ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Lavar chimes in on the situation

Wow...Lavar says Penn State "is not Michigan or Ohio State," doesn't have the resources to compete, and it's so difficult to recruit kids to Penn State even in good times.

There you have it folks. You should not have expectations of ever winning anything if you are a Penn State fan. I feel so much better now. I just needed to adjust my expectations. We are Iowa.

Yeah like what would LaVar know about football compared to the “experts” on this board?
He probably knows a lot, but he's suited up football equipment for Franklin as much as I have. I don't need to be a former penn state football player to know his responses about penn state were asinine. His point about Michigan and OSU not being our rival were stupid, we need to beat them. Brady Quinn otoh offered some smart insight, insight that couldn't just be synthesized down to "10-2 is pretty dang good." To Quinn's point, we'll see if penn state is still that plucky team just a sneeze away from the top Big Ten teams once the conference realigns next year.

Reactions: blair10
Wow...Lavar says Penn State "is not Michigan or Ohio State," doesn't have the resources to compete, and it's so difficult to recruit kids to Penn State even in good times.

There you have it folks. You should not have expectations of ever winning anything if you are a Penn State fan. I feel so much better now. I just needed to adjust my expectations. We are Iowa.
I think his point was, given what PSu has had to go through in the last 15 years, the deck is stacked against us.

• scholarship sanctions
  • Revenue
  • Brand
  • funding of the program

• bastardizing schedules by reserving tOSU/UM for the last game of the year
  • Bastarding the B1G's sub-conferences with complete imbalance
  • Making PSU start the B1G season on the road for 12 out of the last 13 years
then you look at tOSU and UM at the same time, they were allowed to increase funding, tinker with coaches and recruit. Do you think recruits looked at Tressel cheating and thought "I don't want to go there because they cheat" or "wow, they are great at funneling money to kids that are not supposed to be paid." Now add in Urban Meyer and the current cheating going on at UM? Plus, the B1G has shown that they prefer you go to UM or tOSU by damaging other programs with horrible scheduling

Reactions: bison13
  • I agree 100% that the offense has no flow, no misdirection plays. That's on the coaches.
  • I disagree about the scandal/sanctions. That was a thing but now we're more than a decade past it. That's irrelevant at this point.
  • I also disagree with Arrington about resources. Of course I don't know PSU football budget vas OSU & UM football budget but I know O'Brien got Lasch upgraded and we're doing it again. Same with the stadium which is in the beginning of a $700 million update. And our head coach salary. I read that Day makes $10.5m, Franklin $8.5m, and Harbaugh $8.2m.
  • I don't know how our NIL compares but we lost because of the offense that includes a lot of top rated players (Allar, Singleton, Saunders, Shelton). You can't really go back prior to that class because NIL wasn't a thing. Of course we haven't recruited like OSU but we've been on par with UM so I don't think you can blame NIL.

You can blame the coaches for Allar's development and the failure to land top WRs (Flemming) other than Saunders & Ivey who haven't made an impact to this point.

Reactions: 91Joe95

JoePa told you that YEARS ago.

10-2 would be solid if we actually had a hard schedule. But we play a bunch of bad teams and lose to the 2 good teams on our schedule. Shouldn't be satisfied with that.

Lavar should go back to school and get his degree.

I think his point was, given what PSu has had to go through in the last 15 years, the deck is stacked against us.

• scholarship sanctions
  • Revenue
  • Brand
  • funding of the program

• Making PSU start the B1G season on the road for 12 out of the last 13 years
then you look at tOSU and UM at the same time, they were allowed to increase funding, tinker with coaches and recruit. Do you think recruits looked at Tressel cheating and thought "I don't want to go there because they cheat" or "wow, they are great at funneling money to kids that are not supposed to be paid." Now add in Urban Meyer and the current cheating going on at UM? Plus, the B1G has shown that they prefer you go to UM or tOSU by damaging other programs with horrible scheduling
If I heard him correctly, hesaid it's impossible to recruit kids to PSU in good times - when you don't have a scandal and sanctions

I'll just say this...if 2nd tier is all PSU should hope to be, why are we paying a coach a tier 1 salary? Why do fans shell out thousands upon thousands for NLC points, tickets, hotels, RVs, etc etc etc? Let's accept our rightful place and pay a coach what NW does... hell $4M buys a lot more in centre county than it does in Chicago.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and psuno1
All time JoePa was 15-23 vs OSU and UM (dose not count 2010 OSU win that was vacated) that is way better than 4-16 vs OSU and UM. Heck a couple of bogus calls vs both teams and JoePa could have been close to 500 vs OSU and UM.

Last edited:
Reactions: RochLion
First point has no effect on PSU. I don't get the second point either. The B1GCCG is a freebee for the East winner. If OSU and/or UM were in the West you'd still have to go through the better of the two to win the conference.

First point has no effect on PSU. I don't get the second point either. The B1GCCG is a freebee for the East winner. If OSU and/or UM were in the West you'd still have to go through the better of the two to win the conference.
Nope...not true at all. By sticking UM and tOSU last every year, they had to put PSU in the middle of the season. They didn't want a premier B1G game to be early in the year as those are reserved for good OOC games (ND, TX, Auburn, WVu). So PSU ends up playing UM and tOSU in close proximity toward the middle of the year.

The second point is that the two divisions need to be balanced so that recruiting and scheduling is more balanced. Now, PSU, clearly the third best team, has almost no shot at making the playoffs. If PSU was 10-1 going into the B1G championship game against UM, we'd be randed in the top five nationally. A tough loss in a playoff game isn't going to negatively affect, as much, as one in the middle of the year would. Basically, it continues to set up the UM/tOSU game as the premier game with two highly ranked teams.

Lastly, special consideration is seen and noted by everyone. If you are a five star kid with NFL aspirations, do you take a position with the teams that the B1G is featuring or the one that the B1G is clearly considered third? Don't forget, PSU has started our B1G season ON THE ROAD in 12 of the last 13 seasons.

All time JoePa was 15-23 vs OSU and UM (dose not count 2010 OSU win that was vacated) that is way better than 4-16 vs OSU and UM. Heck a couple of bogus calls vs both teams and JoePa could have been close to 500 vs OSU and UM.
Exactly. Anyone who remembers the 90s remembers the officiating in the scum and OSU games. The boys from Ann Arbor had those games in the bag. I've never seen such biased, horrendous officiating.

He's a Franklin apologist, he'd do well here.
And his stupid comment about Joe not beating scum or OSU. Give me a break lavar. He must forget the 10 point lead Penn State had in 99 that he couldn't hold, or at least hold as well as scum did of him.
Lavar should remember the fanbase and stadium and everything else was built by His former coach - not Franklin.
I root for James but please stop comparing Franklin to Joe. It's laughable.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and psuno1
pretty good discussion. I am a little disappointed they didn't point out the real issue with the B1G and that is that tOSU and UM have gotten preferential treatment for decades. Even before PSU came into the conference. And everyone sees it. Everyone knows it. Yet, for some reason, nobody wants to talk about it.
Watched urbs talking about the mich PSU game.He was extremely complimentary about PSU.Among other things he said that it’s a great for recruiting etc

Watched urbs talking about the mich PSU game.He was extremely complimentary about PSU.Among other things he said that it’s a great for recruiting etc
spoken like a real tOSU homer. LOL I am sure beating the pants off of PSU is great for Ohio State, especially in landing those blue-chip PA high school kids.

Reactions: brupsu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT