ADVERTISEMENT

What a quiet 1st day of recruiting ...

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
at least so far.

only verbals I've heard about are Gaven DeWitt to Iowa St. and Trey Meyer to Oregon St.

I'm not on Twitter, so I don't know if there is info and/or pics of recruits with CS. Those of you that are on Twitter, please keep us posted.

To pass the time, below is a list of PA prospects that have already verballed for wrestling in the Class of 2016.

Tom

Kaleb Young (Punxsatawney) - Iowa, 157
Jordan Wood (Boyertown) - Lehigh, 285
Taylor Ortz (Brookville) - Clarion, 125/133
Dakota Geer (Franklin Regional) - Edinboro, 174/184
Luke Karam (Beca) - Bucknell, 133
Chris Weiler (Wyoming Seminary) - Lehigh, 174/184
Joey Gould (Beca) - Bucknell, 133/141
Jake Wentzel (South Park) - Pitt, 157
Austin Bell (Belle Vernon) - Pitt, 165/174
Hayden Hidlay (Mifflin County) - NC State, 149/157
John Jakobsen (Stroudsburg) - Lehigh, 184/197
Jake Shaffer (Greater Latrobe) - UVA, 174/184
Gage Curry (North Hills) - American, 125
Noah Stewart (Mifflin County) - Army, 165/174

I've been checking different sites all day waiting for some big news! Quiet day indeed.

What a difference from football and basketball recruiting. The coaches aren't talking, the recruits aren't talking and the gurus
don't know anything. We can't even get a good rumor.

What a difference from football and basketball recruiting. The coaches aren't talking, the recruits aren't talking and the gurus
Big names for both IA and tOSU to announce within the week. Dominoes to fall after that including light weight for PSU.

Big names for both IA and tOSU to announce within the week. Dominoes to fall after that including light weight for PSU.

Presuming this is correct, that would most likely mean Suriano or Red for PSU. Not sure how to interpret how the announcements domino into a lightweight announcement for PSU unless I am misinterpreting the post. Or, it could mean that Mark Hall is the reason for the domino.

I'm thinking he's saying 2 verbals this week for said schools, and then multiple verbals including a lightweight for PSU thereafter. I'm hoping he is wrong, cause I'm hoping for 2 lightweight verbals. It's not Hall per his tweet. He's announcing on Flo much later.

Jeez and I thought by now we would have gotten verbals from Suriano, Redd, Hall, Pico and Lee...Well there is still always tomorrow;)

So who are these "big names" gonna be? Most likely too early for Suriano, definitely too early for Hall. Maybe Isaiah White to Columbus?

I was just thinking the same thing. Hall and Suriano are the two big names in the class and both have indicated they are not ready to commit yet. After that, lots of quality guys but not near the hype of those two.

I was just thinking the same thing. Hall and Suriano are the two big names in the class and both have indicated they are not ready to commit yet. After that, lots of quality guys but not near the hype of those two.
Given where Papa Bear is from and some of the timelines for other guys mentioned, how about Rudy Yates to Iowa

Yates would be a solid pick up but not a name that would cause the reverberations that I think PapaBear is implying. Of course maybe I am misinterpreting his post as to cause and effect. Also, his idea of a big name may be different then mine as well. Either way, sounds like things will be picking up soon.

Chad Red is big time and should be soon, Pletcher perhaps next week after he gets visits from the coaches, correct?

So who are these "big names" gonna be? Most likely too early for Suriano, definitely too early for Hall. Maybe Isaiah White to Columbus?
Right. Chad Red to PSU doesn't really need any dominoes. Pletcher admitted last week (linky here pls click kthx) that 'it's hard to get the offer you want when you have a monster like (#1 overall recruit) Mark Hall who everyone is saving a nice chunk for,” but, as noted above, Hall is likely to take his time this summer before announcing, so he's an unlikely Big Name to announce this week. Suriano last week said "I think I will know where I’m going by the end of July. Or at least I will be very close to my decision. Right now, I swear I am not leaning anywhere. I have to balance it out and think it through," so he's unlikely to announce this week. With Marinelli committed to Iowa, Jordan Wood to Lehigh, Manville to PSU & Nick Reenan to NW, that only leaves Isaiah White & Samuel Colbray from the Top 10 (Intermat's & AWP's at least).

And since Papa Bear, according to his tweeter bio, coaches at Illinois' Oak Park River Forest (OPRF), I agree with bveo that one of the big names he's referring to is White. Another Top 20 cat from OPRF is Kamal Bey (Intermat 14, AWP 19), and national Top 20 has to still count as 'big names', right? I'll go ahead & guess with bveo that White will announce for tOSU & Bey for Iowa.

I don't know how those announcements would necessarily 'domino' to Penn State, unless White is one of the 'monsters' that Cael has already told Pletcher he has money set aside for. Regardless of whether or not they're related, I'll guess Red & Pletcher probably won't be too terribly long to announce to PSU.

I don't think there's any way Cael gives money to White -- not with Cenzo, Nolf, and Manville already in the 149-165 range. I had earlier heard White going brutal -- if so, that could cut deep into tanning money for Suriano and Pletcher.

Bey may be at the same weight as Hall. Kinda interesting for him to go first, to one of Hall's known finalists.

But that makes more sense than Yates, with Clark + Gilman there, and Mejia + Renteria coming in 2017 ... unless Brands sees him going 141 soon, and/or Suriano already said no.

I don't think there's any way Cael gives money to White -- not with Cenzo, Nolf, and Manville already in the 149-165 range. I had earlier heard White going brutal -- if so, that could cut deep into tanning money for Suriano and Pletcher.

Bey may be at the same weight as Hall. Kinda interesting for him to go first, to one of Hall's known finalists.

But that makes more sense than Yates, with Clark + Gilman there, and Mejia + Renteria coming in 2017 ... unless Brands sees him going 141 soon, and/or Suriano already said no.

Can you bone me back up on Yates? Why can't I find him on AWP?

Can you bone me back up on Yates? Why can't I find him on AWP?
Yates is ranked #3 at 126 by flowrestling, and is #10 on their pound for pound list. It is true that Mejia and Renteria are both committed to Iowa, but they will arrive on campus the same year that both Clark and Gilman are graduating. You better believe that Brands would like to get at least one lightweight this year, and prevent the Hawks from having two holes or needing to start two true freshman at 125/133 in 2017.

Yates is ranked #3 at 126 by flowrestling, and is #10 on their pound for pound list. It is true that Mejia and Renteria are both committed to Iowa, but they will arrive on campus the same year that both Clark and Gilman are graduating. You better believe that Brands would like to get at least one lightweight this year, and prevent the Hawks from having two holes or needing to start two true freshman at 125/133 in 2017.
Thanks. Still weird that AWP missed him.

Ok, so Yates has been the error of my ways in the tea leaf reading. I respectfully withdraw my supposition that Papa Bear was alluding to White & Bey and instead will now swap in Yates for Bey on the Iowa progno. This makes much more sense when considering dominoes--that with Yates in tow, it makes it tougher on Brands to then also land BOTH Suriano AND Spencer Lee the following year. Hence, Suriano, although ranked *ahead* of Yates on Intermat's & Flo's boards (I'm still shaking my fist at you, AWP, for throwing me off the correct Papa Bear scent here), would then be 'dominoed' primarily to Cael, with Brands probably out of the mix.

Papa Bear, I still welcome any insight you can provide on Bey!

Also, White to Brutus is pretty interesting in those middle weights, but I guess enough time. & a little weight still allows a fit in with the brothers Jordan.

Gabe Townsell (#58 - 126) is also an OPRF guy. Might he be the one leaning tOSU's way? They could probably use at least 2 125's on the roster.

Oh man. They've got two pages, which don't match up:
Page One:
Rank
Name
13-14 HS
13-14 HS Weight
State

#1 Mark Hall Apple Valley 170 MN
#2 Mason Manville Blair Academy 152 NJ
#3 Luke Pletcher Greater Latrobe 120 PA
#4 Jordan Wood Boyertown 220 PA
#5 Beau Breske Hartford Union 170 WI
#6 Nick Reenan Wyoming Seminary 152 PA
#7 Isaiah White OPRF 138 IL
#8 Nick Suriano Bergen Catholic 113 NJ
#9 Alex Marinelli St Paris Graham 160 OH
#10 Sammy Colbray Hermiston 195 OR
#11 Keegan Moore Jackson County Central 170 MN
#12 Christian Dietrich Greene 182 NY
#13 George Phillippi Derry Area 120 PA
#14 Carter Happel Lisbon 132 IA
#15 Chris Weiler Wyoming Seminary 160 PA
#16 Kyle Norstrem Brandon 113 FL
#17 Israel Saavedra Modesto 120 CA
#18 Brent Moore St Paris Graham 132 OH
#19 Kamal Bey OPRF 160 IL
#20 Brandon Dallavia Blair Academy 170 NJ
#21 Mitchell McKee St Michael-Albertville 120 MN
#22 Taylor Lamont Maple Mountain 132 UT
#23 Chad Red New Palestine 120 IN
#24 Kyle Bierdumpfel Don Bosco 126 NJ
#25 Shawn Streck Merrillville 285 IN
#26 Blake Rypel Indianapolis Cathedral 182 IN
#27 Jack Mueller Trinity Chrisitan 113 TX
#28 Drew Hughes Lowell 138 IN
#29 Kaleb Young Punxsutawney 138 PA
#30 Hayden Hidlay Mifflin County 138 PA

Page Two:
Rank
Name
School
State
14-15 Wt
Collge

#1 Mark Hall Apple Valley MN 170
#2 Isaiah White OP River Forest IL 152
#3 Nick Suriano Bergen Catholic NJ 120
#4 Alex Marinelli St Paris Graham OH 160 Iowa
#5 Jordan Wood Boyertown PA 220 Lehigh
#6 Mason Manville South County VA 160 Penn State
#7 Chad Red New Palestine IN 126
#8 Luke Pletcher Greater Latrobe PA 132
#9 Nick Reenan Wyoming Seminary PA 170 Northwestern
#10 Mitchell McKee St Michael Albertville MN 126 Minnesota
#11 Sammy Colbray Hermiston OR 195
#12 Beau Breske Hartford WI 170
#13 George Phillippi Derry Area PA 132
#14 Kamal Bey OP River Forest IL 170
#15 Keegan Moore Jackson CC MN 182
#16 Chris Weiler Wyoming Seminary PA 160 Lehigh
#17 Kyle Norstrem Brandon FL 120 Virginia Tech
#18 Rudy Yates Brother Rice IL 126
#19 Griffin Parriott New Prague MN 145
#20 Ben Darmstadt Elyria OH 182 Cornell
#21 Jake Wentzel South Park PA 152 Pitt
#22 Hayden Hidlay Mifflin County PA 145 NC State
#23 Jack Mueller Wyoming Seminary PA 120 Virginia
#24 Blake Rypel Indianapolis Cathedral IN 195
#25 Brandon Dallavia Blair Academy NJ 160
#26 Thomas Bullard Archer GA 160
#27 Danny Vega Ironwood Ridge AZ 113
#28 Christian Dietrich Wyoming Seminary PA 182
#29 Drew Hughes Lowell IN 160
#30 Taylor Lamont Maple Mountain UT 126

That second one at least has a 6/4/15 date on it, so I'm guessing the first one, which is pinned on an inside home page type thing, must be really old.

That second one at least has a 6/4/15 date on it, so I'm guessing the first one, which is pinned on an inside home page type thing, must be really old.
The first one was last fall (or last preseason?).

Flo's rankings are way more up to date and include bullet items of remarks about recent results & rank changes. But their P4P only goes to 14 & includes underclassmen.

Flo's Class rankings include head-to-head results, placings, and school lists

who says "
the recruits aren't talking and the gurus
don't know anything"

that's true?

Reactions: dnit
Flo's Class rankings include head-to-head results, placings, and school lists
I'm reading 'include' as 'things you considered in choosing the rank,' because the *free* lists I can read don't show them in print. And I'm reading 'school lists' as High Schools, as I don't see the college verbals. No judgment on any of that whatsoever, just observation. It's pretty clear Flo's ranks are the most current and, as such, most useful.

I do have a question on weight classes, tho. I notice in 6 of the top 20, that you list the wrestler at a weight class above what Intermat's Lowe lists them:
Suriano: 120 on IM, 126 on Flo
White: 152 & 160 on Flo
Red: 126 vs 132
Reenan: 170 vs 182
Moore: 182 vs 195
McKee: 126 vs 132

What's your approach to listing a wrestler at a particular weight? Your guess as to what they'll go at in the coming folkstyle season?

Thanks for taking my call, I'ma hang up & listen.

Yes the one pinned is probably old. No offense to you PA folk, but it wouldn't make sense to have Manville still at #2 for that to be the current list.

I'm reading 'include' as 'things you considered in choosing the rank,' because the *free* lists I can read don't show them in print. And I'm reading 'school lists' as High Schools, as I don't see the college verbals. No judgment on any of that whatsoever, just observation. It's pretty clear Flo's ranks are the most current and, as such, most useful.

I do have a question on weight classes, tho. I notice in 6 of the top 20, that you list the wrestler at a weight class above what Intermat's Lowe lists them:
Suriano: 120 on IM, 126 on Flo
White: 152 & 160 on Flo
Red: 126 vs 132
Reenan: 170 vs 182
Moore: 182 vs 195
McKee: 126 vs 132

What's your approach to listing a wrestler at a particular weight? Your guess as to what they'll go at in the coming folkstyle season?

Thanks for taking my call, I'ma hang up & listen.

Pretty sure Josh hasn't taken out Seniors so InterMat's are final 2014-15 ranks, whereas Willie has already moved on to 2015-16

Pretty sure Josh hasn't taken out Seniors so InterMat's are final 2014-15 ranks, whereas Willie has already moved on to 2015-16
Nah, he has. All 100 of them are rising Seniors. And the list's update is dated as 6/25/15.

[QUOTE="jtothemfp, post: 268785, member: 8202"
[/QUOTE]

Not to speak for Willie -- I believe he lists the most recent competition weight -- meaning, for a lot of these guys, where they wrestled at Flonats or Disney. It'll probably change again for Fargo, and again for Super 32, and as they change weights during the season. (Actual weight changes, not a guy bumping around for a match or two.)

I think some of you are confusing "Class Rankings" with weight rankings.

Class rankings are Top 100 recruit lists while weight rankings are top 20 at, say, 170lbs.

Josh hasn't removed SR's from his weight rankings. He hasn't updated them since his final end or the season edition. For instance, Anthony Valencia (a graduated SR) is still listed at 170.

The reason Isaiah White is listed as 160 on intermat is b/c he hasn't updated. I have I. White at 160 b/c they have been updated every couple weeks this spring/summer. So wts are accurate.

Josh has moved his Class of 2016 to the Senior Board. I still have Class of 2016 as the Junior Board. (i'll update soon).

Class rankings on both Intermat and Flo are premium products. (you have to have a subscription).

If you do have a subscription and click on their name - you go to their profile. On Flo, you can see their college list. Intermat, i don't believe, has that list.

Reactions: dnit
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT