ADVERTISEMENT

Football Theo Johnson charged with pair of misdemeanors.

Franklin will issue consequences. Especially due to the fact he learned about it in the paper.
I am going to speculate.

• TJ goes to the party with or without a wristband
  • Frat Bois (FB) asks for the wristband
  • TJ says he had one or never got one
  • FB asks him to leave.
  • TJ, feels he's entitled and doesn't need to leave
  • Other people see so now it has become personal, an embarrassing thing as manhoods are challenged
  • argument breaks out
    • chest to chest
    • fingers to chest
    • a push
    • a swing
    • expensive sunglasses get broken
    • FB suffers a concussion
  • TJ leaves as FBs call the cops
  • FB press charges

The key here is that TJ either didn't buy or forgot his wristband. Rather than address that, he got upset. Egos get in the way. Fist flies. It all comes down to entitlement and a lack of self-control. We've all seen this happen a million times. TJ will probably cop to a minor issue and pay a fine as well as agreeing to complete an anger control class.

Reactions: bison13
I am going to speculate.

• TJ goes to the party with or without a wristband
  • Frat Bois (FB) asks for the wristband
  • TJ says he had one or never got one
  • FB asks him to leave.
  • TJ, feels he's entitled and doesn't need to leave
  • Other people see so now it has become personal, an embarrassing thing as manhoods are challenged
  • argument breaks out
    • chest to chest
    • fingers to chest
    • a push
    • a swing
    • expensive sunglasses get broken
    • FB suffers a concussion
  • TJ leaves as FBs call the cops
  • FB press charges

The key here is that TJ either didn't buy or forgot his wristband. Rather than address that, he got upset. Egos get in the way. Fist flies. It all comes down to entitlement and a lack of self-control. We've all seen this happen a million times. TJ will probably cop to a minor issue and pay a fine as well as agreeing to complete an anger control class.

TJ's bigger issue is probably going to be Civil Suit from FB (who is most likely pressing charges because he's planning on filing a Civil Suit - i.e., TJ is probably going to end up plea-ing to a very minor criminal offense but it's going to screw him in the Civil Suit). End of the day, I really can't see CJF giving him a major-league punishment for this - it's a very minor deal that TJ is going to pay a lot of $$$ for a youthful indiscretion that is quite common in a college environment (i.e., he's going to face significant consequences even if CJF doesn't add to them).

Start coaching up Dinkins and hope he is ready to play. Dog house for Theo for a while is my prediction. Franklin does not want this crap dogging his program.

Reactions: SR108 and bison13
Start coaching up Dinkins and hope he is ready to play. Dog house for Theo for a while is my prediction. Franklin does not want this crap dogging his program.
Agree. I"ll be surprised if he plays against WVa. I can't imagine he gets away with anything less than a one-game suspension. Unless, of course, the story we are being told is complete fantasy. If the frat boy initiated contact, and he has evidence that he was defending himself, he may get away scott free.

Agree. I"ll be surprised if he plays against WVa. I can't imagine he gets away with anything less than a one-game suspension. Unless, of course, the story we are being told is complete fantasy. If the frat boy initiated contact, and he has evidence that he was defending himself, he may get away scott free.
They apparently have video. I think it could be more than one game but I know Franklin will not tolerate this and there are consequences.

I can see them wanting to get Theo out of there if he was causing a disruption of some kind. But he wasn't until the tool frat boy with the too expensive sunglasses forced the issue. Just simply because he doesn't have a wrist band you confront him and want to throw him out? Give me a break dumb as hell frat boy. This is a star football player, just let him hang at the party and give him a wrist band. A cooler party with him there.

Reactions: Obliviax
You are assuming that he was trespassing. Sounds to me that there was ambiguity about whether he was invited or not. It only says he didn't have a wristband. Who knows if someone told him to come by and failed to get him a wristband or even knew that a wristband was going to be necessary in the view of the $560 sunglasses frat kid. Either way, I hope Mr. $560 sunglasses learned a lesson as well.
Entitled frat boy and his frat brothers.

TJ's bigger issue is probably going to be Civil Suit from FB (who is most likely pressing charges because he's planning on filing a Civil Suit - i.e., TJ is probably going to end up plea-ing to a very minor criminal offense but it's going to screw him in the Civil Suit). End of the day, I really can't see CJF giving him a major-league punishment for this - it's a very minor deal that TJ is going to pay a lot of $$$ for a youthful indiscretion that is quite common in a college environment (i.e., he's going to face significant consequences even if CJF doesn't add to them).
Franklin has had good players sit out for offenses we don’t even know about, and not involving police, some up to an entire season. Apparently, Franklin did not know about this till it hit the papers. I will be surprised if it is anything less than four games.

My speculation is at least four games, Possibly more.

Franklin has had good players sit out for offenses we don’t even know about, and not involving police, some up to an entire season. Apparently, Franklin did not know about this till it hit the papers. I will be surprised if it is anything less than four games.
I think you're going to be surprised

My speculation is at least four games, Possibly more.
that would be rough. WVa, Delaware, Illinois, and Iowa.
4f02987f-bbda-4ddd-a8fe-126e6c80c6f6_text.gif

Who is claiming James didn’t know. I knew about this the day after it happened. Many people around the program knew.

Entitled frat boy and his frat brothers.
I am a big PSUFootball fan and I wish the best for all of these kids both at Penn State and in life after. But if you don’t think college football players are pampered, coddled and entitle more than “frat boys”,even at Penn State, you are Kidding yourself.

One of the things I like about Franklin is that he does try to teach his players and hold them accountable. We don’t know the whole story, but I am pretty confident that at some point Theo had the opportunity to walk away from the situation. He should have.

Reactions: Obliviax
Who is claiming James didn’t know. I knew about this the day after it happened. Many people around the program knew.
According to the article the psu sports department claimed they were unaware, just going by what was in the article.

Crap. From the BIG & Beyond doc he seemed like a great kid with an inspirational story. Hopefully this is a “one bad decision” moment where the consequences aren’t too severe and he learns and moves on.

Yeah… $560 sunglasses on a frat boy… nobody deserves to be punched but a headlock & noogie are probably in order.
Throw in a wet willie and we're good!

According to the article the psu sports department claimed they were unaware, just going by what was in the article.
I wonder if "didn't know" really means CJF found out about it via other means than the player. That is to say he got blind-sided; if the article is correct. That is never good. A player in trouble should a) call his parents b) call his attorney c) call his coach.

Amazing how people have jumped to all kinds of conclusions about this incident - suddenly, all of their "conclusions" are facts and TJ isn't entitled to any rights, like telling his side of the story...., whatsoever.....

IIRC, Center County had a rogue DA and a woman in charge of campus justice that looked like John Lithgow. One event was a guy who shot an arrow into the wall of his dorm. One was a player who took a bike out of a dumpster. One was a player on a bike, at night, without a light. Several were when a player's GF was harassed and her phone broken and a bunch of players went to his dorm, broke in and beat them up. There was a spate of claimed "date rapes" that couldn't be substantiated but cost some players playing time.

Good times!
Good Times? Dont think the girls who were allegedly date raped think that way...

Good Times? Dont think the girls who were allegedly date raped think that way...
maybe....depends on if they were really raped or not. If they were, of course. If they were not, that's a different story.

Amazing how people have jumped to all kinds of conclusions about this incident - suddenly, all of their "conclusions" are facts and TJ isn't entitled to any rights, like telling his side of the story...., whatsoever.....
I miss read the article. I admittedly stated I was speculating.

Hardly jumping to a conclusion.

I am a big PSUFootball fan and I wish the best for all of these kids both at Penn State and in life after. But if you don’t think college football players are pampered, coddled and entitle more than “frat boys”,even at Penn State, you are Kidding yourself.

One of the things I like about Franklin is that he does try to teach his players and hold them accountable. We don’t know the whole story, but I am pretty confident that at some point Theo had the opportunity to walk away from the situation. He should have.

Tell me, could the counter-party student have just "walked away from the situation" and "should they have"?

Tell me, could the counter-party student have just "walked away from the situation" and "should they have"?
Well, we don't know the details...who started what and when.

But the frat boy didn't walk away. And if TJ didn't have on a wristband, he needed to leave. In addition, TJ is in a position of privilege and has much more to lose. Finally, in the law, the first one to get physical loses.

right or wong, when you are a celebrity, you get a lot of cool perks and a lot of punks that want to bring you down. TJ just lost a lot. Probably some game time and it will count against him when he goes pro.

I had a good friend of mine who was a highly trained black belt in something (can't recall what the specific name is now). I said something about him being able to fight better. and his response was "no, they taught me to walk away with confidence".

Well, we don't know the details...who started what and when.

But the frat boy didn't walk away. And if TJ didn't have on a wristband, he needed to leave. In addition, TJ is in a position of privilege and has much more to lose. Finally, in the law, the first one to get physical loses.

right or wong, when you are a celebrity, you get a lot of cool perks and a lot of punks that want to bring you down. TJ just lost a lot. Probably some game time and it will count against him when he goes pro.

I had a good friend of mine who was a highly trained black belt in something (can't recall what the specific name is now). I said something about him being able to fight better. and his response was "no, they taught me to walk away with confidence".

We don't know that - went to PSU and went to tons of Frat parties (was a GDI but knew people at virtually every frat). No way TJ gets past the front door if he wasn't on an invitation list - the fact that it appears he was already inside, and had been there for some time, raises questions. Additionally, one Frat Member does not hold all the power as to who can, and can't, be there (that's why they have guest lists). Just because TJ wasn't wearing one of those hospital paper wrist-bands doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't invited or shouldn't have been there.

I am not saying he is not entitled. All the football players are. These frat boys are as well and probably were trying to get their jollies by snubbing the big football player. Didn't work out too well as instead he got a fist to the head from a 6'5" 260 pound dude. I agree Johnson should have walked away. This hurts PSU football.

Reactions: SR108
Why are you assuming he potentially committed a crime?
I'm with you--it's not a big deal but there's no indication at all the frat boy did something wrong here. We know Theo likely did.

Franklin will issue consequences. Especially due to the fact he learned about it in the paper.
I read somewhere, maybe Twitter from a beat reporter, that Theo hadn't been seen a lot in practice and didn't participate in the BW game. I'd imagine Franklin already knew about this and the punishment has already begun. It's not a major deal, I'd think he'll get suspended for a game or two and that will be it.

I am not saying he is not entitled. All the football players are. These frat boys are as well and probably were trying to get their jollies by snubbing the big football player. Didn't work out too well as instead he got a fist to the head from a 6'5" 260 pound dude. I agree Johnson should have walked away. This hurts PSU football.
No kid deserved a concussion at the hands of a semi-pro athlete in this situation. If someone is told to leave then they need to leave. Period.

I read somewhere, maybe Twitter from a beat reporter, that Theo hadn't been seen a lot in practice and didn't participate in the BW game. I'd imagine Franklin already knew about this and the punishment has already begun. It's not a major deal, I'd think he'll get suspended for a game or two and that will be it.
Certainly consequences. Length and severity depends on details of the situation. If the frat boy was simply trying to remove Theo from the party or maybe just asked him for his band and then gets punched then that will be dealt with harshly, maybe 4 games or worse. All season in dog house, significantly less playing time, on and on. If frat boy was a little piss ant who was rude and maybe said something to insult Theo or whatever then not as harsh a punishment. Nevertheless, you can bet Franklin is pissed at how this all went down and Theo is squarely in the dog house. PSU football players can't be going off and clocking frat boys, gotta be smarter.

No kid deserved a concussion at the hands of a semi-pro athlete in this situation. If someone is told to leave then they need to leave. Period.
You don't know the details. Maybe said frat boy provoked Theo. He still never should have punched him. These frat boys ain't choir boys. How many of these deadly hazing incidents have occured by these frat boy punks?

You don't know the details. Maybe said frat boy provoked Theo. He still never should have punched him. These frat boys ain't choir boys. How many of these deadly hazing incidents have occured by these frat boy punks?
To clarify...if provoked it's not assault?
Also, some of these players ain't choir boys and have hazy incidents.

This is definitely a "let it play out" situation. Nobody here, save for one person, knew anything about this prior to the paper releasing the info.

Hurts PSU football? You must be kidding. My bet is that Theo may be the most popular man on campus. If the other party provoked things then they deserved the beat down.

Hurts PSU football? You must be kidding. My bet is that Theo may be the most popular man on campus. If the other party provoked things then they deserved the beat down.

The other one that's rather comical, is PSU is the only P5 program that would be subjected to making a mountain of this molehill by the State College Justice System (happened at an off-campus frat) and the local press. Let's take a look at how Mazi Smith was treated last year by the local scUM/AA authorities and local press after a FELONY ARREST for carrying a concealed weapon illegally - it wasn't even reported by the local press until well after the season was over and some 7 months after the arrest and he was released "on his own recognizance" (no bail) and allowed to travel with the team to an out-of-state away game on the SAME DAY THE INCIDENT HAPPENED for a FELONY CRIME that carried up to a 5 year prison sentence.

If he is suspended and a starter then it hurts our team. What about that do you not understand?

If he is suspended and a starter then it hurts our team. What about that do you not understand?
Is he suspended? I mean, yes, if he's suspended it hurts us (although with our schedule not so much early on) but who says he'll even miss a game. Time will tell.

Reactions: blair10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT