ADVERTISEMENT

Nominate your favorite Sci-Fi movies

Spaceballs and The 5th Element, both could make my top 5 of comedies also.

But it's not the truth is it? It is just what NASA thought was the truth at the time.

SPOILERS:

He was told that once a livable planet was discovered, that the rest of Earth's population would be transported via the massive NASA space station. When in actuality, that was never the plan - the priority was always to re-populate using stored eggs. Unless I missed something (Anne Hathaway's character breaks this news to MM on the space ship).

Star Ship Troopers Sci Fi with female nudity. It has everything. What more can you want?

Last edited:
Thank you, Chickenman Testa, for mentioning Logan's Run. Loved that film when it came out, but I like it even better now. Watching sci-fi films THAT old, the "futuristic" sets and props are simply hilarious.

SPOILERS:

He was told that once a livable planet was discovered, that the rest of Earth's population would be transported via the massive NASA space station. When in actuality, that was never the plan - the priority was always to re-populate using stored eggs. Unless I missed something (Anne Hathaway's character breaks this news to MM on the space ship).

This is where it gets sort of interesting. Was the purpose of the future beings showing them those locations to populate a planet or to get him sucked in the black hole? I believe the latter. That's why all the planets sucked.

LdN

"A lot of science fiction, at least, would disagree with you. The ending of Interstellar seems to present a “bootstrap paradox.” In short, this is a type of time paradox in which a chicken sends an egg back in time, which egg then becomes that chicken."

Last edited:
This obviously does not qualify, but I'm a huge fan of the regenerated Doctor Who series, you know, from 2005 on. On the flip side, I have seen exactly one Star Trek episode from beginning to end, the one with Kirk falling in love with Joan Collins in 1930s Chicago.

X-The unknown 1956 - because of my age, this movie scared the heck out of me. I watched it in fear, though I did not run out of the movie theater like I did during The Birds 1963 when they showed the lady in the attic with no eyes. Actually, my buddy ran 1st and I followed to just make sure he was okay.
The Time Machine - 1950 I saw this sometime after it was released, however, because of my age, I wished I could have saved Yvette Mimieux.
Creature from the Black Lagoon 1954 - because of my age, I found Julie Adams swimming in that sheer outfit rather interesting

For the same reason I would vote for "Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)"... couldn't sleep for months.

Reactions: mn78psu83
This is tough, because there are different kinds of sci fi. There's what I consider more cerebral movies like Interstellar. There are sci fi movies that are more action movies, like the Terminator movies, or Jurassic Park series. There are movies that I would consider more horror than sci fi, like Bride of Frankenstein, Creature from the Black Lagoon. There are the alien invader movies, and then the kaiju movies like Godzilla, Pacific Rim, etc. then there's when the movies were made. You have to consider state of the art at the time for special effects, and grade on a curve, so to speak.

So, by categories:

50's Sci Fi:
Forbidden Planet
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Them!
Earth vs the Flying Saucers
It Came From Outer Space
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Tarantula
Invaders from Mars
This Island Earth
The Thing
The Fly
Kronos
Quartermass and the Pit (OK, 60's but has a 50's vibe but more grown up)
Invasion of the Saucer Men (this is a guilty pleasure--scared me as a kid watching it on TV)

SciFi/Horror:
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Island of Lost Souls (1932)
The Host (2006 - Korea)

Cerebral:
Interstellar
Moon (2009 movie that did not get enough attention)
AI
2001: A Space Odyssey
Contact
Solaris (1972)

Adventure:
Jurassic Park
Terminator 2
Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Star Trek (2009)
Minority Report
Planet of the Apes (1968)
Star Trek II
Star Trek III
Star Trek IV
Star Trek VI
Star Trek First Contact
Wall E
I, Robot

Aliens (non 1950's):
District 9
Close Encounters
ET
Alien
Aliens
The Abyss (well, they're not aliens, but... )
The Iron Giant (another film that didn't get enough recognition)
Super 8
Men in Black series
Signs

Kaiju:
Godzilla (original)
Godzilla Raids Again
Godzilla (2014)
Beast from 20,000 Fathoms
It Came From Beneath the Sea
Mothra
Rodan
Destroy All Monsters
Gamera films (another guilty pleasure from childhood)
Destroy All Monsters
Ghidorah

NOTE: with the Japanese films, I recommend you get the Japanese versions, not the American versions. Aside from the sometimes comic dubbing, the films were often cut significantly for the American market, and in some cases new scenes shot and characters added. The original versions are often far superior films, and often have a more serious tone to them. The American versions often yucked it up.

Interstellar is a great movie. There are some huge, glaring holes/issues with parts of the plot (you'll see what I mean) but it's otherwise pretty smart and ambitious - what you expect from Christopher Nolan.

I'll throw in Darren Aronofsky's 'The Fountain' as another smart, ambitious sci-fi move that sort of collapses under it's own intellectual weight, but is very good with an amazing score (Clint Mansell) and awesome performances from Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz.

Most recently, I loved 'Ex Machina' - smart, scary take on AI.

EDIT: Will add two more indie sci-fi flicks from director/actor Shane Carruth - mindbending time travel movie 'Primer' and, I actually have no category for this film, 'Upstream Color'. Maybe the most interesting writer/director working in film today.
I thought you'd be interested in this - maybe you've already seen it. I'm even more curious about the film now. Andrei Tarkovsky and Stanley Kubrick are my two favorite directors. For him to say that the vision of the film is worthy of Tarkovsky is a high compliment.

“It’s been a while since somebody has come out with such a big vision to things,” Tarantino told The Guardian. “Even the elements, the fact that dust is everywhere, and they’re living in this dust bowl that is just completely enveloping this area of the world. That’s almost something you expect from Tarkovsky or Malick, not a science fiction adventure movie.”

LINK: Tarantino on Interstellar

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
This is tough, because there are different kinds of sci fi. There's what I consider more cerebral movies like Interstellar. There are sci fi movies that are more action movies, like the Terminator movies, or Jurassic Park series. There are movies that I would consider more horror than sci fi, like Bride of Frankenstein, Creature from the Black Lagoon. There are the alien invader movies, and then the kaiju movies like Godzilla, Pacific Rim, etc. then there's when the movies were made. You have to consider state of the art at the time for special effects, and grade on a curve, so to speak.

So, by categories:

50's Sci Fi:
Forbidden Planet
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Them!
Earth vs the Flying Saucers
It Came From Outer Space
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Tarantula
Invaders from Mars
This Island Earth
The Thing
The Fly
Kronos
Quartermass and the Pit (OK, 60's but has a 50's vibe but more grown up)
Invasion of the Saucer Men (this is a guilty pleasure--scared me as a kid watching it on TV)

SciFi/Horror:
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Island of Lost Souls (1932)
The Host (2006 - Korea)

Cerebral:
Interstellar
Moon (2009 movie that did not get enough attention)
AI
2001: A Space Odyssey
Contact
Solaris (1972)

Adventure:
Jurassic Park
Terminator 2
Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Star Trek (2009)
Minority Report
Planet of the Apes (1968)
Star Trek II
Star Trek III
Star Trek IV
Star Trek VI
Star Trek First Contact
Wall E
I, Robot

Aliens (non 1950's):
District 9
Close Encounters
ET
Alien
Aliens
The Abyss (well, they're not aliens, but... )
The Iron Giant (another film that didn't get enough recognition)
Super 8
Men in Black series
Signs

Kaiju:
Godzilla (original)
Godzilla Raids Again
Godzilla (2014)
Beast from 20,000 Fathoms
It Came From Beneath the Sea
Mothra
Rodan
Destroy All Monsters
Gamera films (another guilty pleasure from childhood)
Destroy All Monsters
Ghidorah

NOTE: with the Japanese films, I recommend you get the Japanese versions, not the American versions. Aside from the sometimes comic dubbing, the films were often cut significantly for the American market, and in some cases new scenes shot and characters added. The original versions are often far superior films, and often have a more serious tone to them. The American versions often yucked it up.
I'm glad that you mentioned Contact. I'm a big fan of Jodie Foster and enjoyed that film.

Not much of a sci-fi fan, but I thought these movies were exceptional, regardless of genre.

Alien
Contact
Close Encounters of a Third Kind
Interstellar
Inception
Blade Runner
Ex Machina

I would pay good money to take a tour of Christopher Nolan's mind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT