ADVERTISEMENT

The Good News and Bad News of PSU Recruiting...

WWJDLion

May 29, 2001
The good news of PSU recruiting this year...

(1) Currently sit at #19 on the Rivals Team Rankings - so, PSU will likely end up with a class in the top 20, possibly top 25. It looks like we're done, so no chances of moving up.
(2) Overall, a solid class - and the OL recruits appear to be the strength of the class.

Now the bad news....

(1) Obviously, losing a couple of the verbals hurt - especially the DL verbals and Pryts.
(2) Not getting Hamlin and Ferns hurt bigtime - because we lost them to regional schools (Pitt, WVU) and they were both so highly rated.
(3) The biggest bad news is we play in a conference that includes OSU, Michigan, and MSU - all three had much stronger recruiting classes (based on rankings, etc.) - so, we have just fallen further behind those schools. Give who their coaches are and their recent success, that may not be changing anytime soon. We need a few of our 3 stars to end up being 5 star talents...

I'm sure I won't articulate this well, but I'm not sure I agree that we are continuing to fall further behind OSU, UM and MSU. They are recruiting very well, of course and most have their classes ranked ahead of us (not sure of MSU). But, this class will make PSU much better than it was last year and the year before that. (New coaches should also help). With their stellar classes, how much better are OSU and MSU going to be next year? They have both had great runs lately. OSU is bringing in a class of 4 and 5 stars to replace 4 and 5 stars that left for the NFL or that "graduated." I understand we need to keep closing the gap, but I don't think we are going backwards.

(1) Currently sit at #19 on the Rivals Team Rankings - so, PSU will likely end up with a class in the top 20, possibly top 25. It looks like we're done, so no chances of moving up.
(2) Overall, a solid class - and the OL recruits appear to be the strength of the class.

Now the bad news....

(1) Obviously, losing a couple of the verbals hurt - especially the DL verbals and Pryts.
(2) Not getting Hamlin and Ferns hurt bigtime - because we lost them to regional schools (Pitt, WVU) and they were both so highly rated.
(3) The biggest bad news is we play in a conference that includes OSU, Michigan, and MSU - all three had much stronger recruiting classes (based on rankings, etc.) - so, we have just fallen further behind those schools. Give who their coaches are and their recent success, that may not be changing anytime soon. We need a few of our 3 stars to end up being 5 star talents...
MSU is behind PSU in every service that's not rivals. PSU has been stacking up on offensive skill players and really believe their offense will be second to none in two years.

Now the bad news....

On the 247 Team composite rankings, we are 19 and MSU is 21. So how does MSU have a MUCH STRONGER recruiting class?

You and NittanyOpp look like the latest trolls.

You also have to take a look at how much talent these 3 schools lost which is a lot.
Hell I believe Michigan State had about twenty 5th year seniors this past year.

Last edited:
Reminder:

Derrick Williams - all world #1 recruit, wanted by all programs. Has not played in NFL since 2011.

Jordan Norwood- unheralded, unknown, unwanted. Will be playing in Super Bowl this weekend.

Not saying that recruit rankings don't matter but we have a solid, solid group. Our success will rest on Franklin's ability to coach them, develop them and create a game plan to beat some top level programs. Simply put, we lost these big recruits because Franklin has looked poor against good teams. Losing 4 games in a row makes it easy to recruit negatively especially when OSU, MSU and UM had really good seasons. Add the coaching changes and the appearance of instability chased some away. Obviously at one point they wanted to be here. Franklin needs to beat some big boys next year or his rear end goes online. Shut Pitt up, shut OSU or MSU up and we have some talking points. Rigt now, he is all talk thus kids are unsure.

Reactions: JimNazium
I'm sure I won't articulate this well, but I'm not sure I agree that we are continuing to fall further behind OSU, UM and MSU. They are recruiting very well, of course and most have their classes ranked ahead of us (not sure of MSU). But, this class will make PSU much better than it was last year and the year before that. (New coaches should also help). With their stellar classes, how much better are OSU and MSU going to be next year? They have both had great runs lately. OSU is bringing in a class of 4 and 5 stars to replace 4 and 5 stars that left for the NFL or that "graduated." I understand we need to keep closing the gap, but I don't think we are going backwards.

I'd say we are behind them now, and likely will be behind them next year, but the nature of college football is dynamic year to year, and no one really knows what a squad will look like next year. I'm with you. I don't feel we are losing ground, but we really do need to see offensive improvement in the 2016 squad. That will be a huge step. For two years now, scoring seemed nearly impossible. PSU needs to have some game.

Now the bad news....

JUMP!!!!!! And, please, take NittanyOpp with you

Until Myers has another 'heart attack' we are gonna have trouble matching 0$u and their football factory mentality. We have Success With Honor to uphold and they have win at all costs. It's hard to match that with the ethics we have in place. That's just the plain truth.

MSU is behind PSU in every service that's not rivals. PSU has been stacking up on offensive skill players and really believe their offense will be second to none in two years.

Not only is PSU ahead of MSU on most of the services, but according to 247, 4 of MSU's top 6 rated players are WR's. Maybe they really needed wideouts, but I think our class is much more well-rounded. To me it's the clear third best class in the B1G behind OSU and UM

Reactions: N&B4PSU

Now the bad news....

Michigan State did not have a stronger class than Penn State, in fact, Penn State's composite ranking was two places higher: 19th in comparison to 21st.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
This is close to how I view it. It is a small class loaded with top players on par with UM, OSU, and MSU. The difference is that the class doesn't have the depth that the others have. Show improvement on special teams, have a fun offense that puts up points, keep defense on par, beat Temple and PItt, beat the teams expected to beat, and be competitive with an upset against OSU, UM, MSU or Iowa, and recruit like hell. 2017 class hopefully will have much better depth with a class of 28.

This class filled some needs, but it is the next class that is important.

Reactions: sigchip_a_yahoo.com
MSU's classes are never ranked high. And yet...they just win. The Michigan/OSU game this year was anti-climactic because they'd both already lost to MSU, with their inferior rated recruiting classes.

We did just fine, lets not jump off any bridges yet. Sure, we could have got some help at LB, I think we are fine at DB, and got some D line help this week. Kicking game get grat boost. Need the O line to step up. Who would have thought Barkley would be the best frosh RB in the country.

We did just fine, lets not jump off any bridges yet. Sure, we could have got some help at LB, I think we are fine at DB, and got some D line help this week. Kicking game get grat boost. Need the O line to step up. Who would have thought Barkley would be the best frosh RB in the country.

MSU's classes are never ranked high. And yet...they just win. The Michigan/OSU game this year was anti-climactic because they'd both already lost to MSU, with their inferior rated recruiting classes.
Nobody said they were bad classes. If they were ranked around 40 or 50 every year they would have little chance in those games. 21st is a good class.

Last edited:

Now the bad news....

Balderdash and hooey. When you have 5 recruiting services and one is so out of whack with the others....you toss it out. Rivals has become a political shill.

Furthermore 3 star Pryts ....come on. He was replaced by a 3 star db.

As for the DTs.... Franklins juco moves were brilliant. PS where us Mr McLean playing....last years big loss...

CJF needs to improve on the front end....and he will. This class is a top 12 class today and could be a top 5 class in a year or two when the rankings become vaild.

LOI day rankings are BS.....12 and 24 months from.now....the class rankings matter.

Until Myers has another 'heart attack' we are gonna have trouble matching 0$u and their football factory mentality. We have Success With Honor to uphold and they have win at all costs. It's hard to match that with the ethics we have in place. That's just the plain truth.
You are one sorry bitter person...Wow..success with honor now that is rich.
GO BUCKS!

.......and 21 5th year seniors.

Just an observation...

Our class this year is higher rated than 2 of the 4 teams in the playoffs.

From 247 Composite Rankings for 2016:

Code:
PennState #19/20
Oklahoma #20/23
Michigan State #22/21

The sky is NOT falling. However the ball is now squarely in CJF's court to start showing some progress on the field!

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles

Now the bad news....

Think you're wrong about Michigan State's evaluation. I think this class is loaded with some very good players. No team in the Big Ten got a better running back or perhaps an offensive line. We upgraded the kicking game and have some solid players including some juco kids who hopefully can help next season. A QB and a walkon QB with potential. A good tightend prospect that enrolled early with 3 other recruits. Time will tell but there is talent and potential. This class will make us better in 2016 trust me.

Franklin will always recruit well. Rubber meets the road if he can dvlop these guys the way Dantonio develops guys at MSU.

On the 247 Team composite rankings, we are 19 and MSU is 21. So how does MSU have a MUCH STRONGER recruiting class?

Oh here we go, I am a troll, a word so loosely thrown around this board, because I am upset at how Franklin finished the recruiting class. If you did not expect more and and were not disappointed in some way how the class ended I cannot help you. Its a good class like I said, wanted it better. I don't settle in life, you want to win 8 games a year and keep things chummy and be just above average, great. I will never apologize for expecting and wanting greatness and championships.

Reactions: WWJDLion

I cannot stand Sparty or their fan base but its because they develop players. Something we need to start doing better. Its great coaching.

Reminder:

Derrick Williams - all world #1 recruit, wanted by all programs. Has not played in NFL since 2011.

Jordan Norwood- unheralded, unknown, unwanted. Will be playing in Super Bowl this weekend.

Not saying that recruit rankings don't matter but we have a solid, solid group. Our success will rest on Franklin's ability to coach them, develop them and create a game plan to beat some top level programs. Simply put, we lost these big recruits because Franklin has looked poor against good teams. Losing 4 games in a row makes it easy to recruit negatively especially when OSU, MSU and UM had really good seasons. Add the coaching changes and the appearance of instability chased some away. Obviously at one point they wanted to be here. Franklin needs to beat some big boys next year or his rear end goes online. Shut Pitt up, shut OSU or MSU up and we have some talking points. Rigt now, he is all talk thus kids are unsure.

Reminder:

Reminder:

Agree on the NFL development of Norwood vs Williams, but it was the speed and athletic ability if both Williams and King (who played offense) in 2005, that made all the difference in the world that helped that team have a final ranking of #3. Notwithstanding the season ending injury suffered by Williams in the UM game. But, man, did he ever have some speed his freshman year!

I cannot stand Sparty or their fan base but its because they develop players. Something we need to start doing better. Its great coaching.

Nassib, Zettel, AJ, Godwin, Barkley, John Reid.....all were developed and had outstanding years, troll.

Oh here we go, I am a troll, a word so loosely thrown around this board, because I am upset at how Franklin finished the recruiting class. If you did not expect more and and were not disappointed in some way how the class ended I cannot help you. Its a good class like I said, wanted it better. I don't settle in life, you want to win 8 games a year and keep things chummy and be just above average, great. I will never apologize for expecting and wanting greatness and championships.

Franklin inherited 9 scholarship offensive linemen, most of whom were terrible. There is no shortcut to fixing that. That has been the biggest impediment to a better record. The defense has been fine.

Reactions: kgilbert78

Now the bad news....

Do people really think 1 class is a trend or will determine the future? UM had the 40th ranked class just last year with 14 recruits. PSU spanked them just last year in recruiting along with MSU. This idea MSU has out recruited PSU the last 2 years is false. Two years in a row PSU finished above MSU in the composite rankings. Their classes are actually pretty similar to PSU with PSU holding a slight advantage.

If you combine the last 2 classes, UM and PSU have the same exact amount of 4-5 star kids which is 21. That is using 247 which also averages the 4 major sites. Just some food for thought and actual data versus some perception.

Last edited:
Rating recruiting classes is purely subjective. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and most teams recruit based on needs.

I'm a 1982 grad of PSU, so hardly a troll. I'm just not enamored with spending a lot of time on this site and forum - largely due to the type of comments like yours, which is what I've come to expect. People like you, and several others, make this site unbearable for anyone who wants to have an intelligent and objective conversation about PSU football.

If you happen to check the Rivals rankings, of which this site is a part of, MSU is ranked much higher. That is the only list of team rankings I looked at - I'm sorry that I did not take a composite average of every recruiting nerds rankings lists, and therefore hurt your delicate feelings.

You also have to take a look at how much talent these 3 schools lost which is a lot.
Hell I believe Michigan State had about twenty 5th year seniors this past year.
That is true, and OSU is certainly losing a LOT of talent - possibly ten of their players will be taken in the first 2-3 rounds of this year's upcoming draft...

Reminder:

I do agree, the rankings are very subjective - and we all know PSU has had some real "busts" as far as players who were rated very highly, who did precious little at PSU - while walk-ons and 1-2 stars have had great careers and gone on to the NFL. So, rankings don't mean everything - which is why I said, we need some of our 3 stars to end up playing like 5 stars - and that can happen.

Now, to play devil's advocate, we (fans) are all about the rankings when our team sits high in the rankings or we do sign a 4 or 5 star player....so, we all talk out of both sides of our mouths from time to time on this....

I'm a 1982 grad of PSU, so hardly a troll. I'm just not enamored with spending a lot of time on this site and forum - largely due to the type of comments like yours, which is what I've come to expect. People like you, and several others, make this site unbearable for anyone who wants to have an intelligent and objective conversation about PSU football.

If you happen to check the Rivals rankings, of which this site is a part of, MSU is ranked much higher. That is the only list of team rankings I looked at - I'm sorry that I did not take a composite average of every recruiting nerds rankings lists, and therefore hurt your delicate feelings.

3WMtXwc.gif

Really? Is sports, college sports nonetheless, that important to you?

#Spartans Ranked 18 nationally by Scout,22 by 247, 20 by Rivals,21 by ESPN with 21 commits

#PennState Ranked 22 nationally by Scout19 by 247 18 by ESPN,23 by Rivals with 20 commits

Only a troll could claim Michigan State's class is "much better", troll.

What part of my original post even remotely suggested that I was ready to "jump off a bridge" regarding this recruiting class? Are we that sensitive that even the slightest hint at an intended objective analysis is viewed this way?

#Spartans Ranked 18 nationally by Scout,22 by 247, 20 by Rivals,21 by ESPN with 21 commits

#PennState Ranked 22 nationally by Scout19 by 247 18 by ESPN,23 by Rivals with 20 commits

Only a troll could claim Michigan State's class is "much better", troll.

Show him last years as well. Basically the poster made a dumb assumption and then doubled down on it. Only school that has been above PSU both years was Tosu.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Balderdash and hooey. When you have 5 recruiting services and one is so out of whack with the others....you toss it out. Rivals has become a political shill.

Furthermore 3 star Pryts ....come on. He was replaced by a 3 star db.

As for the DTs.... Franklins juco moves were brilliant. PS where us Mr McLean playing....last years big loss...

CJF needs to improve on the front end....and he will. This class is a top 12 class today and could be a top 5 class in a year or two when the rankings become vaild.

LOI day rankings are BS.....12 and 24 months from.now....the class rankings matter.
Hmmm, when Pryts verbaled to PSU, there were many positive posts about him on this site - when he was considering flipping, I saw more than one person express angst - now that he is gone, he was an average player and inconsequential loss. Amazing, but that is the kind of thing that happens in recruiting - funny how that works.

Although I agree that these rankings are pretty meaningless...and obviously not an accurate barameter on how these kids will perform in college football....but, if the rankings didn't mean anything, why are we so thrilled when we are high up on those lists?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT