ADVERTISEMENT

More Trouble Brewing in Ann Arbor?

Respectfully, no one is talking mob justice. There are clearly stated rules. Michigan broke them. Even most Michigan fans aren’t denying that.

The commissioner has the ability to levy punishment and fines. We’ll see what has been decided shortly.
BT handbook, rule 32, petitti in violation...reading is fundamental

• Haha
Reactions: Agoodnap
I'm not sure what NFL team would want to take him on. He wasn't doing all that well at UM b4 the cheating and his recent success is probably the result of the cheating. Then you have the negative PR of the cheating itself... Guess all it takes is just one of the good ol boys though.
Deshaun Watson go punished, and punted all the way to the bank.

#Just Win Baby!

• Haha
Reactions: bluehair666
BT handbook, rule 32, petitti in violation...reading is fundamental
32.2.2(C) NCAA Initiated Cases. The Compliance and Reinstatement Subcommittee shall review violations by member universities as determined by the NCAA and may impose penalties in addition to those imposed by the NCAA for any violations.
1. Where the NCAA initiates a preliminary or official inquiry with a member university the Conference will cooperate with university and NCAA representatives in the processing of that case through the normal NCAA investigation, hearing and appeal processes.
2. While the case will be processed through normal NCAA channels, the Conference Compliance and Reinstatement Subcommittee shall review the case and may impose additional penalties, if warranted, subsequent to the NCAA action.

This is what you are referring to^^^. It really isn't clear if a suspension, which happens all the time even in criminal matters, is consider a "penalty". For example, if Harbs was accused of participating in hazing, he could easily be suspended prior to the completion of the investigation if, for no other reason, to limit the damage. If he was NOT suspended and someone got injured, the legal liability would be great.

Lets say UM is guilty of stealing signs. What do you think UMs and the B1Gs liability would be if PSU, Purdue and Rutgers sues them?

Well, he’s the commissioner of the Big Ten. That’s 14 teams. Despite what some on the Michigan board think, they are no more important than anyone else. They are 1 of 14. No more, no less. The vote is apparently a strong 13-1.

If 13 ADs, coaches, and university presidents are pushing a commissioner to act over obvious and well documented cheating, he’s going to act. He has the authority to suspend, fine, and go further with the approval of the presidents and chancellors.

Whether he loses in court is unknown. I know Michigan fans are pushing that mantra but, frankly, they aren’t neutral arbiters on the subject. Petitti has plenty of Big Ten lawyers advising him as well (and IiRC he’s a Harvard lawyer himself??). Time will tell.

Plus, any lawsuits open Michigan computers, texts, emails, etc to discovery and depositions. There’s no hiding like Stalions and company can do with just the NCAA investigators. The Michigan posters always seem to forget the flip side of the lawsuit path.
Where are you seeing it’s 13-1? I know some have used the word many but I haven’t seen the 13-1 thing yet. Mind linking? I haven’t been able to read all the stuff out there because I’m in the middle of a move across the country. Thanks

This is going to become a chess match. I believe Michigan will file an appeal. I believe the Big 10 will counter-file, and the Big 10's decision will be upheld.

• Haha
You'd be wrong on that from a legal standpoint. Do the guidelines of the B1G and NCAA permit it? I am sure that if UM cheated and does not get punished, you will see some universities consider legal action.
I'm not wrong from a legal standpoint. They aren't "permitting it". You pretending there's an arbitrary "act by date" is where you're wrong.

I'm not wrong from a legal standpoint. They aren't "permitting it". You pretending there's an arbitrary "act by date" is where you're wrong.
there is an "act by date". It is also known as 'damages'. If an act creates damages, those damages are subject to recovery and part of the remediation of the lawsuit. This is especially true if the cause was known or should have been known and that party did nothing to stop it.

• Haha
there is an "act by date". It is also known as 'damages'. If an act creates damages, those damages are subject to recovery and part of the remediation of the lawsuit. This is especially true if the cause was known or should have been known and that party did nothing to stop it.
There isn't an "act by date". Define how you're determining a valid "act by date"
Aren't you the one that tried to claim Michigan wouldn't suffer damages if action is taken by the Big Ten?
What is the act here that is creating damage? What is the evidence that the information from the sign stealing is still being used and can impact games?

There isn't an "act by date". Define how you're determining a valid "act by date"
Aren't you the one that tried to claim Michigan wouldn't suffer damages if action is taken by the Big Ten?
What is the act here that is creating damage? What is the evidence that the information from the sign stealing is still being used and can impact games?
If UM was allowed to continue to play and it turns out the B1G and NCAA had proof they cheated, or enough evidence to draw that conclusion, they are open to civil action themselves. They didn't take corrective action in a timely manner and allowed further damage to result.

A company can't drag their feat letting damage continue week in and week out with no potential penalty.

If UM was allowed to continue to play and it turns out the B1G and NCAA had proof they cheated, or enough evidence to draw that conclusion, they are open to civil action themselves. They didn't take corrective action in a timely manner and allowed further damage to result.

A company can't drag their feat letting damage continue week in and week out with no potential penalty.
The NCAA nor Big Ten is "a company" nor is Harbaugh an employee of either. There's no action to be taken here. Ask yourself if what you're asking for here has ever happened prior.

I will mention one more thing that has happened in the last hour. UM has forwarded evidence of nine other schools arranging to have scouts go to games and gather info. That could be another reason why the Big10 is backing off. We can speculate if true or a complete fabrication. This guy has had the scoop on all Michigan rumors in the past. If Pettiti wishes to go forward he will have to deal with the MAD fallout. If this blows up the Big10, everyone will be angry because his primary job was to make money, not destroy the most lucrative and successful athletic conference in the country.

I will mention one more thing that has happened in the last hour. UM has forwarded evidence of nine other schools arranging to have scouts go to games and gather info. That could be another reason why the Big10 is backing off. We can speculate if true or a complete fabrication. This guy has had the scoop on all Michigan rumors in the past. If Pettiti wishes to go forward he will have to deal with the MAD fallout. If this blows up the Big10, everyone will be angry because his primary job was to make money, not destroy the most lucrative and successful athletic conference in the country.
So UM's defense would be "everyone does it?" I'll make sure I tell that to the traffic cop the next time I get pulled over or caught with MJ in states where it is still illegal.

So UM's defense would be "everyone does it?" I'll make sure I tell that to the traffic cop the next time I get pulled over or caught with MJ in states where it is still illegal.
But that's not the point being made here. The point is if the Big Ten takes action against them then they must against all programs.

But that's not the point being made here. The point is if the Big Ten takes action against them then they must against all programs.
I am OK with that. They will need to do an investigation into each team that is accused.

Works for me.

But if they've got the goods on UM, act. That has no bearing on UM's situation whatsoever.

This is what you are referring to^^^. It really isn't clear if a suspension, which happens all the time even in criminal matters, is consider a "penalty". For example, if Harbs was accused of participating in hazing, he could easily be suspended prior to the completion of the investigation if, for no other reason, to limit the damage. If he was NOT suspended and someone got injured, the legal liability would be great.

Lets say UM is guilty of stealing signs. What do you think UMs and the B1Gs liability would be if PSU, Purdue and Rutgers sues them?
zero, it's already a known fact that sign stealing is widespread and an accepted practice..if sign stealing was "bad", it would be prohibited without exception..

I am OK with that. They will need to do an investigation into each team that is accused.

Works for me.

But if they've got the goods on UM, act. That has no bearing on UM's situation whatsoever.
It does though if that changes how the executive committee will vote if they're worried about future penalties against their programs.

You realize that's what Michigan is doing here, right?

It does though if that changes how the executive committee will vote if they're worried about future penalties against their programs.

it shouldn't.

Just as the trooper shouldn't give me a lesser fine because "everybody does it".

If UM is guilty, make the play. The other schools are the other schools issue.

Yes, UM is trying to extort the NCAA and B1G without it being extortioned. As a poster perfectly stated, "Nice game you have their B1G, it would be a shame if anything happened to it.".

• Haha

stop making sense lando, they can't see the trees through the forest...

I have to believe that if every school was culpable, they would NOT have made such an empassioned case to Petiti last week. Right? These people are smart enough to know that truth WILL be found out in all circumstances. If Bret Bielemi made those angry comments this week about Michigan videoing in person, then he has never sent a coach/staffer to another teams' games.

And Michigan has had a litany of "excuses"...none of which have been "we didn't do this." They are trying to pull back a cover (or at least the fear of doubt of a cover being pulled back) on other programs.

But I think they're bluffing. No one else has done it...or if a school or two HAS done it, it's not been to the elaborate extent of Michigan. I hope this whole thing blows up in their faces. Corruption straight up to the president's office...all for a silly game.

I have to believe that if every school was culpable, they would NOT have made such an empassioned case to Petiti last week. Right? These people are smart enough to know that truth WILL be found out in all circumstances. If Bret Bielemi made those angry comments this week about Michigan videoing in person, then he has never sent a coach/staffer to another teams' games.

And Michigan has had a litany of "excuses"...none of which have been "we didn't do this." They are trying to pull back a cover (or at least the fear of doubt of a cover being pulled back) on other programs.

But I think they're bluffing. No one else has done it...or if a school or two HAS done it, it's not been to the elaborate extent of Michigan. I hope this whole thing blows up in their faces. Corruption straight up to the president's office...all for a silly game.
good point. I've never seen a UM message saying "we didn't do it". There has been no denial.

The same reason they are acting now. They have a strong case.
If the case is that strong why hasn’t there been action yet? Why hasn’t there been a suspension yet or fine? I don’t think any of us actually knows how weak or strong the position of either party is.

it shouldn't.

Just as the trooper shouldn't give me a lesser fine because "everybody does it".

If UM is guilty, make the play. The other schools are the other schools issue.

Yes, UM is trying to extort the NCAA and B1G without it being extortioned. As a poster perfectly stated, "Nice game you have their B1G, it would be a shame if anything happened to it.".
No leader is going to take action against someone if they think action will be taken against their program. That's illogical and poor leadership.

Works for me.

That is the point. The Big10 has not investigated the Stalions situation. The NCAA has evidence. The Big10 does not. The Big10 has more evidence on the other nine teams then they do on Michigan. The argument was not that Stalions should skate. The argument was always preemptive punishment prior to the completion of an investigation. I said at the beginning of this thread if it turns out Michigan staff helped out Stalions, I am fine with what the NCAA wants to do.

I would inquire I the NCAA did nothing when Wake Forest complained and why they would do nothing about the other nine schools.

There was an analogy made to speeding. We all speed because we tolerate the fine when we get caught. If we accumulate tickets, we drive slower. We do not expect to be thrown in jail for driving 80 in a 70. I also don't expect other speeders to complain to the cops that I am speeding. I also argued from the beginning that I believe any advantage is marginal at best. It appears that everyone does it because the NCAA like we know with Wake Forest does not really care. Now they do and Pettiti says its cheating beyond the pale and that he has to punish before guilt has been determined even though its not his job but the NCAA.

He is paid the dollars. He will have to use his Harvard mind to figure out how to survive this debacle of his making. He should have never listened to the mob. They never cared about him.

You're giving people too much credit.
They are bluffing (probably) but the Big Ten likely is as well. That 1230 timeframe has long passed.

That is the point. The Big10 has not investigated the Stalions situation. The NCAA has evidence. The Big10 does not. The Big10 has more evidence on the other nine teams then they do on Michigan. The argument was not that Stalions should skate. The argument was always preemptive punishment prior to the completion of an investigation. I said at the beginning of this thread if it turns out Michigan staff helped out Stalions, I am fine with what the NCAA wants to do.

I would inquire I the NCAA did nothing when Wake Forest complained and why they would do nothing about the other nine schools.

There was an analogy made to speeding. We all speed because we tolerate the fine when we get caught. If we accumulate tickets, we drive slower. We do not expect to be thrown in jail for driving 80 in a 70. I also don't expect other speeders to complain to the cops that I am speeding. I also argued from the beginning that I believe any advantage is marginal at best. It appears that everyone does it because the NCAA like we know with Wake Forest does not really care. Now they do and Pettiti says its cheating beyond the pale and that he has to punish before guilt has been determined even though its not his job but the NCAA.

He is paid the dollars. He will have to use his Harvard mind to figure out how to survive this debacle of his making. He should have never listened to the mob. They never cared about him.

Please stop your whining.

Nope. Does the B1G possess enough information to support a suspension? That is the only question here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT