ADVERTISEMENT

True Rivalry game vs PITT...

dawgduice

Jun 2, 2006
for good and bad they are our ONLY rival (history proves that). Is there any way to play such a game at the end of the season. In short, after the Big 10 conference season ?????
I know the Big 10 "accommodated" OSU and Michigan (shocker).

Reactions: Fed Express
for good and bad they are our ONLY rival (history proves that). Is there any way to play such a game at the end of the season. In short, after the Big 10 conference season ?????

It should be (assuming people actually want that as the only P5 OOC opponent).........but it's the big ten so they will say no and it will be a fight (and we know PSU has no fighting will).

When did OSU or Michigan get to play OOC games after the B1G schedule finished?

When did OSU or Michigan get to play OOC games after the B1G schedule finished?

He was referring to the conference deferring to OSU and Michigan at time of B10 division alignment which has resulted in the severely lopsided conference alignment we have now.

OSU and Michigan wanted their game to be guaranteed as last of the year and Michigan insisted on keeping Michigan St as a yearly opponent. That couldn't be done unless they were all in the east division and actually led to some consideration of sending PSU to the western division so it could happen. In the end they just put PSU, OSU, Michigan, and Michigan St all in the east so as not to upset OSU or UM.

I have no desire to play Pitt annually, but if it did happen, I would prefer an early game. By year's end, BigTen teams beat each other up, while Pitt plays flag football in the candyass ACC.

The only way I would advocate a long term annual game between Pitt and PSU is PSU gets a home game and the next year is a neutral game in Pittsburgh where both teams split the revenue. How many more home games has Pitt had in this series? Now Penn State has much more standing and should get right the imbalance. Once Penn State has caught up to Pitt, then we can return to a true home and home.

He was referring to the conference deferring to OSU and Michigan at time of B10 division alignment which has resulted in the severely lopsided conference alignment we have now.

OSU and Michigan wanted their game to be guaranteed as last of the year and Michigan insisted on keeping Michigan St as a yearly opponent. That couldn't be done unless they were all in the east division and actually led to some consideration of sending PSU to the western division so it could happen. In the end they just put PSU, OSU, Michigan, and Michigan St all in the east so as not to upset OSU or UM.

That's completely different from having an OOC game for one team at the end of every year. It causes significant scheduling hassles for the other teams in the conference. Look at the PAC-12 with the deference they give to Stanford and USC alternating playing ND every year. One team each year has to struggle to find a game for the final week of the regular season. This year Arizona doesn't get a bye week until the last week of the regular season and their normal season ending game with Arizona State is moved up a week.

OSU and Michigan getting the last game when they were in different divisions and making allowances for a B1G team to play an OOC game the week before a championship game is apples and oranges.

I have no desire to play Pitt annually, but if it did happen, I would prefer an early game. By year's end, BigTen teams beat each other up, while Pitt plays flag football in the candyass ACC.
really ignorant post... candyass ACC? All the P5 teams get beat up.....Only the SEC is above the rest

Reactions: Joe Pa Thetic
I would like to see them play annually home and home... ...I think an annual game will come to fruition. I am curious though if you guys see RU as a rival in the future?

I hope you "Pitt is a rival" types can get your rocks off on these occasional four games forays with Pitt, but I'm not wishing for more. I want PSU to do what's better for PSU and that's not sacrificing the extra game we get with someone who does not require a return visit.

Reactions: fairgambit
That's completely different from having an OOC game for one team at the end of every year. It causes significant scheduling hassles for the other teams in the conference. Look at the PAC-12 with the deference they give to Stanford and USC alternating playing ND every year. One team each year has to struggle to find a game for the final week of the regular season. This year Arizona doesn't get a bye week until the last week of the regular season and their normal season ending game with Arizona State is moved up a week.

OSU and Michigan getting the last game when they were in different divisions and making allowances for a B1G team to play an OOC game the week before a championship game is apples and oranges.

Whatever. You knew what he meant. Funny how many SEC and ACC teams have no trouble playing OOC rivalry games in the last game every year. I swear Penn Staters are becoming more and more Midwestern in their attitudes over the years- everything's always too difficult and the deferred answer is usually no. Funny how Georgia, Georgia Tech, Clemson, South Carolina, Florida, Florida State can all do it.

I hope you "Pitt is a rival" types can get your rocks off on these occasional four games forays with Pitt, but I'm not wishing for more. I want PSU to do what's better for PSU and that's not sacrificing the extra game we get with someone who does not require a return visit.
I live in the Pittsburgh area and my wife is a Pitt grad. I have no desire to play Pitt annually and as a Penn State fan of nearly 50 years, I will let the powers that be know my feelings (not that it will matter). I want to play national teams like Oregon, FSU, Georgia, or Texas. Playing Pitt does not benefit us. Playing Pitt benefits Pitt.

I live in the Pittsburgh area and my wife is a Pitt grad. I have no desire to play Pitt annually and as a Penn State fan of nearly 50 years, I will let the powers that be know my feelings (not that it will matter). I want to play national teams like Oregon, FSU, Georgia, or Texas. Playing Pitt does not benefit us. Playing Pitt benefits Pitt.

My son-in-law is a Pitt graduate. And I "may" pre date you as PSU?
Maybe just Maybe :)
That being said, I kind of miss the "back and forth" prior to THE game. Look, I do understand that "we" have moved on, and we have much more to lose in such a match up, but FUN is FUN !!
I do not get that "feeling" for any other team we play. We are NOT rivals with anyone else? Are we?

Whatever. You knew what he meant. Funny how many SEC and ACC teams have no trouble playing OOC rivalry games in the last game every year. I swear Penn Staters are becoming more and more Midwestern in their attitudes over the years- everything's always too difficult and the deferred answer is usually no. Funny how Georgia, Georgia Tech, Clemson, South Carolina, Florida, Florida State can all do it.

None of those teams play a nine game conference schedule.

The only way I would advocate a long term annual game between Pitt and PSU is PSU gets a home game and the next year is a neutral game in Pittsburgh where both teams split the revenue. How many more home games has Pitt had in this series? Now Penn State has much more standing and should get right the imbalance. Once Penn State has caught up to Pitt, then we can return to a true home and home.
That was a long time ago Dan and frankly an unreasonable request. This is a different Era and should be treated as such.

What has been the excuse all these years that we have been on an 8 game conference schedule? Those teams all have gotten it done. It's time for Penn St. and Pitt to get it together.

really ignorant post... candyass ACC? All the P5 teams get beat up.....Only the SEC is above the rest
How on earth can we Penn Staters make comments criticizing other teams schedules. Our schedule is beyond bad. I'm sure Pitts strength of schedule would be stronger than ours. Surprising they recruit so well with so few good games a year.

I "may" pre date you as PSU?

Therein lies the problem, senility has set in.
large-smiley-057.gif

What has been the excuse all these years that we have been on an 8 game conference schedule? Those teams all have gotten it done. It's time for Penn St. and Pitt to get it together.

The "excuse" is that we make more money by scheduling a team that does not require a return visit. That money goes to support our 32 sport athletic programs. You see we believe in supporting our programs, not Pitt's.

Reactions: therod and m48tank
Uh.....no thanks.

Actually....HELL no thanks.

Let Rutgers or the Hoopies figure out how to get Pitt on their schedules.

I grew up midway between State College and Pittsburgh......at a time when the "rivalry" was at its peak (Dorsett/Marino/Warner/Fusina/Majors/Paterno/Sherrill). If ANY FAN would be likely to view that match up as a rivalry, it would be me - because I was at the epicenter for the best 15 years of it........but I would NEVER want to force feed that Pitt program onto PSU's schedule - and CERTAINLY not as some kind of end-of-year rival.

That dog died a generation ago. Even the occasional 2 or 4 game series with Pitt is something I would rather see replaced with ANY DECENT match up with a power five school (VT, WVU, etc.....and there are a TON of great matchups that one would hope to have against truly top-notch programs.....all of them are a better option than Pitt)

Doesn't matter. The question was could an OOC game with Pitt be scheduled as the last game of the year. Assuming you wanted Pitt as the only P5 OOC team (I do not but if you did)- then yes it can be done.

Last edited:

"This is a different Era (sic) and should be treated as such."

The "excuse" is that we make more money by scheduling a team that does not require a return visit. That money goes to support our 32 sport athletic programs. You see we believe in supporting our programs, not Pitt's.
any P5 team is going to require a home and home... keep your pathetic schedule the way it is I guess is okay with you

Reactions: Joe Pa Thetic
I
any P5 team is going to require a home and home... keep your pathetic schedule the way it is I guess is okay with you

I don't understand why Pitt fans are so thick and don't get this point. With a 9 game conference schedule there are only 3 OOC games. 2 of those need to be home every year to get 7 home games and support all PSU sports. That leaves 1 OOC game for a home/away series. The great majority of Penn Staters would rather rotate that game (VA Tech, WVU, Bama, etc) rather than be stuck only with Pitt every year. Unless the big ten decides to go back to 8 conference games (giving 4 OOC games) or Pitt agrees to some sort of 2-1 or 3-1 agreement then a yearly series with Pitt just isn't going to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: m48tank
I would like to see them play annually home and home... ...I think an annual game will come to fruition. I am curious though if you guys see RU as a rival in the future?

No way. This is no longer a rivalry. Unless they are willing to do a 2 for 1 or even 3 for 1 deal. It brings no benefit to us. We just sacrifice one of our home game to the lowly Pitt. Does not make sense. Home and home schedules should be against the high visibility teams, e.g. ND, Alabama, FSU, USC and etc.
Pit is not in that caliber.

Reactions: m48tank and psu00

History does NOT prove this. Pitt only won 1 game of the last 8, against one of the worst PSU teams ever. They were 23-7-1 against PSU since 1966. Pitt was only relevant for a few years in the late 70s when they were cheating. The only thing history proves is that Pitt is irrelevant.

I really like how you describe your post (really ignorant post) before you type it. How did the ACC's best fair against Oregon? How did the SEC's best fair against Ohio State? How bad did Ohio State beat Oregon? Go away.

(This is the same Ohio State team that only beat PSU because of "officiating mistakes".)

My son-in-law is a Pitt graduate. And I "may" pre date you as PSU?
Maybe just Maybe :)
That being said, I kind of miss the "back and forth" prior to THE game. Look, I do understand that "we" have moved on, and we have much more to lose in such a match up, but FUN is FUN !!
I do not get that "feeling" for any other team we play. We are NOT rivals with anyone else? Are we?
We may not be rivals with anyone else, but to me it's the quality of the opponent that matters. Pitt fans don't want to hear this, but they are not a quality opponent and are not likely to be anytime soon. They are not a national power. I would much rather play a team like FSU, or Georgia, or USC, where the game would draw national interest.

Reactions: m48tank
History does NOT prove this. Pitt only won 1 game of the last 8, against one of the worst PSU teams ever. They were 23-7-1 against PSU since 1966. Pitt was only relevant for a few years in the late 70s when they were cheating. The only thing history proves is that Pitt is irrelevant.

I really like how you describe your post (really ignorant post) before you type it. How did the ACC's best fair against Oregon? How did the SEC's best fair against Ohio State? How bad did Ohio State beat Oregon? Go away.

(This is the same Ohio State team that only beat PSU because of "officiating mistakes".)

wow you proved your point... one year the buckeyes win that means the big ten is the best... great argument.. you are so smart.... hopefully one day you will rise above serving biggie fries!

Penn State fans are not happy with our current schedule but we'd rather not add Pitt and make it worse.
laughing-smiley-face.gif

My bad. I should not have responded to a Pitt troll. Here is fair warning to others.....eyebugs

1414152317830-troll_alert.gif

Last edited:
[QUOTE="bxle, post: 280056, member: 10622"]I like the 0 home games to 0 away games format.[/QUOTE]

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

+ a gazillion!

Uh.....no thanks.

Actually....HELL no thanks.

Let Rutgers or the Hoopies figure out how to get Pitt on their schedules.

I grew up midway between State College and Pittsburgh......at a time when the "rivalry" was at its peak (Dorsett/Marino/Warner/Fusina/Majors/Paterno/Sherrill). If ANY FAN would be likely to view that match up as a rivalry, it would be me - because I was at the epicenter for the best 15 years of it........but I would NEVER want to force feed that Pitt program onto PSU's schedule - and CERTAINLY not as some kind of end-of-year rival.

That dog died a generation ago. Even the occasional 2 or 4 game series with Pitt is something I would rather see replaced with ANY DECENT match up with a power five school (VT, WVU, etc.....and there are a TON of great matchups that one would hope to have against truly top-notch programs.....all of them are a better option than Pitt)

so you would prefer not having a rivalry game on the schedule

Rivalry games, just for the sake of having a rivalry game, is overrated. Now, would I rather play Pitt than Temple, or Akron, or Buffalo. Sure. But rival or not, I would rather play USC, Oregon, Texas, LSU....any team with a national reputation in a game that would actually mean something. Pitt is a dead program. I'm not saying that because they're Pitt. I'm saying it because it's true. They are on a path like Duquesne in basketball. At one time the Dukes were a very good program, but now, no matter what they do, they are barely breathing. Their program, baring a miracle, has no hope to ever be meaningful again. Pitt is the same way in football. They have become like Indiana in the BigTen. They will make a decent bowl now and then, and maybe flirt with the top 20 every 10 or 15 years, but they will never again approach their lofty status in the Sherrill era. That is realty. Ardent Pitt fans may deny it, but a good Pitt friend of mine, who holds season tickets for Pitt basketball, and typically attends 3 or 4 football games a year, told me this is how he felt. He went into great detail on the reasons. He sees no hope for football and I agree.

Well if season ticket sales keep dropping? I think you will see this game become frequent, if not annual.

I don't consider Pitt to be a "rivalry" game. Not even close.

Does anyone consider Temple a rivalry game?

Rutgers?

PSU has rivalry games.....OSU......Michigan.....MSU. Hell, Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska are much closer to rivalry games than Pitt is (IMHO)

PSU will have the ability to schedule ONE home-and-home game per year (once the 9 game B1G schedule kicks in). ONE. ONE! I would HATE to waste that on Pitt.

I would hate to waste it on Pitt - not even 2 years out of 8........let alone on an annual basis (which would be a disaster, IMHO).

Now, I should also say that the idea of playing road games against the likes of TEMPLE is absolutely STUPID......and whomever agreed to schedule those contests deserves a swift kick in the NUTZ!!!!!
What PSU should do......what the team and the fans deserve.....is one good, quality home-and-home series against a QUALITY OOC opponent in every two-year cycle (which, along with 2 payday games gives PSU 7 home games per year).

They also should not be subjected to "Indiana State" level payday games. With what this athletic department brings in.....with what the fans pay.....those "payday games" should be the best opponent that can be acquired for $2-3 million (hell, that's probably less than what we pay in "Assistant / Associate / Executive / Kinda-Sorta Athletic Director" salaries in a year)......not the $500,000 per game bargain basement cupcakes like Indiana State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT