ADVERTISEMENT

"DT will listen to Iowa's pitch"

Iowa's pitch:

FsLo.gif

There as been a reference to an interview 7 yrs ago where DT said he would "listen to" an offer from Iowa (or I think impliedly) any of the top programs.

On the other hand I am certain I heard one interview (and I think a second occasion) more recent than that, where he specifically said he would not be interested in coaching anywhere other than Penn State.

He has so many things going on, I think it is extremely unlikely he would uproot the family to move to Iowa, or anywhere else.
I expect at some point he may join the staff of NLWC to begin a coaching career.

Btw ... didnt he and Dake just recently indicate some new venture they were beginning?
There's a big gap between "he will listen" and "he is actually interested" and finally "he's taking the job". He'd be stupid not to listen.

If I'm dt they have to change the colors of the uniform. Get rid of it all and start over. I'm thinking purple and silver or something along those lines lmfao.
I’d insist on renaming the school to something with more and stronger consonants. “Penn State” sounds strong. But “Iowa” sounds soft and gooey with all them vowels. 🧐

79a68a57390cf3e678560773f45dfdfd.jpg

The rumor doesn't really make sense when you consider that DT is competing at the Olympic trials in 3 weeks. If he wins, he is competing at the Olympics in July. Even if you hired him, when exactly would he perform his head coach responsibilities if he is training for the Olympics.

Then you get into the economics of it. Iowa would have to spend $4 to $5 million to make the Brands and his assistants go away. They would than have to spend probably $6 to $8 million to bring in DT and his assistants over 4 years. Iowa would be spending $10 to $13 million on coaches for 4 years for wrestling. Wrestling is popular at Iowa, it still loses money.

Then you have the culture, would Gable support this move? I would be willing to bet that he does have influence with big Iowa donors.

Then this still doesn't address the 800 pound gorilla in the room, Cael Sanderson isn't going anywhere for awhile. Iowa could hire DT, spend a crap ton of money on wrestling and still not be winning championships.

Not happening. This could just be a rumor to let Brands know he is on the hot seat and needs to make some changes other than bringing in a Ferrari.

While an interesting point - I have read many posts on GIA accusing DT’s size growth of not being natural - that’s a small percentage of GIA and GIA is a minuscule percentage of the Iowa fan base.
As a Hawk fan, I genuinely appreciate your recognition it is a small percentage of a small percentage that hold idiotic beliefs and make moronic comments about your program. I love the Penn State program (coaches and wrestlers), as well as your fan base. You are the gold standard not just for achievement, but the manner by which you achieve.

I love some of Brand's attributes too. He motivates and inspires me, but it does not appear the program he leads is helping wrestlers get better. If our new athletic director can get DT to come to Iowa, then it would be bittersweet. Bitter in that it we can't get it done with a lifelong Hawkeye, but sweet in that I believe DT could help us eventually narrow the gap with you guys.

I believe all fans want to see every committed wrestler work with coaches who can maximize their potential.

Onward with faith, hope, and love!!!

The rumor doesn't really make sense when you consider that DT is competing at the Olympic trials in 3 weeks. If he wins, he is competing at the Olympics in July. Even if you hired him, when exactly would he perform his head coach responsibilities if he is training for the Olympics.

Then you get into the economics of it. Iowa would have to spend $4 to $5 million to make the Brands and his assistants go away. They would than have to spend probably $6 to $8 million to bring in DT and his assistants over 4 years. Iowa would be spending $10 to $13 million on coaches for 4 years for wrestling. Wrestling is popular at Iowa, it still loses money.

Then you have the culture, would Gable support this move? I would be willing to bet that he does have influence with big Iowa donors.

Then this still doesn't address the 800 pound gorilla in the room, Cael Sanderson isn't going anywhere for awhile. Iowa could hire DT, spend a crap ton of money on wrestling and still not be winning championships.

Not happening. This could just be a rumor to let Brands know he is on the hot seat and needs to make some changes other than bringing in a Ferrari.

I'll break each of these down, one by one.

1. The intent was to speak with him AFTER the olympics. This got leaked because someone wants to give Tom the heads up/make this murky.

2. Iowa has the money. We have "more" than PSU, just choose to spend it the way Tom wants to.

3. Gable? lol. He has no sway in the administration - and more importantly, he wants to win. He and Tom get along well enough, but the job isn't being done and Gable has said that to more than a few people over the years.

4. We hire DT and we're competitive for top 10 recruits. DT is THIS generation's Cael. So while we may not go on a Cael-run, this shiz might actually be competitive. Not to mention that DT is actually going to be able to coach guys at getting better at wrestling.

What about the Askren chatter that has calmed down lately?

Some believe his leaving Flo is connected to a commitment to coach.

If so, is the likelihood is in this order:

Wisconsin
Missouri
Oky State
Iowa?

I'll break each of these down, one by one.

1. The intent was to speak with him AFTER the olympics. This got leaked because someone wants to give Tom the heads up/make this murky.

2. Iowa has the money. We have "more" than PSU, just choose to spend it the way Tom wants to.

3. Gable? lol. He has no sway in the administration - and more importantly, he wants to win. He and Tom get along well enough, but the job isn't being done and Gable has said that to more than a few people over the years.

4. We hire DT and we're competitive for top 10 recruits. DT is THIS generation's Cael. So while we may not go on a Cael-run, this shiz might actually be competitive. Not to mention that DT is actually going to be able to coach guys at getting better at wrestling.
And I can answer this simply. You started this rumor and it wasn’t true. Whether you are a mouth piece from the administration or some insider it was never true. You said he was willing to listen as in it had been discussed. It had not. There is a big difference between we are going to make an effort to get DT as opposed to we reached out to DT and he is willing to listen. Iowa just had a shitty NCAAs and this was just some cover to the fan base of hey look we are really trying guys. Keep throwing your money at a rudderless ship.

Naw. I
This is contrary to every published report since Ira's big donation however many years ago.
To the RTC. Tom has decided that isn't as important as fundraising a new facility and NIL

And I can answer this simply. You started this rumor and it wasn’t true. Whether you are a mouth piece from the administration or some insider it was never true. You said he was willing to listen as in it had been discussed. It had not. There is a big difference between we are going to make an effort to get DT as opposed to we reached out to DT and he is willing to listen. Iowa just had a shitty NCAAs and this was just some cover to the fan base of hey look we are really trying guys. Keep throwing your money at a rudderless ship.

Dude. how does "willing to listen" mean it HAD been discussed? I was very clear that talks had not happened yet, and that the rumor getting out (by Kyven, btw, not me) - might have axed the plan to talk to him at all.

And my "willing to listen" - is from a different source close to DT. And that was from midseason.

Wisconsin
Missouri
Oky State
Iowa?

OKST would be 3rd most likely to hire Askren? Didn't they just last year hire Coleman Scott away from North Carolina to be Smith's designated successor?

Wisconsin
Missouri
Oky State
Iowa?

Fellers on Stalemates essentially intimated that Max Askren is going to get Wiscy's job.

I can tell you unequivocally that this rumor can be put to bed, first hand. There is some hilarity behind the scenes that this even became a "rumor." Hopefully Iowa gets it together again, but I can assure you this won't be the way that it occurs.
Thank you!! I can leave this tread forever now!

Reactions: mcpat
I can tell you unequivocally that this rumor can be put to bed, first hand. There is some hilarity behind the scenes that this even became a "rumor." Hopefully Iowa gets it together again, but I can assure you this won't be the way that it occurs.

Now you’ve done it. Crushed the DT hope as some of the Iowa fans were just arriving to the party. ;)

Imagine this. Iowa hires DT and he heads to Iowa. He's there 6-8 years, has success in bringing better wrestlers into IC, has some National champs, and puts a stranglehold on 2nd place. He comes close to PSU a few times and gets the excitement rolling with the Hawks. Then the announcement that he's returning to State College to take over the franchise and rips the guts out of Hawkeye Nation again to become more hated than Cael.

Imagine this. Iowa hires DT and he heads to Iowa. He's there 6-8 years, has success in bringing better wrestlers into IC, has some National champs, and puts a stranglehold on 2nd place. He comes close to PSU a few times and gets the excitement rolling with the Hawks. Then the announcement that he's returning to State College to take over the franchise and rips the guts out of Hawkeye Nation again to become more hated than Cael.
hoganheelturngif.gif

As a Hawk fan, I genuinely appreciate your recognition it is a small percentage of a small percentage that hold idiotic beliefs and make moronic comments about your program. I love the Penn State program (coaches and wrestlers), as well as your fan base. You are the gold standard not just for achievement, but the manner by which you achieve.

I love some of Brand's attributes too. He motivates and inspires me, but it does not appear the program he leads is helping wrestlers get better. If our new athletic director can get DT to come to Iowa, then it would be bittersweet. Bitter in that it we can't get it done with a lifelong Hawkeye, but sweet in that I believe DT could help us eventually narrow the gap with you guys.

I believe all fans want to see every committed wrestler work with coaches who can maximize their potential.

Onward with faith, hope, and love!!!

I'm tagging you @johnstownsteel as NN Foreign Aid Minister. It appears we have another rational and reasonable Hawk fan whose sacrilegious comments above will likely result in GIA expulsion. He will surely need asylum here to shelter from the coming storm.

For right now, I’m just glad I don’t have to fear DT going to Iowa. That M2 pipeline is really paying off and I’d like it to stay.

Tonight, after a few white claws, I’ll figure out who I’m upset with for making me worry about it. :)

For right now, I’m just glad I don’t have to fear DT going to Iowa. That M2 pipeline is really paying off and I’d like it to stay.

Tonight, after a few white claws, I’ll figure out who I’m upset with for making me worry about it. :)
What is this White Claw sh!t you guys keep talking about?

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
so that is how you drink it, or is this a frat way of doing things. She seems maniacal. I think I used to date her.
It’s a board joke. There was a match thread a year or two ago and folks were posting what they were drinking and some lightweight posted he was drinking a White Claw. We made him turn in his man card.

I always thought Kolat would be a good fit at Iowa. Old school hard-nosed cred, but he sees how things are evolving.
Also has a recruiting line straight to Pa. All of us with kids, who watched Kolat when we were kids idolized this guy. When Kolat walks into a house in Pa, people listen. Navy isn’t an easy school to recruit and Campbell just didn’t have the assets anyone else has. And he’s still been successful. Kolat also coaches with Mike Evans, who is from Pa, wrestled at Blaire Academy and for Iowa. So he has ties to 3 states. I think with a top former PSU and or Wisconsin (AWA) tie, they are perfect in Iowa. Just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT