ADVERTISEMENT

Pan-Am's

The Pan Am qualifier is coming up: The good news at 57 kg is that Zane and RBY are on opposites ends of the bracket, and both can qualify their weight for the Olympics by making the Final. At 65 kg Nick and Austin Gomez are on the same side of the bracket, so that isn't great as only one of them could potentially qualify their weight for the Olympics. There is one final last chance qualifier tournament after this tournament to qualify both 57 and 65 if needed, but that tournament would be considerably tougher than this one.

The Pan Am qualifier is coming up: The good news at 57 kg is that Zane and RBY are on opposites ends of the bracket, and both can qualify their weight for the Olympics by making the Final. At 65 kg Nick and Austin Gomez are on the same side of the bracket, so that isn't great as only one of them could potentially qualify their weight for the Olympics. There is one final last chance qualifier tournament after this tournament to qualify both 57 and 65 if needed, but that tournament would be considerably tougher than this one.
That 65kg draw is much, much worse for Gomez/Mexico than it is for Nick.

Jim Boeheim donated them …
Jim-Boeheim-picking-his-nose.gif

Still, Gomez is one of those feast or famine guys. He looks better this year than in the recent past, but still, Ridge Lovett went to town on him earlier this year.
I get it. With Gomez's style, he can catch anyone, but while Gomez is getting torched by Ridge Lovett, Nick has been repeatedly putting it to Yianni. I'm not too worried.

Nick also won both upper-body exchanges w/ Austin at worlds. He's elite w/ his throws, as well as just generally. Gomez can pin anyone though. I'm sure Nick will be ready.

I couldn't find video of this match, but here's the pbp from Flo:
65kg - Nick Lee, USA vs Austin Gomez, MEX - we may have to wait a minute or two for mandatory recovery time for either or both of these wrestlers. I do not believe Lee and Gomez have wrestled in college before. And here they come now. Nick Lee jumps out to an early 6-0 lead thanks to a takedown and two turns. Gomez answers with a head pinch from short offense to make it 6-2. A step out for Lee makes it 7-2. Or does it? There's a challenge, and it's won, and the point goes to Gomez and it's 6-3. Now we're in an upper body tussle. 50/50 dueling chest wraps. Is someone going to their back? And Nick Lee gains the advantage and has Gomez in trouble. Pinfall for Nick Lee! His second win of the day already!

Is this the thread for this weekend's Olympic qualifier? Men's freestyle is today, right? Surprised there aren't any updates yet.

Nick also won both upper-body exchanges w/ Austin at worlds. He's elite w/ his throws, as well as just generally. Gomez can pin anyone though. I'm sure Nick will be ready.

I couldn't find video of this match, but here's the pbp from Flo:
It would be a shocking upset, but it's wrestling and Gomez is notoriously dangerous. It's exactly that kind of flukey exchange that cost us a spot at this weight in 2021 when Zain pinned himself.

Reactions: nerfstate
Yeah--training with Dake a lot seems like a great call for Alex. Like Kyle, he has pretty elite defensive skill, but Kyle can show him how to turn that into points like no one else can. I'm looking forward to seeing him compete again in college!
Unfortunately Dake is surely training with Psycho and Claw as well... Carter? Maybe not lol.

Amit's Brazilian opponent hit a nice four point throw early in the match as Amit was pressuring her, trying to get a push out. Amit then proceeding to march her around the mat for the remainder of the match, forcing two caution and one's in the process. Other than that one throw, Amit completely controlled the match. I liked Amit's mental toughness in that match. She didn't panic after giving up the four and methodically took control of the match after that. A match like that will be good for her in the long run. I also like that she was smiling at the end of the match, showing she doesn't get down on herself when she doesn't dominate a match like she usually does.

Amit's Brazilian opponent hit a nice four point throw early in the match as Amit was pressuring her, trying to get a push out. Amit then proceeding to march her around the mat for the remainder of the match, forcing two caution and one's in the process. Other than that one throw, Amit completely controlled the match. I liked Amit's mental toughness in that match. She didn't panic after giving up the four and methodically took control of the match after that. A match like that will be good for her in the long run. I also like that she was smiling at the end of the match, showing she doesn't get down on herself when she doesn't dominate a match like she usually does.
Video clips from the match here.

Saw enough on B to see Gomez ice a 10-0 TF, so he'll be Nick's first opponent. Mat A is up now, and seems to be working OK. RBY on deck there.

Reactions: hlstone
(MEX) Roman Guillermo BRAVO YOUNG (5) vs (PER) Enrique Armando HERRERA HUACRE (6)
1st

• 5:22 Roman gets the corner on a go-behind, gets an arm bar and turns twice 6-0
  • 4:33 Catches an ankle and is given the finish off the edge, plus a (fleeing?) caution point and restart in par terre. 9-0
  • 4:22 Gut wrench to ice it 11-0

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT