ADVERTISEMENT

Super 32

BrockBronson

May 20, 2021
This is always one of my favorite ones. Kids come out of the wood work. I remember when Zain one his title down there. This year I think the Harer brother represent D4 well.

I just got to work, time to look at the lists and stuff

I saw one weight class where 2 of the top 5 ranked kids were from Council Rock. But one was from South, the other from North. That may create a bit of a logjam in their league.

Which weight?

I can’t wait to see Sealey work over Locket. I am shocked Luke isn’t going after another belt. Forest has an easy way to the belt. No Blaze, Luke or Rainey. Got through the first four weights. Three of the four have clear cut favorites. Bachman won’t be touched, Munaretto wins in a battle over Seidel, not Kenny. Knox in a league of his own. Castillo won’t be big enough after a two day before weigh in. Forest at 126 with an empty cupboard. That could of been fireworks

Which weight?

I can’t wait to see Sealey work over Locket. I am shocked Luke isn’t going after another belt. Forest has an easy way to the belt. No Blaze, Luke or Rainey. Got through the first four weights. Three of the four have clear cut favorites. Bachman won’t be touched, Munaretto wins in a battle over Seidel, not Kenny. Knox in a league of his own. Castillo won’t be big enough after a two day before weigh in. Forest at 126 with an empty cupboard. That could of been fireworks
126. Mutarelli is at CR South and Sement is at CR North. Also at 126 is Mason Ziegler from Quakertown who is also ranked in the country. If the weights hold into the regular season they would all hit at districts

Reactions: Str8DBLz
126. Mutarelli is at CR South and Sement is at CR North. Also at 126 is Mason Ziegler from Quakertown who is also ranked in the country. If the weights hold into the regular season they would all hit at districts
How is Mutarelli postseason eligible? Once you’re a junior transfer, you have to sit the postseason in PIAA.
See Nick Kunstek last year. Went from prep to hometown school and was still ruled ineligible. Mutarelli is in the same boat with two years at Malvern Prep and now he’s transferring back to his hometown school as a junior.

Sealey appears to be out for Super 32 according to the seeds, hope he is okay.

How is Mutarelli postseason eligible? Once you’re a junior transfer, you have to sit the postseason in PIAA.
See Nick Kunstek last year. Went from prep to hometown school and was still ruled ineligible. Mutarelli is in the same boat with two years at Malvern Prep and now he’s transferring back to his hometown school as a junior.
Mutarelli transferred during his sophomore year which might be part of it. Not sure if he is officially eligible or not though

They're all in the same sectional.
Quakertown and CR North both have duals against CR South.

CR South, North and Quakertown are all at the Beast and ETR.

CR South and Quakertown are at the Hurricane.

CR South and North are in the same league tournament.

All 3 are in the same section, region, etc.

Mutarelli has the possibility of wrestling both Sement and Ziegler up to 7 times each this season.

Won't happen but, interesting as all are ranked in the top 16 in the country right now.

Mutarelli transferred during his sophomore year which might be part of it. Not sure if he is officially eligible or not though
Yes, Mutarelli was attending classes at CR South last year during the 2nd semester. And, yes, they received word before this year started that he would be eligible.

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
That’s fire, Mutarelli, Sement and Zeigler all in the same section is crazy. Welcome to pa wrestling.

I would have thought Sement wins handily but then watched him at the pa power thing. I think this would be a toss up.

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
That’s fire, Mutarelli, Sement and Zeigler all in the same section is crazy. Welcome to pa wrestling.

I would have thought Sement wins handily but then watched him at the pa power thing. I think this would be a toss up.
Mutarelli is 2-0 against Sement in their careers (both freshman year). Sement beat Ziegler last season. As far as I am aware Mutarelli and Ziegler have never hit in competition

Reactions: BrockBronson
I believe I had seen somewhere 3 point takedown at Super 32 for the HS division

Is it full college rules or just the new TD rule? Not sure if I like that. How many refs will be awarding two’s all day until they get used to it.

Perry and Simcox in the same weight. That’s Interesting. I see them both doing well. We could see Pierson Vs Rath again. Round VII

Reactions: LOTOlion
wrestlingfan22 how many guys are going from Faith academy. Your school took a lot to fargo. I know Bachman is making his hs debut. Is Botero and Waters going.
Bachman reminds me of marsteller. I see him having that type of career. Someone said he was thinking about not going to super 32 this year because of all things confidence issues. This is most likely hear say.

wrestlingfan22 how many guys are going from Faith academy. Your school took a lot to fargo. I know Bachman is making his hs debut. Is Botero and Waters going.
Bachman reminds me of marsteller. I see him having that type of career. Someone said he was thinking about not going to super 32 this year because of all things confidence issues. This is most likely hear say.
Other than Bachmanm and I am only going of Willies seeds, Faith would have Stein and Hontz at 150, Sugalski at 160, Waters at 175 and Effenfian at 285. I am sure there are more unseeded though. Waters is apparently a likely scratch according to Willie, but we shall see

Is it full college rules or just the new TD rule? Not sure if I like that. How many refs will be awarding two’s all day until they get used to it.

Perry and Simcox in the same weight. That’s Interesting. I see them both doing well. We could see Pierson Vs Rath again. Round VII
Just 3 point takedown not the new NF rules

Reactions: LOTOlion
Other than Bachmanm and I am only going of Willies seeds, Faith would have Stein and Hontz at 150, Sugalski at 160, Waters at 175 and Effenfian at 285. I am sure there are more unseeded though. Waters is apparently a likely scratch according to Willie, but we shall see
I agree. All those guys will do good. That’s a monster squad. What is wrong with Waters? I hope he is ok. I had him winning the bracket. Is Bachman wrestling. His Hs Debut is going to be epic

What’s up with all these kids not signing up and putting it on the line. Rankings are fun for old heads like us but terrible for the sport. Kids get gun shy

Wrestling needs to use Super 32 to gather data for new rule ideas. Perfect testbed -- large event with high-performing athletes.

I only wish it were before new rules were implemented. But still better than no testing.

Reactions: goldenanimal
I agree with this. Make a few college opens the new rules and then discuss it.

Super 32 is only doing the three for TD and no danger or four NF

Good -- want to only change one variable at a time.

IMO S32 is a better testbed than college opens due to far greater sample size. That's not to exclude opens, to supplement S32 data or to veeify S32 data with college athletes.

Either way, improvement over the current rules-making process:

smelly-monkey-faint.gif

Had a chance to look at 132-157 at work.
The 132 weight is loaded and could be the deepest this year. Three past world team members and two returning champs. No one is beating Davino. He is one of the most explosive wrestlers I watched over the years. Basset won’t back down but don’t think he can stop Davino. I read somewhere he hasn’t lost in 3 years. I am pumped to see what Harer can do.
Perry and Simcox headline this one. There is a cluster of pa guys 6-9. Perry has been spending lots of time in the psu room. I look for a breakout performance.
Pierson is all alone now that Rath went up. He was tired of losing to manville. I am curious on Miller from Mcort. I heard he is very tough. He might be too young for an event like this.
This weight isnt too deep. Rath and Bouzakis could end up in the finals. I like Rath over him. Gaj looked tough until Conner put it on him at pa power.
Sealey! I was so pumped. I think he smokes locket with his motor. Harer will have to do the same. People better not sleep on Cameron Milheim. Asher could also get an early crack at locket.

Reactions: hlstone
The 132 weight is loaded and could be the deepest this year. Three past world team members and two returning champs. No one is beating Davino. He is one of the most explosive wrestlers I watched over the years. Basset won’t back down but don’t think he can stop Davino. I read somewhere he hasn’t lost in 3 years. I am pumped to see what Harer can do.
Perry and Simcox headline this one. There is a cluster of pa guys 6-9. Perry has been spending lots of time in the psu room. I look for a breakout performance.
Pierson is all alone now that Rath went up. He was tired of losing to manville. I am curious on Miller from Mcort. I heard he is very tough. He might be too young for an event like this.
This weight isnt too deep. Rath and Bouzakis could end up in the finals. I like Rath over him. Gaj looked tough until Conner put it on him at pa power.
Sealey! I was so pumped. I think he smokes locket with his motor. Harer will have to do the same. People better not sleep on Cameron Milheim. Asher could also get an early crack at locket.
No Sealey.

Miller is turning 16, not at a huge age deficit to his competition and he will absolutely be a factor in the podium shakeout. Wouldn’t surprise me for Herring to be the highest PA finisher at 138 and for Bo to win it at 132. Plus Jax. So if I’m Nelson Brands, I’m betting on the McCort crew to show 😉

Miller is turning 16, not at a huge age deficit to his competition and he will absolutely be a factor in the podium shakeout. Wouldn’t surprise me for Herring to be the highest PA finisher at 138 and for Bo to win it at 132. Plus Jax. So if I’m Nelson Brands, I’m betting on the McCort crew to show 😉
I could see them doing well. That group puts the work in and might have a full season of matches this preseason.
Don’t know miller that well. No way Herring out places Shaw, Perry & Luke. Harer beat Herring last year at super. If Bo and Davino battle in the finals it would be epic. Two returning champs. I just think Davino is unbeatable in Folkstyle. He has wins over Gibson, McGowan, Forrest, Hilton, Larkin.
Glad Mcort is AAA or going there

Reactions: hlstone
I could see them doing well. That group puts the work in and might have a full season of matches this preseason.
Don’t know miller that well. No way Herring out places Shaw, Perry & Luke. Harer beat Herring last year at super. If Bo and Davino battle in the finals it would be epic. Two returning champs. I just think Davino is unbeatable in Folkstyle. He has wins over Gibson, McGowan, Forrest, Hilton, Larkin.
Glad Mcort is AAA or going there
S32 reshuffles the pecking order each year which makes this event so much fun. I can make a case for 4 different kids to win 106 and 113. 132 is just crazy good.

Next PIAA cycle starts 2024-2025 so for this year at least FCA, McCort & NDGP all AA. Throw in Saucon, Ridge, & Reynolds…dual states will be intense

Miller was 16u Fargo champ. Safe to say he is pretty tough.

Super 32 has lots of big names scratching. There are very few kids who aren’t scared to put it on the line. In college you have to be able to get through a brutal big ten schedule, the big tens and then ncaa. You can’t only wrestle every now and then.

No Correa, Waters, Pierson, Ross, Hilton. They were all listed. I really hoped Duke, Ryder, Lilledhal, Gibson, Sealey were all competing. Easily could of been 5 belts for the Nits

Let’s get it Dalt, Simcox, Sipes, Harer, Little Harer, Rothermel, the Milheim’s, and Wentzel.
M2 should have a great showing

Super 32 has lots of big names scratching. There are very few kids who aren’t scared to put it on the line. In college you have to be able to get through a brutal big ten schedule, the big tens and then ncaa. You can’t only wrestle every now and then.

No Correa, Waters, Pierson, Ross, Hilton. They were all listed. I really hoped Duke, Ryder, Lilledhal, Gibson, Sealey were all competing. Easily could of been 5 belts for the Nits

Let’s get it Dalt, Simcox, Sipes, Harer, Little Harer, Rothermel, the Milheim’s, and Wentzel.
I don't think it's about being afraid of putting it on the line with many of these guys. A couple of things at play here:
  • Early weighins basically make this an event that rewards cutting a bunch of weight. And it's the time of year (weight certs coming up) when lots of guys are doing it. So sometimes you get a week before and you're not quite there with the cut, so you just bag it.
  • It's a grueling event with tons of matches. If you're thing less than 100%, you need to scratch.
  • All the above, plus the normal stuff that comes up - travel, personal, training issues - makes it an event you see more scratches than normal.

I don't think it's about being afraid of putting it on the line with many of these guys. A couple of things at play here:
  • Early weighins basically make this an event that rewards cutting a bunch of weight. And it's the time of year (weight certs coming up) when lots of guys are doing it. So sometimes you get a week before and you're not quite there with the cut, so you just bag it.
  • It's a grueling event with tons of matches. If you're thing less than 100%, you need to scratch.
  • All the above, plus the normal stuff that comes up - travel, personal, training issues - makes it an event you see more scratches than normal.
Also it's a **pre-season** event that does not qualify anybody for national teams. This is precisely the kind of event college wrestlers would skip.

Can't over-emphasize the 2nd bullet. Those brackets are way too big and need to be pared down -- 8 championship rounds (and countless consis) is too many for young developing bodies. At least those who don't enjoy surgeries and rehab.

Waters just had surgery for a torn meniscus

Aren't the consi's shortened periods too?

I can't stand paying for a tournament and they have 2-1-1 or shortened ass periods on the backside. Especially when kids tell me their purpose is "mat time"... We get that lecture a lot. You compete to win. If you're there for "mat time" come get simulation, full-length matches in the room.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT