ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What is That Delightful Smell? Or, Is Something Burning?

Also, I’ve been in apartments the last 11 years so no grills. I’ve decided that when I eventually have a space where I can, I’ll probably forgo the grill option for a flat top like a blackstone or something. I prefer steaks in cast iron anyway and the flat top is great for things like smash burgers and fajitas that I do normally.

what_she_said_office.gif
I had complete faith someone would go there!

That thing is massive. It should make large cooks a lot easier. I actually was looking at rec tec and yoder. Both good brands. Rec tec has a good warranty which is important when dealing with Chinese steel. I had bought a silver back grill from grilla grills. Unbenowst to me they had started sourcing their steel from China. Sure enough my heat deflecter and hood/door both became warped. They replaced both (from a different supplier) with no further problems. As with all pellet grills use only high quality all wood pellets. It says the BFG can fit a 130# hog or 15 Briskets. Way too big for me.
I like big cooks and I cannot lie...

Also, I’ve been in apartments the last 11 years so no grills. I’ve decided that when I eventually have a space where I can, I’ll probably forgo the grill option for a flat top like a blackstone or something. I prefer steaks in cast iron anyway and the flat top is great for things like smash burgers and fajitas that I do normally.
We have a Blackstone and haven't taken the cover off the regular grill since July 3rd 2021.

Hibachi, eggs and bacon, steaks, seafood... all awesome

I'll start this thread for everything grilling, BBQ, and smoking. Recipes, tips and tricks for better results, and questions on what to get and how to cook it. Post away everyone.
We have a small local beef processing house near our farm. While fresh ham and sausage draws most of the attention, I like to pick up a full side of hog (some call it a slab and other call it a flitch of bacon) before it’s frozen. We slather it with molasses, 3 or 4 pounds of brown sugar, and a fifth of honey favored Jack. We put the slathered flitch in an aluminum tray and put it in a smoker for 5-6 hours (flipping the it every hour or so). By early evening we grab a few beverages and sit beside the smoker. A long handled kitchen knife and pot roast fork is used to slice off small chunks of fresh bacon dripping with alcohol infused sweets. You can’t eat bacon too fast (for obvious reasons) so our evenings with the flitch go far past midnight. WARNING: Sleep is not advised after nipping at flitch for 4-5 hours.

@WexfordWarrior I have the Thermoworks monitor and about 5 or 6 thermopens, but after I got the Meater probes, I never pull the Thermoworks monitor out of the drawer. It is so freaking easy to use. Still use the Thermopens all the time.

I have never seen that. No wires? Just insert probe and it measures internal temps and ambient temps. I like that. Any quality issues? Do you have to calibrate it?

The BBQ/Smoker lifestyle is not for everyone. It is a enjoyable past time for me. Shooting the s**t with friends while monitoring the cook and sipping a few brews. More than just searing something on a flat top. To each his own.

b1079788bd71b5a99f05a9e7492608e3.gif

Last edited:
The BBQ/Smoker lifestyle is not for everyone. It is a enjoyable past time for me. Shooting the s**t with friends while monitoring the cook and sipping a few brews. More than just searing something on a flat top

b1079788bd71b5a99f05a9e7492608e3.gif
. To each his own.
The old man has a smoker and we live pretty close to my parents so I’ll go over there on occasional weekends and we’ll throw stuff in there, but the girlfriend is a vegetarian so even if I’m doing something that would be on the grill it’s in small quantities.

• Sad
Reactions: dunkej01
I saw some comments about wild turkeys getting too dry. Easy fix. Inject the turkey with wine. My wife uses rhubarb wine and injects the breasts, thighs and legs of the bird. It slowly drips through the cooking bird and into the pan. The wings are wrapped with foil. She takes it out, rotates it, removes the foil from the wings, re-injects the bird with more wine and some of the drippings. At about 160 degrees internal temp and wonderful brown skin she takes it out to sit for at least 15 minutes. The drippings form the base for the gravy.

@WexfordWarrior I have the Thermoworks monitor and about 5 or 6 thermopens, but after I got the Meater probes, I never pull the Thermoworks monitor out of the drawer. It is so freaking easy to use. Still use the Thermopens all the time.

Which model of the Meater probes do you guys got? I was leaning towards the Plus to try one out but the block is intriguing. From what I am gathering the difference between the Plus and the regular probes is the range you can pick up the signal?

Okay, the brisket for the pastrami is in the brine. So, here ya go.

The main recipe: https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/homemade-pastrami/

I'll brine it until next Saturday, then put a healthy coating of that rub on it.

Smoke it for six hours at 200-225. Then wrap in foil, splash a little apple juice in before you close it up, and put it in the oven for 5-6 more hours. Take it out, put it in a cooler for a few more hours, open and enjoy.

Which model of the Meater probes do you guys got? I was leaning towards the Plus to try one out but the block is intriguing. From what I am gathering the difference between the Plus and the regular probes is the range you can pick up the signal?
I bought the original but had a problem with the range, they let me upgrade to the plus, just a different base unit, and it works perfect.

I bought the original but had a problem with the range, they let me upgrade to the plus, just a different base unit, and it works perfect.
Ok. I might spring for the block. Or just grab one to try. I really don't smoke much more than I maybe 2 things at a time. And since it reads both internal and cooking temp I don't need additional probes.

Ok. I might spring for the block. Or just grab one to try. I really don't smoke much more than I maybe 2 things at a time. And since it reads both internal and cooking temp I don't need additional probes.
i would just get the plus unless you often do multiple cooks. You get the extra range over the original but no extra probes. One probe does both for a cook.

Reactions: PAgeologist
Drunk bird is one my family enjoys. Equal parts butter, bourbon and maple syrup. Melt is and us it to inject the bird of choice. I sprinkle with kosher salt and leave uncovered in the fridge overnight. Re-inject and smoke on bird. Smoke away at 230 on a fruit wood. I inject until the brine comes out. I like to spatchcock the bird but not necessary. Drunk is the only way I will eat bird.

Reactions: Creek Side
Finishing sauce for pork. Equal parts good quality apple cider vinegar, dark maple syrup, frozen apple juice concentrate. I use my apple juice can as my measuring cup. To that I add 3 tablespoons of my preferred pork rub, for me smokehouse maple. 1 TBS liquid smoke, tsp black pepper, 2 TBS dried mustard, 1 TBS onion powder, 1 TBS garlic powder, and 2 TBS red pepper flakes. I bring to a boil then let sit, and then bring back to a boil and let sit until ready to serve. At serving bring back to a boil and strain out all the pepper flakes and anything that people might think will make it spicy. Add to taste to the pork as you pull. I use a couple cups per pork shoulder. I also put some in a squeeze bottle for those that want a little more. Keeps the meat moist...

I would brine it first. They can dry out if overcooked. Here is a link.

YES! Even the thanksgiving bird is getting a wet brine. I marinate all of my meat overnight. Just a better foodstuff. Even if you're not doing a classic brine (boil down the seasonings) - using an acid base (lemons, oranges) and an oil will allow the seasonings to actually permeate the meat.

If you want brisket but don’t feel like paying an obscene brisket price, I’ve turned to smoking Chuck roasts and they turn out fabulously.

YES to this. doing poor mans burnt ends this weekend. A chuck roast is just so versatile.

I've done a couple London broils. They're tough to do cause they are so lean and dry up easily, but cook quickly. I have been eyeing up chuck roasts. Now that winter is over, I will give them a shot.

You HAVE to marinate it over night. Then it's pretty hard to mess up.

you can get creative as you want but I use the below no matter what:

Balsamic Vinegar
Soy Sauce
Worcestershire sauce

Then whatever seasonings you want after that:

honey
lemon
rosemary/any herbs

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
I'm surprised none of you are using/have mentioned a Traeger. I know it's cheating, but the wife bought it when she realized I was fully committed to sitting outside for all 8 hours to watch my smoke temp.

Just started using Myron Mixon's rib marinade and it was life changing:

Orange Juice (I just use fresh oranges)
ginger ale
dry ranch seasoning
soy sauce

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU

I've got a 36 inch Blackstone at the lake and it is revolutionary for cooking for crowds, especially breakfast. I've fit 3 lbs of thick cut bacon in one round, and can do 18 pancakes at a time. Highly recommended.

Also have a small pellet smoker there since I want a "set and forget" experience. Big enough for 2 bellies, small enough to wheel in and out when I need it.

About 10 years ago I picked up an old restaurant flat top griddle. Took an old boat trailer and built it into a cook top on wheels. I agree that it has revolutionized cooking breakfast for the masses. When I have a big crowd I will put 2 blackstones on each side. Bacon or sausage on one, hashbrowns on one, and pancakes on one. We can feed a couple hundred on the set up.

I know a little bit about curing and smoking different meat, poultry and to a lesser degree fish. I am am telling you all right now, these two (so far) pages in this thread are Gold I tell you, pure Gold.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
I don’t trust anything with the name Yoder.
I just bought a rec tec, I’ve had other smokers and this is my first pellet smoker. So far I’m very impressed.
it would be my suggestion for rhose new to smoking.

Reactions: LHavenlion
I don’t trust anything with the name Yoder.
I just bought a rec tec, I’ve had other smokers and this is my first pellet smoker. So far I’m very impressed.
it would be my suggestion for rhose new to smoking.
My dad got a Green Mountain pellet smoker/grill. I haven't smoked with it yet but he likes it. I have grilled with it. It's hard to get a good sear on a steak since you don't have a direct flame. Plus the way the lid and opening are shaped I get blasted with smoke when opening the lid. It's ok, but would rather have my stick fired one. I'm sure if I used it more I would be more comfortable with it.

The old man has a smoker and we live pretty close to my parents so I’ll go over there on occasional weekends and we’ll throw stuff in there, but the girlfriend is a vegetarian so even if I’m doing something that would be on the grill it’s in small quantities.
LOL. I am in the same boat. I have a Pit Barrel and when I fire it up I cant seem to put just a piece or two on. So, I make way more than I should or need to and give it to friends and neighbors.

One last favorite. Good pulled pork, quality coleslaw, finally grated pepper jack cheese. Mix it all up and roll it in an egg roll wrapper. Dip in an egg wash and fry in hot oil. Serve with various BBQ sauces. Great appetizer while the ribs or brisket cook down.

I've got a 36 inch Blackstone at the lake and it is revolutionary for cooking for crowds, especially breakfast. I've fit 3 lbs of thick cut bacon in one round, and can do 18 pancakes at a time. Highly recommended.

Also have a small pellet smoker there since I want a "set and forget" experience. Big enough for 2 bellies, small enough to wheel in and out when I need it.
Prove It. 🍳🥓😃

One last favorite. Good pulled pork, quality coleslaw, finally grated pepper jack cheese. Mix it all up and roll it in an egg roll wrapper. Dip in an egg wash and fry in hot oil. Serve with various BBQ sauces. Great appetizer while the ribs or brisket cook down.
That sounds fantastic. A local bar does a pepperoni roll similar to that and we love them.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Cooked a cap of ribeye for Easter. I rolled it and tied it , salt and pepper seasoned, cooked it to 122 internal temperature in my trager. I seared it for 8 minutes on the Weber then let it rest for ten minutes before cutting it in steak slices.
I loved it this way but I think I might cook them like steaks next time instead of like a roast .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT