ADVERTISEMENT

Shots fired by crybaby Manning

I don’t want to call Willie out or anything, but I think his first post in this thread called us cry-babies and said our posts were lacking reality. Then he posted a podcast claiming a half-dozen times that Carter hadn’t earned a conference allocation when he had.
i made a mistake, pal. which i acknowledged on here.

i'll see myself out now, since the guys posting currently are full scale douchebags with Mark Manning Diaper Rash.

to recap one point, since you are our best recruiter.... Carter taking an 0-2 record from the bigten is participating in it? or are you saying he shouldn't be able to wrestle ncaa's now?

i don't care. i truly don't care.

you should have to wrestle at conferences to make ncaa's.

in no other sport do you get a bye through what is literally called a 'qualifier'.

it's an abomination and a ruse.
I have no problem with your take in the process at all. I might even agree—not sure. Still don’t like Mark’s “gamesmanship” tack. He can do better.

i'll see myself out now, since the guys posting currently are full scale douchebags with Mark Manning Diaper Rash.
There it is. Willie always gets mad and goes for the throat. Like clockwork

Awesome thread!

In regards to a player not playing in conference championships then playing in championship game, happens all the time in sports. Wrestling just magnifies it being an individual sport. This will not change. Even manning would do the same for say, Lovett if roles reversed. All coaches will keep a injured player out if it bettered his chance to compete at a higher level come championship time.

Reactions: PSU Fan in TN
it would actually matter more.

BC conference allocations would matter more.

Michael Blockhus just mailed it in, in case you missed it. b/c he knew he'd get a wild card.

Brayton Lee didn't, because he knew he wouldn't.

in this way, both the regular season and conference tournament matters more.
But for a wrestler like Carter, it doesn’t matter if the conference only gets one allocation. He could sit all season, show up for BIGs, and take the spot. Don’t the allocations only matter (significantly) to those wrestlers on the bubble? Again, not arguing, truly trying to understand your position .

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
i made a mistake, pal. which i acknowledged on here.

Yep, you made a mistake yet you won't fix the error. Most won't see that you acknowledged the mistake and will believe the podcast. The solution is simple but I guess way too "dramatic" for you. smh

Reactions: PSUbluTX
idk if you're being serious but i have discussed this very topic about six straight years following conferences.

if you think it's about Carter Starocci, you must be new or something.
That’s fair, honestly didn’t know.

But for a wrestler like Carter, it doesn’t matter if the conference only gets one allocation. He could sit all season, show up for BIGs, and take the spot. Don’t the allocations only matter (significantly) to those wrestlers on the bubble? Again, not arguing, truly trying to understand your position .
Right. Same w/ Kyle Snyder that year he came back mid second semester.

it matters more for mid-tier and bubble guys. who, theoretically, would wrestle more/ff less meaningful matches.

i don't care. i truly don't care.

you should have to wrestle at conferences to make ncaa's.

in no other sport do you get a bye through what is literally called a 'qualifier'.

it's an abomination and a ruse.
I don’t mind your premise, I think I agree in fact.

I just don’t think we got here because of your opinion on it. And I think you’re doing some of Manning’s lifting to save face by making the convo about x when he complained about y.

idk if you're being serious but i have discussed this very topic about six straight years following conferences.

@smalls103 O.k., I do see your point. However, if you say that you have to "wrestle" in your conference, how do you define that. Let's say that is the rule that is in place, which stops the 1 second medical forfeit. What to stop a coach to have his kid go our there, move around for 15-30 seconds and then at the first action, feign an injury and forfeit out (because he doesn't want him to continue wrestling, as it could further injure the wrestler prior to Nationals). I just feel like whatever rule is in place can still be worked around. Again, I do get your point.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Stupid tweet regarding something from 7 years ago. Next thing Manning will post that Cael called him a booger 20 years ago.

Suriano earned the spot. Because of that, he and PSU had the right to go up to the last minute to determine if he could wrestle. A few years ago, Mekhi Lewis entered the 2021 NCAA tournament with a major shoulder injury, he did a Carter at the ACC's. He lasted two matches at NCAA's. Most likely the VT coaches knew there was a real good chance that Lewis would not hold up. His exiting the tournament early because of his shoulder basically blew up the bracket.

What is the real difference between Suriano and Lewis?

Reactions: goldenanimal

Truth be told, I think many of us bitch about the process every year. I know a couple years ago I was pissed Creighton Edsell got screwed out of an at large bid..

@smalls103 O.k., I do see your point. However, if you say that you have to "wrestle" in your conference, how do you define that. Let's say that is the rule that is in place, which stops the 1 second medical forfeit. What to stop a coach to have his kid go our there, move around for 15-30 seconds and then at the first action, feign an injury and forfeit out (because he doesn't want him to continue wrestling, as it could further injure the wrestler prior to Nationals). I just feel like whatever rule is in place can still be worked around. Again, I do get your point.
I haven’t engaged in the “process” part of the argument yet, but hypothetically, if a wrestler is 30-0 during the regular season and contracts the norovirus (stomach flu) on Saturday morning of Big10’s, would Willie’s proposed rule change require him to wrestle anyway, in order to qualify for NCAA’s?

Reactions: goldenanimal
I haven’t engaged in the “process” part of the argument yet, but hypothetically, if a wrestler is 30-0 during the regular season and contracts the norovirus (stomach flu) on Saturday morning of Big10’s, would Willie’s proposed rule change require him to wrestle anyway, in order to qualify for NCAA’s?
Alternate idea: Ferrari's Son of Midlands performance happens at B10s. His flagrant DQ means he's not qualified for NCAAs, and there are no at larges.

Reactions: donboy6499
here's the thing about guys like you:

you've never talked to Manning in your life.

it was a bad/dumb tweet by a guy whose passion is seeing his guys achieve things.

but by all means, blow it out of proportion.
Someone with Manning's phone number should have called him and talked him into taking the tweet down. Or, better yet, talked him into tweeting again, admitting he was wrong.

perhaps that is the case,

but i will never

ever ever ever,

be in favor of a system where you don't have to wrestle at conferences and still qualify for ncaa's.

if you think that all of a sudden makes me a PSU hater, well, think what you want.
Ok, I listened to the podcast. I see your point, and I don’t really disagree with your reasoning at all, so if they went to that system where everything is allocated, I wouldn’t be upset. I do disagree a little with how assertive you are that that is absolutely the right answer. In the current system, a committee picks the final couple people who get in. In general, adding a human element will ensure the best 33 are in, whereas a strict allocation will allow some people at the fringes who are clearly not better than the ones left out, and there’s nothing that could be done about it. I understand your argument that that’s too bad, that’s life, but there will be an egregious example someday where people would then say “why can’t we have someone intervene to correct that?”, so I’m not as convinced as you are that there is a clearly correct method.

In the current system, we end up with Manning and other coaches of bubble guys who missed out trying to advocate for their guys to get in, which is fine, but the reality in the bigger picture is that they are all arguing about which 0-2 BBQ 30 seeds get to live out their dream of just going to the championship and experiencing it. There is very little chance any of this will affect the final outcome of the tournament in any meaningful way.

yes, i said it was stupid about 5 times in this thread and on the podcast in which i also said 'who gives a rip aobut Bubba Wilson's case'.

this is not about manning, or carter or Cael; it's about process.
I don't understand your wish of the conference tournament being used as the qualifier for Nationals. If a kid is truly dinged up and chooses not to compete 10 days before, why force him to compete to qualify. I have no issue in giving a low seed (No higher than 8??) to someone that opted out of conference tournament. You're treating the process like a High School State tournament. It's not the same. I personally would want to see the best 33 wrestlers. I'm not worried about number 34. I truly think the 33rd kid should be the Division 2 National Champ.
I look at Nationals as being the showcase of the best. It's separate of the other tournaments. I don't have issue if a kid doesn't wrestle in conference tournament. Just create a tougher bracket for that individual.

ron burgundy GIF

I don't understand your wish of the conference tournament being used as the qualifier for Nationals. If a kid is truly dinged up and chooses not to compete 10 days before, why force him to compete to qualify. I have no issue in giving a low seed (No higher than 8??) to someone that opted out of conference tournament. You're treating the process like a High School State tournament. It's not the same. I personally would want to see the best 33 wrestlers. I'm not worried about number 34. I truly think the 33rd kid should be the Division 2 National Champ.
I look at Nationals as being the showcase of the best. It's separate of the other tournaments. I don't have issue if a kid doesn't wrestle in conference tournament. Just create a tougher bracket for that individual.
How about the pigtail match be the D2 champ vs the D3 champ? That would be pretty cool. Wrestle each other then get a shot at the #1. What small school kid wouldn’t love a chance like that?

This could backfire on Manning with recruiting. I’m guessing most of the guys considering Nebraska have Penn State at or near the top of their list. The kids, or at least their parents, might not like the tweet, especially with Bo, Mark and Matt immediately saying it didn’t go down that way.

This could backfire on Manning with recruiting. I’m guessing most of the guys considering Nebraska have Penn State at or near the top of their list. The kids, or at least their parents, might not like the tweet, especially with Bo, Mark and Matt immediately saying it didn’t go down that way.
I always thought Nick's beef with PSU, and the reason he gave to escape, was that he was not rehabbed correctly. Am I misremembering?

I always thought Nick's beef with PSU, and the reason he gave to escape, was that he was not rehabbed correctly. Am I misremembering?
It’s always been a mystery to me. But I recall reading posts in this forum from folks that attended socials and banquets that Nick seemed like a keep to himself person. I wonder if it was just a bad fit. Pure speculation, but some wrestlers aren’t into the grateful/spiritual vibe.

Recently, Cael said on the Penn St coaches’ show that convincing a recruit to come to Penn St that is unsure about it usually doesn’t work out. I wondered if he was thinking of Nick when he said that.

Regardless, Nick went on to win a couple of titles, including one for his home state school, and (I assume) got his NIL money at another. Things worked out for him. We’ve had a bit of a void at 125, but it hasn’t hurt the team much and now we have the 1-seed at the weight.

It’s always been a mystery to me. But I recall reading posts in this forum from folks that attended socials and banquets that Nick seemed like a keep to himself person. I wonder if it was just a bad fit. Pure speculation, but some wrestlers aren’t into the grateful/spiritual vibe.

Recently, Cael said on the Penn St coaches’ show that convincing a recruit to come to Penn St that is unsure about it usually doesn’t work out. I wondered if he was thinking of Nick when he said that.

Regardless, Nick went on to win a couple of titles, including one for his home state school, and (I assume) got his NIL money at another. Things worked out for him. We’ve had a bit of a void at 125, but it hasn’t hurt the team much and now we have the 1-seed at the weight.
I don't know how injured his ankle was, but if it was broken, he was never going to be healed enough in 4-5 weeks regardless of the treatment regimen. So maybe a case of unmet and unreasonable expectations that led to the falling out. I can see him preparing for nationals up to the last second hoping to turn the corner with his ankle, and that's why so many wrestlers are disputing Manning. It wasn't gamesmanship. It was giving a guy every opportunity to wrestle. Anyway, it's all ancient history and everyone survived.

You realize this thread isn’t about the “process.” The process here isn’t in question.

This is about a head coach blatantly throwing out accusations of “gamesmanship” against PSU. If that’s what he believes, he should have kept it to himself. But to put it out in public, he should have had his facts straight. OR be a bigger man and apologize for throwing out his assumption as facts
Not only that, he cited two other people as sources in his incredibly stupid tweet. So he involved others as well. It was way below the belt without an ounce of truth. Furthermore, I keep hearing this bs "passion" for his wrestlers. That wasn't about passion, it was about pettiness.

it was a dumb tweet by manning, but he's a good dude.

yes, i said it was a stupid tweet/take like 10 times.

yes, i said it was stupid about 5 times in this thread and on the podcast….

So this begs the question of whether Manning’s tweet was stupid because (1) it was factually inaccurate and should never have been made, or because (2) it was true but just bad form to make it publicly.

Given that several credible eyewitness sources (eg, Cutch, Mark, Bo) say it’s option #1, it seems commonsensical that a “good dude” would have the integrity to publicly correct his very public error.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT