ADVERTISEMENT

What are your thoughts on Bill O'Brien now that time has passed?

Bushwood, it was no secret that BOB didn't get along with Joyner. BOB also has said repeatedly that he didn't agree with NCAA sanctions, both during and after his tenure.

He decided he didn't want to work here anymore partly because of both of the above, yet you can't stand him because of contract negotiations. He took advantage of the contract opportunities handed to him, and all but said during his tenure he didn't like Joyner/didn't agree with the sanctions.

Yet, for some reason, the voices inside your head lump BOB in with the BOT and Joyner.

Yea, I guess that's why he did Joyner's, and his former corrupt BOT's pals, bidding at the scripted, clear "PR Stunt" infamous FLO slideshow presentation at the corrupt BOT Board Meeting and Davey Douche Jones just happened to be there by sheer coincidence to run a front-page article on the topic to blast out all over the national media via AP in an attempt to "tar & feather" the newly elected, PS4RS-sponsored Alumni representatives to the BOT??? Yea, that's it, that's the ticket...he was working to Joyner's and his corrupt BOT pals agenda because he hated them all so much....yea, that's it, that's the ticket...yea, we all just fell off the turnip truck and can't possibly see what charlatans Ira & Dave are up to behind their Masters of the Universe "Wizard of Oz curtain"....ROTGLMFAO, at the sheer and utter lameness of your spin.

Last edited:
I don't believe he ever said this. Actually, I recently read an article in which players said he told them he would not leave after the first year but he promised nothing after that. Players have said he was honest with them. One of my complaints, at first, was I was unhappy because I thought he might have been dishonest with them but I don't believe that was the case.

Here's the thing - O'Brien went into the PSU gig with wide open eyes. Which is why he received a contract that guaranteed his employment (and increasing salary) irregardless of how well the football team performed, and/or in the event sanctions occurred. He was fine with it when he signed on, and decided he wasn't suited to the college game later when he saw the NFL dangling all that money in his face that he couldn't take without having to pay his buyout (also, winning ridiculous awards with a pretty decent team elevated his status to a level it would have taken much longer reach (or never would have reached) had he continued to toil around the NFL assistant coach ranks).

When he left, he made it look like it was the fans and environment that made him miserable, when it was actually the money he wasn't able to get the first time he tried to quit/leave.

Here's the thing - O'Brien went into the PSU gig with wide open eyes. Which is why he received a contract that guaranteed his employment (and increasing salary) irregardless of how well the football team performed, and/or in the event sanctions occurred. He was fine with it when he signed on, and decided he wasn't suited to the college game later when he saw the NFL dangling all that money in his face that he couldn't take without having to pay his buyout (also, winning ridiculous awards with a pretty decent team elevated his status to a level it would have taken much longer reach (or never would have reached) had he continued to toil around the NFL assistant coach ranks).

When he left, he made it look like it was the fans and environment that made him miserable, when it was actually the money he wasn't able to get the first time he tried to quit/leave.

Don't forget the school suckered him and lied to him about the sanctions which they were already working on for the most part. He was duped by PSU and people want to be pissed at him? Idiots.

I like O'B and would have loved him to stay. However, am happy with CJF so far (little concerned about game-day coaching but my Vandy friends tell me his game-day coaching is just fine).

O'B was perfect for PSU at the time. He was open and brash...a blue collar guy. He fit the personnel perfectly and his "no nonsense" attitude was perfect in addressing the JS issues. The seniors give hi a lot of credit, so so do I. I am sure that he was stretched between the JoeBots and the BOTbots. No way to span that Grand Canyon-like gap. And the BOT was his boss.

He always had great things to say about JoePa and the kids on the team. He recruited well considering (especially at QB and TE). He always wanted to go to the NFL so God-bless him.

He served PSU well....PSU served him well. I think everyone should be thankful he helped get us through that era. He continues to speak well of PSU and I respect that. Jones is a d-bag and I have no idea if he reported things correct, made it up or embellished it. These guys are bald-faced liars and Jones is a bad as it gets (heard him on a local radio show say that Jim Tressel was in the mafia. When pressed, his only evidence is that JT grew up in Youngstown. I am not a huge JT fan but come on.....).

Yea, I guess that's why he did Joyner's, and his former corrupt BOT's pals, bidding at the scripted, clear "PR Stunt" infamous FLO slideshow presentation at the corrupt BOT Board Meeting and Davey Douche Jones just happened to be there by sheer coincidence to run a front-page article on the topic to blast out all over the national media via AP in an attempt to "tar & feather" the newly elected, PS4RS-sponsored Alumni representatives to the BOT??? Yea, that's it, that's the ticket...he was working to Joyner's and his corrupt BOT pals agenda because he hated them all so much....yea, that's it, that's the ticket...yea, we all just fell off the turnip truck and can't possibly see what charlatans Ira & Dave are up to behind their Masters of the Universe "Wizard of Oz curtain"....ROTGLMFAO, at the sheer and utter lameness of your spin.

ROTGLMFAO?

You're the man, Bushie. Keep it up.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Don't forget the school suckered him and lied to him about the sanctions which they were already working on for the most part. He was duped by PSU and people want to be pissed at him? Idiots.

Duped? How? Wasn't it in his contract that in the event of sanctions he would be guaranteed a contract (one year for every year of sanctions)? This is what O'Brien said when sanctions were announced:

"Today we receive a very harsh penalty from the NCAA and as head coach of the Nittany Lions football program, I will do everything in my power to not only comply, but help guide the university forward to become a national leader in ethics, compliance and operational excellence," Penn State football coach Bill O'Brien said in the statement. "I knew when I accepted the position that there would be tough times ahead. But I am committed for the long term to Penn State and our student athletes."

So, if he wasn't referring to sanctions when he said he knew there would be" tough times ahead', and agreed to a contract with provisions to provide for him in the event of sanctions, what was he referring to, and how was he duped?

Reactions: Rjyoung317
Duped? How? Wasn't it in his contract that in the event of sanctions he would be guaranteed a contract (one year for every year of sanctions)? This is what O'Brien said when sanctions were announced:

"Today we receive a very harsh penalty from the NCAA and as head coach of the Nittany Lions football program, I will do everything in my power to not only comply, but help guide the university forward to become a national leader in ethics, compliance and operational excellence," Penn State football coach Bill O'Brien said in the statement. "I knew when I accepted the position that there would be tough times ahead. But I am committed for the long term to Penn State and our student athletes."

So, if he wasn't referring to sanctions when he said he knew there would be" tough times ahead', and agreed to a contract with provisions to provide for him in the event of sanctions, what was he referring to, and how was he duped?

By the BoT working with Freeh behind the scenes and laying down for Emmert. That all went on while he was there so it may not have been at the time of him being hired, but I'm sure it didn't sit well with him.

I don't believe he ever said this. Actually, I recently read an article in which players said he told them he would not leave after the first year but he promised nothing after that. Players have said he was honest with them. One of my complaints, at first, was I was unhappy because I thought he might have been dishonest with them but I don't believe that was the case.

He did say it, your full of $hit unless of course you want to claim recuits are lying. Multiple recruits reported speaking with FLO within days of his leaving AND directly after the media made the "FLO to Texans" reports. Several recruits reported having spoken with FLO and being told by FLO he wasn't speaking with anyone and wasn't going anywhere.

He did say it, your full of $hit unless of course you want to claim recuits are lying. Multiple recruits reported speaking with FLO within days of his leaving AND directly after the media made the "FLO to Texans" reports. Several recruits reported having spoken with FLO and being told by FLO he wasn't speaking with anyone and wasn't going anywhere.

Nick Saban said the same things before he left the Dolphins and LSU. These coaches don't tell the world they are leaving and I know this is new to you because Joe was there for so long, but that is how it works in the real world. I can't believe Franklin let kids know when he started Vandy that it was not his dream job. OB and the program were sold out by YOUR BoT friends and your best friend Mark Emmert. No wonder why you go after BoB as you need to deflect the attention from your boys who screwed OB over.

We could not have been luckier to get a coach like Bill O' Brien. Best Coach for PSU at the right time, for these reasons plus;
1 - Coach O Brien was hungry to get a head coaching job. He was passionate about coaching football!
2 - Was not a player to the politics or noticeably distracted by the politics. He just wanted to be a football coach
3 - Right coach to recruit a QB like Hack and pedigree to bring in others like AB, etc.
4 - Was able to put a team on the field with a game plan that could play in spite of the many distractions
5 - Was able to recruit Hack
6 - See 3 and 5 above
7 - Basically, he raised everyone's game, McGloin, Robinson, run ons, D, O.

PSU is forever indebted to Coach O Brien

Last edited:
We could not have been luckier to get a coach like Bill O' Brien. Best Coach for PSU at the right time, for these reasons plus;
1 - Coach O Brien was hungry to get a head coaching job. He was passionate about coaching football!
2 - Was not a player to the politics or noticeably distracted by the politics. He just wanted to be a football coach
3 - Right coach to recruit a QB like Hack and pedigree to bring in others like AB, etc.
4 - Was able to put a team on the field with a game plan that could play in spite of the many distractions
5 - Was able to recruit Hack
6 - See 3 and 5 above
7 - Basically, he raised everyone's game, McGloin, Robinson, run ons, D, O.

Hack doesn't come here without him for sure, but the team he 'inherited' was a pretty good one to be honest. It's biggest non-NFL/graduate losses were Redd, Fera, Brown, and Fortt. Redd and Fera hurt (we beat Virginia with Fera), but the others didn't matter that much. And that squad went 9-4 in 2011 (beating OSU, losing to Bama, losing to Nebraska three days after Joe is fired, and falling apart against Wisconsin and Houston). After opening 2012 with two very bad losses, that squad went on to beat good Northwestern and Wisconsin teams. And it beat Michigan and Wisconsin the following year too. Let's not act like this team didn't have some talent; Franklin was much worse off his first year than OB was.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I find really interesting is, what happens next to BO'B?? The Texans haven't solved their QB issues yet. So lets say they go thru another, 7-9, 8-8 type year. What does he do?? Does he try to take a rookie QB (Hack?) and start over in year 3 of his contract?? Does he pass up the rookie QB route, and try to get a patch work veteran QB to get him over the hump (in yr 3)?? It will be interesting. I think he has some time, as I believe someone other than him (GM? Owner?) said to take Clowney and pass on Bortles (who I think BO'B wanted)

No, he didn't dipwad, but nice false accusation on your part (you've learned well from your masters' BS "spin" strategies and techniques). Franklin not only disclosed to his team, but also disclosed to the Vanderbilt Athletic Director (who hired him and who he reported directly to at the University) that he had been contacted by PSU about their open Head Coaching position. He asked for and WAS GRANTED PERMISSION to speak with PSU with the caveat that Vanderbilt be permitted to counter-offer prior to acceptance if any offer was ultimately made by PSU to Franklin. Franklin agreed to, AND HONORED, Vanderbilt's request in the caveat. So your insinuation that Franklin lied to anyone or handled his discussions with PSU in any kind of non-transparent way relative to his employer at the time, Vanderbilt, is utterly FALSE and likely an intentional false characterization - IOW a lie and BS ad hominem assault on Franklin's character.
So he told every kid he recruited his entire time at Vandy that he was going to leave before their four years were up? He never told his team before he started looking. If you believe that I got a bridge to sell you. It just the nature of business. Coaches move up and on all the time. Feelings get hurt but that the way it is.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/spo...mes-franklin-vanderbilt-adam-butler/12652647/

It has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread but I think it deserves repeating. O'Brien gets an awful lot of credit for keeping that team together when it could have easily have fallen apart. But the reason he was able to keep that team together was because of the character of the players that made up that team. Those were the type of players that Paterno targeted- good players with strong character- and those players happened to fit O'Brien's mentality well.
The main reason the program made it through the sanctions was because of those players.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I appreciate what he did for Penn State. It really was a result of him saving himself for what opportunities he ended up with. He and PSU survived a tumultuous time on the edge of disaster. I believe the players actually had more to do with our survival than Bill but both sides were crutial. I like Bill O'Brien a lot. He was not coming to PSU to stay from the get-go and only furthering his career which worked out for him him and PSU. I don't think he liked or was good at recruiting which is such a huge part of being a college coach. I think he's a great x's & o's gameday coach meant for the NFL. I wish him and his family the best. JoePa had to be looking over the entire situation for us to all survive!

So he told every kid he recruited his entire time at Vandy that he was going to leave before their four years were up? He never told his team before he started looking. If you believe that I got a bridge to sell you. It just the nature of business. Coaches move up and on all the time. Feelings get hurt but that the way it is.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/spo...mes-franklin-vanderbilt-adam-butler/12652647/
I'm crushed! You mean to tell me the Liar, Charlatan, Whore, shyster ($50 for all), dipwad bushy lied to all again? Shameful, just shameful!

Wait, isn't that DIAMETRICALLY OPPOSITE from what Bushy was saying? Not just opposite mind you, but DIAMETRICALLY OPPOSITE?

QUOTE="Jerademan74, post: 294243, member: 8510"]Some have expressed great animosity over his decision to leave for the NFL when he did, and others have praised him for "saving" Penn State football at it's time of greatest despair. Frankly I believe he gained more from Penn State than Penn State gained from him, but I am thankful for his time served and how he handled the difficult situations he encountered.[/QUOTE]
This guy was going to be a coach in the NFL someday but undoubtedly we gained much more from him then he gained from us. He was an advocate for Penn State from the beginning. He also manufactured two winning seasons when people thought Penn State football would not be able to survive. This guy was a godsend and was clearly the right choice. For the people that have a problem with the guy going to his dream job I say that 0% of the people offered that would have turned it down. He has earned the name " Penn Stater".

QUOTE="scrivener, post: 294276, member: 2266"]No doubt he gained alot, which is fine. Major college jobs have a stepping stone built-in. We owe our program to BOB. Also JF should be thankful we didnt bottom out and flatline, allowing him to recruit and reel in big fish. I got the impression watching and listening to BOB that he gave every day all he had and he wanted to dominate. I love BOB, hold no ill will, and regard him as one of the most important figures in our programs history[/QUOTE]
you gave a tremendous tribute to O' Brien and you hit the nail right on the head. the guys that can't handle the way O'Brien left have no idea how this world works in my opinion. What Coach is going to tell a recruit : " My plan is to probably just hang around two years and then leave halfway through your career". What coach ever says that? How well do you think coaches would recruit if telling players that?

BOB was literally the PERFECT coach for when the sanctions hit. Having a severely disabled child taught him how to overcome adversity in real life and accept and move forward. His New England type no nonsense approach was exactly what we needed when the whole sanctions came down. Throw in that he was an X's and O's guru that was very important those 2 years to stay afloat with that talent on hand and I am not sure if PSU could have lucked into a better fit for the situation. He also revamped the S&C program which everybody knew needed a complete makeover and he also upgraded some other smaller things that needed it.

That being said, I was dissapointed on how he left. Not that he left for the NFL as that was his dream, but the potshot he gave to Dave Jones. To this day, I am still not sure why he did that, I personally think that he might have been drunk at the time and drunk dialed Jones. I am sure there was a ton of behind the scenes stuff that was all politics and tough to deal with. We heard how much of a jerk and backstabber Old Chrome Dome was and the whole SI medical/Seabass article was just crazy. So I am sure the article was more BOB just venting at some people who deserved it but it came off as going against the entire alumni. The fact BOB never came out and corrected that on the record was dissapointing.

But BOB held the ship together through tough times and that 2 years transition is what allowed JFF to come in and do what he is doing now. Overall, BOB had way, way, way more positives to his time then negatives.
I probably would have freaked also on the people that wanted him to be a clone of Joe instead of his own man.

Some have expressed great animosity over his decision to leave for the NFL when he did, and others have praised him for "saving" Penn State football at it's time of greatest despair. Frankly I believe he gained more from Penn State than Penn State gained from him, but I am thankful for his time served and how he handled the difficult situations he encountered.
With out OB we would not have a program simple as that I wish him well and to his family and hope for only good things for him Thanks Billy for saving us from our enemies

[ E="LaJolla Lion, post: 294969, member: 428"]Yep, OB held the program together and bridged the gap pretty much perfectly. Anyone rational person can see that.[/QUOTE] Well the usual irrational guys think he should not have done what's best for his family. They also think he should have told recruits "Well I probably only will be going to hang around for 2 years". Also the guys that thought he had to be a clone of Joe Paterno needed to be put in their place. They just couldn't deal with this guy being his own man and own coach. He saved the program and as far as I'm concerned the guys that have complete hatred for him are ingrates.

Last edited:
I thought when he was hired he was a home run and I believe he was just that. His moving on was what he wanted, so great for him. The only criticism I have of him is "what was he thinking about the OL"? I mean he brought in a DL from JC for depth why not for the OL?
Somewhere the sanctions were going to leave the program short at some positions and it just happened to be the offensive line. they had 50 something healthy players at Wisconsin. I don't think you could even blame O'Brien for that O line problem

[QUOTE ="Midnighter, post: 294357, member: 4160"]Things worked out for us and not because of him. That's all I'll say about that. Thank God for CJF.[/QUOTE] Things worked out for us because of him. He was amazing.

[QUO TE="lionroar88, post: 295095, member: 460"]1. O'Brien was the right coach for when the sanctions hit. IF he had know about the sanctions PRIOR to his hire, there is no way he comes to PSU. I believe The BoT lied to O'Brien during negotiations as I believe the knew about the sanctions (or at least the possibility of sanctions) prior to his hire.
2. We had the worst PSU Defenses during his tenure. I think this was partly because Defensive Coordinator was in far over his head, and because of O'Brien's offensive play calling the defense got gassed from being on the field far too long.
3. I was not surprised, nor was I disappointed, that O'Brien left when he did.

Franklin is rebuilding the program much faster than anyone thought he could. O'Brien left the cupboard a bit bare in spots, but at the skill positions we had some very good talent. Franklin has done a very good job of patching the holes, and hopefully filling most of the them.

I can't say I wish O'Brien luck in The NFL, he coaches a team other than the one I root for. I thank him for the time he spent at PSU, that is all.[/QUOTE] most of your complaints about O'Brien on the field stem from lack of depth caused by the sanctions. leaving the cupboard bare with 50 something healthy bodies? come again.

I understand some people's 50/50 perspective on BOB, enjoying his time but not so overwhelmed...but some of the people that trash him, come on! The guy coached and gameplanned for the 21st century, throwing the ball to TE's 100 times a season and opening the game up to the likes we had never seen before. He made a true freshman qb (albeit extremely talented, but still a frosh) look like one of the best slingers in the country, and took a moody, undersized McGloin and make him a record breaker. He was IMO the best developer of an offense and gameplan I think we've seen in a long time at PSU. Who cares about the behind the scenes garbage that every coach goes through. He made our two years of 15-9 the most entertaining, exciting, and heartbreaking, you could ask for. Sure we had devastating defeats, but how much fun did we look? He brought us into the 21st century and we needed it! We needed him!
many less devastating defeats then we thought we were going to have.

Some have expressed great animosity over his decision to leave for the NFL when he did, and others have praised him for "saving" Penn State football at it's time of greatest despair. Frankly I believe he gained more from Penn State than Penn State gained from him, but I am thankful for his time served and how he handled the difficult situations he encountered.

Hated to see him go, but felt it was all but inevitable from day one. He never made any bones about having an NFL head coaching job as his ultimate goal. On the field, he did well enough to be named National Coach of the Year four different ways, operating under historically difficult circumstances in his first season at PSU and as a college head coach. I think the bottom line is that all he truly wanted was to be left alone to make his football team the best it could possibly be but, given some of the jackass personalities he had to deal with and the toxic atmosphere created by the B&I trustees' gross- and intentionally dishonest mishandling of the Sandusky debacle, that was never going to happen.

[QU tjeOTE="bdgan, pos: 295140, member: 7248"]O'Brien was a good offensive/QB coach but a bad defensive coach IMO.

One iissue I have with O'Brien is that he used limited scholarships to recruit skill players that could contribute quickly rather than linemen that would take time to develop. That decision probably helped PSU retain respectability in the short run but we're still paying the price today.

My biggest issue with O'Brien is that he told fans and players that he intended to remain at PSU for several years and that was dishonest. I recall him to responding to criticism that our recruiting class was falling apart while he remained with the Patriots through the Superbowl. He said something like PSU hired a coach for several years, not just one year. I recall hearing Hack's dad saying that O'Brien promised he would be there for 4 years. I also recall a twitter post from one of our DL saying that they didn't blame O'Brien for leaving because he understood that it's all about the money. I think college coaches should set better examples for the kids.[/QUOTE] I don't think that you could run a program by telling recruits that you're probably going to be gone after 2 years. Don't you think that the sanctions had something to do with the defensive problems? Don't you think the sanctions had something to do with almost everything in
I appreciate what he did for Penn State. It really was a result of him saving himself for what opportunities he ended up with. He and PSU survived a tumultuous time on the edge of disaster. I believe the players actually had more to do with our survival than Bill but both sides were crutial. I like Bill O'Brien a lot. He was not coming to PSU to stay from the get-go and only furthering his career which worked out for him him and PSU. I don't think he liked or was good at recruiting which is such a huge part of being a college coach. I think he's a great x's & o's gameday coach meant for the NFL. I wish him and his family the best. JoePa had to be looking over the entire situation for us to all survive!
disagree with you on the recruiting point. Bob had the very good first class and then had another good class going which Franklin nicely finished up on.

[Q UOTE = "Bushwood CC, post: 296157, member: 7888"]He did say it, your full of $hit unless of course you want to claim recuits are lying. Multiple recruits reported speaking with FLO within days of his leaving AND directly after the media made the "FLO to Texans" reports. Several recruits reported having spoken with FLO and being told by FLO he wasn't speaking with anyone and wasn't going anywhere.[/QUOTE] As he should have in this real world that we live in. You do what you have to do and you keep it close to the vest. You're living in a fantasy world. What coach who is also involved with recruits is going to say that he is looking at another team? O Brien did the smart and proper thing as dictated by how this world is run. Almost everybody on this board is in agreement that the guy had to do what was best for his family and while that is all going on you are not going to be foolish enough to blow a recruiting class or your current players confidence in you if somehow that deal with that other team falls through. You don't do that because you might have to come back and coach these players the next year if you don't get the job and you also will need those recruits if you were coming back. All it takes is some critical thinking to realize he did the right thing all the way around.

Can't speak for others, but whenever I hear his name, I just wanna smash my fist through the car windshield.

But, that's just me. ;-)

The same nimrods who label self-interested mercenary FLO "a saviour" label a "bought-&-sold" sellout politician like Jake Corman a "hero". What's that tell you??? The vast majority of them are brain-dead "suckers" susceptible to corrupt self-promoters like the scumbag elements of our BOT and their ilk (as in the most shameless self-promoter of them all, Barnum's "there's a sucker born every minute") - the rest are empty-drum @sshats like pusguy04 and pusnut, are servile little minions, sycophants & toads of the corrupt.

Reactions: psuguy04
The same nimrods who label self-interested mercenary FLO "a saviour" label a "bought-&-sold" sellout politician like Jake Corman a "hero". What's that tell you??? The vast majority of them are brain-dead "suckers" susceptible to corrupt self-promoters like the scumbag elements of our BOT and their ilk (as in the most shameless self-promoter of them all, Barnum's "there's a sucker born every minute") - the rest are empty-drum @sshats like pusguy04 and pusnut, are servile little minions, sycophants & toads of the corrupt.

How do you go from College/NFL coach to politician. You're seriously jacked up in the head.

How do you go from College/NFL coach to politician. You're seriously jacked up in the head.

They're both tools of the corrupt - extremely well-paid, self-serving, self-interested hypocritical tools of corrupt often termed "sellouts". In this case servile toadies of the same scum. In other words, neither of them is "their own man" and the scum made it quite clear to their servile characters that they are PAID TO DO AS THEY'RE TOLD AND NOTHING ELSE and that's precisely what they both cowardly and dutifully did.

Last edited:
Somewhere the sanctions were going to leave the program short at some positions and it just happened to be the offensive line. they had 50 something healthy players at Wisconsin. I don't think you could even blame O'Brien for that O line problem

The team he inherited was lopsided with OL during the 2012 season(16 scholarship players). That number didn't include Gilliam, Dowrey or Gaia. OB had no idea Stanko and Luke Graham would quit, Nowicki and Tanner Hartman would transfer, Alosi gets in trouble, Gilliam bypasses a 6th season and Diff would get hurt. He thought he was ok at OL and went after DBs with the few ships he had. Why DBs? The 2012 team had 3 former walk-ons and a True Frosh(Daquan Davis) manning the 2nd unit.

You go bushwood community college. You have officially lost your mind.

I appreciate what OB did for PSU. I was one of many who didn't know the guy when hired, but after the press conference I turned.

He was a true X's and O's guy, and I agree that it did come to the forefront during his tenure. He most certainly wanted to coach at the highest level of football and his two years leading PSU was enough to get him there.

Obviously, I wanted him to stay, but life goes on. Glad Franklin is aboard, but if I had a choice it would be OB. Franklin's model appears to be get the best players to run the play, and the play will work better. No shit.

Reactions: Louisville JD
They're both tools of the corrupt - extremely well-paid, self-serving, self-interested hypocritical tools of corrupt often termed "sellouts". In this case servile toadies of the same scum. In other words, neither of them is "their own man" and the scum made it quite clear to their servile characters that they are PAID TO DO AS THEY'RE TOLD AND NOTHING ELSE and that's precisely what they both cowardly and dutifully did.

You are such a complete and utter tool. You have no real touch with reality.

Yup, and that I think is why most folks don't have any ill will towards OB. Certainly, the way he left could have led to absolute disaster, as the message from State College was essentially this:

1. Hired coach tries leaving after one year, but contract prevents it.
  2. Coach re-works contract to lower his buy-out, is successful in leaving after two years.
  3. Coach leaves with guns blazing, ripping fan base on exit; sends message to potential replacements that environment is toxic and job is a headache.
Of course, any HC with any amount of smarts knows Penn State is and always will be a plum job. Credit the folks who hired CJF; they had a lot of work to do after OB's damage.
how come all the people that turned it down didn't think it was a plum job?

Did not like him from personal interactions I had with him. I thought he was a pretty mediocre game coach. He cost his team two wins. All that said, I agree with others who said he was the right guy at the time. PSU needed a 2-3 year guy probably to soften the blow of entering the real world of the college athletics arms race.

It does make me sad that PSU is no longer about people but about wins and losses and dollars and cents. Those days are gone and not coming back so we must adapt and choose to drop out or move on.
A very good game day coach, don't know what you're looking at. A tremendous developer of talent. I think you just didn't like his attitude. To think he did all that with two thirds of the players that everybody else was working with.

This is ridiculous.... there is not a single coach in the world that would tell recruits and current players that he was leaving for the NFL after just a couple of years. He would be completely ineffective. What is the divorce rate these days, ballpark of 50%... didn't all these men and women vow to be married forever, for better and for worse? I guess they are horrible dishonorable people as well.
You hit the nail on the head Ranger Dan. good post. this man is being unreasonable.

It's getting to the point where I wonder if Bushwood actually believes the shit he posts....or if this is his way of having an alternate reality.

McAndrew claims to have met him in real life and says he's seemingly normal. If this is the case, and Bushie believes what he posts here....it's legit schizophrenia.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT