ADVERTISEMENT

More Trouble Brewing in Ann Arbor?

Something I've wondered from prior situations like this. When the Patriots got caught, etc. Is there enough time between plays to pick up our (PSU) offensive signals, interpret them (by UM coaches) and signal them back to their Defensive players leaving enough time to adjust effectively? The UM D would need to learn 2 sets of signals, one changing every week. Seems like it has the potential to create a mountain of confusion.
How about opposing defensive calls. Michigan offense controls the time between plays in that situation.

looks like this is a big deal.

F84oP6rbwAAJmfl

Quote:

"
Two unidentified Michigan opponents this season told Yahoo they became aware that Michigan knew their play signs. The Athletic reported that Michigan State had been given “credible evidence” of the sign-stealing infraction.

The Big Ten Conference said it was informed of the NCAA’s investigation on Wednesday afternoon. It in turn notified Michigan’s Saturday opponent, Michigan State, and future opponents.

MSU initially informed the Big Ten it might consider not playing Saturday “out of concern for health and safety” of its players, but confirmed Thursday morning that it will play.

Quote:

"
Two unidentified Michigan opponents this season told Yahoo they became aware that Michigan knew their play signs. The Athletic reported that Michigan State had been given “credible evidence” of the sign-stealing infraction.

The Big Ten Conference said it was informed of the NCAA’s investigation on Wednesday afternoon. It in turn notified Michigan’s Saturday opponent, Michigan State, and future opponents.

MSU initially informed the Big Ten it might consider not playing Saturday “out of concern for health and safety” of its players, but confirmed Thursday morning that it will play.

Health and safety? Yeah bc they are about to get steamrolled.

• Haha
Reactions: bluehair666
Quote:

"

Whatever puishment is imposed, you can rest assured it will not directly impact UM's eligibilty this year. Too much to lose for the BIG and NCAA. Next year maybe. Maybe they immediately discontinue the practice and provide more competitive balance that way, but they will not be banned from the BIG champ game or CFP. Too much money on the table.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
doesn't matter, is it heresay, or does this supposed snitch have documentary evidence?..this isn't really that hard
We're not dealing with the same admissibility as a court of law there, Johnny Cochran. Nobody is going to prison over this.

Reactions: Psubiomed
Yeah, scUM is the real victim here! You are beyond repair.
We should be the last fan base to jump to any conclusions until we know the whole story

I don't care what happens to Michigan but we know better than to just assume how something is being reported is true

Reactions: bluehair666
Yeah, but the NCAA believes they have evidence that scUM is using in-person scouting to steal the signs - so in this case, it absolutely is illegal to steal the signs via the methodology used. The NCAA has said that they believe that scUM has used "vast network" of illegal scout's to illegally decipher upcoming opponents' sideline signals.
I completely agree and am in no way supporting Harbaugh here. Just pointing out that it's not the sign sealing in and of itself that is the issue. It's how the signs were obtained.

You cannot in person scout (which allegedly was done)
You cannot electronically record or transmit signs (this seems were UM might have a big issue because if any emails were sent about signs then you are electronically "transmitting" them).
You cannot electronically convey signs during a game (not sure this is being alleged).

Can we please stop pretending bowl games mean anything? The loss to TCU means something (a ton) but losing a bowl game is completely irrelevant especially with kids opting out.
Bowl games 100% mean something. To the players, to the coaches, to the staff, to the alumni, to the fans and to the record books.

Your position on this is absurdist and this has been widely demonstrated in the past.

The only person who would say "bowl games don't matter" is a fan of a team that sucks in bowl games.

We should be the last fan base to jump to any conclusions until we know the whole story

I don't care what happens to Michigan but we know better than to just assume how something is being reported is true
One interesting detail that happened overnight/this morning is that the staffer/analyst who is supposedly at the center of this is a USNA graduate (but apparently huge UM fan).

His internet presence (LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter) is completely deleted as of this morning (i.e. it shows up in google searches but the accounts have been deleted). Innocent people don't behave that way.

From his now deleted LinkedIn:

"

Connor Stalions - Football Analyst - University of Michigan

LinkedIn
https://www.linkedin.com › connor-stalions-230347174

Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States · Football Analyst · University of Michigan
Connor Stalions · Michigan Football Defensive Analyst | Marine Corps Veteran
---

Also, Connor Stalions is an amazing name. It sounds made up so it almost certainly has to be real.

I didn't see this...sorry if already posted. If "future opponents" are being notified that's a big deal.

F80U4QEWMAA5TE_

One interesting detail that happened overnight/this morning is that the staffer/analyst who is supposedly at the center of this is a USNA graduate (but apparently huge UM fan).

His internet presence (LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter) is completely deleted as of this morning (i.e. it shows up in google searches but the accounts have been deleted). Innocent people don't behave that way.

From his now deleted LinkedIn:

"

Connor Stalions - Football Analyst - University of Michigan

LinkedIn
https://www.linkedin.com › connor-stalions-230347174

Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States · Football Analyst · University of Michigan
Connor Stalions · Michigan Football Defensive Analyst | Marine Corps Veteran
---

Also, Connor Stalions is an amazing name. It sounds made up so it almost certainly has to be real.
Michigan has a pretty good naval architecture program.

Hiring a former marine with expertise in deciphering signs is Astros level cheating. Harbaugh goes from being clueless against his rivals to suddenly being a savant in the 2nd half of games is very suspicious. OSU, PSU & MSU combined last year the second half was 69-6. There is no way he shuts down CJ Stroud and OSU to just 3 second half points last year legitimately when UGA couldn't even do that.

A post season sanction is worthless. Either place them on probation right now and ban them from the B1G title and all post season, or don't bother.

Jimmy ain't coming back next year, this is Pete Carroll part 2. Hammer him now because not 1 single Michigan fan is going to give one single $hit about a National Championship that the NCAA declares null and void in August of 2024.

Reactions: tlbakernc and Eph97
Bowl games 100% mean something. To the players, to the coaches, to the staff, to the alumni, to the fans and to the record books.

Your position on this is absurdist and this has been widely demonstrated in the past.

The only person who would say "bowl games don't matter" is a fan of a team that sucks in bowl games.
No, those that claim they mean something are stuck in the past and living on bowl games because their teams aren't winning or competing for titles.

Just curious - what Bowl games have you attended in the past?
I've attended multiple--1990 Blockbuster Bowl, 1992 Blockbuster, 1995 Outback, 1998 Outback and 2005 Orange but bowls aren't the same as they were back then.

And actually your reply is what I've also said. People refuse to admit the bowls aren't meaningful because of the money and time they've invested attending them. They don't want to believe it was a waste. Still probably a great experience but the game itself was relevant.

Yeah, scUM is the real victim here! You are beyond repair.

He's a real treat isn't he? This douchebag goes onto other teams boards spewing his bullshit in defense of his beloved scUM.... and tells us how "crazy" we are??? I've never gone to the scUM Board to discuss or tell their arrogant-without-reason jagoff fans anything - nor do I have any desire to visit their boards..... but we're the "crazy" ones. LMFAO at this a-hole.

Reactions: tlbakernc
No, those that claim they mean something are stuck in the past and living on bowl games because their teams aren't winning or competing for titles.
Bowl games still matter - but only insofar as they count as either a W or an L on a team’s final record. They no longer matter nearly as much as they did before the playoffs, opt-outs, etc. Example was our play vs Kentucky after 2018 season - it sure looked like many of our players didn’t care about that game…

Bowl games still matter - but only insofar as they count as either a W or an L on a team’s final record. They no longer matter nearly as much as they did before the playoffs, opt-outs, etc. Example was our play vs Kentucky after 2018 season - it sure looked like many of our players didn’t care about that game…
Let's be honest--they count towards the record just they can sell fans on the games "counting". Kind of like MLB did with the All Star game because no one was watching.

And, yes, 2018 is a great example. I don't blame the coaching staff for losing that game. I will never criticize a coach for losing a bowl game. Playoff--yeah, that different and Harbaugh should be bashed for losing to TCU

Let's be honest--they count towards the record just they can sell fans on the games "counting". Kind of like MLB did with the All Star game because no one was watching.

And, yes, 2018 is a great example. I don't blame the coaching staff for losing that game. I will never criticize a coach for losing a bowl game. Playoff--yeah, that different and Harbaugh should be bashed for losing to TCU
Perhaps - but they do count as a W or an L. Maybe they no longer should - but while they do, it’s certainly better to win them. Now, would I trade a W vs UM or OSU for that Rose Bowl win over Utah? Every day and twice on Saturday. Winning the conference matters. The playoffs are a secondary concern, and out of our control. Beating Ohio State and UM are within our control.

Sign stealing, while not illegal, is considered bad sportsmanship. There are actually bylaws about sportsmanship although sign stealing is not explicitly mentioned.

I'd love to know how the NCAA figures that a Defense calling out fake signals is a Penalty - including clapping to simulate the QB (a PF Penalty I believe in the Sportsmanship Category), but it's perfectly legal to steal signals as long as you don't violate "scouting rules"??? How is that consistent - if it's illegal for a Defense to call out fake snap signals, then it should be illegal for a program to attempt to "steal" signals, playbooks, etc... at the Institutional Level as well.

Perhaps - but they do count as a W or an L. Maybe they no longer should - but while they do, it’s certainly better to win them. Now, would I trade a W vs UM or OSU for that Rose Bowl win over Utah? Every day and twice on Saturday. Winning the conference matters. The playoffs are a secondary concern, and out of our control. Beating Ohio State and UM are within our control.
Why is it better to win them? What difference does it actually make?
It's like saying it better to win a pick up basketball game--sure but it doesn't matter.
I agree with the rest

The players caring about the game doesn't give it meaning
People care about all kinds of things that don't have real meaning in the grand scheme
Yes, it absolute does. But quit trying to deflect attention away from the fact that Harbaugh is a cheat and a liar.

Why is it better to win them? What difference does it actually make?
It's like saying it better to win a pick up basketball game--sure but it doesn't matter.
I agree with the rest
PSU winning is always better than PSU losing. Better from a fan’s (or in my case, an alum’s) perspective.

I'd love to know how the NCAA figures that a Defense calling out fake signals is a Penalty - including clapping to simulate the QB (a PF Penalty I believe in the Sportsmanship Category), but it's perfectly legal to steal signals as long as you don't violate "scouting rules"??? How is that consistent - if it's illegal for a Defense to call out fake snap signals, then it should be illegal for a program to attempt to "steal" signals, playbooks, etc... at the Institutional Level as well.
I agree, just pointing out the rules. I predict that this scandal results in radio comms in helmets like in the NFL. QB and one defensive player. The only issue with that is that many teams still use the "check with me" type system to get audibles from the sidelines. But teams will change and adapt.

Yes, it absolute does. But quit trying to deflect attention away from the fact that Harbaugh is a cheat and a liar.
You can say whatever you want about him. You just then can't take issue with that didn't want for all the facts about Paterno. Can't have it both ways.

And no absolutely no meaning. Just like NFL preseason or the spring game. Just practice

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT