ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Menet to announce May 29

Two and a half hour drive or six and a half ... hope Mom and Dad don't like to drive! Fingers crossed and I have faith in CJF, but not counting any chickens at this point.

If Duke and Penn State are his final two choices, then he simply cannot go wrong with either University, academically and athletically. Both programs are on the upswing, for various reasons. Obviously, my allegiance is to Penn State but I think he cannot go wrong with either choice.

Cutcliffe is a good coach and great mentor. Duke has a nice campus but it's fanbase (99% non-alums) is purely all about Duke hoops and Coach K. Duke's football success peaked the past couple years and I don't see them sustaining this, even with a slight improvement in their recruiting. At best they will be middle of the pack in the ACC over the long haul. Plus they are fortunate when they put over 30,000 in their stadium, so the game day experience isn't great. It's a great academic institution but I don't think the alumni base and connections would help him down the road nearly as much as being in the PSU family. I see Menet blocking for Barkley, Robinson and Sanders and pretty quickly.

Duke (and just recently) meets the threshold of a program where Menet can have a good football experience -- they've won 19 games in the last 2 years, have a great coach in Cutcliffe, produced a 1st round draft choice Offensive Lineman this past year, and continuing to improve their recruiting --- now ranked #13 for the 2016 class (PSU currently #14, with fewer numbers). Gameday experience -- not so much.

And Penn State meets the threshold off-the-field -- strong academic programs with a great diversity of majors, in-state networking, closer for family and friends to visit, etc.

Should come down to just a feel for where he is more comfortable, with teammates and other students. Close call, probably a win for PSU.

Two and a half hour drive or six and a half ... hope Mom and Dad don't like to drive! Fingers crossed and I have faith in CJF, but not counting any chickens at this point.

Huh?

I haven't checked but are you sure Duke is only 6.5 hours from Menet's home?

Reactions: Hotshoe
No question Duke is an excellent school. BUT it is NOT a big time football school. They have improved, but my guess is that will be short lived. Sort of like North Carolina, "nice, nice, not thrilling, but nice"
PSU is a BIG TIME football school :) but we are not for everyone.

Reactions: Hotshoe
This would be a huge recruit for PSU if they can snag him. One of the top prospects in the state and country, and in a position of dire need. Duke & PSU is a weird final 2, that kind of makes me nervous since there's obviously something about Duke that he really enjoys. He has an unreal offer sheet and could almost go to any school in the country. The fact that Duke is still standing after he cut his list says something. Hopefully I am reading into it a bit too much and he commits to PSU.

Reactions: nittanyjoe
I guess it's possible that he liked Duke so much that he doesn't need to go back, but otherwise I am cautiously optimistic.

what is this "I'm ready to announce" crap. if you are ready to announce then just announce.
That is not current protocol. For anyone born after 1995, you must first announce that you are going to announce...announce...and then, once you've announced you must announce that you are done announcing, unless, of course, you are going to de-commit, in which case you need not announce that you will announce that you will de-committ, but you must again announce that will you announce if you will recommit, or commit to another program.
daze-male-cross-eye-dizzy-smiley-emoticon-000296-large.gif

Last edited:
He is a dead red can't miss OL prospect. The only kid in country to block Gary at any camp at this point. He will definitely be playing on Sundays someday. It's a good sign that he's not going to go to Duke again. I would be surprised if he picked the Blue Devils but not flabbergasted. I think it will be Penn State and he will end up as a 5* before its said and done. Which when Simmons gets his back will give us two and counting.

Any chance this would give us some help with Gary? I don't think it could hurt...
I don't know. I think he's just going to make his own decision. Reports were Gary was actually visibly steamed with him when they went head to head, mostly because it was the only time Gary has been slowed down. Having other good players in your class though never hurts.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I don't know. I think he's just going to make his own decision. Reports were Gary was actually visibly steamed with him when they went head to head, mostly because it was the only time Gary has been slowed down. Having other good players in your class though never hurts.
Man that is some good stuff. I would really like to land him. I don't think he would be the de-commit type. He would be a solid recruit. But I can't hate him for taking a hard look at the blue devils, that's a tremendous opportunity also.

Report on TOOS that he's going to Duke. Hope that is wrong. I do not have full access there, so maybe someone who does can check it out.

Report on TOOS that he's going to Duke. Hope that is wrong. I do not have full access there, so maybe someone who does can check it out.

It's pretty tenuous, but a poster on 247 reached out to a friend who lives in Exeter Twp. School District and has kids that go to school there. The kids are saying that Menet seems inclined toward Duke. So this info is about 4th-hand....take it FWIW.

I REALLY think this is the stuff that OB had no patience for. Recruiting is really an art form, "butt kissing" in public :)

It makes no sense, for me at least, that he'd schedule a presser to announce for us.

The fact that he is an in-state guy, though, gives it another angle. Dominate the state, and all that.

Menet may prefer to play in a smaller arena with FAR FAR FAR less pressure to be good.
I wish him well whatever he decides. Remember PSU is NOT for everyone. Expectations at PSU are "extremely" high, Franklin gets that. Which is the main reason I think we got a winner when he came on board. PSU can and will recruit Menet types "every" year.

So whatever :)

Better Duke than OSU Michigan or MSU

I agree. I don't feel bad about losing a kid who wants to go to a great academic school like Duke. Even if the kid wants to go across country for a great football program. The ones that hurt are the ones from our backyard that go to a Big Ten competitor.

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT