ADVERTISEMENT

Weight Class Dominance - the Cael Years

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
2010 through 2023, inclusive;

Iowa is king, with 5 championships in 13 years. Two different Hawkeyes were champs.
Illinois had two championships, both from the same wrestler.
No one else had more than 1.

Four different teams had 2 individual championships, PSU, Cornell, Iowa & Ohio State.
For two of those teams, Cornell & Iowa, 2 different wrestlers contributed to the total.

One team, Cornell, had 3 championships, from 2 different wrestlers.
Four other teams had 2 each, with each school having a single wrestler earning the distinction.
Interesting trend, in 2-year increments; 2014 & 2015 for Stieber, 2016 & 2017 for Heil, 2018 & 2019 for Diakomihalis, and 2021 & 2022 for Lee. Will Alirez win in 2024 to keep the streak alive?

PSU the leader of the pack with 4, from 2 different wrestlers.
Cornell had 3, from 2 different wrestlers.

PSU with 3, all from the same wrestler.
Illinois with 2, both from the same wrestler.

PSU leads with 4 championships, from 2 different wrestlers.
Missouri & Oklahoma State each with 2, both sets from the same wrestler.

Penn State with 6, from 4 different wrestlers!
Oklahoma State & Arizona State with 2 championships each, same wrestler in both cases.

The most dominant of all weight classes, Penn State with 8 championships in 13 years!
4 different wrestlers contributed.
Cornell is next with 3 championships, from 2 different wrestlers.

Penn State and Missouri tied with 3 championships each.
Penn State had 3 different wrestlers as champs, Missouri had 1 guy win all three.
Iowa State had 2 championships, one each from 2 different wrestlers.

Minnesota leads with 4 championships, from 2 different wrestlers.
Ohio State has 3, from a single Superman.
NC State has two, from a single wrestler.

125 is such an enigma for Penn State. Obviously the Suriano injury and transfer reflects on lack of success. Losing In state Lee to the Iowa incentive plan hurt. I can think of 2 local kids that were AA at 125 that would of looked good in PSU colors. Zeke Moissey and Ethan Lyzak. I don't know if either would of won Championship but they were talented.

125 is such an enigma for Penn State. Obviously the Suriano injury and transfer reflects on lack of success. Losing In state Lee to the Iowa incentive plan hurt. I can think of 2 local kids that were AA at 125 that would of looked good in PSU colors. Zeke Moissey and Ethan Lyzak. I don't know if either would of won Championship but they were talented.
PSU was among Lizak's finalists. Fortunate miss. Talented, but a big part of J Rob's fall.

I must admit I’m a bit in the dark here too. Can you elaborate?
Major part of the drug ring. Larry Early too - Early’s dad getting hammered on social media about it is one reason his smugness is far less noticeable. I haven’t seen him post here in years, for example

Reactions: diggerpup
Wow, 157-197 for PSU is the sweet spot. I'm certain PSU was the only program to win at least one championship at all 10 weight classes during that timeframe, which shows the depth of our program and coaches ability. We Are...Really Blessed!!
Hmm. Might those be weights that roll around with Cael more often?

The studs of our incoming recruits (Barr, Ryder, Sealy, Mirasola twins) fit into our 57-97 lb portfolio. Can’t just be luck if the draw right? There’s an appeal at those weight classes that 125 doesn’t have at Penn State. But who needs 125 when you are putting half your team in the finals every year.

Reactions: creamery freak
2010 through 2023, inclusive;

Iowa is king, with 5 championships in 13 years. Two different Hawkeyes were champs.
Illinois had two championships, both from the same wrestler.

Four different teams had 2 individual championships, PSU, Cornell, Iowa & Ohio State.
For two of those teams, Cornell & Iowa, 2 different wrestlers contributed to the total.

One team, Cornell, had 3 championships, from 2 different wrestlers.
Four other teams had 2 each, with each school having a single wrestler earning the distinction.
Interesting trend, in 2-year increments; 2014 & 2015 for Stieber, 2016 & 2017 for Heil, 2018 & 2019 for Diakomihalis, and 2021 & 2022 for Lee. Will Alirez win in 2024 to keep the streak alive?

PSU the leader of the pack with 4, from 2 different wrestlers.
Cornell had 3, from 2 different wrestlers.

PSU with 3, all from the same wrestler.
Illinois with 2, both from the same wrestler.

PSU leads with 4 championships, from 2 different wrestlers.
Missouri & Oklahoma State each with 2, both sets from the same wrestler.

Penn State with 6, from 4 different wrestlers!
Oklahoma State & Arizona State with 2 championships each, same wrestler in both cases.

The most dominant of all weight classes, Penn State with 8 championships in 13 years!
4 different wrestlers contributed.
Cornell is next with 3 championships, from 2 different wrestlers.

Penn State and Missouri tied with 3 championships each.
Penn State had 3 different wrestlers as champs, Missouri had 1 guy win all three.
Iowa State had 2 championships, one each from 2 different wrestlers.

Minnesota leads with 4 championships, from 2 different wrestlers.
Ohio State has 3, from a single Superman.
NC State has two, from a single wrestler.
what about northern iowa at 184 they say they own that weight??LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT