ADVERTISEMENT

Snap counts vs Northwestern

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
Cephus getting 2nd most plays at WR is interesting considering he has had some blatant mental errors. Staff might believe he is just too talented to keep on the bench and that the teams needs his potential production against the upcoming big games.

Would be interesting to see a more even split between Wallace and Shelton at RT to see if Shelton could improve and win the starting spot, given that Wallace hasn't improved enough to keep from being a weak link on the OL during his 3 years as a starter.

Great to have 5 DE's contributing.

Durant seemed to be the best DT on the field for PSU last week and saw the field the most. Anyone have an opinion on his play? I thought Izzard might be getting starting reps by now given his play down the stretch last season..

DeLuka seems to be moving up the depth chart at LB, somewhat.

Young CB's Washington and Tracy getting some snaps and developing. Nice to see.

Cephus getting 2nd most plays at WR is interesting considering he has had some blatant mental errors. Staff might believe he is just too talented to keep on the bench and that the teams needs his potential production against the upcoming big games.

Would be interesting to see a more even split between Wallace and Shelton at RT to see if Shelton could improve and win the starting spot, given that Wallace hasn't improved enough to keep from being a weak link on the OL during his 3 years as a starter.

Durant seemed to be the best DT on the field for PSU last week and saw the field the most. Anyone have an opinion on his play? I thought Izzard might be getting starting reps by now given his play down the stretch last season..

i agree with Cephus...loved his film coming from Kent State...definitely has a good burst/speed but his hands are kinda iffy and u can tell he's still learning on the job out there...Evans is really confusing me...he was supposed to be the deep threat, played some as a true FR and had a good Spring game but is MIA out there.

Durant has looked good for sure...i think Izzard might have the most pro potential overall but nagging injuries/off the field issues have held him back.

Cephus just needs reps. The important thing is he moves really well -- very quick and smooth. If he can get chemistry with Allar, the catches will fall into place. Likewise hopeful about McClain. There's just a lot to learn in the time they've had. Transferring is not easy.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Not sure why McClain did not get more snaps? I sure hope Cephus comes on strong and is a difference maker. Great to see the young LBs getting snaps. Durant will get better and better and with his speed he can do some damage.

I don't know how good DeLuca is taking on blockers and making tackles but he is fast. I remember one play he was running as fast as our safeties and DB's chasing down a running back

One should not overlook the impact that the flu may have played a big role in the distribution of snap counts by position in the NW game.

Cephas still looks lost to me. His physical tools are obvious. A QB and a receiver can't begin to have a rapport until they both understand thier check-offs. Cephas is still playing catch up with the play book. I hope he continues to get lots of reps against Massachusetts.

Love the play of the 3 DTs and only think they will get better. The versatility and deployment of the DEs is also interesting and impressive.

The secondary....has been just wow and Kobe King has shown flashes.

Last edited:
i agree with Cephus...loved his film coming from Kent State...definitely has a good burst/speed but his hands are kinda iffy and u can tell he's still learning on the job out there...Evans is really confusing me...he was supposed to be the deep threat, played some as a true FR and had a good Spring game but is MIA out there.

Durant has looked good for sure...i think Izzard might have the most pro potential overall but nagging injuries/off the field issues have held him back.
Evans has been injured. It seems that if he had been healthy for the start of the season he may have gotten considerably more opportunities in the offense.

Gotta believe that Cephas will show very reliable hands once he settles in to the offense as he had a very large number of catches at his former school. But playing against top B10 DB's is not the same as MAC DB's.

Cephus just needs reps. The important thing is he moves really well -- very quick and smooth. If he can get chemistry with Allar, the catches will fall into place. Likewise hopeful about McClain. There's just a lot to learn in the time they've had. Transferring is not easy.
McClain getting only one play is puzzling. He's made some nice catches already and has the frame and speed to be a read difference maker. Hope he gets more playing time going forward and shows that he can help the offense.

The offense has been adequate to win handily, but I'm also hoping that we see some targets a little further down the field for the WR's that have the speed to get open down the field. KLS, Cephus, Wallace, McClain....

I'm hoping Shelton can rise up and receive more PT @ RT. Any news yet on J.B. Nelson?

Evans has been injured. It seems that if he had been healthy for the start of the season he may have gotten considerably more opportunities in the offense.

Gotta believe that Cephas will show very reliable hands once he settles in to the offense as he had a very large number of catches at his former school. But playing against top B10 DB's is not the same as MAC DB's.
I generally agree with you and that Cephas will get better going forward, but it does not appear that he has played against any better DBs than he would have faced at Kent State......WVU, NW, this years Illinois team..... Iowa does generally have good pass defense.....thought that Cephas would use his athletic ability to get open early in the season as he was learning the offense better........he seems confused on his routes, lots of miscommunications with Drew.

McClain at least gets open and makes a good target. Catching the thing is another matter. After the catch he's good as well. Need one of them to step up.

I'm hoping Shelton can rise up and receive more PT @ RT. Any news yet on J.B. Nelson?
Yep, I agree. Wallace has been a below average and is likely keeping his starting job because he and Shelton are pretty close in performance, with senior status breaking the tie for Wallace.

I generally agree with you and that Cephas will get better going forward, but it does not appear that he has played against any better DBs than he would have faced at Kent State......WVU, NW, this years Illinois team..... Iowa does generally have good pass defense.....thought that Cephas would use his athletic ability to get open early in the season as he was learning the offense better........he seems confused on his routes, lots of miscommunications with Drew.
I believe the B10 DB's as well as WVU's DB's are better than MAC DB's on average.

But Cephus only showed up at PSU in August and it seems that has hurt him getting on the same page as Allar, as you mentioned. But as it's about mid season the offense really could use Cephus and McClain making some plays for the offense and contributing some "explosive" plays.

I don't believe we'll learn too much against UMass. We may have to depend on them making some plays against oh-high-ya without much history to back it up.......

McClain only getting 1 play last week seems to be the consequence of his drops the week before.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Not sure why McClain did not get more snaps? I sure hope Cephus comes on strong and is a difference maker. Great to see the young LBs getting snaps. Durant will get better and better and with his speed he can do some damage.
I doubt if they have given up on McClain. I see it as a coaching technique to enforce consequences and encourage attention to detail. I expect him back with good reps for Massachusetts. IMHO, the head scratcher is almost no reps for Amari Evans.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I doubt if they have given up on McClain. I see it as a coaching technique to enforce consequences and encourage attention to detail. I expect him back with good reps for Massachusetts. IMHO, the head scratcher is almost no reps for Amari Evans.
Evans has been hurt. Has it ever been confirmed that he is back to 100%? If not that is the reason......

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT