ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Draft (+ Sean Clifford Grievance) Thread

New NFL Draft thread, w/ 1st round starting tonight. Knock yourselves out.

(I like to keep things organized. Sometimes this board is like herding cats. LOL)
Celebrate In Love GIF by HBO Max

The actual line between the Eagles and Steelers is much further east. PA is split roughly 50-50 between the teams by population, not geography. SEPA and the Lehigh Valley are Eagles country, but growing up in Berks County, it was still majority Eagles, but there was a significant population of Steelers, too. By Harrisburg, it's at least 50-50 or slightly leaning Steelers and west of there is solid majority Steelers.
It’s not easily quantified, but you may be right. I think @lockhavenlion3 is probably on to something that the true lines relate to TV markets (CBS & Fox these days)

Bears fan as well, I'd like them to trade back if one of the 4 QBs (or heck maybe two) slips.

I'd also be fine with an OT or CB if they stay put. Carter is a real Sophie's choice and I'm half hoping he doesn't get to them at #9 so I don't have to do the mental gymnastics.

Reactions: WildTurk and js8793
Bears fan as well, I'd like them to trade back if one of the 4 QBs (or heck maybe two) slips.

I'd also be fine with an OT or CB if they stay put. Carter is a real Sophie's choice and I'm half hoping he doesn't get to them at #9 so I don't have to do the mental gymnastics.
@js8793
I'd be wary of Wright in an intense sports town like Chicago. Especially after beefing with some Cincy rando blogger about being called only a RT.

Someone like that is best suited for a Jacksonville or Indy or Charlotte, with a dimmer spotlight.

Reminder that the Rookie Pay Scale, aka the JaMarcus Russell Rule, is ruining college football.

Before the Rookie Pay Scale, you had to be INSANE to go pro early if you weren't extremely likely to go in the 4th round or higher. If you get drafted in the 4th or higher, and don't make the team, odds are everyone involved would get fired for making such personnel choices. But, in the old days, if you got drafted after the 4th round, there was a serious chance you'd be unemployed with nothing but a "I played college football" line on your resume.

Now you're almost insane to not go pro if you can get drafted at all.

Absolutely no way, for example, does Parker Washington, after his injury, go pro this year without the Raiders destroying finances with JaMarcus, and, thus, the Rookie Pay Scale.

I hope my Colts trade away Pick #4. Where's the Quarterbacks this year? No suck for Luck

To paraphrase a friend, the 5 quarterbacks getting first round love are all like stereotypes:

Bryce Young - competent but unexciting (And small)

CJ Stroud - incredibly efficient, highly successful, probably can't read

Will Levis - "has all the tools," but was never actually that good in college

Hendon Hooker - great production, played in a gimmick offense

Anthony Richardson - incredible athlete, terrible QB

Sean Clifford was flat out a better college QB than the last 3 of these, and I don't care what anyone says.

I hope my Colts trade away Pick #4. Where's the Quarterbacks this year? No suck for Luck
They took a project QB at 4. Good luck. I like their new coach Steichen and he's capable of maximizing Richardson. But the smartest guy in that org is Frank Reich. Wait, he's no longer there? Exactly.

Reactions: WildTurk
They took a project QB at 4. Good luck. I like their new coach Steichen and he's capable of maximizing Richardson. But the smartest guy in that org is Frank Reich. Wait, he's no longer there? Exactly.
A project QB is correct. 😳

I don't think Clifford was ever the best qb on the team

Penn State fans have been foolishly and stupidly shitting on Clifford for years. I don't care to bow to this nonsense.

Last year:
In 3 wins over top 50 defenses, QB A averaged 16.3/29, 200 yards, 1.3 touchdowns - his team won by an average of 28.3-18.3. He never came out of any of these games.

In 3 wins over top 50 defenses, QB B averaged 17.3/26.7, 197 yards, 2.0 TDS - his team won by an average of 43.3 - 9. His back-ups finished all 3 games and played most of the 2nd halves in 2 of them.

QB A is Caleb Williams (the least deserving Heisman winner of ALL TIME)
QB B is Sean Clifford

Franklin gave Clifford the Rose Bowl recognition in the 4th quarter because Franklin is intelligent and knows that Sean Clifford is a man and a stud, and this program's fans got way more with him than they ever deserved.

Last edited:
It’s not easily quantified, but you may be right. I think @lockhavenlion3 is probably on to something that the true lines relate to TV markets (CBS & Fox these days)
Adams and York always leans towards the Ravens. This area is historically more connected to Baltimore anyway. There are more Steelers fans than Eagles fans here.

I hate the Ravens, though.

Years ago, the Redskins were very popular in the area (obviously they trained in Carlisle too).

There are many, many Cowboy fans around but I guess that's everywhere in the US. A few of my older friends revered Tom Landry.

The Juniata Valley and environs is Steelers country.

The Cumberland Valley and Harrisburg are more or less even.

Lancaster is Eagles country for the most part.

Reactions: ccdiver
Penn State fans have been foolishly and stupidly shitting on Clifford for years. I don't care to bow to this nonsense.

Last year:
In 3 wins over top 50 defenses, QB A averaged 16.3/29, 200 yards, 1.3 touchdowns - his team won by an average of 28.3-18.3. He never came out of any of these games.

In 3 wins over top 50 defenses, QB B averaged 17.3/26.7, 197 yards, 2.0 TDS - his team won by an average of 43.3 - 9. His back-ups finished all 3 games and played most of the 2nd halves in 2 of them.

QB A is Caleb Williams (the least deserving Heisman winner of ALL TIME)
QB B is Sean Clifford

Franklin gave Clifford the Rose Bowl recognition in the 4th quarter because Franklin is intelligent and knows that Sean Clifford is a man and a stud, and this program's fans got way more with him than they ever deserved.
Not since Tom Brady, whom Michigan fans constantly booed in 1999, has a decent college QB been more unfairly maligned by his own fans than Sean Clifford.

Also, to anyone who really thinks Levis was better in college than Clifford: show yourself the door.

In fact, Brady and Clifford had shockingly similar college careers. Both were better than their predecessors (Brian Griese/Trace McSorley), but fans booed them for not being the same person; both were, it would later be proven, as good as their successors (Drew Henson at Michigan), but fans clamored for the successor. Both were in college for over 4 years. Both had their best game in their final game against a slightly favored conference champ (Alabama/Utah). Both were / are likely to be 6th round picks.

I'm obviously not saying Clifford is the next Brady, but their college careers are remarkably alike.

Giving good QBs a bunch of crap is, in fairness, a Penn State tradition. In 1985-86, fans clamored constantly for Matt Knizer to replace John Shaffer. In 1987 Knizer played and was considerably worse than Shaffer, as it turned out.

The only thing Clifford genuinely doesn't do well, in NFL terms, is throw people open. But I would have said the same thing about Jalen Hurts

Not since Tom Brady, whom Michigan fans constantly booed in 1999, has a decent college QB been more unfairly maligned by his own fans than Sean Clifford.

Also, to anyone who really thinks Levis was better in college than Clifford: show yourself the door.

In fact, Brady and Clifford had shockingly similar college careers. Both were better than their predecessors (Brian Griese/Trace McSorley), but fans booed them for not being the same person; both were, it would later be proven, as good as their successors (Drew Henson at Michigan), but fans clamored for the successor. Both were in college for over 4 years. Both had their best game in their final game against a slightly favored conference champ (Alabama/Utah). Both were / are likely to be 6th round picks.

I'm obviously not saying Clifford is the next Brady, but their college careers are remarkably alike.

Giving good QBs a bunch of crap is, in fairness, a Penn State tradition. In 1985-86, fans clamored constantly for Matt Knizer to replace John Shaffer. In 1987 Knizer played and was considerably worse than Shaffer, as it turned out.

The only thing Clifford genuinely doesn't do well, in NFL terms, is throw people open. But I would have said the same thing about Jalen Hurts
I opened this thread for some giggles and then Clifford was compared to Tom Brady. Somebody please lock this thread before I lose my mind lol.

I simply do not care what Penn State fans have to say about Sean Clifford.

This is the defensive strength of schedule PSU played in 2021:
#3 Wisconsin (road game - we won)
#5 Michigan
#9 Iowa (road game - Clifford was winning the game, but got hurt)
#19 Arkansas
#20 Rutgers
#23 Michigan State (road game)
#25 Ohio State (road game - we got screwed by an idiotic "snap infraction" BS call when up 7-3)
#27 Illinois (this loss is Yurcich's fault, he got too cute with play-calling)
#57 Indiana
#59 Maryland (road game)
#87 Ball State
Villanova

This is the most ridiculous strength of schedule I have ever seen. NINE - NINE!!!!!!!!!!!! - of the defenses Clifford faced were top 30.

If Sean Clifford had played the joke of a schedule Kenny Pickett had played in 2021, Clifford would have gotten the same stupid hype Pickett got.

#5 Michigan
#19 Arkansas
#20 Rutgers
#25 Ohio State (road game - we got screwed by an idiotic "snap infraction" BS call when up 7-3)
#57 Indiana
#59 Maryland (road game)
#87 Ball State
Villanova

This is the most ridiculous strength of schedule I have ever seen. NINE - NINE!!!!!!!!!!!! - of the defenses Clifford faced were top 30.

If Sean Clifford had played the joke of a schedule Kenny Pickett had played in 2021, Clifford would have gotten the same stupid hype Pickett got.
Thanks for killing the NFL DRAFT THREAD thread with your OCD.

Reactions: Shifty15

Shaffer lost 1 game (he wasn't the guy responsible for covering Oklahoma's TE either) in 2 years and did not get the respect he earned.
In fairness to Knizer though, the entire 86 team carried Miami's scalps to graduation and were gone.

Reactions: Verolion
I think Clifford will be at least a serviceable backup QB. He has a good head and experience so he will pick up offenses quickly. I really think injuries were his biggest issue and that last years version was much slower than the sophomore version. He looked like an aging NFL QB last season.

Clifford isn't getting drafted and isn't playing in the NFL. Sorry. He already has a post-football business with his brother in NIL consulting for college athletes. That's where his professional life lies (and I'm sure he'll be very successful at it...).

Reactions: Ski

#5 Michigan
#19 Arkansas
#20 Rutgers
#57 Indiana
#59 Maryland (road game)
#87 Ball State
Villanova

Sounds like you care just saying

Clifford isn't getting drafted and isn't playing in the NFL. Sorry. He already has a post-football business with his brother in NIL consulting for college athletes. That's where his professional life lies (and I'm sure he'll be very successful at it...).
Hmmmmmmm ….

Reactions: Hotshoe
I think Clifford will be at least a serviceable backup QB. He has a good head and experience so he will pick up offenses quickly. I really think injuries were his biggest issue and that last years version was much slower than the sophomore version. He looked like an aging NFL QB last season.
Injuries, plus defensive schedules. Seriously: Penn State played nine top 30 defenses in 2021. To put that in perspective, Kenny Pickett only played 2 top 30 defenses, and most defenses he played were 70th of worse (Pitt's schedule was a joke while PSU played a monster).

As for 2022, the numbers don't lie: Sean Clifford played better against a tougher schedule than the dude who won the Hypeman Trophy, Caleb Williams.

Does that mean I think he's better than Stroud, Young, and possibly Hooker? Absolutely not. But never at any point were Will Levis or Anthony Richardson better college QBs than Sean Clifford.

Going to Green Bay is awesome for Clifford.

Reactions: Hotshoe and hlstone
Keep huffing Dale Earnhardt exhaust fumes and keep shitposting the same stuff over and over and over and over and over.

We can read better than your rednecks buddies.

You have an opinion. We get it.
My "rednecks buddies" [sic] all think Sean Clifford sucks.

All I know is that there's a reason the head coach disagreed.

Have a nice day.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Keep cluttering the board with the same repetitive stuff.

They have meds for OCD.

@diggerpup (et al) - Unsolicited suggested process improvement to mangage thread content sans moderators.

1. We create and share a Login with the handle PleaseIgnoreMe.
  2. We summarily Ignore that handle from our normal user account.
  3. As needed to manage thread coherency, one logs in as PleaseIgnoreMe, create a new thread to re-direct the off-topic content, logout, and login normally.
With this process were in place, I believe everyone's life will be made a little brighter.

• Haha
Reactions: diggerpup
I need whatever drugs this guy is having to see Clifford as the third best qb in the draft lmao. Clifford’s got a weak arm, locks in one receiver and doesn’t progress well, sloppy with his footwork (especially since he doesn’t take any under center), and not as athletic as many athletic as the other 5 qbs taken in the first 3 rounds, i don’t know why you would try to convince yourself otherwise.
Not to mention you made excuses for every football not related to Clifford when I’m sure and i know there are plenty of games that Clifford’s not only made a bone headed mistake but also cost us the game.

You also fail to realize Clifford’s age plays a factor since he seemingly never got exponentially better. So please give me some drugs

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT