ADVERTISEMENT

ISU vs. Iowa (what do you think?)

Yeah it really drives home how lucky we are. I mean that match is NOT winning over any non wrestling fans who happened to flip it on. Boring defensive wrestling most of the way thru it.
Well it was only for people in Iowa and not for the rest of humanity so there's that lmfao

Reactions: danoftw
That was the first dual Hilton has sold out since 1982. Their fans only show up when they think they can win. Glad they were all there to watch today. Inserting Kennedy in the lineup and moving Gabe Arnold up to 184 was a good coaching move. Brands is 18-0 vs ISU now
Moving Arnold up was really smart and fun. Dresser moved Bastida up a weight last season to win a dual.
More coaches should do that.

I hate Iowa.
I for one love Iowa. I love hearing their fans bitch and moan almost every March. I love hearing them call for Brands head every March. I love watching them turn on their athletes every March. And I love watching one of their moms destroying her glasses in March.

The Iowa Hawkeyes are the gift that just keeps on giving....

One observation after watching the halftime interview with Dan Gable along with the documentary “The Dual” on PBS: this man has one of the biggest egos I have ever seen. Unlike every other legendary coach I can think of who are quick to give credit to their athletes, Gable *always* makes it about himself. Take a listen sometime and you will see exactly what I mean. It’s actually pretty funny.
You couldn't be any farther from the truth.

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
Sorry but I call it like I see it: Half that lineup just turtled up in fear and wrestled like you know what's. 125 was a joke, kid didn't shoot all match. Same at 57 until the end. Same at 174 and 184 and that 197 match was a joke too

They wrestled like p#$$ys other than 133, 141, 167 and hwy.

Moving Arnold up was really smart and fun. Dresser moved Bastida up a weight last season to win a dual.
More coaches should do that.
But now Brands has a brand new problem because if he sacrifices Kennedy to let Arnold go at 74 he's gonna lose team points AND maybe Kennedy

That reason is they were stupid
Ech was already gassed at that point and the outcome wasn't going to change with a challenge. With 7 weights to go they probably figured keeping the brick was more valuable

But now Brands has a brand new problem because if he sacrifices Kennedy to let Arnold go at 74 he's gonna lose team points AND maybe Kennedy
What are you talking about? Kennedy cannot shirt this year.

Sorry but I call it like I see it: Half that lineup just turtled up in fear and wrestled like you know what's. 125 was a joke, kid didn't shoot all match. Same at 57 until the end. Same at 174 and 184 and that 197 match was a joke too

They wrestled like p#$$ys other than 133, 141, 167 and hwy.
If you call it like you see it, you didn't see Chittum or especially Gaitan.

Not that I concur with calling college wrestlers pussies.

Reactions: Reslo
I for one love Iowa. I love hearing their fans bitch and moan almost every March. I love hearing them call for Brands head every March. I love watching them turn on their athletes every March. And I love watching one of their moms destroying her glasses in March.

The Iowa Hawkeyes are the gift that just keeps on giving....
Not this March. Will be happy to finish top 5

What are you talking about? Kennedy cannot shirt this year.
That's the point. Kennedy doesn't have a shirt and can't beat out Mikey at 165. His only option to start is at 174

If Brands puts Gabe in front of PK at 174 this year, then PK loses a year of eligibility and possibly transfers out after the year, for a most likely negligible change in team points because of it

Not this March. Will be happy to finish top 5
he's back eric cartman GIF by South Park

Things are tough in Hawkeye land when their fans rush over here to crow about beating the #10 team in the country.

Reactions: danoftw
Only a few mentally ill Hawk fans will expect Iowa to compete for a title. The majority know we will be lucky to finish top 5
Most Iowa fans are delusionally saying that we're still clearly 2nd place even with the suspensions, which means that even in our wildest dreams we know we can't catch up to Penn State. A Penn State team which will win somewhere between 8-10 matches in the dual and will come close to the nationals point scoring record.

The majority know we'll be in the hunt for a team trophy and that ISU was favored against us today. Beating ISU gives more hope for the former, but no one is predicting an Iowa team title this year

OK, entertaining dual. Dresser blew it and I would have LOVED a Hawkeye loss. But I’m frustrated with TV across most of wrestling.
1. They should always show the intros/handshakes. Its a great tradition in wrestling.
2. If you don’t show a running riding time, it’s not a first class wrestling production.
3. If you can’t get back from interviews or replays in time to see the whistle to start a period then you shouldn’t cut away.
4. Eliminate the half time after the 5th match. It’s a waste of time and I bet they lose viewers.

Take it up with Olympic and World Gold Medalist David Taylor :)
I don't necessarily disagree. At the time I thought Real got bailed twice, first by the refs not calling it and second by the ISU coaches not challenging

However, going through it again strategically, do you give one guy a lunger, who's already completely gassed going against a number 1, or do you save your brick for one of the remaining 7 matches, several of which are much much closer on paper?

With hindsight I think they were better off giving Ech a lunger and seeing if he can pull it off, but at the time, I feel they were probably thinking they were giving themselves the better odds overall

Last edited:
OK, entertaining dual. Dresser blew it and I would have LOVED a Hawkeye loss. But I’m frustrated with TV across most of wrestling.
1. They should always show the intros/handshakes. Its a great tradition in wrestling.
2. If you don’t show a running riding time, it’s not a first class wrestling production.
3. If you can’t get back from interviews or replays in time to see the whistle to start a period then you shouldn’t cut away.
4. Eliminate the half time after the 5th match. It’s a waste of time and I bet they lose viewers.
If we get more TV in wrestling I bet they start making officials check with TV before restarts. All about money.

The biggest issue in Woods match was the early whistle, not the call. It appears they stopped the match with 1 second left. Woods had just gone dive roll and maybe Echemendia covers, hooks a leg or crunches him or something and gets control in that last second. With the restored reaction time rule, I don’t think he ever had control and even a review wouldn’t have fixed the early whistle.

Same issue with Franek. Chittum is all the way out in front with 1 second left. He might have beat the clock (hard to tell), but we’re talking a few tenths of a second max and Franek gets reaction time.

On the bright side, now Iowa fans are going to get it into their heads that they can beat Penn State in February, which will sweeten the resulting massacre a bit.
Literally no Iowa fan (outside of class A troll Ironbird) thinks they are going to beat PSU in February or in March

Developing news coming from the Mineo camp. Swafford out for the year, so either Arnold or Kennedy going 184. More drama in Iowa City.

Go Hawks! That was ISU's best chance to win in a long time and they crapped the bed. It's a Hawkeye State! Always will be

Side Note- Dresser made several coaching errors that Tom Brands never would've. Possibly lost them the dual. 🍊Oranges🍊
Go away!

Whats the chances Starocci demands Cael bump him for Iowa? Please let it happen.
Who's the Penn State backup at 174?

I genuinely don't know. I'm asking because, would you rather Star beat Gabe at 184 to shut him up but potentially lose 174 against PK, or would you rather have a chance at preserving the shutout assuming it's been held up to that point?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT