ADVERTISEMENT

Pan-Am's

I haven't seen one response from js today unless I missed it lol
7383bc51-f7c6-40dd-9b30-c4634297d001_text.gif

I think the results of the tournament were right in line with what I was saying. He lost and then had to beat multiple medal contenders on the back side. Much much tougher than beating Austin Gomez to qualify. He would not have qualified under the old rules. Fortunately, they added an extra spot this year.

Super happy for Zain! I thought he looked outstanding.

I think the results of the tournament were right in line with what I was saying. He lost and then had to beat multiple medal contenders on the back side. Much much tougher than beating Austin Gomez to qualify. He would not have qualified under the old rules. Fortunately, they added an extra spot this year.

giphy.gif

LOL

You said 10% ??? We were 2 for 2, which is 100% by my math. How is that right in line with what you were saying?

At no time did I say it wouldn't be tougher than PanAms, but it was arrogant to suggest I didn't understand international wrestling when I suggested at least 50%.

It's bizarro to claim now you were right.

By the way, who the F cares about the old rules? I knew it was a top-3 to qualify; maybe you were the uninformed one.

LOL

You said 10% ??? We were 2 for 2, which is 100% by my math. How is that right in line with what you were saying?

At no time did I say it wouldn't be tougher than PanAms, but it was arrogant to suggest I didn't understand international wrestling when I suggested at least 50%.

It's bizarro to claim now you were right.

By the way, who the F cares about the old rules? I knew it was a top-3 to qualify; maybe you were the uninformed one.
That is not how probability works, my friend.

Also, it was 10% to qualify 65kg specifically. And this discussion was before we saw Zain at 65. He was a shell of himself the last time he made 65 and I didn't think he would be in contention. After seeing him at trials, I felt a lot better than 10%. I would have probably said 33% if we revisited.

I think Lee or Yianni probably lose to the Mongolian and the Indian with this same draw.

That is not how probability works, my friend.

Also, it was 10% to qualify 65kg specifically. And this discussion was before we saw Zain at 65. He was a shell of himself the last time he made 65 and I didn't think he would be in contention. After seeing him at trials, I felt a lot better than 10%. I would have probably said 33% if we revisited.

I think Lee or Yianni probably lose to the Mongolian and the Indian with this same draw.

Probability??? LOL

We're no rolling dice or flipping coins.

This was a subjective opinion on the strength of our field compared to other nonqualified nations. It wasn't just about Zain. Whoever won the spot at OTT would have a decent chance to qualify at the last chance.

10% wasn't just too low; it was uninformed. USA wrestlers are not chopped liver, our guys are the bad draw more often than not.

Probability??? LOL

This was a subjective opinion on the strength of our field compared to other nonqualified nations. It wasn't just about Zain. Whoever won the spot at OTT would have a decent chance to qualify at the last chance.

10% wasn't just too low; it was uninformed. USA wrestlers are not chopped liver, our guys are the bad draw more often than not.
It was literally a probability question.

"How likely are we to qualify at Last Chance?"

I get you're trying to dunk on me, but you gotta do a better job than this.

W/L was not 50/50 every time Zain stepped on the mat.

If you care to handicap each wrestler then show me how your weighted likelihood estimate results in 10%; have at it.

W/L was not 50/50 every time Zain stepped on the mat.

If you care to handicap each wrestler then show me how your weighted likelihood estimate results in 10%; have at it.
Well, looking at his wrestle back path only with the draw he had, I'd go 90% match 1, 66% match 2, 50% match 3, 75% match 4 for a final probability of 22%. That's with him as a solid favorite in 3/4 matches and a toss up with the guy he beat on criteria.

That's with some hindsight bias too. Match 2 was probably considered a true toss up heading into it which would bring the probability down to 17%.

And as I said, if I thought this version of Zain was a possibility at the time of this discussion, I wouldn't have given 10% as my number.

Edit: I forgot to include the probability of Tumur pulling him back in. I think I'd go 75% match 1, 66% match 2 which would bring the total probability to 11%. So I was actually pretty spot on.

Last edited:
Well, looking at his wrestle back path only with the draw he had, I'd go 90% match 1, 66% match 2, 50% match 3, 75% match 4 for a final probability of 22%. That's with him as a solid favorite in 3/4 matches and a toss up with the guy he beat on criteria.

That's with some hindsight bias too. Match 2 was probably considered a true toss up heading into it which would bring the probability down to 17%.

And as I said, if I thought this version of Zain was a possibility at the time of this discussion, I wouldn't have given 10% as my number.

Edit: I forgot to include the probability of Tumur pulling him back in. I think I'd go 75% match 1, 66% match 2 which would bring the total probability to 11%. So I was actually pretty spot on.
Not a single 83% in there?

You are way off on your math. You included a 50% factor in a match that did not have an absolute failure outcome (Mongolian).

Try again. (or not)

You are way off on your math. You included a 50% factor in a match that did not have an absolute failure outcome (Mongolian).

Try again. (or not)
No I didn't. Those were his four repechage matches after losing to Mongolia.

For using the word "prick" to describe Brooks. Why did I use it? Because one of your posters used it to describe DT on the same thread. That guy wasn't suspended for some reason.

Meh. At least you only got a timeout here. And it's not surprising that home team posters have longer leashes than visitors. Anyway, good to have you back.

Reactions: js8793
Probability??? LOL

the bracket was literally random draw outside the top 4

Good point. I'll switch Zain's final match against Scriabin to 83%. That brings the final probability to 12%.

Considering I had no idea what the draw would look like, I think this is a pretty remarkable result on my part. Well done @js8793 !!!

@jack66 you were only 38 off (at a minimum) but I think it's great you tried!

The math is solid, the handicapper sucks.

Whether it was this version of Zain or someone who beat the 'shell' version of Zain, you underestimated the strength of USA wrestling then, and you underestimate USA wrestling now. There is a reason we are one of only a few counties with six qualifiers.

Manipulating mathematical results with faulty input doesn't cover up the fact that you pulled 10% out of thin air after Nick lost at PanAms.

Your passive-aggressive act has worn thin over here.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
No I didn't. Those were his four repechage matches after losing to Mongolia.
Sorry, my reading comprehension is not up to my math skills.

The point remains. Depending on what probability you gave him to beat the Mongolian (which is surely not zero, nor I don't see how it could be less than 25 or 33 percent considering your probabilities of his other matches) you undersold the probability of qualifying.

That doesn't even factor in the fact - alliteration intended - that per random draw, Zain had at least as much chance being drawn into the top half of that bracket as he did into the death march where he landed.

At the end of the day, he was clearly top 2/3 in the bracket (giving him 50/50 with the Indian). Even not seeing him compete at 65kg before - 10% was clearly not in the ball park.

Try Again Music Video GIF

Reactions: Nitlion1986
The math is solid, the handicapper sucks.

Whether it was this version of Zain or someone who beat the 'shell' version of Zain, you underestimated the strength of USA wrestling then, and you underestimate USA wrestling now. There is a reason we are one of only a few counties with six qualifiers.

Manipulating mathematical results with faulty input doesn't cover up the fact that you pulled 10% out of thin air after Nick lost at PanAms.

Your passive-aggressive act has worn thin over here.
wait are you the guy who’s been trying to call me out for a couple years now for being “passive aggressive?” lol

Sorry, my reading comprehension is not up to my math skills.

The point remains. Depending on what probability you gave him to beat the Mongolian (which is surely not zero, nor I don't see how it could be less than 25 or 33 percent considering your probabilities of his other matches) you undersold the probability of qualifying.

That doesn't even factor in the fact - alliteration intended - that per random draw, Zain had at least as much chance being drawn into the top half of that bracket as he did into the death march where he landed.

At the end of the day, he was clearly top 2/3 in the bracket (giving him 50/50 with the Indian). Even not seeing him compete at 65kg before - 10% was clearly not in the ball park.

Try Again Music Video GIF
that’s totally fair and i said that i would have said 33% if we revisited after trials. i didn’t think zain could be effective down at 65, yianni has regressed, and i don’t think lee has fully adapted to international guys (reminds me of early zain).

Reactions: dicemen99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT