ADVERTISEMENT

Ok, serious guesses who CJF brings in?

Helton would be a good choice. Comes from a coaching family. Coaches tight ends as well. Was also the special teams coordinator at Memphis when Stephen Gostkowski was there.

I like Ben McDaniels who'll be looking for a job. Was skeptical when he was named OC at Rutgers, but he did a nice job with limited talent.

As long as we don't have more of this...

With all of the coach firings and retirements there has to be a guy out there. I think he "already" has his guy and wants him in place for the bowl game practices.

Probably. No interim OC has been named, and that could be a clue pointing to you being right.

Reactions: m48tank
Would be willing to bet its someone we never heard of. The established OC's want to be HC. They will not be flocking to try to work with this OL again next year. Donovan may be relieved to be out of this situation.

Helton would be a good choice. Comes from a coaching family. Coaches tight ends as well. Was also the special teams coordinator at Memphis when Stephen Gostkowski was there.

I like Ben McDaniels who'll be looking for a job. Was skeptical when he was named OC at Rutgers, but he did a nice job with limited talent.

Over the years, I have found that your analyses of football/athletic personnel out there has been your strength. Therefore, I find your comments on this to be beneficial/insightful.

Reactions: NapaNit
I think the timing suggests he has someone. Otherwise, why not wait until after bowl game. He probably wants to get this cleaned up quickly for recruiting if nothing else.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
The Daily Collegian has a 'five names to watch' list to replace Donovan....

Mike Locksley: The current interim head coach and offensive coordinator for Maryland makes the most sense to me. Franklin and Locksley were previously assistant coaches together at Maryland and the two know each other well.

Franklin said earlier this season before the two teams played each other that he "has a lot of respect" for Locksley and deemed him a great coach and great recruiter.

Maryland's record would suggest otherwise, but the Terps have put up decent offensive numbers with average quarterback play this season. Because of his poor record, I doubt Maryland will retain him.

If I were putting my money on any name, this one seems the most likely.

Brian Schottenheimer: The Georgia offensive coordinator will probably get the axe after head coach Mark Richt was relieved of his duties Sunday.

Schottenheimer and Franklin of course have the SEC connection, and Schottenheimer likely won't be chosen to succeed Richt as the top dog in Athens.

He knows how to get and groom NFL-level talent, something that Penn State has also been known for in the past.

With his offensive and recruiting abilities, Schottenheimer seems like a decent fit for Franklin's staff.

Pep Hamilton: Much like Donovan, the former Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator was fired earlier this season after a shockingly slow start to the 2015 season with an offense that seemingly had all of the pieces needed to succeed.

Hamilton had previously held the same position at Stanford with quarterback Andrew Luck. He is widely regarded as a smart offensive football mind.

The two questions are 1. Does Hamilton desire to return to the college ranks? And would Hamilton's pro-style offense fit with the personnel at Penn State?

I'm not sure that the answer to either question is yes. This would probably be the name that makes the biggest splash, but I don't really see him diving into a situation that he has to reboot.

Tyson Helton: A bit of a long shot maybe, but Helton has all of the tools to be successful.

Currently the offensive coordinator at Western Kentucky, Helton has led the Hilltoppers to new heights on offense over the previous two seasons.

Western Kentucky finished the 2015 campaign as the 10th best team in the NCAA in total offense.

Before moving to Western Kentucky, Helton held the same position at Cincinnati, where he also led a prolific offense. He has a history of working with quarterbacks, too.

Though he wouldn't be a flashy name, he has shown that he produces results fairly quick and could be looking to move up to a more premier program.

Herb Hand: Though it seems a bit far-fetched, Franklin could elect to give one of his guys a shot at calling the plays. Hand served as the offensive coordinator while he was at Tulsa.

And though he has seemingly had success in recruiting for the offensive line, the same cannot be said for the results of his coaching on the field. Penn State has allowed more than 30 sacks in back-to-back seasons.

Many fans have grown to be displeased with Hand's O-line coaching abilities. If Franklin wants to keep him around but wants to explore other options to coach up the line, this could work. Hand is the run-game coordinator already, after all, and that has turned out pretty well this year at least.

I don't see this becoming a reality, but, hey, crazier things have happened.

I like all these but Hand. I would like to see him bring in some new blood to the family.

Larry Scott is the interim HC at Miami, and was the TE coach before Golden was let go. I don't think he has the guy to be the OC at PSU, but Donovan was the OC and TE Coach, so with a new OC and a possible shuffling of coaching positions, wonder if there is room for him on staff.

It would be good to get a guy with some South Florida recruiting connections.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Larry Scott is the interim HC at Miami, and was the TE coach before Golden was let go. I don't think he has the guy to be the OC at PSU, but Donovan was the OC and TE Coach, so with a new OC and a possible shuffling of coaching positions, wonder if there is room for him on staff.

It would be good to get a guy with some South Florida recruiting connections.
Wondering if Florida kids would opt to come to PSU? My guess is not too many.

Just to throw some other names out on the water:

Dan Roushar - TE coach with the NFL Saints and former OC for Mark Dantonio.
Eddie Gran - OC and RB coach for the Cincinnati Bearcats.
Darin Hinshaw - QB coach and running game coordinator for the Cincinnati Bearcats.
Sonny Cumbie - Co-OC & QB coach at TCU.
Ryan Day - QB coach for Philly Eagles and former OC for Boston College
Major Applewhite - OC/QB coach for Houston Cougars
Bob Bostad - OL coach for Tennessee Titans. Formerly coached at Wisconsin.
Kurt Roper - Senior offensive assistant for Cleveland Browns and former OC for Cutcliffe with Duke.

Also had previously mentioned Pep Hamilton, Tyson Helton and Mike Locksley on my list.

We need someone who can help re-establish ohio connections. Penn state in the past has always been able to pluck talented players from that state but its dried up in the past few years. That msu team yesterday was loaded with ohio players. Psu needs to get back in the game out there before we can close the gap w/ the big 3

How about the OC from Western Kentucky? They have a very explosive offense and it would be a huge step up.
Think he'll stick with Brohm at WKU. ---He might follow him to a place like UCF if Brohm is offered/takes that job. JMO

Over the years, I have found that your analyses of football/athletic personnel out there has been your strength. Therefore, I find your comments on this to be beneficial/insightful.

Thank you, but don't be so quick with the compliments. I'd take Kyle Flood as OL coach, but maybe that's because the bar has been set so low.

Think he'll stick with Brohm at WKU. ---He might follow him to a place like UCF if Brohm is offered/takes that job. JMO

Not if he has any ambition. At some point, you've got to grab the golden ring if it's offered. Should Brohm's star continue to rise he can always circle back.

The Daily Collegian has a 'five names to watch' list to replace Donovan....

Mike Locksley: The current interim head coach and offensive coordinator for Maryland makes the most sense to me. Franklin and Locksley were previously assistant coaches together at Maryland and the two know each other well.

Franklin said earlier this season before the two teams played each other that he "has a lot of respect" for Locksley and deemed him a great coach and great recruiter.

Maryland's record would suggest otherwise, but the Terps have put up decent offensive numbers with average quarterback play this season. Because of his poor record, I doubt Maryland will retain him.

If I were putting my money on any name, this one seems the most likely.

Brian Schottenheimer: The Georgia offensive coordinator will probably get the axe after head coach Mark Richt was relieved of his duties Sunday.

Schottenheimer and Franklin of course have the SEC connection, and Schottenheimer likely won't be chosen to succeed Richt as the top dog in Athens.

He knows how to get and groom NFL-level talent, something that Penn State has also been known for in the past.

With his offensive and recruiting abilities, Schottenheimer seems like a decent fit for Franklin's staff.

Pep Hamilton: Much like Donovan, the former Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator was fired earlier this season after a shockingly slow start to the 2015 season with an offense that seemingly had all of the pieces needed to succeed.

Hamilton had previously held the same position at Stanford with quarterback Andrew Luck. He is widely regarded as a smart offensive football mind.

The two questions are 1. Does Hamilton desire to return to the college ranks? And would Hamilton's pro-style offense fit with the personnel at Penn State?

I'm not sure that the answer to either question is yes. This would probably be the name that makes the biggest splash, but I don't really see him diving into a situation that he has to reboot.

Tyson Helton: A bit of a long shot maybe, but Helton has all of the tools to be successful.

Currently the offensive coordinator at Western Kentucky, Helton has led the Hilltoppers to new heights on offense over the previous two seasons.

Western Kentucky finished the 2015 campaign as the 10th best team in the NCAA in total offense.

Before moving to Western Kentucky, Helton held the same position at Cincinnati, where he also led a prolific offense. He has a history of working with quarterbacks, too.

Though he wouldn't be a flashy name, he has shown that he produces results fairly quick and could be looking to move up to a more premier program.

Herb Hand: Though it seems a bit far-fetched, Franklin could elect to give one of his guys a shot at calling the plays. Hand served as the offensive coordinator while he was at Tulsa.

And though he has seemingly had success in recruiting for the offensive line, the same cannot be said for the results of his coaching on the field. Penn State has allowed more than 30 sacks in back-to-back seasons.

Many fans have grown to be displeased with Hand's O-line coaching abilities. If Franklin wants to keep him around but wants to explore other options to coach up the line, this could work. Hand is the run-game coordinator already, after all, and that has turned out pretty well this year at least.

I don't see this becoming a reality, but, hey, crazier things have happened.
Outside of Helton (who I would like a lot) and potentially Locksley, that's a pretty awful list that the Collegian put together. Brian Schottenheimer? You've got to be kidding me - he was one of the worst offensive minds in pro football for years before his offense got Richt put in the ejector seat for good in one season at Georgia

Why not Dinardo or Mason from the BTN? They are both know-it-alls

Speaking of absurd blowhards, why not Ed Cunningham? He is the smartest football mind in broadcasting. Don't believe me, just ask him - he will tell ya.

One of the coaches on sirris college sports radio, likely Neuhisal, said that they felt that only a former QB should be calling plays. This rang as very true for me at the time. Of course, being a former QB is no guarantee of success, but I believe that they have a better insight into what is going on. It's like the theory that catchers make better baseball managers.

We need someone who can help re-establish ohio connections. Penn state in the past has always been able to pluck talented players from that state but its dried up in the past few years. That msu team yesterday was loaded with ohio players. Psu needs to get back in the game out there before we can close the gap w/ the big 3

I'd rather dominate Maryland/DC recruiting and push south to Tidewater VA with Locksley

Locksley just doesnt seem the right fit at psu. He can recruit for sure, but losing always seems to follow this guy around. penn state will get the right players from md and dc with or w/out locksley, so as long as psu can be a winning program.

Major Applewhite - Houston Cougars
Eliah Drinkwitz - Boise State
Mike Denbrock - Notre Dame
Sam Pittman - Arkansas (not an o-coordinator but would massively help the oline)

Don't know about an OC fit, but I'd like to see Munchak join the staff. O-line play could be a strength again.

FWIW, Donovan is listed as the recruiting coordinator for Tre Nixon, the 4 start WR from Florida. I think one of Nixon's other Final Five schools is Georgia, who just separated from Georgia. Not sure who his other final schools are, but wonder how this will affect this recruiting process.
Tre' talks and has talked almost exclusively with Gattis and Franklin........ Infrequently with Donovan. ------If Tre' ends up going elsewhere, it won't be because of Donovan.

My guess is Mike Locksley. 1. They have a long relationship in coaching. 2. He is an outstanding recruiter. 3. He is available now (15 practices to get started on next year). 4. His wife is attractive:rolleyes:

Maybe CJF will hire an offensive coach and take over the play calling duties himself?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT