ADVERTISEMENT

Is Penn State Freshman Levi Haines a Title Contender at 157 Pounds?

Intermat has PSU 31 points over second place Iowa in tournament standings so barring injuries Levi is really not needed this year. I think the main reason you would pull the redshirt is if it is true he can only hold 157 for this season in which case the redshirt may come in handy next year if the guys above him are not moving up.
I don't want to jinx anything, but I like the idea of injury insurance.

For most teams going for a team trophy (2nd on down), if they lose a solid starter it might cost them 3-10 points.

When half your team are 20+ pointers, that 30 point gap closes pretty quickly with the loss of only one of our studs.

Counter intuitive to some extent, but when you are on top, the cost of an injury is actually magnified.

That's underselling Model a little bit. He's a top 20 6th year senior, so probably at least 5 years older than Levi, and is 11-4 and has only lost to guys in the InterMat top 20 this year (Artalona x2, Chumbley, and Levi). He was a qualifier last year (and lost to Franek and O'Connor, so elite competition...) and has some quality wins (Gilcher, Kraisser). That was a great win for Levi in dominating fashion. While Model isn't winning it, 157 is open for the taking this year. If 157 had someone nearly unbeatable like 149 (Yanni) or was stacked like 165, I wouldn't give him much of a chance to win it, but 157? Sure, there's a chance (although my money isn't on exactly it yet, though...).
I’m not trying to put the kid down, but his only trip to nationals and only winning record was last year, as a 5th year senior, when he went 15-14 overall and 0-2 at nationals. And he’s now lost twice by MD this year, the other one to Artalona

All I’m saying is it was a nice win by Haines but I don’t see it as the stratospheric win that propels one into title contender status.

I don't see enough evidence to make an assessment in either direction. If this scenario is real, I suspect Levi shirts.
I agree, if Starocci stays at 174 and therefore Facundo at 165, then (assuming Levi wrestles the rest of this year and doesn't shirt this one) I think Levi will take his shirt year next year if he can't make 157. It seems like the reasonable thing to do. If Levi decides to challenge Facundo and wins and forces him out of the lineup, does he just sit for a year? Or potentially enter the portal? Nothing good happens in that acenario.

Am I the only one that thinks that Levi beats Facundo next year if they’re both at 165?
Strikes me as high level offense vs high level defense matchup. Examples: SVN - Paniro, DT - Dake, Q - Bosak (although he should've been hit for stalling). Levi probably needs to tighten up his D a bit like a PSU great near and dear to our Hearts.

I got some singles through some bone-headed buying I did. They are in the upper level 6 or 7 rows up. There aren't any bad seats in the BJC. Free to you if you want one.
I think my cousin got me some good seats for Michigan, they're in 130L, row BB 101,102 in BJC, are they where I think they're at?

I think my cousin got me some good seats for Michigan, they're in 130L, row BB 101,102 in BJC, are they where I think they're at?
130L is at the end in the lower level. I'm guessing two rows from the regular lower section. The higher in the alphabet you go, the lower the seats. For example row GG would be lower than BB.
Sections 101 and 102 are just around the corner in the lower section from 130L. They are on the same end.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
130L is at the end in the lower level. I'm guessing two rows from the regular lower section. The higher in the alphabet you go, the lower the seats. For example row GG would be lower than BB.
Sections 101 and 102 are just around the corner in the lower section from 130L. They are on the same end.
Thanks, guess I'll find out lol.

I got some singles through some bone-headed buying I did. They are in the upper level 6 or 7 rows up. There aren't any bad seats in the BJC. Free to you if you want one.
Thank you, my friend, I'll take you up on one ticket...whichever you think is best. I can't take em free though. At the very least I'll make a donation to PSU wrestling team.

Nobody remembers this guy but in the mid 70s penn state had a 190 pounder named Bill Bertrand. Bertrand was busted for streaking twice, and it wasn't unusual for him to take the mat after a long night drinking the night before...he was a total madman...
I remember Bill. I remember him on a road trip to Purdue in December going skinny dippy in a outdoor hotel pool on a cold night. He was a character!

Class act gents @82bordeaux and @NCHawk55 !
@NCHawk55 is not
a295c42a-efa1-46c6-88b8-28450bcdd31d_text.gif

W
I agree, if Starocci stays at 174 and therefore Facundo at 165, then (assuming Levi wrestles the rest of this year and doesn't shirt this one) I think Levi will take his shirt year next year if he can't make 157. It seems like the reasonable thing to do. If Levi decides to challenge Facundo and wins and forces him out of the lineup, does he just sit for a year? Or potentially enter the portal? Nothing good happens in that acenario.
Wonder if Levi could use an Oly next year?

Reactions: Lyco1990
Hard to say but of the two, I think Levi has more room to improve from where they are right now. I think Levi ends up with more hardware.
I’d give Levi a slight edge at the END of next year after he’s fully accustomed to the bump.
Either way, prefer if he goes this year and shirts next.

Im equally intrigued in how live go’s go between SVN and LeHa.

2024 criteria won't be announced until next year. If he's eligible and chooses to shirt, then he should take the Olympic shirt in order to keep the regular shirt available if needed.
Actually….. what if he were to place (top 2 isn't it) THIS year?

Great point but I don't see it as counter intuitive. It seems pretty obvious to me. Now if PSU could expect 3-5 national champs and everyone else 8 or better it wouldn't quite be the same.
I don't want to jinx anything, but I like the idea of injury insurance.

For most teams going for a team trophy (2nd on down), if they lose a solid starter it might cost them 3-10 points.

When half your team are 20+ pointers, that 30 point gap closes pretty quickly with the loss of only one of our studs.

Counter intuitive to some extent, but when you are on top, the cost of an injury is actually magnified.

Donation made my friend. And thanks again for being so kind...greatly appreciated. :)

Name: Anderson
Date: Jan 13th, 2023
Total Membership Dues / Donations Amount: $50.00
No goods or services have been received in return for this donation.
The Nittany Lion Wrestling Club is a tax-exempt, charitable, educational organization [IRS code Sec 501(c)(3)]. The NLWC Tax ID # is 25-1408517. Thanks so much for your support! If you ever have any questions about the Club, please contact us anytime. Follow the NLWC at https://www.nittanylionwrestlingclub.com.

Sincerely,

Nittany Lion Wrestling Club

info@nittanylionwrestlingclub.com

If Levi goes the rest of the year and the opponents send their projected starter each match, this is who he will face. Besides Lewan, not the best competition. The rankings are wrestlestat so don’t read into that.

01/20
#11 Lewan, Will
Michigan
01/22
#32 Saldate, Chase
Michigan State
01/27
#19, Siebrecht, Cobe
Iowa
02/03
#29 Gallagher, Paddy
Ohio State
02/05
#22 Gilcher, Derek
Indiana
02/10
#38 Clark, Andrew
Rutgers
02/12
#54 North, Michael
Maryland
02/19
#127 Elfvin, Trevor
Clarion
Andy Clark at #38 has a nice win at the scuffle over Artalona. My brother coached him at Collingswood a couple years ago. It’s his first year down at 157. Kid is tough and just figuring out who he is this year. Saldate has a history of being a tough out in big matches. And Seibrecht is dangerous. I agree with your assessment in Lewan being the true test here but they’re all good chances to build on very very quality opponents.

Donation made my friend. And thanks again for being so kind...greatly appreciated. :)

The Nittany Lion Wrestling Club is a tax-exempt, charitable, educational organization [IRS code Sec 501(c)(3)]. The NLWC Tax ID # is 25-1408517. Thanks so much for your support! If you ever have any questions about the Club, please contact us anytime. Follow the NLWC at https://www.nittanylionwrestlingclub.com.

Sincerely,

Totally not necessary. But I'm sure Thomas Gilman appreciates it.
That donation also entitles you to a free cocktail from me at Local Whiskey prior to the match!

Sincerely,

the matrix no GIF

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT