe V. Paterno Memorial Stadium?

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I know there are a few camps on this, but I am in the YES camp for a change NOW! Will this happen any time soon? I doubt it, unless the upcoming trials reveal Joe's complete adherence to required actions in handling the JS situation. I am confident that Joe did what he was required to do by informing those who should have been told, but should (or COULD) he have done more is really the only question in my mind and probably everyone else's. I am also pretty certain that had he truly BELIEVED that JS really did what he was later convicted of, he WOULD have done more including thinking of beating the hell out of JS himself!

I know there are a few camps on this, but I am in the YES camp for a change NOW! Will this happen any time soon? I doubt it, unless the upcoming trials reveal Joe's complete adherence to required actions in handling the JS situation. I am confident that Joe did what he was required to do by informing those who should have been told, but should (or COULD) he have done more is really the only question in my mind and probably everyone else's. I am also pretty certain that had he truly BELIEVED that JS really did what he was later convicted of, he WOULD have done more including thinking of beating the hell out of JS himself!

Never. I'm OK with Beaver Stadium but I would like the following:
  1. A statue of Joe in front of the library.
  2. A "409" plaque centered between the years on the east side of the stadium.
  3. An area outside the stadium honoring Joe and the Grand Experiment. It should make mention of graduation rates and list all of the academic All Americans that played for Joe.

I've never been in that camp. I'd prefer Paterno Field at Beaver Stadium, change the stretch of Curtin Road to Paterno Way, and put a statue of Joe in front of the library.

3. An area outside the stadium honoring Joe and the Grand Experiment. It should make mention of graduation rates and list all of the academic All Americans that played for Joe.
THIS.^^^^^ His statue in front of the library, rather than his name on the stadium, speaks directly to the kind of man Joe was.

Great post.

THIS.^^^^^ His statue in front of the library, rather than his name on the stadium, speaks directly to the kind of man Joe was.

Great post.
I am good with this too! I just don't like the lack of recognition for Joe that exists today as he was too good a man to be totally ignored other than just his name on the library. Anyone who contributed $5 Million to the library would have had their name there. Joe was way more than just a philanthropist to PSU!

How about, never? he wouldn't want that, either.

Joe would be in the NO camp. He said so. I will go with Joe on this one.

Reactions: TheWitchDoctor

The stadium has a name.

Here's my idea: we grew up calling 322 "the road that football built." Let's name the whole damn road after Paterno.

Never. The only University that has the football stadium named after an ex-president and the library named after an ex-football coach...just the way Joe wanted things. I knew Joe somewhat well and I'm certain of this...

Reactions: EPC FAN
That doesn't sound like love to me, it sounds more like bowing down to public opinion.

Assume much? Just because I don't want the stadium named after Joe, doesn't mean it's for the reasons you assume. If you knew anything about Joe, you would know he would never have wanted the stadium named after him. The stadium already has the coolest damn name in the country. I could live with the field being named after him though.

Assume much? Just because I don't want the stadium named after Joe, doesn't mean it's for the reasons you assume. If you knew anything about Joe, you would know he would never have wanted the stadium named after him. The stadium already has the coolest damn name in the country. I could live with the field being named after him though.
Pandaczar: I think I misread your earlier reply, so I apologize for the short and not very sweet response. You didn't deserve that.

I see no reason to rename the stadium. Beaver Stadium is fine. Leave it alone.

There are many ways the university should honor Joe. Renaming the stadium after him, however, is not required.

I love the 409 Paterno way idea. That would be better than any statue or field name, Joe didnt like the statue anyhow. While they are at it, name the press box after Fran Fisher.

I support Joe, but I would prefer to wait until CSS get their days in court to judge ANYONE at PSU. And

I really like your idea #3. It puts Joe's contributions in proper context and emphatically rejects Emmert's unjustified accusation of priority emphasis on a football culture.

Reactions: doctornick
What happens with CSS is irrelevant.

Paterno did exactly what he was supposed to do with whatever information he got from McQueary.
The Board of Trustees was wrong to throw him under the bus.
So if Curley comes out and says "joe talked me out of reporting it" it's irrelevant? Lol talk about a blind homer. Now I don't think that is likely, but I however would like to understand ALL the facts, as they are very interconnected. I sure hope, and would like to believe that Joe did nothing wrong. But to name a stadium before the completion of this (absurdly slow) judicial process would be premature in my opinion. You can agree to disagree you know, instead of trying to force your views on other. Do you not realize that the person Joe reported up to HAS NOT even testified under oath, let alone said anything yet?

I would imagine that the University, either by design or accident, will wait until the C/S/S trials are complete before doing anything to honor Joe. I believe that is what they mean when they say "sometime in the future".

I don't like it, because I think Joe needed to be honored when he could be around to see it, but the University created this messy bed - they have no choice but to lie in it at this point. And until the trials happen/get dismissed, the University will not move from that position.

Reactions: BlueBand
I would like the road in front of the stadium named for Joe. Call it "Paterno Way". And the address of Beaver Stadium? 409 Paterno Way.

Rename all of Curtin from Rec Hall to Beaver Stadium

It's 2 years past due.
Statue should be returned, exactly as it was.

Reactions: lein
And I am in favor of renaming the stadium for the coach and leader of men that MADE Penn State football.

Never. The only University that has the football stadium named after an ex-president and the library named after an ex-football coach...just the way Joe wanted things. I knew Joe somewhat well and I'm certain of this...

People keep forgetting that the Library is not named after the Paternos. One library building is named for the Paternos, one library building is still named after Pattee.

I would bet a months pay that Joe could care less about his name on the stadium or the field, but he would fight like hell to have the plaques with his players names on them put back up.
There was no reason to take those down. That was really rotten. I bet that Karen "I hate football" Peetz was behind that.

Reactions: EPC FAN
So if Curley comes out and says "joe talked me out of reporting it" it's irrelevant? Lol talk about a blind homer. Now I don't think that is likely, but I however would like to understand ALL the facts, as they are very interconnected. I sure hope, and would like to believe that Joe did nothing wrong. But to name a stadium before the completion of this (absurdly slow) judicial process would be premature in my opinion. You can agree to disagree you know, instead of trying to force your views on other. Do you not realize that the person Joe reported up to HAS NOT even testified under oath, let alone said anything yet?

I would be AMAZED if Curley came out and said "joe talked me out of reporting it". First, it would be a horrible defense for him to claim that he gave in to pressure from anybody. Second, he already testified that MM didn't tell him about anything so extreme. Admitting that he understood is was more serious would be like admitting to perjury.

I would be AMAZED if Curley came out and said "joe talked me out of reporting it". First, it would be a horrible defense for him to claim that he gave in to pressure from anybody. Second, he already testified that MM didn't tell him about anything so extreme. Admitting that he understood is was more serious would be like admitting to perjury.
I would be amazed too! And I don't think that will happen, but why not wait until we know all the facts 100%? Curley Et al have not said anything about any interaction with joe, yet. Now while I hope and believe in joe's innocence....at this point like 4 years later, why not wait until all the facts are on the table? Yes CSS is moving absurdly slow, but I would personally prefer for joe and everyone else to be completely exonerated so that when a stadiun is named and a statue is returned, there are no westboro baptist losers and plane banner flyers to detract from what everyone would THEN know as FACT. That's just my opinion and you certainly have a right to disagree.

I would be amazed too! And I don't think that will happen, but why not wait until we know all the facts 100%?.

Why should anyone have to prove a negative about Paterno? Was he indicted for anything? Do we not know what kind of person he was?

I would be amazed too! And I don't think that will happen, but why not wait until we know all the facts 100%? Curley Et al have not said anything about any interaction with joe, yet. Now while I hope and believe in joe's innocence....at this point like 4 years later, why not wait until all the facts are on the table? Yes CSS is moving absurdly slow, but I would personally prefer for joe and everyone else to be completely exonerated so that when a stadiun is named and a statue is returned, there are no westboro baptist losers and plane banner flyers to detract from what everyone would THEN know as FACT. That's just my opinion and you certainly have a right to disagree.

I agree. But why do people like Barron have to act like the Freeh report (and Joe's reputation) is a low priority? That's a horrible response!

He started out by saying it was overly “prosecutorial” and arrived at “absurd” conclusion. He also said
The report "very clearly paints a picture about every student, every faculty member, every staff member and every alum," Barron said. "And it's absurd. It's unwarranted. So from my viewpoint, the Freeh report is not useful to make decisions." He said the NCAA should've stayed out of the matter because Penn State gained no competitive advantage from hiding Sandusky's activities. That was a good start but he has since decided to roll over. Is this because the BOT or SNAP got on his case? The man lost my respect when he rolled over. I would have understood if he simply confirmed his original opinion, allowed alumni trustees to confidentially view records, but ask that everybody be patient while we wait for the trials.

So......I would assume that you were - and remain - absolutely APPALLED that the Provost at the time of the "Sandusky Affair" has had his name enshrined on the Creamery Building.....right?

(Even though he did have INCREDIBLE 30 month tenure of outstanding service as the President of the University.)

Or that he was given the Penn State Medal.......right?

Or even that he was given a big fat bonus and an even bigger lifetime pension.....right?

After all....it is certainly quite likely that - as the second in command under Spanier - his name will surface as one of those folks "in the know".....once the trials are held......right?

I must not have been paying attention.....I seem to have missed your expressions of outrage with regard to those actions. ;)

Reactions: WeR0206

How about the twelfth of never! Why do bother posting such drivel? There are better ways to honor Joe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT