Aliens
The Matrix

My top 5 in order are:

1. Stalker - Tarvosky
2. 2001 : A Space Odyssey - Kubrick
3. Blade Runner, The Directors Cut - Ridley Scott
4. Alien - Ridley Scott
5. Solaris - Tarkovsky

Can't stand sci-fi in general, but will watch snippets from Weird Science for two reasons...

The incredible Kelly LeBrock of old
The drunken blues club scene

Reactions: mn78psu83
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Almost anything by Roger Corman

Aliens (2nd in the trilogy) takes the cake for me. The second (1978) version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, with Donald Sutherland and Brooke Adams, is pretty damn scary. I doubt I've ever been more let down with a famous film than I was by 2001, A Space Odyssey.

The Best Science fiction tells a great story in a believable world. Kind of cuts out most of the films which are special effects based. My favorites are:

Classics:
Metropolis
Logan's Run
Planet of the Apes
The Forbidden Planet
The Day the Earth Stood Still

Recent:
Event Horizon
Interstellar
The Dark Knight

Also Fantasy is not Science Fiction. Star Wars is fantasy for the most part.

Terminator
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Flash Gordon
Star Wars
Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back
Aliens
The Matrix
The Matrix and Terminator are right there for me too. Inception is almost there for me, but I think it would have been better as two distinct movies, was a little overworked and I do not like having what's happened in a film explained to me as I watch. On the other hand, the concept and cinematography is great.

Last edited:
The Best Science fiction tells a great story in a believable world. Kind of cuts out most of the films which are special effects based. My favorites are:

Classics:
Metropolis
Logan's Run
Planet of the Apes
The Forbidden Planet

Recent:
Event Horizon
Interstellar
The Dark Knight

Metropolis! Have you seen the restored version? I have not, but it's on my list.
LINK: Ebert's review of Metropolis (restored version)

Interstellar is also on my list to see. You're the third person I've seen recommend it in the last 3 months or so.

Last edited:
Metropolis! Have you seen the restored version? I have not, but it's on my list.
LINK: Ebert's review of Metropolis (restored version)

Interstellar is also on my list to see. You're the third person I've seen recommend it in the last 3 months or so.

Interstellar is a sad story set in space. Great Science Fiction but also a compelling story. Have to have the right mindeset to understand it. Probably also need to have kids.

LdN

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
My top 5 in order are:

1. Stalker - Tarvosky
4. Alien - Ridley Scott
5. Solaris - Tarkovsky

1.) Dark City
2.) Blade Runner
3.) Star Wars & The Empire Strikes Back
4.) Matrix
5.) Terminator
6.) A Clock Work Orange

Did no one else enjoy this one????
th

Interstellar is a sad story set in space. Great Science Fiction but also a compelling story. Have to have the right mindeset to understand it. Probably also need to have kids.

LdN
We only have one, but I'll still give it a try.

The Thing From Another World…1951
Bride of Frankenstein
Alien
Close Encounters
Day The Earth stood still…Klatu Barada Nikto
It The Terror From Beyond Outer Space
Wrath Of Kahn
Planet Of The Apes…with Heston

Raging Cajun Redneck Gators.

After dumping bad moonshine into the bayou, mutant alligators are formed and threaten everything in their deadly path.

I'm not big on Sci-Fi movies, perhaps because, as a youngster in the late 50's, I saw The Blob and it scared the crap out of me. It was Steve McQueens 1st leading role. Check out the trailer below.

Last edited:
1951 The day the earth stood still. First Sci-Fi to make money and have a message for us all. Pre cursor to Star Trek

Modern: tie - Alien and Aliens

Classic: The Son of Frankenstein (Bela Lugosi as "Ygor" is his greatest role....more than his role of Dracula.)

Classics:
Metropolis
Logan's Run
Planet of the Apes
The Forbidden Planet

Recent:
Event Horizon
Interstellar
The Dark Knight

Love Logan's Run (and Jenny Agutter!)

Planet of the Apes, invasion of the Body Snatchers (1970s version), Omega Man, Children of Men, I am Legend

The Thing with Kurt Russell was scary as hell

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
Back To The Future
Starman
Star Trek IV The Voyage Home
Groundhog Day
The Man from Earth
Star Trek First Contact

King Kong (1933 version)
Them
Lost World (1925 version)
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951 version)
The Thing from Another World

My top 5 in order are:

1. Stalker - Tarvosky
4. Alien - Ridley Scott
5. Solaris - Tarkovsky

mn78psu83, I infer that you are a Tarkovsky fan. Have you seen his last film, The Sacrifice? It is not scifi but a beautiful work worth seeing. If you have the patience (it runs 3h25m), his Andrei Rublev is well worth a watch.

mn78psu83, I infer that you are a Tarkovsky fan. Have you seen his last film, The Sacrifice? It is not scifi but a beautiful work worth seeing. If you have the patience (it runs 3h25m), his Andrei Rublev is well worth a watch.
I am so glad to know that someone else here is a Tarkovsky fan. I have the Andrei Rublev DVD and have watched it 4 times. Twice by myself. It's hard to get anyone to watch a film that long, but is well worth it. I feel cleansed when it is over. I've seen all of his films, but The Sacrifice. I am in the middle of it on Netflix and will complete it one night this week. Then, as with all Tarkovsky films, I'll have to watch at least a couple of more times to be able to ask more questions - no definitive answers.:) Luckily, you can stream it and Nostalghia on Netflix. I recommend the latter too. As of now, Stalker is my favorite Tarkovsky film. I just reached the turning point in The Sacrifice and look forward to the second half. I have one friend who told me that the film was a life changer for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leo Ridens
X-The unknown 1956 - because of my age, this movie scared the heck out of me. I watched it in fear, though I did not run out of the movie theater like I did during The Birds 1963 when they showed the lady in the attic with no eyes. Actually, my buddy ran 1st and I followed to just make sure he was okay.
The Time Machine - 1950 I saw this sometime after it was released, however, because of my age, I wished I could have saved Yvette Mimieux.
Creature from the Black Lagoon 1954 - because of my age, I found Julie Adams swimming in that sheer outfit rather interesting

One I forgot to mention is THX-1138

Makes a compelling argument about what we believe and how much we follow what we are told.

The jail scene is one I'll never forget. How do we get out of here?

LdN

The original "The Thing from Another Planet" with James Arness and Kenneth Toby
Metropolis (Or, what our country will look like if the Republicans take over!!!!)
2001 a Space Odyssey
The original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"
Original Frankenstein
Forbidden Planet
Dracula with Gary Oldham as Dracula

We only have one, but I'll still give it a try.

Interstellar is a great movie. There are some huge, glaring holes/issues with parts of the plot (you'll see what I mean) but it's otherwise pretty smart and ambitious - what you expect from Christopher Nolan.

I'll throw in Darren Aronofsky's 'The Fountain' as another smart, ambitious sci-fi move that sort of collapses under it's own intellectual weight, but is very good with an amazing score (Clint Mansell) and awesome performances from Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz.

Most recently, I loved 'Ex Machina' - smart, scary take on AI.

EDIT: Will add two more indie sci-fi flicks from director/actor Shane Carruth - mindbending time travel movie 'Primer' and, I actually have no category for this film, 'Upstream Color'. Maybe the most interesting writer/director working in film today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interstellar is a great movie. There are some huge, glaring holes/issues with parts of the plot (you'll see what I mean) but it's otherwise pretty smart and ambitious - what you expect from Christopher Nolan.

I'll throw in Darren Aronofsky's 'The Fountain' as another smart, ambitious sci-fi move that sort of collapses under it's own intellectual weight, but is very good with an amazing score (Clint Mansell) and awesome performances from Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz.

Most recently, I loved 'Ex Machina' - smart, scary take on AI.

EDIT: Will add two more indie sci-fi flicks from director/actor Shane Carruth - mindbending time travel movie 'Primer' and, I actually have no category for this film, 'Upstream Color'. Maybe the most interesting writer/director working in film today.
Thanks. Much appreciated. On a different note, have you ever seen the film "Donnie Darko?" I think it might be for you.

Thanks. Much appreciated. On a different note, have you ever seen the film "Donnie Darko?" I think it might be for you.

Yup, loved Donnie Darko.

Also, wanted to add 'Equilibrium' - it's scary how much both '1984' and 'Brave New World' have influenced sci-fi today.

Also, wanted to add 'Equilibrium' - it's scary how much both '1984' and 'Brave New World' have influenced sci-fi today.

I'd make the argument that it's scary how much our world today resembles Brave New World

We've discussed Primer and Upstream before. Primer is the best time travel movie I've seen... although I did enjoy Looper recently.

Interstellar at it's core (spoiler) is a story about a man who has to leave his children and how difficult of a decision that is for him to make. Not great in the science department but on a story level I found it amazing

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I'd make the argument that it's scary how much our world today resembles Brave New World

We've discussed Primer and Upstream before. Primer is the best time travel movie I've seen... although I did enjoy Looper recently.

Interstellar at it's core (spoiler) is a story about a man who has to leave his children and how difficult of a decision that is for him to make. Not great in the science department but on a story level I found it amazing

Would be even more amazing if he were told the truth about the mission when he got it (my bet, he doesn't go).

ADVERTISEMENT