ADVERTISEMENT

When (if ever) have we had a team as talented as the 2019 squad?

bigwill57

Jan 9, 2004
Assuming Shareef stays we will have a stifling (& deep) defensive line. YGM will be a top 10 pick in 2020 draft. Guys like Simmons, Shaka, & Oweh providing talented depth. At DT we have Hansard back healthy with another year of strength training as well as Mustipher and Shelton (who showed flashes this year) backing up Windsor & Givens.

LB obviously Parsons is going to be a monster. Cam is solid with 4-5 young guys coming on. Be interesting to see if Ellis beats out Johnson. Love to see Luketa take the next step & even Smith get some time as true freshman. Best LB Corp in at least 5 years.

Secondary hopefully Reid sticks around. Had an NFL worthy 2H after slow start coming off injury. Have to replace AO but with TCF becoming a star & Johnson playing well this year we should be fine. Interesting to see if Wilson or Gordon sees significant minutes.

Safety is a slight concern as Wade has not developed as quickly as we hoped. Hopefully Sutherland takes another step to start opposite Taylor with Brisker & Rudolph providing depth. This is the one position of potential concern on defense for me. An injury could really cause depth issues here.

Offense really comes down to how you believe we can replace Trace. I obviously am in the camp that Tommy or Clifford will be fine QB’s, providing improved “arm talent” (hate that term) while needing seasoning to develop the intangibles that Trace possessed. That should come. And even Levis apparently has a huge arm though probably mostly carries a clipboard in 2019.

WR should be best we’ve ever had. Assume “starters” are Juwan, KJ, Dotson, & Shorter, with Hipp, George, & CSB providing really quality depth. Losing DeAndre & (presumably) Polk should not hurt very much.

At TE we have a future high NFL pick in Freiermuth. Interesting to see if Kuntz becomes a threat next year with whichever of the older guys stays (likely Bowers) providing blocking help. Dalton and/or Holland probably moves on.

Line should continue to make baby steps each year. Hopefully we don’t lose Bates or McGovern. Losing Nana hurt (did we lose 1 more to injury?) but our depth is still strong. Excited to see Thorpe & Walker growing into absolute monsters in the coming years, with Miranda & Holmes also ready to step in if we need them.

We saw today Slade has to play at RB. He’s noticeably quicker than Miles the Fumbler. Assuming MtF sticks around we’ll be fine - if he does leave we’d be in a tough spot at RB with only 2 guys with any experience coming back. Be interesting to see if Ford is ready to play next year, and if he lives up to his 5 star billing.

Lastly Pinegar didn’t impress me this year. Maybe he can improve but those low line drive kicks really worry me. Last thing we need is blocked fg return for a TD vs. the Buckeyes (wouldn’t that be irony?). Assuming KJ is full time PR & KR that should provide a real weapon as well.

In any case I’m going on the record to say this team RUNS THE TABLE in the amazing B1G East & makes the playoff as a #1 or #2 seed. Not 11-1 but 12-0. Call me a “cool aid drinker” if you like but my history would suggest I’m a realist. I just think the stars are aligning for the best Penn State teams since 1994, and possibly even better than that due to a much better defense. Can not wait!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News