ADVERTISEMENT

Mizzou vs Va Tech

Cenzo was not nearly ranked top 5 at the time.
"yeah , well you know that's like uh your opinion man. " But seriously he won NCAA championship that year. Everyone except whatever rankings we are referring to had him #1.

Biggest upset of a highly ranked PSU wrestler was probably Jason's injury default. Guessing Van Brill was ranked in the 15-20 range, also was Elite.

Unless Hildebrandt was highly ranked when he was the 2 seed at B10s.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnstownsteel
Biggest upset of a highly ranked PSU wrestler was probably Jason's injury default. Guessing Van Brill was ranked in the 15-20 range, also was Elite.

I don’t count that. I’ll never forget that match. I was there and remember how sick I felt watching that unfold. Rutgers brought the boxing gloves that day. Was such a let down after Jason got hurt. Was hoping Cenzo and Bo would take it out on Lewis and Gravina and it didn’t happen. They both won but you can tell they were deflated.

Reactions: goldenanimal

Forgot about Drew. But don’t recall his ranking either at the time. His NCAA tournament was a let down which kind of qualifies though.

I don’t count that. I’ll never forget that match. I was there and remember how sick I felt watching that unfold. Rutgers brought the boxing gloves that day. Was such a let down after Jason got hurt. Was hoping Cenzo and Bo would take it out on Lewis and Gravina and it didn’t happen. They both won but you can tell they were deflated.
Yeah--DeLuca was perhaps the most pugilistic of them all vs. Zain too. Everyone was hot that dual, and then it just went sour.

Nick Lee was ranked 8th in the last coaches rankings before the NCAA Tourney and Ryan Diehl pinned him in the first round. Diehl was unranked.

Reactions: Callthestall
Kade Moore
Allen, TX

Any other good wrestlers from there?

An officiating question for the Andonian-Mauller match. When Andonian was in on a nice single and Mauller did the illegal cutback, did the official have to stop the match to award the penalty point or could he have allowed the action to continue per the below-listed rule in the NCAA Wrestling Rule Book?

Section 1. Assessing Match Penalties Art. 1. Penalty Table. Infractions of the rules are penalized in accordance with the rules listed in the rules book and as summarized on the Penalty Table found at the end of this rule. Art. 2. Indicating Infractions. A match shall not be stopped to indicate an infraction: a. When warning or penalizing either wrestler for stalling in the neutral position (Exception: second stoppage for interlocking fingers); b. When warning or penalizing for stalling the defensive wrestler or the offensive wrestler while in the rear standing position. c. For locked hands or grasping clothing committed during a successful scoring opportunity; d. For applying a figure-four scissors around the head from neutral during a successful takedown; e. For applying a figure-four scissors around both legs or the body from the offensive position during a successful reversal or escape; f. For illegal holds, unnecessary roughness or unsportsmanlike conduct during scoring situations, unless it is necessary to prevent an injury

This appears to be the only instance where the term "scoring situation" is used, so I am not sure how it is defined. "Imminent Scoring" is mentioned, but that applies to the following: When a match is stopped because of an injury to either wrestler during a scoring situation, and the referee determines scoring would have been successful if the wrestling had continued.

I never really thought that KOT would see Lewis, that would be a risky move up a weight to a competitor of that caliber would be risking injury, no?

Forgot about Drew. But don’t recall his ranking either at the time. His NCAA tournament was a let down which kind of qualifies though.
He was the 16 seed at nationals after that awful B10 tournament.

I can't find his pre-B10 ranking, but he was the 2 seed there behind Cruiseliner Nick. Other B10 125s with their NCAA seeds: 6 Barnett, 8 McKee, 9 Schroeder, 10 DeAugustino, 12 Heinselman, 13 Ayala. Good chance Hildebrandt was ranked higher than most/all of them prior to B10s.

I never really thought that KOT would see Lewis, that would be a risky move up a weight to a competitor of that caliber would be risking injury, no?
No. Guys routinely train with heavier teammates.

Otherwise, how did Zain survive his practice sessions with Mark Hall?

Reactions: Reslo and zzs006
No. Guys routinely train with heavier teammates.

Otherwise, how did Zain survive his practice sessions with Mark Hall?
Competing against a top tier athlete and training with a teamate, is there really that little of a difference?

So what your saying is PSU only does live practices 10-20 times a year?

No way. This was I believe Staroccis first or 2nd match. No way he was ranked that high
Very possible, dont forget he was undefeated in RS including winning Scuffle. If he WASNT ranked that high, he SHOULD have been.

I'll give it to Van Brill, he was battling that match, it was 5-4 Jason at the time of the injury. It still likely ends in a major or pin (not tech there wasn't enough time) because you know, Nolf is Nolf. That was one of the worst days for me as a PSU wrestling fan. That injury looked season ending and it was basically February already. Team race looked done but obviously you feel by far the worst for Nolf as a wrestler and human being.

Nolf I believe in his banquet said it was a season ending injury but Dan Monthley basically worked his magic touch yet again.

Reactions: PD4thespawn
I'll give it to Van Brill, he was battling that match, it was 5-4 Jason at the time of the injury. It still likely ends in a major or pin (not tech there wasn't enough time) because you know, Nolf is Nolf. That was one of the worst days for me as a PSU wrestling fan. That injury looked season ending and it was basically February already. Team race looked done but obviously you feel by far the worst for Nolf as a wrestler and human being.

Nolf I believe in his banquet said it was a season ending injury but Dan Monthley basically worked his magic touch yet again.
This ^^^^^. OTOH, Nolf's subsequent NCAA crown won on essentially one leg was one of the (many) best days as a PSU fan.

I looked up the match results on the PSU website:

@kingslayer_85 you were correct. Subjeck was unranked at the time when he beat #8 Joseph

@McScoreley Washington was also unranked when he beat #5 CStar

Edit:
@El-Jefe Hildebrandt was ranked #5 going into the Big Ten tournament
Wow. Not going to doubt you since I believe you researched it.

That being said, I thought Subjeck was one of Cenzos first few duals of his career, who did he beat prior to get ranked 8?

Same with Star. I thought that was his early in his career as well. Who did Star beat to get to 5 so quickly?

I looked up the match results on the PSU website:

@kingslayer_85 you were correct. Subjeck was unranked at the time when he beat #8 Joseph

@McScoreley Washington was also unranked when he beat #5 CStar

Edit:
@El-Jefe Hildebrandt was ranked #5 going into the Big Ten tournament
Ok. I knew I wasn’t crazy. Not sure where you got your stats from.

Star was not #5 when he lost to DJ. This was Stars first match his RSFR

Same with Cenzo. This was his 2nd match his RSFR year. No way he was ranked 8

Ok. I knew I wasn’t crazy. Not sure where you got your stats from.

Star was not #5 when he lost to DJ. This was Stars first match his RSFR

Same with Cenzo. This was his 2nd match his RSFR year. No way he was ranked 8

Straight from the Penn State wrestling website (links added for both below). I'm just repeating what I see on the computer screen. According to the match results, they were both ranked at the time. Considering their recruiting rankings and undefeated redshirt seasons, it's not surprising that they were ranked. Especially CStar with winning the Scuffle as a redshirt.

Link for below

#3 Penn State 24, Indiana 15
January 30, 2021 – at Northwestern University – Evanston, Ill.

125: Jacob Warner IND win by forfeit 0-6
133: #3 Roman Bravo-Young PSU dec. Kyle Luigs IND, 11-8 3-6
141: #2 Nick Lee PSU tech fall Cayden Rooks IND, 16-1 (TF; 5:00) 8-6
149: Graham Rooks IND dec. #10 Jarod Verkleeren PSU, 4-3 8-9
157: #11 Brady Berge PSU dec. Matt Ortiz IND, 5-2 11-9
165: #6 Joe Lee PSU dec. Nick South IND, 8-4 14-9
174: Donnell Washington IND dec. #5 Carter Starocci PSU, 10-9 14-12
184: #3 Aaron Brooks PSU maj. dec. Drayton Harris IND, 18-5 18-12
197: Nick Willham IND dec. Levko Higgins PSU, 10-3 18-15
285: Seth Nevills PSU pinned Rudy Streck IND, WBF (1:14) 24-15

Link for below

#4 Penn State 36, #12 Stanford 6
November 13, 2016 -- Rec Hall -- University Park, Pa.

165: Keaton Subjeck STAN dec. #8 Vincenzo Joseph PSU, 18-12 / 0-3
174: Geno Morelli PSU dec. #13 Jim Wilson STAN, 6-3 / 3-3
184: #3 Bo Nickal PSU pinned Austin Flores STAN, WBF (6:21) / 9-3
197: #16 Matt McCutcheon PSU dec. Josh Marchok STAN, 3-2 / 12-3
285: #14 Nick Nevills PSU dec. #10 Nathan Butler STAN, 3-1 / 15-3
125: #12 Nick Suriano PSU dec. #4 Connor Schram STAN, 3-0 / 18-3
133: #9 Jered Cortez PSU pinned Peter Russo STAN, WBF (2:40) / 24-3
141: #2 Joey McKenna STAN dec. #12 Jimmy Gulibon PSU, 6-2 / 24-6
149: #1 Zain Retherford PSU pinned Tommy Pawelski STAN, WBF (2:16) / 30-6
157: #1 Jason Nolf PSU pinned Paul Fox STAN, WBF (5:46) / 36-6
Attendance: 6,544 (30th straight sell-out in Rec Hall, 33 of 34 including BJC)
Records: Penn State 2-0, 0-0 B1G; Stanford 1-1
Up Next for Penn State: at Keystone Classic, Penn, Philadelphia, Pa. -- Sunday, Nov. 20, 9 a.m.

Straight from the Penn State wrestling website (links added for both below). I'm just repeating what I see on the computer screen. According to the match results, they were both ranked at the time. Considering their recruiting rankings and undefeated redshirt seasons, it's not surprising that they were ranked. Especially CStar with winning the Scuffle as a redshirt.

Link for below

#3 Penn State 24, Indiana 15
January 30, 2021 – at Northwestern University – Evanston, Ill.

125: Jacob Warner IND win by forfeit 0-6
133: #3 Roman Bravo-Young PSU dec. Kyle Luigs IND, 11-8 3-6
141: #2 Nick Lee PSU tech fall Cayden Rooks IND, 16-1 (TF; 5:00) 8-6
149: Graham Rooks IND dec. #10 Jarod Verkleeren PSU, 4-3 8-9
157: #11 Brady Berge PSU dec. Matt Ortiz IND, 5-2 11-9
165: #6 Joe Lee PSU dec. Nick South IND, 8-4 14-9
174: Donnell Washington IND dec. #5 Carter Starocci PSU, 10-9 14-12
184: #3 Aaron Brooks PSU maj. dec. Drayton Harris IND, 18-5 18-12
197: Nick Willham IND dec. Levko Higgins PSU, 10-3 18-15
285: Seth Nevills PSU pinned Rudy Streck IND, WBF (1:14) 24-15

Link for below

#4 Penn State 36, #12 Stanford 6
November 13, 2016 -- Rec Hall -- University Park, Pa.

165: Keaton Subjeck STAN dec. #8 Vincenzo Joseph PSU, 18-12 / 0-3
174: Geno Morelli PSU dec. #13 Jim Wilson STAN, 6-3 / 3-3
184: #3 Bo Nickal PSU pinned Austin Flores STAN, WBF (6:21) / 9-3
197: #16 Matt McCutcheon PSU dec. Josh Marchok STAN, 3-2 / 12-3
285: #14 Nick Nevills PSU dec. #10 Nathan Butler STAN, 3-1 / 15-3
125: #12 Nick Suriano PSU dec. #4 Connor Schram STAN, 3-0 / 18-3
133: #9 Jered Cortez PSU pinned Peter Russo STAN, WBF (2:40) / 24-3
141: #2 Joey McKenna STAN dec. #12 Jimmy Gulibon PSU, 6-2 / 24-6
149: #1 Zain Retherford PSU pinned Tommy Pawelski STAN, WBF (2:16) / 30-6
157: #1 Jason Nolf PSU pinned Paul Fox STAN, WBF (5:46) / 36-6
Attendance: 6,544 (30th straight sell-out in Rec Hall, 33 of 34 including BJC)
Records: Penn State 2-0, 0-0 B1G; Stanford 1-1
Up Next for Penn State: at Keystone Classic, Penn, Philadelphia, Pa. -- Sunday, Nov. 20, 9 a.m.
I didn’t doubt you had your source, I guess I’m just shocked that Star was ranked 5 coming into a year with no matches other than redshirt. Same with Cenzo at 8.

Just goes to show..anything is possible.

I don’t recall Jason or Bo being ranked that high after their redshirt years (1st or 2nd match in) Maybe they were?

I didn’t doubt you had your source, I guess I’m just shocked that Star was ranked 5 coming into a year with no matches other than redshirt. Same with Cenzo at 8.

I don’t recall Jason or Bo being ranked that high after their redshirt years (1st or 2nd match in) Maybe they were?
Jason was 3rd when he pinned Martinez. Zain was 8th when he beat Stieber.

Out of curiosity, I looked it up. Going into the Lock Haven dual (the 1st of that season), Bo was #14 and Jason #6.

Reactions: pish69

Oddly I was randomly listening today to the FRL that ranked the preseason weights that year . . . Bo was #17 heading into the season according to Pyle, despite him acknowledging that he suspected he would place significantly higher by March.

Wow. Not going to doubt you since I believe you researched it.

That being said, I thought Subjeck was one of Cenzos first few duals of his career, who did he beat prior to get ranked 8?

Same with Star. I thought that was his early in his career as well. Who did Star beat to get to 5 so quickly?
I mean, Joe Lee is #6 and Verk #10, so the rankings were a little off kilter there in general.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT