ADVERTISEMENT

PennLive - Schedule: No Iowa or Minnesota; Nat'l Duals info

No mention of the Nittany Lion Open or any other Opens.

According to FOS, guess what we have in common with the Goofers and Tan Guys: none of us face the Hawks this year.

How can anyone with an ounce if sensibility not schedule PSU vs Iowa two years in a row? It makes no sense from a financial or marketing perspective. The only reason it happened last year is because Carl and Brands worked it out behind the scenes.

Reactions: letsgohawks44
Love the nuggets in there.

And there will be more when the schedule comes out in August. Only 7 of the 16 competition dates are noted in this article. The National Duals, regardless of format, is a freebie as far as competition dates go, so 9 more dates to come...though we know several from other teams sites.

If someone filled in what they know currently that would be much appreciated. Pennlive blows.

Really bad scheduling...In a dream world, it would be nice to have a quad with Minne, PSU, tOSU, and Iowa.

How can anyone with an ounce if sensibility not schedule PSU vs Iowa two years in a row? It makes no sense from a financial or marketing perspective. The only reason it happened last year is because Carl and Brands worked it out behind the scenes.

Here's to hoping that CAEL and Tommy pull off the same magic that they did last year. THE REAL MAGIC was the DUAL ITSELF!!!

Penn State put on a wrestling show of all wrestling shows.

Last edited:
Here's to hoping that CAEL and Tommy pull off the same magic that they did last year. Cael didn't give us any clues to such a date... but come on... THE REAL MAGIC was the DUAL ITSELF!!!

Penn State put on a wrestling show of all wrestling shows.

Hey Malone! Cael did note, in the article, that he tried, but it's not happening this year:
"It's probably less likely that another attempt will be made to schedule Iowa, a team that Penn State has wrestled 37 times since 1982. Two years ago Sanderson and Iowa coach Tom Brands scheduled an extra dual via Twitter when the Big Ten didn't pair the two powerhouses.

"We're not wrestling Iowa and we're not wrestling Minnesota either,'' Sanderson said. "It's not ideal. I was trying to make it happen. It just didn't seem to work out. It's up to us as coaches to try to figure it out and we just weren't able to figure it out.''​

Really bad scheduling...In a dream world, it would be nice to have a quad with Minne, PSU, tOSU, and Iowa.

With you on this! Maybe the hint of another new format for titling a duals champ could put more momentum in this direction, but I've always wondered why more attempts weren't made to book Tri's or Quad's or even more duals on B2B days. Especially given the NCAA rule/exception that allows a dual vs 1, 2 or 3 teams (even if competed across two back-to-back days) as a single event against the 16 allowable 'event dates.'

Reactions: Azchief32
If someone filled in what they know currently that would be much appreciated. Pennlive blows.

Hey man. I've been charting this as info trickles out, in this google sheet.

General Notes:
- Green = Booked, as announced by the other school's official release (usually w/source link attached)
- Yellow = Rumored, or alluded to in some fashion, like in this article, but lacks a school-released schedule solidifying it.
- ?? = me guessing

Specific Notes:
- I'm guessing Nico & McIntosh will be one of the firsts invited to the Allstar in Atlanta. I'm guessing they will both accept, but wouldn't be terribly surprised if they can't or don't make the trip work. Retherford I'm less sure about, given his year off, his weight bump & the fact he was 'only' 5th place two years ago. But with the way 149 has cleared out & given that Tsirtsis wrestled in it last year (in a typically THRILLING 4-1 decision over Kindig), I wouldn't be terribly surprised if invite order eventually gets to him.

- Bakersfield & Stanford are about 4-4.5hrs apart, so I'm guessing they'll do a Friday (announced) then Sunday, instead of B2B

- I'm guessing Michigan will be the BJC match, but only because Nebraska & Ohio State are already booked. Not that they couldn't still make that happen, but I'm guessing BJC scheduling requires a bit more flexibility on dates. I also haven't looked up PSU hoopyball schedules or other possible competing BJC events on the Nebby & Brutus dates.

- There's still a lot to work out about these new B1G vs The Nation Duals, as the article alludes to. Sounds like more will be worked out next week in Ft Lauderdale at the coaches meetings, but I wanna see what they work out there before I'll guess / agree with Roar about that event being an NCAA freebie from the 16 allowable event dates. Until then, my placeholder is counting it as not a freebie.

- Michigan State (WOOO) (I KNOW!) wasn't mentioned in the article, but it's been booked & is showing as green.

- Iowa State & Nebraska are not scuffling this year, but Edinboro is!

- I'm guessing / have heard that Rutgers & Maryland are the other two B1Gs not on our schedule. And with Nebby, Brutus, Sparty & now Meatchicken all either booked or on the radar, remaining teams we'll very likely see scheduled are: Illinois, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Purdue & Indiana. I listed them in order of my take on the number of good individual matchups we might see. iMart v Nolf at the very top of the list.

- if Lehigh gets booked for the date rumored on wrestlingreport.com, then only one of it or the Sparty dual the next day count as one of the 16 allowable events. So as of right now, I see 9 of 16, plus the 5 more B1Gs to come, which puts us at 1 more opponent/event not yet named/alluded to or rumored about. That 1 goes away if the Lehigh match gets scheduled for some other (non-B2B) date.

- Oklahoma State is a scheduling wildcard at this point. Cael & Smith have been exchanging home & homes of late, and it's Pokie's turn to come to Rec Hall. But with their lineup looking pretty decent, they could end up being the #2 to PSU's #1 come B1G v Nation Duals time. Is that something Cael & Smith would discuss during talks to get Pokie to PSU?

Takery
No Iowa blows & blows hard. That dual would have tons of likely AA's and a few super-compelling matchups, for me in this order: zPain v Sorenson, Nickal v Meyer, Nico v Gilman, McCutcheon v Brooks and Nevills v Stoll.

Cael still has never beaten the Goophers in a dual and missing this year's opportunity to maul em up & down also blows, but missing Rutgers & MD is fine. Kicking off against Va Tech in Cassel Coliseum is gonna be freakin awesome. That 3,378 attendance record (in an arena with a 10,000 capacity) is gonna get shattered, and we're going to see some killer matchups. I'm sure we all remember how hard the Hokies wrestled us in Rec Hall last year. That'll be one of the jewel duals of this year's schedule.

I dig the Cali trip. As Cael noted, it's a nice fulfillment of his recruiting promise to Smack, and I'm sure the Clovis & Nevills clans will represent heavily as well. Although Iowa State & Nebby skip the Scuffle this year, we've got Nebby booked in what should be a fun, if dominant, dual. And the Scuffle has a few regulars who are likely to come back again this year and please, please let them include OkSt & Cornell! And Kent State for Ian Miller please. Edinboro's been a little flaky with the Scuffle & I don't know how much they'll have this year, but they always wrestle tough.

The Michigan dual is going to be insane. Their lineup is probably younger even than ours and it's stacked. They've got AA's all through it. Bruno, Pantaleo, Murphy, Abounader, Coon & Logan Massa all have redshirts still available! They'll probably fill their biggest hole when young stud RSFR Zac Hall beats out George Fisher (prediction from our bros at Bloodround) and the only other lineup spot they have yet to resolve is 4 guys at 3 middle/upper weights, with Massa, Massa, Abounader & Mahomes at 165-184. I really hope this is the one at the BJC. It could be really electric.

Ohio State's gonna be really good and it's late enough in the year, that we'll know what we've got in matchups with their lineup. Hopefully Hunter is healthy & at 149. And if the NWCA & coaches get this end of year duals event set up, we could see another great matchup.

All in all, I'm really happy with the upcoming schedule, despite the glaring omission of the Hawkeyes & Gophs. Lots of good opponents, tons of great individual matchups and it sounds like it will include some stellar Events.

I hear you, but it's what happens when you have a 14-team conference with only 9 conference duals per team. Each season, a full 30% of the teams won't be on the conference schedule. It's a downside of the conference expansion.

Even though it didn't end a W, the PSU-MN dual in Minny a couple years ago was one of the best duals I've attended (admittedly young). I'm selfishly-disappointed in this schedule.

Hey Malone! Cael did note, in the article, that he tried, but it's not happening this year:
"It's probably less likely that another attempt will be made to schedule Iowa, a team that Penn State has wrestled 37 times since 1982. Two years ago Sanderson and Iowa coach Tom Brands scheduled an extra dual via Twitter when the Big Ten didn't pair the two powerhouses.

"We're not wrestling Iowa and we're not wrestling Minnesota either,'' Sanderson said. "It's not ideal. I was trying to make it happen. It just didn't seem to work out. It's up to us as coaches to try to figure it out and we just weren't able to figure it out.''​
I did catch that. I was hoping and maybe wishing too much that both coaches in the heat of trying to make schedules work for the season could find... at least ONE open date they could go at each other. When they scheduled the dual two years ago... it was a "dead, we're NOT doing it" deal and the match sprung out of NO WHERE. Scheduling conflicts, giving wrestlers time to heal from injuries, Iowa and Minnesota rotating off the schedule via NCAA scheduling, I know all went into the decisions that were made regarding scheduling.

I was merely hoping and impractically wishing Cael and Brands pulled another rabbit out of a hat. What's the purpose of scheduling a season... if the two BIGGEST matches you could possibly wrestle are NOT on the schedule. And the NCAA wants to put an emphasis on duals??

Yeah right. Growing the sport? Yeah right? Mike Moyer's master plan... yeah right?

With you on this! Maybe the hint of another new format for titling a duals champ could put more momentum in this direction, but I've always wondered why more attempts weren't made to book Tri's or Quad's or even more duals on B2B days. Especially given the NCAA rule/exception that allows a dual vs 1, 2 or 3 teams (even if competed across two back-to-back days) as a single event against the 16 allowable 'event dates.'

Back-to-back days are allowed twice per season. Most teams do it with tournaments, Penn State last year and this year are doing it with the Scuffle, and one event of duals on consecutive days.

Roar, they are allowed more than twice per season, but if they do it a third time (or any more than that), they count as two separate dates.

It saddens me to see no Iowa/PSU dual. Hope they work out this blunder.

Wisconsin released their schedule yesterday. They travel to PSU on Dec. 13th. Sorry if this date was already established.

It saddens me to see no Iowa/PSU dual. Hope they work out this blunder.
Blunder is a great way to describe it how can the BIG not have this matchup EVERY year.College wrestling is struggling to gain new fans and for the BIG to allow it to happen is embarrassing!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT