ADVERTISEMENT

Scott says Superior court denied PSU & Pepper Hamiltons appeal

The public, media, and NCAA wanted blood. Public opinion already convicted everyone and PSU plead guilty from the beginning. PSU wanted this in the rear view mirror as quickly as possibly. The only way to do that was to give the public, media, and NCAA what they wanted.
Nutshell.

Reactions: Ski and Zenophile
The public, media, and NCAA wanted blood. Public opinion already convicted everyone and PSU plead guilty from the beginning. PSU wanted this in the rear view mirror as quickly as possibly. The only way to do that was to give the public, media, and NCAA what they wanted.

No, they could have defended us. Their tactic failed. Now there's the devil to pay. It's all about protecting people and hiding things.

Reactions: Ski
No, they could have defended us. Their tactic failed. Now there's the devil to pay. It's all about protecting people and hiding things.
No doubt it failed. Nevertheless, Lundy's contention that, "PSU wanted this in the rear view mirror as quickly as possibly" is spot on and, as a result, they bet on the wrong horse.

Reactions: Ski and Zenophile
My humble opinion is this is exactly what they wanted. At this level, the second mile isn't even a glance anymore. My gut still says that they had way to many ties to the second mile. They kept feeding the narrative hook line and sinker that this was only a University affair. Once they moved it to this side of the fence, they could control most all of it and eventually it would get blown over. Karen Pete said as much. I can only imagine what ever they knew about on the second mile's side of the fence must have been pretty bad. If this battle was being fought on the other side of the fence (SM), there is no way they could control and counter for as long as this has been going on.

I don't know what the plan is, but I sure hope Wick can get Erickson, Peetz, Frazier, Surma, Lubert and some of the other more vocal board members on the witness stand. But mostly I want Lying Louie to sweat under oath and be exposed for the fraud he is.

Reactions: Ski and jjsocrates
Exactly....and we know that at least one NCAA big wig (Ed Ray) didn't even bother himself enough to read the FR before voting on the CD. Talk about lack of institutional control and due diligence!

Also, we know from the Corman and Paterno lawsuits that the NCAA has been siding WITH PSU in court to prevent the release of emails and other discovery material re: Freeh's report and "investigation" so to me that says the NCAA is tied with the OG BOT at the hip and is fully aware of what really happened....otherwise they wouldn't be fighting the release of information, they'd be advocating for it if they felt the PSU BOT duped them somehow re: FR.

At some point the NCAA, OG BOT, and Freeh are all going to start pointing fingers at each other and it's going to get real interesting who's left holding the flaming bag of dog poop...my guess is the OG BOT since they are the ones who hired/indemnified freeh but the NCAA will still get theirs since they didn't even do any due diligence at all from their end.

Does anyone really think the NCAA is going to get away with saying "but but.. the PSU BOT told us the FR was legit so we didn't do any due diligence on our end"? I don't think so. The NCAA gets handed "internal" reports from schools all the time. The NCAA can't just take all these reports at face value as the schools may be lying about or try to obfuscate certain things. The NCAA needs to read the school's report then do their own damned due diligence to see if further investigation/inquiry is needed and they did none of those things re: PSU and the FR.

Well, and the there's that rather significant FACT that PSU never gave the NCAA the Freeh Report to use as you describe! There are only 2 ways that the NCAA can open an "Infractions Case": i) Based on the results of their own investigation -- IOW, the NCAA lays out their findings regarding alleged infractions, proposed sanctions, etc... The member institution has the due process right of being informed of these findings and can select to either accept them or request a series of NCAA hearings; OR ii) the member institution "self-reports" an infraction and proposed remedy (e.g., sanction) along with the member's internal investigation report regading the circumstances and conditions that led to the infractions being reported.

You are trying to insinuate that the Freeh Report was given to the NCAA by PSU under the 2nd of the two infractions processes that exist (e.g., self-reported infractions process). This is false on its face as PSU NEVER reported the following as an NCAA Infraction within the football program: Jerry Sandusky being arrested 12 years after his retirement for molesting children within his child-dedicated charity which was set up for fraudulent purposes by Sandusky & his co-cospirators, if any. Clearly, the NCAA is the party alleging this is an NCAA Matter and more specifically an NCAA Rules Violation by the PSU Football program under process the first NCAA Infractions Process described above (the one requiring that the member institution be given a full report of the NCAA's allegations, proposed sanctions and due process). PSU did not self-report any infraction to the NCAA - it is the NCAA claiming an infraction was committed, so please stop with the nonsense that PSU gave the Freeh report to be used in the fashion the NCAA is using it because it simply is not so....in other words it is a lie and completely untrue as members of Freeh's own team have stated. Nobody told the NCAA to use the report in this fashion, nor was it intended for such a purpose. The NCAA used it in this fashion against their own policies, procedures and by-laws of their own free will and therefore are fully accountable for subsequent consequences of their foolhardy and intentional actions.

Reactions: baircub1!
Clearly... The Paterno Camp will not give up
If people don't think the Paterno team doesn't know what's in those documents, you're nuts. They also have people who were interviewed talking to them. They haven't made mistakes like Louis, the NCAA and the OGBOT.
I agree...you have to figure that as long as The Paterno's have had such a long history and standing in State College and at Penn State...they would have people "in the know" that at least would be sharing info on what's in the files...its a small town...

I'm more interested to see how Lubrano and Doren will now behave since being elevated to the executive committee. It will be interesting to see if they do an about face by fighting the release of documents at every turn or still continue to place the university in legal harm's way by looking to make public all of FSS's work product. If the latter, then they should be removed for not living up to their fiduciary obligation of protecting the university.

This is an absolutely fascinating point of view. The bolded part above is real close to an open admission that there are serious problems with FSS's work product; otherwise, the university would be exposed to no legal harm whatsoever if all of FSS's work product is on the up-and-up. So, basically in your not so humble opinion the trustees are failing their fiduciary duty to the university if they refuse to aid in the cover-up the university's legal malfeasance and should be removed. It's an interesting insight into your world view and that of those like you; it's not committing the crime that is the shameful act, it's getting caught and being exposed that is shameful.

I didn't put much stock in it a while back. But, it seems more likely that Freeh has rubbed former investigators the wrong way and that they (seems to be three) have offered their services. This would not be unlike what agents felt about LF (arrogant, know it all, who didn't want to hear bad news) when he was FBI Chief.

Freeh relied heavily on retired investigators and prosecutors to perform his "investigation", some of whom place a very high value on their own integrity and personal and professional reputations and didn't take too kindly to being used to conduct a private smear campaign. As for a Snowden....no comment. I'll just say there are some other juicy backstories running around that will just have to wait until this mess is all over before they can be told.

Based on what you posted, couldn't the NCAA sue Freeh for false and misleading information that lead to their punishment of JoePa?

I don't believe the NCAA has incurred financial loss (yet) from anything in the Freeh report. Plus the NCAA chose to ignore its own internal rules by not conducting its own investigation. Not a lawyer, but I can't see much traction for such a lawsuit.

Reactions: Ski and simons96

If I were the betting sort, I'd bet the Big Ten wanted this in the rear view mirror as quickly as possibly as well.

Reactions: jjsocrates

Anybody remember that pet phrase of theirs??? "Just move on"

Yeah, how is that working out???? Ha!!!

Reactions: Ski
If I were the betting sort, I'd bet the Big Ten wanted this in the rear view mirror as quickly as possibly as well.
Putting the incident and scandal in the rear view mirror in and of itself would not have been a bad plan. The fatal mistake was when the arrogant misanthropes decided to take a huge steaming pile of sh^t on Joe before they pulled away. They just could't resist and it will cost them dearly.

Reactions: Ski and simons96
Putting the incident and scandal in the rear view mirror in and of itself would not have been a bad plan. The fatal mistake was when the arrogant misanthropes decided to take a huge steaming pile of sh^t on Joe before they pulled away. They just could't resist and it will cost them dearly.

I said from Day 1 . . . you cannot brag about being on the BoT of a flagship institute of higher learning, then:

a) throw the guy who helped build it under the bus

b) treat the alumni like we're the uneducated masses

Except it didn't work. Well, that and the fact we've had some actual experts state they did exactly what they were not supposed to do. Other than that they're plan was great.

Last edited:
I don't believe the NCAA has incurred financial loss (yet) from anything in the Freeh report. Plus the NCAA chose to ignore its own internal rules by not conducting its own investigation. Not a lawyer, but I can't see much traction for such a lawsuit.

Well, they do owe considerable moneys to their lawyers right now....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT