ADVERTISEMENT

True Rivalry game vs PITT...

What rivalry game? pitt is not Penn State's rival.
They have always been Penn State's rival.Where have you been the last bunch of decades? The hatred between the fan bases seals the deal. If Penn State ever had a rival it surely is the University of Pittsburgh.

I for one would not consider playing a home (us) no home (them). There is already talk of the Steelers moving to the 'burbs. Where would we play them???

Besides, having been "treated" to hospitality (hostility) by Pitt fans I do not want to experience it again. Car - "keyed"; car - broken into; coffee thrown in the face of a person I was with that day. No thanks
Penn State fans are not happy with our current schedule but we'd rather not add Pitt and make it worse.
laughing-smiley-face.gif

My bad. I should not have responded to a Pitt troll. Here is fair warning to others.....eyebugs

1414152317830-troll_alert.gif
Sorry Gambit but I would rather have Pitt than anybody on the current ncs. That game would garner so much more hype than the awful ncs. It's not even close.

[QU OTE="fairgambit, post: 279810, member: 8190"]I live in the Pittsburgh area and my wife is a Pitt grad. I have no desire to play Pitt annually and as a Penn State fan of nearly 50 years, I will let the powers that be know my feelings (not that it will matter). I want to play national teams like Oregon, FSU, Georgia, or Texas. Playing Pitt does not benefit us. Playing Pitt benefits Pitt.
how does anybody think that playing any team on the current non conference schedule benefits Penn State?[/QUOTE]
I don't think anyone is suggesting that, but if you are going to subtract a Temple, or a Buffalo for example, why not add Texas, or LSU, home and home, instead of Pitt? It would be a national game, not a regional one, and it would expose this tremendous recruiting staff to other areas of the country.

Sorry Gambit but I would rather have Pitt than anybody on the current ncs. That game would garner so much more hype than the awful ncs. It's not even close.
I hate the current schedule, but I would take LSU in a heartbeat over Pitt, and I suspect so would most of our fans. Let me add I would like to see a poll of season ticket holders as to whether they would prefer a stronger non conference schedule (I am sure the answer would be yes) and, if so, whether they would prefer to play Pitt, or some honest to god national team like Texas, LSU, Georgia, USC, Oregon, Notre Dame, Miami, Florida State, etc. I think if you got 5,000 responses, only a fraction would favor Pitt over a national game but I may be totally wrong. Among the Penn State alums I talk to, and most are in the Pittsburgh area, there is little support for playing Pitt over a national team.

Last edited:
Reactions: john4psu
I also live in the Pittsburgh area and have the exact same experience as you. The only time we hear about Pitt is when someone is making fun of them, or it's basketball season.

I too think the Pro-team argument is a tired cop-out. Basically someone can afford thousands of dollars for pro tickets, but can't shell out $99 for Pitt season tickets?!?!
I won't get in a pissing match with you, it isn't worth it, but why is it that most if not all, of the urban universities with pro teams, struggle with attendance? None of them sell out. So, it is not a cop-out, it is a reality. Also, regarding tix, my sister is an example. She had Steeler, Pens, and Pitt season tix. Told me a few years ago that they couldn't afford it anymore. Husband (from Ohio with no ties to Pitt) chose to give up Pitt tix. If you are from Pgh, then you should realize the difference. It's funny that some PSU fans that I know understand this point. I guess they must be a different breed of PSU fan.

We take pride in the fact, and duly promote, that we are UNRIVALED.

I won't get in a pissing match with you, it isn't worth it, but why is it that most if not all, of the urban universities with pro teams, struggle with attendance? None of them sell out. So, it is not a cop-out, it is a reality. Also, regarding tix, my sister is an example. She had Steeler, Pens, and Pitt season tix. Told me a few years ago that they couldn't afford it anymore. Husband (from Ohio with no ties to Pitt) chose to give up Pitt tix. If you are from Pgh, then you should realize the difference. It's funny that some PSU fans that I know understand this point. I guess they must be a different breed of PSU fan.
I am from PIttsburgh and I just don't buy it. People on this Board know I often defend Pitt because my wife is a Pitt grad and so I speak without malice but based upon what I see. The Pitt fans I know, and I know plenty who are not season ticket holders, have no money issues (i.e. they could easily afford Pitt tickets). They just don't care to go to Pitt games. Your sister is unique. Steeler and Penguins tickets are outrageously expensive, so I can understand not getting Pitt tickets, but Pittsburgh is a big sports town and there is no reason a good Pitt team would not sell out. Pitt's problem is not the Pirates, Steelers, or Penguins. Their problem is they have a product nobody wants. I know 6 people with Pitt basketball tickets and none of them has Steeler, or Penguin, tickets. None of them have Pitt football tickets either. They just don't value the product. Win a bunch of games and people will take interest.

Reactions: pandaczar12
Pitt looking to take another cast off, a wr suspended from md
I don't think this is a done deal. From what I understand, the kid says he wants Pitt but Pitt has not yet said they want him. I think it would look really bad if they took him given his problems at Maryland, but I suppose the kid deserves another chance.

only major power

Not really, Texas AM no longer plays Texas and Nebraska no longer plays Oklahoma. As you said, its a different era and playing games that make money for the teams and the conference is what it's all about. Clearly, you are passionate about the old rivalry between Pitt and Penn State. There is a lot of emotion behind this from fans on both sides, but the logic and money don't support a case for Penn State agreeing to a long term home and home agreement. Of course, I won't protest if this happens, but I'm not going to applaud it either.

Does Pitt football even matter to Pittsburgh, let alone the State of Pennsylvania?

Very good point. The people in Pittsburgh don't support Pitt football. Why would Pitt fans think the rest of the state cares about them?

Reactions: john4psu
I think Pittsburgh is a city that only supports winners. If Pitt could ever win their attendance would improve. I live in Pittsburgh and have no hatred towards Pitt...since I never saw a quality Pitt team. I went to see the biggest choke game when Wannstedt choked against Cincinatti. It was a good college atmosphere that day. Too bad Pitt does what it always does...it choked.

Even in Pitt's heyday with Marino etc, they drew well but usually did not fully sell out most games. Back then, nobody complained about it all that much. It was a different era.

Not really, Texas AM no longer plays Texas and Nebraska no longer plays Oklahoma. As you said, its a different era and playing games that make money for the teams and the conference is what it's all about. Clearly, you are passionate about the old rivalry between Pitt and Penn State. There is a lot of emotion behind this from fans on both sides, but the logic and money don't support a case for Penn State agreeing to a long term home and home agreement. Of course, I won't protest if this happens, but I'm not going to applaud it either.
Yes but they still play each other and that is called the "Red River rivalry". They still have a rival in each other.

I hate the current schedule, but I would take LSU in a heartbeat over Pitt, and I suspect so would most of our fans. Let me add I would like to see a poll of season ticket holders as to whether they would prefer a stronger non conference schedule (I am sure the answer would be yes) and, if so, whether they would prefer to play Pitt, or some honest to god national team like Texas, LSU, Georgia, USC, Oregon, Notre Dame, Miami, Florida State, etc. I think if you got 5,000 responses, only a fraction would favor Pitt over a national game but I may be totally wrong. Among the Penn State alums I talk to, and most are in the Pittsburgh area, there is little support for playing Pitt over a national team.
Only because Penn St. and Pitt are down right now. Ask that question 30 years ago and LSU would have not garnered a 20% favorable rating. If the rivalry was never interrupted Pitt would be the choice. If Pitt was a top ten team like they were in the seventies and early eighties nobody would be voted to replace them. Also just about every one of those teams would replace Penn St. with the other teams on your list. Look you are probably going to get your way because it's the way of this world so your position is secure. Tradition changes also.

what does that have to do with anything?

Related side bar that shows that Pitt sucks. Have a little fun!

Ohio State has no problem selling out their stadium, and they are a city school that competes with pro sports. So please just stop.

Yeah, she spent $10,000 on pro sports, but had to drop the $100 Pitt tickets. If you believe that, I will sell you the Clemente Bridge.

Reactions: ralpieE
Related side bar that shows that Pitt sucks. Have a little fun!

Ohio State has no problem selling out their stadium, and they are a city school that competes with pro sports. So please just stop.

Yeah, she spent $10,000 on pro sports, but had to drop the $100 Pitt tickets. If you believe that, I will sell you the Clemente Bridge.
Columbus has a pro hockey team, but no NFL or MLB team, not comparing apples to apples. Check cities with pro football and college football teams. I believe Pitt was 4th two yrs ago. And, yes, my sister gave up those because it was 3rd on list, plus they could not make many of the games. You don't have to accept the assertion, it seems you would disagree with anything positive regarding Pitt. We will agree to disagree on many accounts. It seems odd that some on this board are such Pitt haters but live in Pittsburgh. I can't imagine myself living in State College and hating the hometown team.

Last edited:
Only because Penn St. and Pitt are down right now. Ask that question 30 years ago and LSU would have not garnered a 20% favorable rating. If the rivalry was never interrupted Pitt would be the choice. If Pitt was a top ten team like they were in the seventies and early eighties nobody would be voted to replace them. Also just about every one of those teams would replace Penn St. with the other teams on your list. Look you are probably going to get your way because it's the way of this world so your position is secure. Tradition changes also.

How is Penn State "down"?

Columbus has a pro hockey team, but no NFL or MLB team, not comparing apples to apples. Check cities with pro football and college football teams. I believe Pitt was 4th two yrs ago. And, yes, my sister gave up those because it was 3rd on list. You don't have to accept that assertion, it seems you would disagree with anything positive regarding Pitt. We will agree to disagree on many accounts. It seems odd that some on this board are such Pitt haters but live in Pittsburgh. I can't imagine myself living in State College and hating the hometown team.

Try imagining that they are Penn State fans. It will be one of the things that you imagine that actually turns out to be true !!!!!

The absolute BEST thing you can do for yourself is run as fast as you can away from Pitt football. Trust me on that.

Columbus has a pro hockey team, but no NFL or MLB team, not comparing apples to apples. Check cities with pro football and college football teams. I believe Pitt was 4th two yrs ago. And, yes, my sister gave up those because it was 3rd on list. You don't have to accept that assertion, it seems you would disagree with anything positive regarding Pitt. We will agree to disagree on many accounts. It seems odd that some on this board are such Pitt haters but live in Pittsburgh. I can't imagine myself living in State College and hating the hometown team.

So now the argument changes. Keep on flailing. I don't disagree with anything positive regarding Pitt, just things that are counter to facts and logic. How is your sister putting a bunch of overpaid pro athletes that play for the local teams instead of her university positive for Pitt?

Face it, people just don't care about Pitt. I know many people who are die hard steelers fans that live in Pittsburgh and only have PSU season tickets. I am one of those people, PSU is the priority. It seems odd that some on this board are such PSU haters but live in Pennsylvania. I can't imagine myself living in Pennsylvania and hating the home team.

I don't know if the hatred for Pitt stems from an old rivalry? Or the belief the few players they get have kept PSU from becoming as dominant as OSU in PA? I mean we haven't played them for years. They really aren't recruiting on our level and they are in a different conference. I just don't love or hate them. They are just a team that happens to be close to where I live. I can take them or leave them.

Last edited:
I don't know if the hatred for Pitt stems from an old rivalry? Or the belief the few players they get have kept PSU from becoming as dominant as OSU in PA? I mean we haven't played them for years. They really aren't recruiting on our level and they are in a different confence. I just don't love or hate them. They are just a team that happens to be close to where I live. I can take them or leave them.

Many people feel the way you do. Those of us who are exposed to their extremely limited, and extremely vile fanbase eventually develop a distaste for them, and enjoy making fun of how pathetic they are.

Pitt football is in a death spiral, and the sooner they hit rock bottom the sooner these damned threads can finally die. Then Peake and his Lair brethren can move onto banning and insulting the fans of Carnegie-Mellon.

Many people feel the way you do. Those of us who are exposed to their extremely limited, and extremely vile fanbase eventually develop a distaste for them, and enjoy making fun of how pathetic they are.
I agree with you panda, because the arrogance and demeaning nature of some PSU fans, is the reason many Pitt fans (and others) hate PSU and make fun of their bad fortune with the scandal, etc. I guess, it is the nature of fans of rival schools. They feel strongly and get nasty and defensive. Fortunately, my PSU friends are not like that, and I don't need to feel that way. College football is a game, not war. It is meant to create competition and fun for participants, not foster hatred and bias.

I just don't visit the lair. I find Rutgers fans just as delusional and obscene. I just don't get the hatred for a team we don't play. Maybe after 2016 I will.

37 year old who was at the last round of PSU / Pitt games that end in 2000. Honestly couldn't have cared less about Pitt. OSU and 1997and 1999 UM games were what we cared about. None of my friends cared either.

The rivalry died 20 yea ears ago when PSU joined the
Big Ten.

Plus isn't WVU your biggest rivalry? You played them more than PSU. The Backyard Brawl. Why don't you start that back up?

37 year old who was at the last round of PSU / Pitt games that end in 2000. Honestly couldn't have cared less about Pitt. OSU and 1997and 1999 UM games were what we cared about. None of my friends cared either.

The rivalry died 20 yea ears ago when PSU joined the
Big Ten.

Plus isn't WVU your biggest rivalry? You played them more than PSU. The Backyard Brawl. Why don't you start that back up?

Penn State dominated Pitt from the 80s and especially during the 90s. Pitt was consistently crushed. The game became meaningless, and Pitt wanted ever increasing amounts of money from Penn State.

I just don't have the rivalry hatred for Pitt. Honestly, if they were a good team. I would like to see it become a rivalry. I think it would be great to have that. I hate OSU but know their true rival is Michigan. I don't think they really care about us.

I agree with you panda, because the arrogance and demeaning nature of some PSU fans, is the reason many Pitt fans (and others) hate PSU and make fun of their bad fortune with the scandal, etc. I guess, it is the nature of fans of rival schools. They feel strongly and get nasty and defensive. Fortunately, my PSU friends are not like that, and I don't need to feel that way. College football is a game, not war. It is meant to create competition and fun for participants, not foster hatred and bias.

What you don't seem to get is that the arrogance and demeaning nature is in general, a reaction to vile/delusional Pitt fans. Pitt is the root cause of the bad blood between the schools. I didn't even know it was a rivalry until I moved to Pittsburgh and suddenly am told "I hate you because you went to PSU". The first time I asked "why" and was told "because I went to Pitt". I literally said, "so, what does that matter?". You ignore it for a while, but it just keeps popping up. Eventually you get sick of, and start to make fun of their constant misfortune.

Wrong... the red river rivalry is Texas vs Oklahoma, not Texas vs Texas AM or Nebraska vs Oklahoma. Neither of these rivalries are being played now or scheduled in the future.

It's also an in-conference game and neither team gives up anything to play it.

What you don't seem to get is that the arrogance and demeaning nature is in general, a reaction to vile/delusional Pitt fans. Pitt is the root cause of the bad blood between the schools. I didn't even know it was a rivalry until I moved to Pittsburgh and suddenly am told "I hate you because you went to PSU". The first time I asked "why" and was told "because I went to Pitt". I literally said, "so, what does that matter?". You ignore it for a while, but it just keeps popping up. Eventually you get sick of, and start to make fun of their constant misfortune.
If your experience with Pitt is that bad, then it is your right to feel that way. Pitt fans are like PSUs and all others, there are good and bad, just like there are people. I apologize for Pitt fans that act that way, they are just as wrong as the ones who hate on Pitt because they were from PSU. The Pitt board has its extremists just as yours does, and some posters say ridiculous things. I have had some good discussions on the Pitt board with PSU fans, and have had some good ones here. There just is no reason for arrogance and demeaning to posters who have a different opinion. PSU is an excellent school as is Pitt. PSU is doing better than Pitt in recruiting and Pitt has been better in hoops. There are positive things to say about each. I have not said disrespectful things about PSU on your board, I just defend Pitt like any other loyal fan.

Reactions: PSU-Knocker
Agree that the vileness and hatred is much, much worse than it was when I was young, and I do believe most of it comes from the Pitt side. I've lived in Pittsburgh most of my adult life, and the vitriol against PSU is a thousand times worse now than it ever was.

I think people are going to be so shocked and disgusted about what Heinz Field will be like in 2016, that there will be a significant amount of pressure to cancel the last two games of the series. It is going to be truly dangerous and revolting in a way that never happened in the 60's and 70's.

JF's recruiting successes, and any football successes that we have on the field, will only make things worse and worse. It is going to be a shitstorm at Heinz.

If your experience with Pitt is that bad, then it is your right to feel that way. Pitt fans are like PSUs and all others, there are good and bad, just like there are people. I apologize for Pitt fans that act that way, they are just as wrong as the ones who hate on Pitt because they were from PSU. The Pitt board has its extremists just as yours does, and some posters say ridiculous things. I have had some good discussions on the Pitt board with PSU fans, and have had some good ones here. There just is no reason for arrogance and demeaning to posters who have a different opinion. PSU is an excellent school as is Pitt. PSU is doing better than Pitt in recruiting and Pitt has been better in hoops. There are positive things to say about each. I have not said disrespectful things about PSU on your board, I just defend Pitt like any other loyal fan.

You have no standing to apologize for your vile "fanbase," whether that makes you feel warm and fuzzy or not.

You are a cartoon. That's a fact. Just stop.

Last edited:
I have been to numerous Pitt games during the Heinz Field era with family and friends. The usual experience is this:

1) Parking a mile away in some garage and walking past the empty "Gold lots" that are reserved for the big Whigs who only show up vs. Wvu, ND, or FSU.

2) Sitting in a section that literally allows you have an entire row of 21 seats to yourselves and the ability to move freely to another section (like under a roof when it rains).

3) The student section varies by opponent, but honest to God most of them head for the exits after singing sweet caroline after the 3rd quarter. They would rather get in line for the busses back to Oakland to party instead of seeing the outcome of the game. Forget staying to sing the alma mater. I remember the "F____" Miami and ND chants.

4) The loudest cheers come when wvu or psu score is shown and we are losing.

5) a lot of Pitt fans are only used to going to Steelers (pro) games so they treat fans of the other teams very rude...expect a lot of vulgarity and pedophile jokes on 2016. I witnessed a fan once harassing the Texas A&M band and calling them all rednecks.

6) The fans turn on the team and coaches very quickly. I heard fans shouting death threats to Tino Sunseri.

7) The games on Wednesday and Thursday nights and the ones thanksgiving weekend are lucky to have 25,000 to 30,000 there. It really is a dismal atmosphere.

8) A lot of the older guys I know openly admit to not going to Pitt games because they can't drink beer. This holds some truth as I've been to many Steelers games where people spend half the game getting up to get beer instead of watching the game.

9) You will hear the cheer "Let's go Pitt" 1,000 times as it's the only cheer anyone knows. No student section activities, no waves, no originality or noise or standing up during crucial 3rd and 4th downs.

10) It comes close to a sell out vs. ND, WVU, and FSU because of the amount of visiting fans. It will be the same way when we play there, thus their AD making his first call to Penn State.

11) The local sports shows don't put much energy into Pitt football. The order is and always will be Steelers, Pirates baseball, Penguins start of the season, and then they always show our game highlights along with wvu (which really grinds the gears of the few Pitt faithful.)

All in all, Pitt is a running joke and that is why fans get excited to see another new coaching change because they believe "this one will be different". But like Todd Graham and Chryst, Narduzzi doesn't realize how bad the Pitt game experience is until they go thru it a season and can't wait to get back to a true college football program since Pitt feels more like minor league football. It is what it is and won't ever change.

So out of every 10 years, I say we play Pitt twice or 3 times of they do a 2 for 1. The other 8 years should include a regional home and home vs. VT, Syr, BC, WVU, etc amongst Pitt's slot, a home and home vs. SEC or Pac12, and then a neutral game once in a while in NYC or Atlanta (I think a team like LSU, Ole Miss, Georgia, or Florida wouldn't mind coming up to the Big Apple to play us since it gives them big city exposure and they can one up Alabama while doing it).

Reactions: psu00
I think ND would agree to a 1 game in NYC or Philly as well. They are playing Temple in Philly this year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT