ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball PENN STATE VS NORTHWESTERN - PREVIEW & GAME THREAD

I think there would have to be a half-dozen bid steals or teams below PSU in the various "bracketology" rankings winning a big game in order for PSU to NOT be in the NCAAs.

Now we can get greedy and hope PSU earned a bye and doesn't have to "play-in". If PSU could somehow move up to a 10-seed, that would historically put them in good position for an upset win in the 7-10 matchup.
There aren't enough potential bid stealers left for that scenario. We're dancing, and it's 90%+ that our next game is on Thursday or Friday

What just happened?

Missed 11 FTs
Lost offensive rebounds 13-8
Lost turnovers 15-4
Lost blocks 3-1
Lost assists 12-6
Lost steals 8-2
What do people who were able to watch the game say? Did NW play especially tough defense or did PSU look tired?

I think there would have to be a half-dozen bid steals or teams below PSU in the various "bracketology" rankings winning a big game in order for PSU to NOT be in the NCAAs.

Now we can get greedy and hope PSU earned a bye and doesn't have to "play-in". If PSU could somehow move up to a 10-seed, that would historically put them in good position for an upset win in the 7-10 matchup.
PSU has 7 quad 1 wins. How many teams seeded 9th or worse have that?

Key to the game for me...29 trips to the FT line. Even though we missed a bunch of them, it's a different game when you're getting trips to the line.
Plus gave our gassed guys some breaks...all year we have been bitching about not getting to the line. Tonight we were in the Bonus early and coukdn't maximize that advantage.

I predict Jalen plays like his hair is on fire tomorrow afternoon. The boys picked him up tonight. Let's root for IU and Terps to go Double OT. Prefer to see UMd...but house money at this point.

What do people who were able to watch the game say? Did NW play especially tough defense or did PSU look tired?
Bit of both. We laighed, we cried. Good D or really bad O? Guess it is in the eye of the beholder.

We scrapped and had more points at tge end. Seth with some HUGE clutch shots including game winning 3 with 47 seconds left.

PSU earned the W, but NW gotta feel pretty bad. They did trap late and shoukd have gained posession down 2. We caught a break as a TO was granted.

Our guys have gutted out some tough wins. Especially against two local teams and big fanbases.

We deserve to be playing tomorrow.

I predict Jalen plays like his hair is on fire tomorrow afternoon. The boys picked him up tonight. Let's root for IU and Terps to go Double OT. Prefer to see UMd...but house money at this point
Pickett needs some time off. That was grueling and they have to play again at 3:30. Not much time to rest.

Both

Now you're getting carried away.
Maybe, but we missed 11 free throws, missed a few easy shots, and had a ton of turnovers. Then throw in a normal game from Pickett and I’m not so sure I’m getting that carried away. I’ll lower it to 15.

It does get closer with every win...but still expect them to land ahead of us at this point with their resume.
That’s a case where three head to head wins should put us ahead. I know you’re a huge advocate for this system, and it’s probably as good as it can be, but it’s not perfect and sometimes common sense needs to play a role as well. Beating a team three times, with two of them basically being on the road, is a pretty strong indicator you’re a better team.

That’s a case where three head to head wins should put us ahead. I know you’re a huge advocate for this system, and it’s probably as good as it can be, but it’s not perfect and sometimes common sense needs to play a role as well. Beating a team three times, with two of them basically being on the road, is a pretty strong indicator you’re a better team.
It really comes down to the whole concept of every game being equal...doesn't matter if you're hot, if you won head to head, if you pass the eye test, etc. I personally love that fact that the first game of the year means the same amount as the last.

Reactions: doctornick
Rooting for MD. I don't think we have much of a chance against Indy, especially considering the fatigue factor.

Maybe, but we missed 11 free throws, missed a few easy shots, and had a ton of turnovers. Then throw in a normal game from Pickett and I’m not so sure I’m getting that carried away. I’ll lower it to 15.
Let's say we make 4 of those FTs and finish 22-29 (76%). That only adds 4 pts.

Pickett needs some time off. That was grueling and they have to play again at 3:30. Not much time to rest.
Agreed. I meant more like that angry faced look he had on his face. I really do hope Maryland wins just to take the IU crowd out of it. I think they sound liuder than either NW or Ill fans so far.

It really comes down to the whole concept of every game being equal...doesn't matter if you're hot, if you won head to head, if you pass the eye test, etc. I personally love that fact that the first game of the year means the same amount as the last.
But teams are different from the first game of the year to the last, especially with the transfer portal and guys getting FG accustomed to a new system. Do you honestly think we’re the same team now that we were back in November? And any time in any sport, head to head does mean something especially if you play a team three times. Once can be a fluke, twice can be bad luck, but three times is a pretty solid determining factor.

I hope PSU realizes that they now need to pay Shrewsberry and lock him in for at least a few years

the new AD probably understands this but historically PSU had total morons as AD

Reactions: bison13
Let's say we make 4 of those FTs and finish 22-29 (76%). That only adds 4 pts.
I get what you’re saying, but we played really poorly and with same made free throws and not throwing the ball away, we could have blown that game open at different times. Doesn’t really matter because we didn’t but we still won. And 76% still isn’t very good….I have very little patience for poor free throw shooting, there’s no excuse for it.

I remember when we made a run in the tournament with D.J. Newville. He had to carry more of the load than Pickett but he was sensational until he simply ran out of gas.

I think Pickett is out of gas. He's getting double teamed 25 ft from the basket and has to fight for everything.

I get what you’re saying, but we played really poorly and with same made free throws and not throwing the ball away, we could have blown that game open at different times. Doesn’t really matter because we didn’t but we still won. And 76% still isn’t very good….I have very little patience for poor free throw shooting, there’s no excuse for it.
You could also say NW should have shot better than 31%. A 20 pt win was never in the cards.

I remember when we made a run in the tournament with D.J. Newville. He had to carry more of the load than Pickett but he was sensational until he simply ran out of gas.

I think Pickett is out of gas. He's getting double teamed 25 ft from the basket and has to fight for everything.
the other teams have players out of gas too especially by tomorrow

i think we have a decent chance of getting to sunday against either of these teams

i don't like our chances of winning on sunday if we get there and play purdue

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT