ADVERTISEMENT

U20 and U23 WTT

Levine over Rooks 4-2. Nice win over a 4-yr Big Ten starter and former NQ.

Evans also wins. 12-6. Had a Messenbrink counter TD so they must be teaching new moves still in State College.

Barraclough QF match in the hole mat 1.
BClaw…wow…heartbreaker there

• Sad
Reactions: mcpat
Evans draws Isaiah Delgado next. Delgado was a NQ this past season. Win that and he’ll see Cornell’s Saunders, the 3rd seed.

Levine wrestlers AppSt’s Isaac Byers next. Win that and he’ll see SDSU’s Caleb Gross.

TB awaits the winner of NCST’s Derek Fields and Pitt’s Jared Keslar.

Some coach arguing with scorekeeper is delaying Evans match. Scorekeeper telling him to leave as he has another match to score.

Evans vs Delgado (NQ)

Delgado put on shot clock. 1-0 Evans as it expires. Evans successfully defends Delgado shot. Evans single and finish. 3-0 Evans. Evans another TD. 5-0 at the break.

Evans TD and two exposures and it’s done. 11-0

Another win over a NQ for Evans.

It’s the Blood Round now for Levine, Evans and TB.

Evans and Levine both lose in R12.

Saunders is a stud. I know Cornella is good too, but it’s a bit surprising Saunders hasn’t started. 2x Fargo champ, Ironman Champ, Cadet and Junior World teams, etc. Even placed in senior open while in high school.

Last edited:
Reactions: donboy6499
What's the story with Matt Lee? Did he transfer out or just wrestling with a different club?

What's the story with Matt Lee? Did he transfer out or just wrestling with a different club?

He was wearing NLWC singlet, but it lists him with Maurer Coughlin WC. Maurer Coughlin is the local club in Indiana where all of the Lee's and many other DI wrestlers trained. Maybe he's at home for the summer?

Maurer and Coughlin have a nice pedigree. Maurer won 4 Indiana State titles and was highly ranked nationally, went to Ohio State and got hurt his freshman year and had to give up wrestling. Coughlin was a 2x NQ and 1x AA wrestling for IU, but may be better known for beating Ryan Morningstar in the Fargo Final. They do a really nice job with their club.

Chlebove over Schriever in SF.
Ryan Jack over Matthews in SF.
Ed Scott over Rathjen in SF.
Plott vs Kharchla is the final at 79KG.
Donnell Washington in Final at 86KG.
Surber vs Cardenas Final at 92KG

Reactions: zzs006
U23 isn’t a super deep bracket. Some are (65) but a lot of room level guys seem to have a good shot to make the team. That’s definitely the reason why they have the rule to give guys who have senior success the spot.

Reactions: donboy6499
Evans and Levine both lose in R12.

Saunders is a stud. I know Cornella is good too, but it’s a bit surprising Saunders hasn’t started. 2x Fargo champ, Ironman Champ, Cadet and Junior World teams, etc. Even placed in senior open while in high school.
Saunders really hasn’t improved much since his cadet years and his folkstyle results aren’t particularly inspiring.

I know the Lee family loves PSU but I couldn’t blame Matt if he did transfer. He’s really good and I think could be an AA in the future.

I've thought the same a few times over the past year or two. Wondered if he might go closer to home. Couldn't blame him if he wanted to give it a shot.

I've thought the same a few times over the past year or two. Wondered if he might go closer to home. Couldn't blame him if he wanted to give it a shot.
Pennsylvania is home now for them.

I would fully support it for Matt but I'd be shocked if he ever portaled. He kind of has the Cassar mentality that I'm here to be a national champ, if I can do that, I win the spot in the room. If I don't, I'm not a national champ anyways and would rather stay where I love.

I know the Lee family loves PSU but I couldn’t blame Matt if he did transfer. He’s really good and I think could be an AA in the future.
Well, Matt is obviously talented in freestyle, so why wouldn’t he want to stay with the best freestyle club in the country, while taking his shot for the 165 spot at PSU? Perhaps he’s jumped levels.

Pennsylvania is home now for them.

I would fully support it for Matt but I'd be shocked if he ever portaled. He kind of has the Cassar mentality that I'm here to be a national champ, if I can do that, I win the spot in the room. If I don't, I'm not a national champ anyways and would rather stay where I love.

I wasn't sure if their parents had made the move. I also wondered, as I watched his 2nd match with Ramirez, if it was telling at all that Angel Escobedo and another guy with an Indiana Wrestling shirt on were mat side watching. But I get what you're saying and that would not surprise me at all if he stays.
Regardless, on to match #3 after a 5-2 loss. Matt tried a last second throw and gave up a late takedown. Was a tight match all the way.

Last edited:
I wasn't sure if their parents had made the move. I also wondered, as I watched his 2nd match with Ramirez, if it was telling at all that Angel Escobedo and another guy with an Indiana Wrestling shirt on were mat side watching. But I get what you're saying and that would not surprise me at all if he stays.
Regardless, on to match #3 after a 5-2 loss. Matt tried a last second throw and gave up a late takedown. Was a tight match all the way.
In Sept 2022, Maurer and Coughlin became the head coaches of the Indiana Regional Training Center.

From the Indiana RTC Twitter acct: "We are very excited to welcome Blake Maurer and Matt Coughlin as our new RTC head coaches. They will work closely with our RTC athletes and all eligible athletes who qualify for RTC practices."

Blake Maurer and Matt Coughlin owned the club the Lee's grew up with in Evansville. Angel made a great hire bring these guys in. It is my understanding they still run their club in Southern Indiana and drive up to Bloomington a few times a week to work with the RTC wrestlers.

Luke is going to be amazing and an instant threat at 125. I see him sticking there for all four years. He is a gamer and wrestles the best in the big matches. We got another stud. I think he is better at freestyle than Folkstyle but still a great addition.

A world Silver, world gold and this year should be a world gold. It’s mind blowing he has lost a few in the last few years. He Mat IQ is the best I ever witness for a kid his age.

Messenbrink not in SC yet. Would be interesting to watch the development of Messenbrink and Haines once they start going at it. Also, Messenbrink with Nolf, Dake is going to make him an absolute killer.

Last edited:
Reactions: NittanyLion84
Luke is going to be amazing and an instant threat at 125. I see him sticking there for all four years. He is a gamer and wrestles the best in the big matches. We got another stud. I think he is better at freestyle than Folkstyle but still a great addition.

A world Silver, world gold and this year should be a world gold. It’s mind blowing he has lost a few in the last few years. He Mat IQ is the best I ever witness for a kid his age.
Not that he's not strong but he's handily beating guys who at least appear stronger than him, which typically translates well at the next level. He's remarkably relaxed looking for a 57kg, never out of position, and appears comfortable wrestling through everything. He's going to be fun to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT