ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA fights back in defamation suit brought by Paterno estate

NCAA attorney Thomas Scott, of Killian and Gephart LLP, asked Scott Paterno to provide all documents concerning the university-commissioned independent investigation by former FBI director Louis Freeh and anything regarding the consent decree between the NCAA and Penn State, which allowed for the school’s unprecedented punishment.

cue Carnes in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .

Reactions: Zenophile
NCAA attorney Thomas Scott, of Killian and Gephart LLP, asked Scott Paterno to provide all documents concerning the university-commissioned independent investigation by former FBI director Louis Freeh and anything regarding the consent decree between the NCAA and Penn State, which allowed for the school’s unprecedented punishment.

cue Carnes in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .

They want all "utterances" as well. These people are idiots.

What????? The BoT Executive Committee has all that information and they aren't sharing it with anyone... :confused:

I was thinking the same thing. How the hell does Scott Paterno have access to this stuff? Tell the NCAA to GFY. Tell them to go talk to Keith Masser and he'll give you directions to Philly where you can look it up on microfilm.

UTTERANCES? They want them....all? I'm losing my f'n mind on this and they're gonna hafta pay.

Reactions: mbahses
Maybe Scott could take a page out of the BoT playbook and claim everything the NCAA requested is covered by ACP. Makes sense since Scott is an attorney.

Reactions: MichaelJackSchmidt
Does this mean that anyone on this board who spoke "publically" with Jay at one of his book signings could be deposed?

This is normal legal wrangling/process. I think the Paterno's are thinking, "Fine, we want the truth too. Happy to have your requests filled by all parties requeses thereof." I think the Paterno's are thinking more along the lines of " Holy shit this is getting real expensive to pursue." as they watch Wink Wink & Co unabashedly draw down the $5.5M the university paid JVP's estate.

Last edited:
As much as anything, I believe the intent of making this request has much to do with prolonging the lawsuit for as many years as possible. Run up the other side's bills and wear them down. It is a common strategy. The NCAA has plenty of $$ and will be happy for this to take a very long time.

Reactions: PSU Paul
As much as anything, I believe the intent of making this request has much to do with prolonging the lawsuit for as many years as possible. Run up the other side's bills and wear them down. It is a common strategy. The NCAA has plenty of $$ and will be happy for this to take a very long time.

Can a judge see through the bullshit and tell the ncaa to knock it off?

Reactions: mbahses
Can a judge see through the bullshit and tell the ncaa to knock it off?

It's a possibility. But we have Judges in Pa. that pull their nuts as much as the NCAA. Some of their requests are just flat out "ad nauseum"....lawyer speak for utterly ridiculous. "Utterances" my azz.

I think the 5.5 million goes a long way while the NCAA wonders what stupid thing to do next.

Trying to bury Paternos in discovery isn't going to work. To think they didn't anticipate every penny of this litigation is foolish. In their collective haste to capitalize and dispose of this issue the BoT and NCAA severely underestimated the Paternos.

Easy for you to say when you're not footing the bill.
Cruisin are you really rootin' for the NCAA and PSU rather than Paternos? Or just playing devil's advocate here? No doubt the game plan is to run up the bills and stall this out. They said as much after the Corman suit.

I was involved with a battle with the almighty IRS that lasted 2 years, they lost, and it cost 58 grand. They got nothing.Their "diminimus" offer was 140 grand, so who made out?

Last edited:
Cruisin are you really rootin' for the NCAA and PSU rather than Paternos? Or just playing devil's advocate here? No doubt the game plan is to run up the bills and stall this out. They said as much after the Corman suit.
IMO this is not about the truth as plaintiffs would have you believe. It's all about the money as it almost always is. I have no problem with PSU compensating Jerry's victims but when a party that received $5M+ in settlement of their contract goes out and sues the university for more...
then I have a real problem with that. And most others should too.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
IMO this is not about the truth as plaintiffs would have you believe. It's all about the money as it almost always is. I have no problem with PSU compensating Jerry's victims but when a party that received $5M+ in settlement of their contract goes out and sues the university for more...

You're an idiot. They already said any monies would go to charity. Really, go to bed or the bathroom. You need to relieve yourself.

I was involved with a battle with the almighty IRS that lasted 2 years, they lost, and it costed 58 grand. They got nothing.Their "diminimus" offer was 140 grand, so who made out?
Oh Crusin'. And here I thought I would give you the benefit of a doubt and thought you might actually believe your posts were serious. http://www.centredaily.com/2014/02/05/4019620/paterno-family-attorneys-name.html

Reactions: Hotshoe
For the Paternos this is not about money. You cannot put a price on justice and truth. What world do you live in? Cost/benefit decisions are made every day in every aspect of life.They have plenty of money to take this the distance. Unless you are a Paterno there is no way you know this. Everyone has a financial tipping point and the Paternos have theirs. If the family wants to make it about the truth, then Wink Wink should come forward and make it known that the family will donate the proceeds of any settlement to the university.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
Go NCAA! WHOOOOO!!!!! YAY Emmert! Go Ed RAY!!!!

Think of them as a pep squad or whatever . Wooo. Yeah. Um. right. ok

datebandkid_LargeWide.jpg

Root for the NCAA.... Looking out for the nurturing and protection of children everywhere.

Reactions: Lionjack99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT