ADVERTISEMENT

KYPSW 2023-24

pawrestlersintn

Jan 26, 2013
The contest has three components: the dual season, B1G and NCAAs, with a corresponding increase in points. There is a podium for each of the individual parts, and then one Grand Champion walks away with the bragging rights that come along with winning a contest that takes place on an obscure sports message board. That, plus amazing prizes, which are still in the mail from all previous years. I know we have former winners who still go to the mailbox every day, anticipating their just rewards. I still don’t understand how the post office continues to lose those year after year.

Due to the long season, about 65 people usually start out in the first dual, but by the end, only 35, or so, have actually competed in all of the duals. Hopefully, you’ve all been working on your conditioning, and are ready to get after it.

Now, without further ado...

Here are the rules for the KYPSW Dual Season portion.

· Prior to each dual meet (usually by Wed night), I (or one of my able assistants) will post the expected PSU lineup*.

· Prior to the start of a dual, each participant in our competition posts his/her predicted winner and type of victory (dec, major, tech, or fall) for each match in the dual. Injury defaults or DQs count as falls. For each match prediction, you get 2 points for calling the correct winner, plus 1 bonus point for calling the correct type of victory. No points are awarded unless you call the correct winner.

· Predictions for each event must be posted in the KYPSW thread on whichever board you choose (and posted prior to the start of the event) to count for point-scoring. Please only post predictions on one board, PARTICULARLY if you have different names on each board.

· When the posted lineups suggest multiple possible matchups in a weight class and a member posts picks for only a subset of those possible matchups, no points will be awarded to said member for the weight class if the pick fails to include the matchup that ultimately takes place.

· When a PSU opponent forfeits a weight-class during a Dual, every FOS participant in that event will be awarded full point-value for the match (2 pts) and bonus (1 pt) [total = 3 pts]. This applies only to Forfeits where the opponent does not step onto the mat -- Injury Defaults and Disqualifications are not considered Forfeits (they will be counted as Falls, as noted in original text above).

· I will compile and score results, posting weekly updates.

· Highest scorer at season's end** is awarded bragging rights for being the FOS/BWI/ON3 Dual Season Champion.

* The lineup will not always be certain; when things look iffy, I will try to post multiple wrestlers at a given weight class, and participants should post their predictions for each wrestler. Generally, I will try to base the lineup on what is presented in the "Match Notes" published by PSU several days prior to the event.
** Tiebreaker Criteria -- Criterion 1: most correct picks; Criterion 2: most correct win types; Criterion 3: most FOS OR HVI OR whatever other board I run the contest on.

First.

2/9/24 @ Iowa

125 Davis or Howard dec Ayala
133 Nagao MD Teske
141 Bartlett Dec Woods
149 SVN TF Voinovich
157 Haines Dec Franek
165 Mesenbrink Dec Caliendo
174 Starocci TF Kennedy, Starocci Pin Arnold
184 Truax Dec Arnold, Truax MD Any Other
197 Brooks TF Glazier
HWT Kerk Pin Hill

Last edited:
The contest has three components: the dual season, B1G and NCAAs, with a corresponding increase in points. There is a podium for each of the individual parts, and then one Grand Champion walks away with the bragging rights that come along with winning a contest that takes place on an obscure sports message board. That, plus amazing prizes, which are still in the mail from all previous years. I know we have former winners who still go to the mailbox every day, anticipating their just rewards. I still don’t understand how the post office continues to lose those year after year.

Due to the long season, about 65 people usually start out in the first dual, but by the end, only 35, or so, have actually competed in all of the duals. Hopefully, you’ve all been working on your conditioning, and are ready to get after it.

· Prior to each dual meet (usually by Wed night), I (or one of my able assistants) will post the expected PSU lineup*.

· Prior to the start of a dual, each participant in our competition posts his/her predicted winner and type of victory (dec, major, tech, or fall) for each match in the dual. Injury defaults or DQs count as falls. For each match prediction, you get 2 points for calling the correct winner, plus 1 bonus point for calling the correct type of victory. No points are awarded unless you call the correct winner.

· Predictions for each event must be posted in the KYPSW thread on whichever board you choose (and posted prior to the start of the event) to count for point-scoring. Please only post predictions on one board, PARTICULARLY if you have different names on each board.

· When the posted lineups suggest multiple possible matchups in a weight class and a member posts picks for only a subset of those possible matchups, no points will be awarded to said member for the weight class if the pick fails to include the matchup that ultimately takes place.

· When a PSU opponent forfeits a weight-class during a Dual, every FOS participant in that event will be awarded full point-value for the match (2 pts) and bonus (1 pt) [total = 3 pts]. This applies only to Forfeits where the opponent does not step onto the mat -- Injury Defaults and Disqualifications are not considered Forfeits (they will be counted as Falls, as noted in original text above).

· Highest scorer at season's end** is awarded bragging rights for being the FOS/BWI/ON3 Dual Season Champion.

* The lineup will not always be certain; when things look iffy, I will try to post multiple wrestlers at a given weight class, and participants should post their predictions for each wrestler. Generally, I will try to base the lineup on what is presented in the "Match Notes" published by PSU several days prior to the event.
** Tiebreaker Criteria -- Criterion 1: most correct picks; Criterion 2: most correct win types; Criterion 3: most FOS OR HVI OR whatever other board I run the contest on.
Will your second post contain past winners . I’m trying to gage how valuable these bragging rights are.

For the tl:dr crowd, same rules as always, yes?

@pawrestlersintn awesome! I was bummed when you said you might not do it this year. Thanks!
New Zealand Reaction GIF by Green Party of Aotearoa New Zealand

#1 PENN STATE NITTANY LIONS (0-0, 0-0 B1G)
125 Robert Howard So. Cranford, N.J./Bergen Catholic 3-4
Gary Steen So. Hermitage, Pa./Reynolds 6-2
Braeden Davis Fr. Belleville, Mich./Dundee 7-0
133 #3 Aaron Nagao So. La Habra, Calif./Esperanza 4-0
141 #2 Beau Bartlett Sr. Tempe, Ariz./Wyoming Seminary (Pa.) 7-0
149 #2 Shayne Van Ness So. Somerville, N.J./Blair Academy 3-0
157 #1 Levi Haines So. Arendtsville, Pa./Biglerville 3-0
165 #16 Mitchell Mesenbrink Fr. Hartland, Wis./Arrowhead 7-0
174 #1 Carter Starocci Sr. Erie, Pa./Cathedral Prep 3-0
184 #2 Bernie Truax Gr. Oceanside, Calif./Rancho Buena Vista 3-0
197 #1 Aaron Brooks Sr.+ Hagerstown, Md./North Hagerstown 3-0
285 #1 Greg Kerkvliet Sr. Inver Grove Heights, Minn./Simley 3-0

#20 LEHIGH MOUNTAIN HAWKS (0-1)
125 #33 Luke Stanich Fr. Roxbury, N.J./Roxbury 5-0
133 #5 Ryan Crookham Fr. Hellertown, Pa./Saucon Valley 7-0
Connor McGonagle Jr. Danville, N.H./Timberlane 2-0
141 #10 Malyke Hines Jr. Kissimmee, Fla./Osceola 7-1
149 Matt Repos Fr. Palmyra, Pa./Central Dauphin 3-3
157 #24 Max Brignola Jr. Fair Haven, N.J./Rumson-Fair Haven 6-1
165 #32 Jake Logan Jr. New Rochelle, N.Y./New Rochelle 6-2
174 Thayne Lawrence So. Perryopolis, Pa./Frazier 2-3
184 Caden Rogers Fr. Lancaster, Pa./Malvern Prep 4-2
197 #10 Michael Beard Jr. Reading, Pa./Malvern Prep 7-1
285 #`12 Nathan Taylor So. Brookville, Pa./Brookville 7-2

PSU vs Lehigh

125: Davis dec Stanich; Stanich dec Howard or Steen
133: Nagao dec Any Lehigh
141: Bartlett dec Hines
149: Van Ness WBF Repos
157: Haines TF Brignola
165: Mesenbrink TF Logan
174: Starocci WBF Lawrence
184: Truax MD Rogers
197: Brooks MD Beard
HWT: Kerkvliet TF Taylor

Lehigh:

125- Stanich Dec Howard, MD Steen. Davis Dec Stanich
133- Nagao Dec Crookham, Crookham TF other PSU, other PSU Dec McGonagle
141- Bartlett Dec Hines, Hines MD other PSU
149- Van Ness TF Repos, other PSU Dec Repos
157- Haines MD Brignola, Brignola Dec other PSU
165- Mesenbrink MD Logan, Logan Dec other PSU
174- Starocci TF Lawrence, Lawrence Dec other PSU
184- Truax MD Rogers, other PSU Dec Rogers
197- Brooks Dec Beard, Beard Dec other PSU, Brooks Pin other Lehigh
285- Kerkvliet MD Taylor, Taylor Dec other PSU

PSU vs Lehigh

125 Stanich Dec Howard
125 Davis Dec Stanich
125 Stanich Dec Steen
133 Nagao Dec Crookham
133 Nagao MD McGonagle
141 Bartlett MD Hines
141 Kasak Dec Hines
149 SVN TF Repos
157 Levi MD Brignola
157 Brignola Dec PSU Other
165 Mesenbrink TF Logan
165 Bearclaw Dec Logan
174 Starocci WBF Lawrence
184 Truax Dec Rogers
184 Barr Dec Rogers
197 Brooks MD Beard
HVY Kerk MD Traylor

Last edited:
Penn State vs. LEHIGH

125- ANY PSU DECISION
133- CROOKAM DEC. NAGAO
141- BARTLETT MAJOR LEHIGH
149- VAN NESS TECH LEHIGH
157- HAINES FALL LEHIGH
165- MESSINBRINK TECH LEHIGH
174- STAROCCI FALL LEHIGH
185- TRUAX MAJOR LEHIGH
197- BROOKS dec LEHIGH
285- KERKVLIET FALL LEHIGH

Last edited:
#20 LEHIGH MOUNTAIN HAWKS (0-1)

Stanich (Leh) dec Howard
OR Stanich (Leh) dec Steen
OR Davis (PSU) dec Stanich
133 Nagao (PSU) dec Crookham
OR Nagao (PSU) dec McGonagle
141 Bartlett (PSU) dec Hynes
149 Van Ness (PSU) TF Repos
157 Haines (PSU) MD Brignola
OR Brignola (Leh) MD PSU Other
165 Mesenbrink (PSU) MD Logan
174 Starocci (PSU) Fall Lawrence
184 Truax (PSU) Dec Rogers
197 Brooks (PSU) MD Beard
HWT Kerkvliet (PSU) TF Taylor

Last edited:
PSU vs Lehigh

125: Davis MD Stanich or other PSU DEC Stanich or any PSU DEC Seymour.
133: Nagao DEC Any Lehigh
141: Bartlett DEC Hines
149: Van Ness TF Repos
157: Haines MD Brignola or Brignola DEC any other PSU.
174: Starocci Fall Lawrence
HWT: Kerkvliet MD Taylor

Last edited:
Lehigh

125 Davis Dec Lehigh
Or
Lehigh Dec Howard or Steen
133 Nagao Dec Lehigh
141 Bartlett Dec Lehigh
149 Van Ness TF Lehigh
157 Haines TF Lehigh
165 Messenbrink TF Lehigh
174 Starocci TF Lehigh
184 Truax Dec Lehigh
197 Brooks MD Lehigh
285 Kerk MD Lehigh

PSU vs Lehigh

: Any PSU DEC Stanich
149: Van Ness FALL Repos
157: Haines TF Brignola; Other PSU DEC Brignola
174: Starocci TF Lawrence
184: Truax DEC Rogers
197: Brooks MAJ Beard
HWT: Kerkvliet TF Taylor

Last edited:
Penn State vs. LEHIGH

125- ANY PSU DECISION

133- CROOKAM DEC. NAGAO

141- BARTLETT MAJOR LEHIGH

149- VAN NESS TECH LEHIGH

157- HAINES FALL LEHIGH

165- MESSINBRINK TECK LEHIGH

174- STAROCCI FALL LEHIGH

185- TRUAX MAJOR LEHIGH

197- BROOKS FALL LEHIGH

285- KERKVLIET FALL LEHIGH
Any chance you could take the Extra lines out of your picks?

Any chance you could take the Extra lines out of your picks?
Just a question to clarify:
Only possibilities listed in the match notes need to be picked, correct? For example from 141 to 285 there is only one wrestler listed for each team. If, say, Levi sits, you are not going to award @BigFella235 extra points and give the rest of us a zero because we all picked Levi to beat Brignola only. And if Levi wrestles and Lehigh wrestles Frinzi instead, the result is null for all, correct?

Only possibilities listed in the match notes need to be picked, correct? For example from 141 to 285 there is only one wrestler listed for each team. If, say, Levi sits, you are not going to award @BigFella235 extra points and give the rest of us a zero because we all picked Levi to beat Brignola only. And if Levi wrestles and Lehigh wrestles Frinzi instead, the result is null for all, correct?
If someone wrestles not on the list and one person has picked say..Levi to win and Lehigh to beat any other PSU for example and say and then Lehigh wins against say a back up PSU not listed, it is generally thrown out and the one person who chose Lehigh to win against any other PSU is now awarded points.. . IF ON THE OTHER HAND.. essentially everyone has Brooks winning and Lehigh throws out someone not listed.. and Brooks wins.. PA will often give 2 to everyone but no bonus.. He can correct me if I'm wrong but this is generally the case..

PSU vs Lehigh

125: any psu dec stanich
133: nagao dec crookham, nagao MD mcgonagle
141: Bartlett MD Hynes
149: Van Ness F Repos
157: Haines MD Brignola:
174: Starocci F Lehigh
285: Kerk TF Taylor

Mostly, but see my next post.

YOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Everyone please pick for other PSU at 157, Since we are unsure of Levi's statuss

PSU vs Lehigh

125: Davis DEC Stanich
125: Steen DEC Stanich
125: Stanich DEC Howard
133: Nagao DEC McGonagle
133: Crookham DEC Nagao
141: Bartlett MD Hines
149: Van Ness TF Repos
157: Haines MD Brignola
174: Starocci FALL Lawrence

If someone wrestles not on the list and one person has picked say..Levi to win and Lehigh to beat any other PSU for example and say and then Lehigh wins against say a back up PSU not listed, it is generally thrown out and the one person who chose Lehigh to win against any other PSU is now awarded points.. . IF ON THE OTHER HAND.. essentially everyone has Brooks winning and Lehigh throws out someone not listed.. and Brooks wins.. PA will often give 2 to everyone but no bonus.. He can correct me if I'm wrong but this is generally the case..
If the listed PSU guy doesn't go, the weight is generally thrown out. no one receives anything.

If the listed opponent doesn't go, but everyone is unanimous for the PSU guy, then everyone gets 2.

YOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Everyone please pick for other PSU at 157, Since we are unsure of Levi's statuss
pawrestlersntin - now your are confusing me.

Is your post above with the Lineups for both teams not the official match notes? I see only Levi listed. I thought the rule is if it ain't in the match notes we don't count the weight?

Simply saying any other PSU wrestler doesn't help. I would probably give a decision to Pierce, but a loss to Imram. If the Claw is small enough to come down he is a winner.

Last edited:
PSU vs Lehigh

125: Davis DEC Stanich or Stanich DEC Howard or Steen
133: Crookham DEC Nagao or Nagao DEC McGonical
149: Van Ness FALL Repos
165: Mesenbrink MD Logan
174: Starocci TF Lawrence
HWT: Kerkvliet DEC Taylor

Last edited:
My pics counting towards the game.
( .........doesn't count but what my college coaching instinct tells me lol)
125 Stanich Dec Howard
133 Nagao Dec Mcgonagle
141 Bartlet Dec Hines......crookham
149 Van Ness fall Repos.....md hines
157 Haines MD brignola
165 Mesenbrink MD Logan
174 Carter tf Lawerence
184 Truax Dec Rodgers
197 brooks Dec beard
Hwt Kerk Dec taylor

Lehigh

125 Stanich DEC Howard or Steen; Davis DEC Stanich
133 Nagao DEC Crookham
141 Bartlett MD Hines
149 Van Ness MD Repos
157 Haines MD Brignola
165 Mesenbrink MD Logan
174 Starocci TF Lawrence
184 Truax MD Rogers
197 Brooks DEC Beard
285 Kerkvliet MD Taylor

pawrestlersntin - now your are confusing me.

Is your post above with the Lineups for both teams not the official match notes? I see only Levi listed. I thought the rule is if it ain't in the match notes we don't count the weight?

Simply saying any other PSU wrestler doesn't help. I would probably give a decision to Pierce, but a loss to Imram. If the Claw is small enough to come down he is a winner.
Where there are known potential issues such as this, as long as enough notice is given, we can pick for other PSU wrestlers. Up to you how many you want to select from. "Other" works for all other, or you can pick five individuals, if you'd like. And, if it ends up being a cluster, I might throw it out, anyway.

Lehigh
125- Davis MD Stanich, Howard or Steen dec Stanich
133- Nagao dec
141- Bartlett dec Hines
149- Van Ness FALL Repos
157- Haines MD Brignola
165- Mesenbrink TF Logan
174- Starocci TF Lawrence
184- Truax FALL Rogers
197- Brooks Dec Beard
285- Kerkvliet MD Taylor

Last edited:
PSU vs Lehigh
125: Davis DEC Stanich or Stanich DEC Howard or Steen
141: Bartlett Dec Hines
149: Van Ness Fall Repos
165: Mesenbrink MD Logan
174: Starocci Fall Lawrence

Penn State vs. Lehigh
125: Any PSU DEC over Stanich
133: Nagao DEC over Crookham or MD over McGonagle
141: Bartlett DEC over Hines
149: Van Ness FALL over Repos
157: Haines MD over Brignola or Brignola DEC over other PSU
165: Mesenbrink MD over Logan