ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Spectre/James Bond trailer

Still in high school, I just turned 17 two months before the Goldfinger release. Dad allowed me to take the family Rambler station wagon (with push button gear change, and for the before its time fold down rear AND front seats) and I collected several of my good buddies on a Sunday afternoon. We sat in the front row of the balcony of the Colonial theater, the best movie house in Allentown at the time. We were so ... excited ... delighted ... entertained after watching the movie we decided to sit through it a second time. I called home to ask permission to stay and despite a vigorous snowstorm having developed during the first showing, my father allowed it. The effect of James bond on post pubescent American males was both significant and substantial. We looked for English cigarettes, copied his style of dress, and generally tried to emulate James Bond. I read all the Ian Flemming Bond novels within a year.

Thanks for posting the trailer, it brought a genuine smile to my face and look forward to seeing the film.

Still in high school, I just turned 17 two months before the Goldfinger release. Dad allowed me to take the family Rambler station wagon (with push button gear change, and for the before its time fold down rear AND front seats) and I collected several of my good buddies on a Sunday afternoon. We sat in the front row of the balcony of the Colonial theater, the best movie house in Allentown at the time. We were so ... excited ... delighted ... entertained after watching the movie we decided to sit through it a second time. I called home to ask permission to stay and despite a vigorous snowstorm having developed during the first showing, my father allowed it. The effect of James bond on post pubescent American males was both significant and substantial. We looked for English cigarettes, copied his style of dress, and generally tried to emulate James Bond. I read all the Ian Flemming Bond novels within a year.

Thanks for posting the trailer, it brought a genuine smile to my face and look forward to seeing the film.

Goldfinger was part of the classic film series I see in theaters on Wednesdays. timeless and excellent. you might enjoy this nod from Pierce Brosnan to Connery at the AFI Lifetime Achievement awards:

I thought Skyfall was the best Bond movie in a while. Actually had a little bit of intrigue and a plot line to it. I thought the Tim Dalton and Pierce Brosnan Bond movies were getting a little stale. Not that they played the role wrong or were bad actors, just the storylines and movies were not very good.

I thought Skyfall was the best Bond movie in a while. Actually had a little bit of intrigue and a plot line to it. I thought the Tim Dalton and Pierce Brosnan Bond movies were getting a little stale. Not that they played the role wrong or were bad actors, just the storylines and movies were not very good.

I know a lot of fans trash License to Kill (and good Lord what is Wayne Newton doing in a Bond film??), but I loved the interplay between Dalton and Robert Davi. one of the darker Bond films that nailed Bond's persona in the books. and one helluva tanker chase!

Goldfinger was part of the classic film series I see in theaters on Wednesdays. timeless and excellent. you might enjoy this nod from Pierce Brosnan to Connery at the AFI Lifetime Achievement awards:

My sister lived up in Idaho when Brosnan filmed a movie about a volcano up there with Linda Hamilton. The locals loathed Hamilton but raved about Brosnan. Totally down to earth with time for everyone. Was out at night in the pubs chatting everyone up. I wouldn't mind being him for a spell.

she was in Skyfall too, new Moneypenny
Damn - totally whiffed on that.

Liked Skyfall a lot but that song by Adele which people raved about was monotonous - "it's a Skyfall, it's a Skyfall ..." Not exactly, but you get the point.

Thanks for the trailer - looks awesome. I do wish they'd have another classic villain (or villain sidekick) like OddJob or Jaws.

Reactions: simons96

I still have my Corgi Bond car from Goldfinger somewhere....

I enjoyed Skyfall - I saw where some reviewers did not like it...but I think I understood the whole premise. The scene where he reveals the 1964 Aston Martin was great- brought the crowd to their feet in the theater.

I am looking forward to this new film. The new Aston looks amazing.

this actor and this series of Bond films are the best Bond flicks to date. Cannot wait for the new release.

I enjoyed Skyfall - I saw where some reviewers did not like it...but I think I understood the whole premise. The scene where he reveals the 1964 Aston Martin was great- brought the crowd to their feet in the theater.

I am looking forward to this new film. The new Aston looks amazing.

I think Craig (and the production team) have done a great job of bringing Bond into the 21st century while also honoring the traditions of the franchise

Reactions: PSU65

I thought Skyfall was not only the best Bond movie in decades but the movie of the year. Going to be hard to top that one.

Meh. The scenes with the Carnival masks are a direct knock-off of "To live and Let Die" and the snow scenes are a shameless reproduction of "For Your Eyes Only".

James Bond films are like Fonzie jumping the shark.

Meh. The scenes with the Carnival masks are a direct knock-off of "To live and Let Die" and the snow scenes are a shameless reproduction of "For Your Eyes Only".

well Bond also went to Carnivale in Moonraker, and the snow scenes in FYEO were a nod to On Her Majesty's Secret Service . . . :D

well Bond also went to Carnivale in Moonraker, and the snow scenes in FYEO were a nod to On Her Majesty's Secret Service . . . :D
I've tried to purge Moinraker from my gray matter and, if I'm not mistaken, on Her Majesty's Secret Service involved some JB imposter.

So you're saying that the Bond films are nothing but a recurring series of self- plagarism?

Actually, I thought the Day of the Dead scenes in the trailer were most reminiscent of the Junkanoo scene in Thunderball except without the urninating dog.

And when you steal from yourself it's an homage, which is French for stealing from yourself.

I think Craig (and the production team) have done a great job of bringing Bond into the 21st century while also honoring the traditions of the franchise
Agreed...Craig is the best Bond since Connery. Didn't think he was a good choice when he was originally cast (doesn't have the classic Bond look), but his performances have been the breath of fresh air that the character long needed. So glad I was wrong!

Agreed...Craig is the best Bond since Connery. Didn't think he was a good choice when he was originally cast (doesn't have the classic Bond look), but his performances have been the breath of fresh air that the character long needed. So glad I was wrong!

precisely. i was dead-set against craig... and he won me over in the first 15 minutes of CR. a shame he was kind of wasted in the 2nd installment, but even then his persona carries the movie. lloking forward to this one.

I know I'm in the minority but I did not care for Skyfall. Conversely, I think Quantum of Solace was one of the better bond movies, and certainly the best Craig Bond movie. The Tosca scene was awesome.

I know I'm in the minority but I did not care for Skyfall. Conversely, I think Quantum of Solace was one of the better bond movies, and certainly the best Craig Bond movie. The Tosca scene was awesome.

well, we won't agree in totality, but i thought that scene was extremely well done. and while Quantum was hardly my favorite bond, i have watched it no less than 10 times.. so not too shabby.:cool:

well, we won't agree in totality, but i thought that scene was extremely well done. and while Quantum was hardly my favorite bond, i have watched it no less than 10 times.. so not too shabby.:cool:

I think the key to QOS is that it IS a direct sequel to CR. I have found watching the 2 films back to back is pretty entertaining (if you have the full 4 hours to kill!)

I definitely fall into the "first Bond is favorite Bond" category . . . For Your Eyes Only has a special magic for me.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

I love QOS. btw, loved the call back to Spy Who Loved Me at the end, man falling off building while losing grip of tie . . .

this actor and this series of Bond films are the best Bond flicks to date. Cannot wait for the new release.

Really? Over Connery? I will grant you that production values are better now than in the mid 1960's, but....the movies were just so....exhilarating. I remember my father telling me he and my uncles would take off work to get in line for the movie theaters. In some places, the movie Goldfinger was being shown on several theaters to meet crowd demands. People were just that enthralled with the film(s).

Besides - has any character in any Bond film since Goldfinger uttered a more memorable phrase than "My name is Pussy Galore" ?

I really like Daniel Craig as Bond because he is able to reflect the Bond of the original books, much like Connery was able to. Bond, as Fleming wrote him in his books is an arrogant jerk, an obnoxious pain in the ass and a bit crass & crude. Craig's portrayal is edgier than Connery's. Connery's portrayal brought a bit more humor to the table which took some of the edge off at times.

Nothing against Moore, Dalton & Brosnan, but they came across as too polished to be Bond. I realize that some of that lies with the writing and direction as well.

On a similar note, I really love the direction that the recent Sherlock Holmes movies have taken with Robert Downey Jr. & Jude Law. They are more in character with the original Doyle stories where Holmes is an arrogant, boorish ass & Watson a tough and intelligent partner who often has to bail Holmes out. So many of the Holmes productions over the years sanitized Holmes and reduced Watson to an overweight and dim witted buffoon of a side kick.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great trailer--can't wait to see it.. I'll never forget waiting in a very long line at the State Theater on College Ave. to see Goldfinger.

Thanks for the great trailer--can't wait to see it.. I'll never forget waiting in a very long line at the State Theater on College Ave. to see Goldfinger.

one of my fondest memories from PSU was getting together with the "crew", making some martinis (shaken, not stirred), and going to see the premiere of Goldeneye at the theater on Hiester (is it a Chipotle now??)

Really? Over Connery? I will grant you that production values are better now than in the mid 1960's, but....the movies were just so....exhilarating. I remember my father telling me he and my uncles would take off work to get in line for the movie theaters. In some places, the movie Goldfinger was being shown on several theaters to meet crowd demands. People were just that enthralled with the film(s).

Besides - has any character in any Bond film since Goldfinger uttered a more memorable phrase than "My name is Pussy Galore" ?

Certainly "Pussy" was a name that cannot be forgotten!

For me, the current Bond brings a much more physical aspect to the Bond series. Much more than Connery. Plus the overall movie quality is much better

Waltz may earn another Oscar for this one:

I love Waltz, but after watching him in a few post-Inglorious Basterds films (Green Hornet, Django Unchained, Horrible Bosses 2, etc.), I've sort of found that he's essentially some version of Col. Landa, which would be impressive if we'd never seen the guy before. He was so stunning and unknown in IG that we didn't know at the time that's just how he acts - and I feel it's the same in every movie. I have no idea how he won an Oscar for Django to be honest - good performance, but not Oscar-worthy IMO. And looking back on the Django win, he beat Arkin (Argo) De Niro (Silver Linings Playbook), Hoffman (The Master), and Tommy Lee Jones (Lincoln). Honestly, all of those performances were better than Waltz's in Django.

As an aside, I realized I haven't seen Quantum of Solace and Moonraker. They worth it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT