ADVERTISEMENT

Updated: Where were stand with Recruits 7/1

bmw199

Apr 10, 2013
Update: Since my last update we have 3 commits. Colon who up til the final hour I had as going to UNC (can’t get them all right), Ellison Jordan (who I nailed the night before he surprised everyone else), and Joseph who surprised everyone. Joseph may have made the call since Michigan’s class appears full (I’ll explain that in a second) and we may be about to receive another commit bc Harbaugh is smarter than everyone else. Currently Michigan has 20 commits and are expecting announcements soon from Davis, Upshur, Hawkins and Amir Mitchell (all of them are over 75% CB to UM). This may be why Nordin has been trending PSU in his last 7 Crystal Balls. I’m moving him to commit watch and think this one could be ours soon. Recently Nordin and Hamlin [seamless transition] have been trading Vines on Twitter of themselves spinning footballs and then kicking them for field goals. Could we be witnessing the beginning of after practice shenanigans for years to come? I say maybe, just last week Paris Ford, 2017 4* S and #4 player in PA, and Hamlin announced that wherever they go to school it would be together. Well Ford was on campus last Friday for the Friday Night Lights Camp with Miles Sanders and since then they have both tweeted a number of pro PSU tweets. If both attend the Lasch Bash we could be making moves there. Speaking of the Lasch Bash, it is July 18th and will almost certainly result in one or more commits. Tre Nixon will be there and he just released his top ten and included us and 7 SEC schools along with Duke and Oregon. He eliminated ND which caused a few changes to his CB and produced another pick for us. We are his only currently scheduled visit. Jordan Fuller with also be at the Bash. Ferns is likely to decide shortly after the current recruiting dead period and is going to be back on campus soon with his mother. His father and him were really impressed last time, I am not sure if he’ll be there for the Bash or separately. Junior College top DT Chavis will also be at the Bash but has said he will not be making a decision until sometime this season, but then a number of our recent commits said the same thing. I would be surprised if we took him and Dioubate and stayed after Betiku and Gary but the three 2016 HS Srs are so talented you can’t not continue to recruit them. We will see how Franklin shakes it out. I am still convinced that he’s convinced he can take at least 25. Lastly, the Opening is July 7th to the 10th (Mike Farrell please take notes on how to appropriately run a 5* camp). We will have commits: Simmons, Zembiec, Hill, and Sanders there. Top targets that will be there include: Gary, Betiku, Hamlin, Fuller, Hansford, and 2017 5* RB Swift.

Commit Watch:
3* K Nordin

Very Good Chance:
4* WR Nixon, 4* S Pryts, 4* CB Hamlin, 4* LB Ferns, 4* DL Dioubate, 4* DE Betiku, 3* OLB Hudson, 3* OLB Brown, 3* OLB Toney, JC DT Chavis

In The Battle:
4* WR Diggs, 4* ATH Fuller, 3* OT Niang, 3* OLB Hansford, 3* WR Patterson, 3* OT Adams, JC DT Tanielu

Work Left To Do:
5* DT Gary, 4* WR Smothers, 4* TE Farrell, 3* DT Kamara

Have To Get Really Lucky:
4* OT Williams, 4* OG Davis, 4* TE Upshur, 4* OG Boudreaux, 4* WR Corley, 4* WR Hawkins, 3* CB Rene, 3* DT Wheeler

My opinion on where we stand with recruits based on rumors, where the coaching staff has made serious effort, offers, tweets (sometimes) and gut feeling. My categories(and their meanings) are Commit Watch (changed from Locks as to not offend recruiting gods), Very good chance(we sit very well with the recruit and are either the leader or perceived leader), In the Battle(We have a good shot and are equal to others or just slightly behind), Work left to do(there is another perceived leader or little information known on recruits intentions), Have to get really lucky(small chance to little to none).

Update: Since my last update we have 3 commits. Colon who up til the final hour I had as going to UNC (can’t get them all right), Ellison Jordan (who I nailed the night before he surprised everyone else), and Joseph who surprised everyone. Joseph may have made the call since Michigan’s class appears full (I’ll explain that in a second) and we may be about to receive another commit bc Harbaugh is smarter than everyone else. Currently Michigan has 20 commits and are expecting announcements soon from Davis, Upshur, Hawkins and Amir Mitchell (all of them are over 75% CB to UM). This may be why Nordin has been trending PSU in his last 7 Crystal Balls. I’m moving him to commit watch and think this one could be ours soon. Recently Nordin and Hamlin [seamless transition] have been trading Vines on Twitter of themselves spinning footballs and then kicking them for field goals. Could we be witnessing the beginning of after practice shenanigans for years to come? I say maybe, just last week Paris Ford, 2017 4* S and #4 player in PA, and Hamlin announced that wherever they go to school it would be together. Well Ford was on campus last Friday for the Friday Night Lights Camp with Miles Sanders and since then they have both tweeted a number of pro PSU tweets. If both attend the Lasch Bash we could be making moves there. Speaking of the Lasch Bash, it is July 18th and will almost certainly result in one or more commits. Tre Nixon will be there and he just released his top ten and included us and 7 SEC schools along with Duke and Oregon. He eliminated ND which caused a few changes to his CB and produced another pick for us. We are his only currently scheduled visit. Jordan Fuller with also be at the Bash. Ferns is likely to decide shortly after the current recruiting dead period and is going to be back on campus soon with his mother. His father and him were really impressed last time, I am not sure if he’ll be there for the Bash or separately. Junior College top DT Chavis will also be at the Bash but has said he will not be making a decision until sometime this season, but then a number of our recent commits said the same thing. I would be surprised if we took him and Dioubate and stayed after Betiku and Gary but the three 2016 HS Srs are so talented you can’t not continue to recruit them. We will see how Franklin shakes it out. I am still convinced that he’s convinced he can take at least 25. Lastly, the Opening is July 7th to the 10th (Mike Farrell please take notes on how to appropriately run a 5* camp). We will have commits: Simmons, Zembiec, Hill, and Sanders there. Top targets that will be there include: Gary, Betiku, Hamlin, Fuller, Hansford, and 2017 5* RB Swift.

Commit Watch:
3* K Nordin

Very Good Chance:
4* WR Nixon, 4* S Pryts, 4* CB Hamlin, 4* LB Ferns, 4* DL Dioubate, 4* DE Betiku, 3* OLB Hudson, 3* OLB Brown, 3* OLB Toney, JC DT Chavis

In The Battle:
4* WR Diggs, 4* ATH Fuller, 3* OT Niang, 3* OLB Hansford, 3* WR Patterson, 3* OT Adams, JC DT Tanielu

Work Left To Do:

4* OT Williams, 4* OG Davis, 4* TE Upshur, 4* OG Boudreaux, 4* WR Corley, 4* WR Hawkins, 3* CB Rene, 3* DT Wheeler

My opinion on where we stand with recruits based on rumors, where the coaching staff has made serious effort, offers, tweets (sometimes) and gut feeling. My categories(and their meanings) are Commit Watch (changed from Locks as to not offend recruiting gods), Very good chance(we sit very well with the recruit and are either the leader or perceived leader), In the Battle(We have a good shot and are equal to others or just slightly behind), Work left to do(there is another perceived leader or little information known on recruits intentions), Have to get really lucky(small chance to little to none).

Reactions: Shendojoe

Commit Watch:
3* K Nordin

Very Good Chance:

In The Battle:

Work Left To Do:

Good read as usual. Ferns & Dioubate remain my top 2 priorities. Betiku would be wonderful but everything I hear is that he is a heavy UCLA lean. Nordin would be great too. When's the last time PSU offered 2 kickers in one year?

Thanks, I enjoy these. With, what, 15 commits that gives us a max of ten more (perhaps less). You have 11 in the commit watch or very good chance categories. So there's that.

Commit Watch:
3* K Nordin

Very Good Chance:

In The Battle:

Work Left To Do:

I am relatively clueless when it comes to recruiting these days and very much appreciate your posts on the state of PSU recruiting. Thank you.

Give it up on Hawkins, Upshur, Wheeler, and doubtful on Gary. I am not as comfortable with Ferns as you may be.
I moved them to the lowest category, I don't like to officially delete people off the list until they commit elsewhere. But that bottom category might as well be "Not coming here".

Ferns is either us or WVU.

Commit Watch:
3* K Nordin

Very Good Chance:

In The Battle:

Work Left To Do:

Thanks for the time and effort you put into these Updates. I always enjoy reading them.

Reactions: bmw199
Give it up on Hawkins, Upshur, Wheeler, and doubtful on Gary. I am not as comfortable with Ferns as you may be.
If it wasn't for your patriotic sigpic I would have forgotten Independence Day was approaching.:)

Realistically, does the staff really want to have 20 or more commits this early? I'm sure they want to keep a few in their back pockets.

Of course, it is likely that we lose a flip or two, as nearly everybody does.

Signing Day 2016 is going to be a lot of fun

Is Lasch Bash the same as the 'BBQ' of the last few years?

As of now our only position of "need" seems to be LB. Would be really nice to get another top DL guy, but not critical. After landing 2-3 LBs I think it's best athlete regardless of position :)
Can we really get to 25 ships without "forcing" people out?

Can we really get to 25 ships without "forcing" people out?

I agree about LB and I share your concern about forcing kids out.

My opinion wrt scholarships:

We have 72 kids eligible to return next year. That means we can add 13 + 1 for each kid that doesn't return. 18 kids will have junior eligibility this year and senior eligibility next year. I can't imagine more than 8-9 of those 18 leaving early. That would give us 21-22 max for this year.

But even if I'm wrong and we take 25.... We have 53 scholarship athletes eligible to return in 2017. Adding 25 from this year's class = 78 kids. That means we would have only 7 scholarships for 2017 (+1 for each kid that leaves early).

IMO it comes down to this: The team is heavily weighted with underclassmen so scholarships will be limited for the next 2 years. I would always make room for top level recruits but there is absolutely no reason to take plan B kids. It would be better to save the scholarship for next year.

We have 72 kids eligible to return next year. That means we can add 13 + 1 for each kid that doesn't return. 18 kids will have junior eligibility this year and senior eligibility next year. I can't imagine more than 8-9 of those 18 leaving early. That would give us 21-22 max for this year.

But even if I'm wrong and we take 25.... We have 53 scholarship athletes eligible to return in 2017. Adding 25 from this year's class = 78 kids. That means we would have only 7 scholarships for 2017 (+1 for each kid that leaves early).

IMO it comes down to this: The team is heavily weighted with underclassmen so scholarships will be limited for the next 2 years. I would always make room for top level recruits but there is absolutely no reason to take plan B kids. It would be better to save the scholarship for next year.
If you count Walker as a multi-year scholarship. I personally do not.

It appears things are changing for players, too. By that, I mean that kids seem to be willing to leave a program and Xfer if not considered a key player by their Jr. year. That means you can count on more defections from kids you would normally retain for 4/5 years.

If you count Walker as a multi-year scholarship. I personally do not.
Really enjoy these updates, keep them coming! For some reason I have always been uneasy about Ferns. Can't put my finger on it but I have a gut feeling he may end up elsewhere. That said, if it really is us and WVU then he should commit within the next month as that is not a difficult decision IMHO.
I hope we can add Dioubate, Chavis, Hansford and any safety. If we get them it will be an enormously successful class. If we get those 4 then any others are icing on the cake and that would include Cam Brown, Toney, Pryts, Nixon and another OL.

Really enjoy these updates, keep them coming! For some reason I have always been uneasy about Ferns. Can't put my finger on it but I have a gut feeling he may end up elsewhere. That said, if it really is us and WVU then he should commit within the next month as that is not a difficult decision IMHO.
I hope we can add Dioubate, Chavis, Hansford and any safety. If we get them it will be an enormously successful class. If we get those 4 then any others are icing on the cake and that would include Cam Brown, Toney, Pryts, Nixon and another OL.
Thanks, Ferns brother just transferred to WVU. One of WVU's bball recruits keeps posting about Ferns going there. It will be a tough get but there is a chance.

If anyone has been watching today Nordin is picking up PSU Crystal Balls by the second today.

If anyone has been watching today Nordin is picking up PSU Crystal Balls by the second today.

Yep, it's been a 2 horse race and word is the other horse either pulled out or was pulled. Either way, I'm hearing that Nordin and Michigan have ended their relationship. Hopefully that signal goes out soon. If not, I expect it to happen at the Lasch Bash.

The latest turmoil regarding the Big 12 might play into our hands here with Ferns, perhaps.

It appears things are changing for players, too. By that, I mean that kids seem to be willing to leave a program and Xfer if not considered a key player by their Jr. year. That means you can count on more defections from kids you would normally retain for 4/5 years.

Dowrey, Gaia, Laurent, & Palmer will have senior eligibility next year. I don't think any of them are NFL prospects and they all have an opportunity to play as seniors. That's 4 at one position that I expect to return. Kids like Wilkerson (TE) and Kiley (WR) might not return for their senior year if it looks like they won't play. If they've graduated they might decide to get on with their life. If they haven't graduated they would have to sit out a year or go to D2. Some might want to do that but I think the number is limited.

It's plausible that 1/3 of our juniors will forego their senior seasons at PSU. 2/3 seems really unlikely.

Nordin would be a fascinating pickup in the sense that it is pretty rare to sign a K and P in the same class. It would certainly exhibit a huge committment to special teams. However, unless the staff has little confidence in Julius and Stevison, I don't see how it makes sense to bring in Nordin. That would mean that in 2016 we would have a true FR in Nordin and two reshirt SO in Julius and Stevison, at least one of whom should be on scholarship by that time if they are doing a solid job.
He is another one, like Ferns, I have just never gotten a good feel about. It was supposedly us and Iowa, then Iowa was out. Then us and UM, and now UM is out. I wonder if they are "out" because they are not prepared to accept the committment? And I wonder if PSU will be the next one to drop off the radar with him?

unless the staff has little confidence in Julius and Stevison
Unfortunately, I think you answered your own question. I would expect a lot of going for it on 4th down on the right side of the 50 this year. Nordin should announce for us soon.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Unfortunately, I think you answered your own question. I would expect a lot of going for it on 4th down on the right side of the 50 this year. Nordin should announce for us soon.

I have no idea if Julius he can kick FGs under pressure but he showed a strong leg in the BW game. On the other hand our punters looked just as bad as last year. It's difficult to believe that we can't pick up a better walk on punter. I wonder if our punters have more ability than they've shown. Maybe they just haven't been able to step up to the pressure of D1 football.

Reactions: mickey_PSU
I have no idea if Julius he can kick FGs under pressure but he showed a strong leg in the BW game. On the other hand our punters looked just as bad as last year. It's difficult to believe that we can't pick up a better walk on punter. I wonder if our punters have more ability than they've shown. Maybe they just haven't been able to step up to the pressure of D1 football.
Don't get me wrong I'm rooting for the kid. Love the nickname, Big Toe Joe. But the staffs actions are not inspiring. He does have a strong leg. Maybe he would retain kick offs even with Nordin on scholly.

Don't get me wrong I'm rooting for the kid. Love the nickname, Big Toe Joe. But the staffs actions are not inspiring. He does have a strong leg. Maybe he would retain kick offs even with Nordin on scholly.
Here is my completely uninformed take on Nordin. Ficken graduates, the staff offers the best K they can find (even though Nordin made just 3 FG last year). Nordin makes it seem that he is going to commit very soon to Iowa or PSU. Then spring practice starts and by most accounts Julius and Stevison had solid springs. All of a sudden things get quiet with Nordin. I think this may reflect the staff backing off. They can always re-engage in the fall if our kickers struggle.

Reactions: mickey_PSU
Here is my completely uninformed take on Nordin. Ficken graduates, the staff offers the best K they can find (even though Nordin made just 3 FG last year). Nordin makes it seem that he is going to commit very soon to Iowa or PSU. Then spring practice starts and by most accounts Julius and Stevison had solid springs. All of a sudden things get quiet with Nordin. I think this may reflect the staff backing off. They can always re-engage in the fall if our kickers struggle.

Nobody here backed off, in fact, we are in the lead for Nordin now...last 8 Crystal Balls ALL to PSU for Nordin. He is a GREAT kicker, and this staff wants a great punter, and a great kicker, in this class. I am on board 100 percent. It's part of winning on the field.

Commit Watch:
3* K Nordin

Very Good Chance:

In The Battle:

Work Left To Do:

I've been wondering why PSU doesn't have Tamba Hali help with recruiting Wole Betiku. Hali was in the same position as Betiku, from Africa, mother back there. Joe got his mother over here and made an NFL star out of him. I hope CJF, who doesn't know that story, works with LaVzr to communicate with Tamba.

CJF is from the SEC and knows how to manage scholarships. Medical scholarships, grayshirting, 5th year transfers, early graduation, underclass Xfers are ways to do this.

Dowrey, Gaia, Laurent, & Palmer will have senior eligibility next year. I don't think any of them are NFL prospects and they all have an opportunity to play as seniors. That's 4 at one position that I expect to return. Kids like Wilkerson (TE) and Kiley (WR) might not return for their senior year if it looks like they won't play. If they've graduated they might decide to get on with their life. If they haven't graduated they would have to sit out a year or go to D2. Some might want to do that but I think the number is limited.

It's plausible that 1/3 of our juniors will forego their senior seasons at PSU. 2/3 seems really unlikely.

Wilkerson and Kiley will likely go. Hack and Johnson will likely go. Walker had a 1 year scholarship awarded to him as the top walk on. Regarding Gaia and Dowrey, they both may return. But at guard we will have Wright, Bates, Gonzalez, Mahon at as well. Good chance Laurent moves on and Bates take the Center job. I see many of next years RS seniors in the secondary as not making the 2 deep and being candidates to graduate and move on to play somewhere else.

I see 20 as the low end for the class. And I think we'll have at least 18-20 commits by the time the season starts. Then we'll see what happens when the late 4 and 5 star kids decide in December and January.....

The dynamics really have changed with the rule that allows 5th year seniors that have graduated to transfer and play right away.

Wilkerson and Kiley will likely go. Hack and Johnson will likely go. Walker had a 1 year scholarship awarded to him as the top walk on. Regarding Gaia and Dowrey, they both may return. But at guard we will have Wright, Bates, Gonzalez, Mahon at as well. Good chance Laurent moves on and Bates take the Center job. I see many of next years RS seniors in the secondary as not making the 2 deep and being candidates to graduate and move on to play somewhere else.

I see 20 as the low end for the class. And I think we'll have at least 18-20 commits by the time the season starts. Then we'll see what happens when the late 4 and 5 star kids decide in December and January.....

The dynamics really have changed with the rule that allows 5th year seniors that have graduated to transfer and play right away.
I mostly agree. Laurent might stay because the RS freshmen still won't be ready. Agree about others if they are 5th year graduates. I hope we don't push kids out after 3 years if they havent graduated.

20 or 21 sound like a good numbers. That means 7 will go early (including Walker even if he returns).

A couple other "sleepers" who may not come back after the 15' season- Wartman-White, Bell, J.Smith, A.Smith, Hamilton (remember, he's a rs sophomore, if he has a great year, he may want to capitalize on the opportunity) and Breneman (similar to Donovan Smith, with questionable knees, he may also decide to take the opportunity while it's there)

As for the OPs list, I haven't heard much about Prytz and the little I have heard is that he's liking ND and Michigan more than us. I think when it's said and done, we'll take 7 or 8 more in this class. I think we'll take 1 or 2 LBs; 2 DBs (despite all the kids Franklin has taken, if you look at the roster in 2 years, we'll need depth), another OL and one more DT. After that, it's best player to round out the class. As for the PK, I don't think we take Nordin. I think the staff liked what they saw in Julius, among others, and despite the CBs (all of which had Gillikin 100% to NC), I

to finish my thought, I don't think we take Nordin, time will tell and I won't be disappointed if we do, I just think we have greater needs and opportunities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT