ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA fights back in defamation suit brought by Paterno estate

IMO this is not about the truth as plaintiffs would have you believe. It's all about the money as it almost always is. I have no problem with PSU compensating Jerry's victims but when a party that received $5M+ in settlement of their contract goes out and sues the university for more...
then I have a real problem with that. And most others should too.

Liar.

this is funny. I'm willing to bet the NCAA actually has more Freeh documents than the Paternos. I can't wait to read the response from Wick. Sure judge we will hand them over. Hey Emmeret, can we have copies so we can hand them back over to you?

This is going to be so great when this backfires and PSU is forced to turn all this info over to the paternos. I can hear psu you now. But judge we have ATP. Tell that to your codefendant because they requested it. Hahaha it's like who's on first

Last edited:
Another famous CR/JJ spin from above. The NCAA didn't tell the Paternos no settlement, the Paternos told them no. So you can blow that PL lie out your ass CR.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Folks, just put jim carnes on your ignore list. It's the same tired garbage, the same tired lies and twists over and over again. There is no point to engaging him. He probably doesn't even believe half of what he posts, and even if he does, just ignore him.

carnes is getting what he wants. Every thread he posts in gets derailed into worthless countering of his bullshit. What does it accomplish? Folks counter him in one thread, then he spouts off similar crap in another thread and folks counter him again. Ignore him and focus on the real subject matter, not jim's twisted, false interpretation. It will only end if we all ignore him. Then he will have no audience here and he'll have to try his act elsewhere.

Folks, just put jim carnes on your ignore list. It's the same tired garbage, the same tired lies and twists over and over again. There is no point to engaging him. He probably doesn't even believe half of what he posts, and even if he does, just ignore him.

carnes is getting what he wants. Every thread he posts in gets derailed into worthless countering of his bullshit. What does it accomplish? Folks counter him in one thread, the he spouts off similar crap in another thread and folks counter him again. Ignore him and focus on the real subject matter, not jim's twisted false interpretation. It will only end if we all ignore him. Then he will have no audience here and he'll have to try his act elsewhere.

Sound advice. He, Jacobs and a few other MIA trolls have been playing the spin game for 3 years.

Reactions: jjsocrates
Sound advice. He, Jacobs and a few other MIA trolls have been playing the spin game for 3 years.

The ignore feature with XenForo is very effective. Folks need to use it. With trolls like jim carnes, you are never going to convince them that they are wrong. Additionally, even if you derive satisfaction from exposing jim's lies instead of letting them stand, understand that the satisfaction is temporary because he won't let up. He is a troll who will keep trolling, if not in the existing thread, then in another one. He loves the attention and he loves getting people riled up. What he does not want is to be ignored. We all need to ignore him because engaging him accomplishes nothing. His lying and our countering as it relates to sandusky, Paterno, the bot, etc. has been going on since 2011. We can't stop him from lying, but we can stop countering him.

The ignore feature with XenForo is very effective. Folks need to use it. With trolls like jim carnes, you are never going to convince them that they are wrong. Additionally, even if you derive satisfaction from exposing jim's lies instead of letting them stand, understand that the satisfaction is temporary because he won't let up. He is a troll who will keep trolling, if not in the existing thread, then in another one. He loves the attention and he loves getting people riled up. What he does not want is to be ignored. We all need to ignore him because engaging him accomplishes nothing. His lying and our countering as it relates to sandusky, Paterno, the bot, etc. has been going on since 2011. We can't stop him from lying, but we can stop countering him.

I've said that before. Keep fighting with a troll, and he owns you. Ignore an idiot, and you own him.

Reactions: jjsocrates
If I didn't see/read this stuff first hand, I would never believe it. I don't think Hollywood come up with a story as crazy as this whole issue is getting to be.

Re: The Paternos estate - if it was about the money, I am pretty sure that Sue would have agreed to settle, so she can cut her expenditures immediately. I don't know Sue Paterno, but I am confident in saying that she would not risk everything Joe and her have worked for over their life, on this trial. She had 5 kids and 21 (or so) grandkids that she is watching out for.

So, it's not about the money for the Paternos. Furthermore, if they run the risk of losing money, I am pretty sure a GoFundMe account could be created and donations would pour in quickly to cover any additional legal expenses.

The $5.5M pails against what Joe could have been paid as illustrated by the salaries of the coaches who followed him.

Reactions: Hotshoe
en

carnes is getting what he wants. Every thread he posts in gets derailed into worthless countering of his bullshit. What does it accomplish? Folks counter him in one thread, then he spouts off similar crap in another thread and folks counter him again. Ignore him and focus on the real subject matter, not jim's twisted, false interpretation. It will only end if we all ignore him. Then he will have no audience here and he'll have to try his act elsewhere.

He is a useful idiot. He gives us some insight into what losers like him think, and once in a while he loses his temper and does something rash and...well, for want of a better term, he exposes himself and his ilk for the laughable tools they are. I see it as sport.

It will not end if we all ignore him. It will end when he has been pushed out on a ledge that is getting narrower and narrower and then it finally runs out. THEN he will go down and we will never hear from him again. he is a crank and a fool, and discrediting him is easy. He will vanish into the golf bunker when his sh!t gets wrung out once and for all in these lawsuits. In the end he is no smarter than Masser or Dambly, despite his "pedigree."

the NCAA is entitled to discovery. would not be surprised to see some pushback on the volume, but in the end they will get a lot of stuff. that is just how this works, and I can assure you that nobody in the Paterno camp is the least worried about the volume or the process. It is routine.

I think one poster in this thread takes the blue pill just so he can pleasure himself. But he'd claim he's a good guy because he at least spends the night with his partner. :rolleyes:

Don't engage him......pity him.

I'd be more than happy to donate money to the Paternos' attorney's. If the Paternos finally prevail and win this lawsuit (which I'm confident they will), I'm pretty sure the final settlement would stipulate that the NCAA pays all of the Patenos' legal fees. I think that's how it work's. Any of you knowledgable lawyers on this board want comment on this?

If the NCAA thinks they can put the financial squeeze on Sue Paterno, that would enrage me even more than I'm already enraged. When does that scumbag, Mark Emmert get deposed?

IMO this is not about the truth as plaintiffs would have you believe. It's all about the money as it almost always is. I have no problem with PSU compensating Jerry's victims but when a party that received $5M+ in settlement of their contract goes out and sues the university for more....

CR66 -- have no idea what you real name is, and I don't really care -- because you are really stupid.

Most attorneys in significant or evidentially large cases will only receive a patently small fee for continued representation and then litigate for a contingency fee. In your brazen aggressive outlook, haven't you ever heard of this approach? Additionally, PSU is joined at the hip with the NCAA in recognizing and administering the NCAA mandated sanctions -- which included a slur on the reputation of one J.V. Paterno, since partially admitted was wrong (NCAA) yet admitted was the right thing to do (NCAA).

What would you expect an attorney to do -- or do you just gloss over some things and ignore others.

Reactions: simons96
I'm trying to fathom how much of an ass you have to be to believe that the Paternos lived humbly for decades, Joe taking a significantly lower salary than other college football coaches, donated and raised millions for the library . . . but they are now money grubbing deviants.

I'm trying to fathom how much of an ass you have to be to believe that the Paternos lived humbly for decades, Joe taking a significantly lower salary than other college football coaches, donated and raised millions for the library . . . but they are now money grubbing deviants.

Makes every bit as much sense as Freeh's conclusions.

If you are trying to fathom how much of an ass CaRnes Assada66 is...trust me it is unfathomable!

If you are trying to fathom how much of an ass CaRnes Assada66 is...trust me it is unfathomable!
m4bvr.jpg

NCAA attorney Thomas Scott, of Killian and Gephart LLP, asked Scott Paterno to provide all documents concerning the university-commissioned independent investigation by former FBI director Louis Freeh and anything regarding the consent decree between the NCAA and Penn State, which allowed for the school’s unprecedented punishment.

cue Carnes in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .
How is Scott Paterno hosting all of the documents between Freeh, the NCAA, and the BOT? That is a pure red herring...

Reactions: MichaelJackSchmidt
IMO this is not about the truth as plaintiffs would have you believe. It's all about the money as it almost always is. I have no problem with PSU compensating Jerry's victims but when a party that received $5M+ in settlement of their contract goes out and sues the university for more...
then I have a real problem with that. And most others should too.
Cruising, are you damned nuts? The BOT (and I will never say our BOT) trashed the history of Joe Paterno just because they wanted to. The 2011/12 BOT should be liable for attempting to destroy the legacy of a man that gave his life and fortune to our University.

CR66 -- have no idea what you real name is, and I don't really care -- because you are really stupid.

Most attorneys in significant or evidentially large cases will only receive a patently small fee for continued representation and then litigate for a contingency fee. In your brazen aggressive outlook, haven't you ever heard of this approach? My guess is that Spaulding and King didn't take on this case for altruistic reasons. This is not a personal injury nor a class action case where the outcome is predictable with a fair measure of certainty and the payout massive. Accordingly, S/K isn't doing this pro bono or for minimal billing rates. It's a case that most firms of this caliber would require a large retainer in which to charge time/materials against. The Thornburg, Clemente, and Berlin work didn't come cheap and it's unlikely that S/K is fronting these and other expenses to prosecute the case. Additionally, PSU is joined at the hip with the NCAA in recognizing and administering the NCAA mandated sanctions -- which included a slur on the reputation of one J.V. Paterno, since partially admitted was wrong (NCAA) yet admitted was the right thing to do (NCAA). JVP (a public figure) "might" have been libeled/slandered by FSS but that's for the courts to decide based on the evidence FSS accumulated and based its opinion. The NCAA and PSU relied upon FSS's work and if the estate believes JVP was slandered/libeled, its action should be against FSS and not the other parties. I believe Wink Wink has his work cut out for him proving to a jury or judge that PSU and the NCAA slandered/libeled JVP when all they did was rely on the representations in a report authored by an outside third party that they had every reason to believe was true and correct.

What would you expect an attorney to do -- or do you just gloss over some things and ignore others.

Last edited:
Keep it up and maybe the old lummox will start challenging people to a brawl on Old Main lawn again. Looks like he knows how to get
looks like Jim Carnes a.k.a. CR66 has disappeared since he has been outed....no?

No unfortunately he is still here acting up. I do look for the old oaf to show up as a "new" poster pretty soon though.

The NCAA and PSU relied upon FSS's work and if the estate believes JVP was slandered/libeled, its action should be against FSS and not the other parties. I believe Wink Wink has his work cut out for him proving to a jury or judge that PSU and the NCAA slandered/libeled JVP when all they did was rely on the representations in a report authored by an outside third party that they had every reason to believe was true and correct.

You mean the report that the BOT commissioned, influenced and had published without having read it? That one? It seems to me that the better question is how could a jury or judge allow the BOT to abdicate its fiduciary responsibilities in favor of a say-anything-for-a-buck clown, and then allow the BOT to shirk responsibilities for said clown's torts.

You mean the report that the BOT commissioned, influenced and had published without having read it? That one? It seems to me that the better question is how could a jury or judge allow the BOT to abdicate its fiduciary responsibilities in favor of a say-anything-for-a-buck clown, and then allow the BOT to shirk responsibilities for said clown's torts.

And to add on to that thought.....a report where the investigators didn't have subpoena power, used anonymous sources, and didn't even talk to the 7-8 closest people re: 1998 and 2001...yeah...what a real rock solid foundation for PSU/NCAA to be basing decisions and handing out sanctions on.....

And to add on to that thought.....a report where the investigators didn't have subpoena power, used anonymous sources, and didn't even talk to the 7-8 closest people re: 1998 and 2001...yeah...what a real rock solid foundation for PSU/NCAA to be basing decisions and handing out sanctions on.....

^^^^^This is the crux of the entire matter^^^^^

I understand that it was not possible to complete the investigation and draw conclusions at that point in time because of the pending legal cases. So I have an idea...DON"T COMPLETE THE INVESTIGATION AND DRAW CONCLUSIONS AT THAT POINT IN TIME!!!!

You mean the report that the BOT commissioned, influenced and had published without having read it? That one? Yes that one. The one the faculty insisted be immediately released so as to not suggest lack of independence. It seems to me that the better question is how could a jury or judge allow the BOT to abdicate its fiduciary responsibilities in favor of a say-anything-for-a-buck clown, and then allow the BOT to shirk responsibilities for said clown's torts. There is not a snowballs chance in hell that anyone can prove that the Board abdicated its fiduciary obligation. You may not like some of the decisions it made but whatever the decisions, they were made in the bests interest of the university as determined by the then sitting trustees and not you. Proving they weren't is going to be be near impossible. But maybe you can tell us how you would do that?

There is not a snowballs chance in hell that anyone can prove that the Board abdicated its fiduciary obligation. You may not like some of the decisions it made but whatever the decisions, they were made in the bests interest of the university as determined by the then sitting trustees and not you. Proving they weren't is going to be be near impossible. But maybe you can tell us how you would do that?

Sure. They recklessly hired a say-anything-for-a-buck clown to write a phony report that they influenced but never read, which ended up costing the University 100's of millions of $$$. In a real corporate setting, the 2011 BOT members would have resigned long ago and the university would be facing an avalanche of shareholder derivative litigation. How hard would it have been for the idiots to have 1) read the report, and 2) said "gee, we have some follow-up questions because some of this looks like a stretch"? Instead, they ended up hiring a guy to slander the University's employees and the University, itself. Their liability for these slanders isn't even dependent on whether they breached their fiduciary duties--it's a function of their hiring of Freeh.

Now maybe you can tell us why that's not a breach of fiduciary duty. And, when you're done with that, you can tell us why the guys who retained Freeh aren't responsible for his torts.

Last edited:
Sure. They recklessly hired a say-anything-for-a-buck clown to write a phony report that they influenced but never read, which ended up costing the University 100's of millions of $$$. In a real corporate setting, the 2011 BOT members would have resigned long ago and the university would be facing an avalanche of shareholder derivative litigation. How hard would it have been for the idiots to have 1) read the report, and 2) said "gee, we have some follow-up questions because some of this looks like a stretch"? Instead, they ended up hiring a guy to slander the University's employees and the University, itself. Their liability for these slanders isn't even dependent on whether they breached their fiduciary duties--it's a function of their hiring of Freeh.

Now maybe you can tell us why that's not a breach of fiduciary duty. And, when you're done with that, you can tell us why the guys who retained Freeh aren't responsible for his torts.

If that's your case, you'd be laughed out of court in heartbeat.

CR66, you are completely missing the legal strategy here...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT