ADVERTISEMENT

Game Grades

bdgan

May 29, 2008
Offense B+

No turnovers and Allar took what the defense gave him. The only reason I don't give an A is because we're still struggling to run the ball (except for Pribula).

Defense A+

Only 4 first downs and 76 total yards. Can't get much better than that.

Special Teams D

Punt returns 3 for -3 yds and lucky to recover a fumble. Also fielded another kick at the 5 yd line. Thompson's punts only averaged 37.8 yds and a lot of those were due to the ball rolling because it was short. Felkins was 1-2 on FGs but would have been 1-3 if not for the leaping penalty. The KOs were good considering the weather and the coverage was good.

There's still some question about the OL/running game and the ability of our WRs to get deep but I can't imagine losing to NW or UMass. OSU will be tough in Columbus.

Speaking of Pribula.... I'd like to see him throw the ball down field. He sure looks like an aggressive elusive runner. I know he's in there after the opposing defense is spent but everybody knows he's going to run. I wonder if he can do that against good teams when it counts.

Offense B+

No turnovers and Allar took what the defense gave him. The only reason I don't give an A is because we're still struggling to run the ball (except for Pribula).

Defense A+

Special Teams D

Punt returns 3 for -3 yds and lucky to recover a fumble. Also fielded another kick at the 5 yd line. Thompson's punts only averaged 37.8 yds and a lot of those were due to the ball rolling because it was short. Felkins was 1-2 on FGs but would have been 1-3 if not for the leaping penalty. The KOs were good considering the weather and the coverage was good.

There's still some question about the OL/running game and the ability of our WRs to get deep but I can't imagine losing to NW or UMass. OSU will be tough in Columbus.

Speaking of Pribula.... I'd like to see him throw the ball down field. He sure looks like an aggressive elusive runner. I know he's in there after the opposing defense is spent but everybody knows he's going to run. I wonder if he can do that against good teams when it counts.
Agree but I am comfortable with Felkins. The FG he missed was very long and it didn't miss by much, IIRC. The one he did make was 42 yards, no gimme in rain and wind. We have to remember that it was a wet ball and difficult to kick. His ball is very solid: end over end with little waver. He strikes it well, like a golfer, it is just a matter of hold and aim. His extra points have been solid. I noticed few of our kickoffs went into the endzone in the first half after most all of them being deep in the endzone all year.

Offense B+

Defense A+

Special Teams D

Might need some more pluses for the defense. Played about a perfect game other than losing contain once.

But I couldn't agree more. If we get the running game going to what most of us thought it could be before the season it could end up being a very very good year.

Reactions: bdgan
Offense B+

Defense A+

Special Teams D

It has to be difficult to adjust to Beau after playing D against Drew all game. Polar opposites.

Reactions: bdgan and Obliviax
Offense B+

Defense A+

Special Teams D

Here's my grade for neophyte fan analytics that do not factor in @ 4 inches of rain and gale force winds on how the game was plan to be played and played.

Neophyte Fan Analysis - F minus
Coaching Staff Analysis and Plan - A++
Team overall execution of that A+ plan
A+

Primary premise for these grades. The coaches plan understanding there would be slip ups and dropped passes, passes the slipped the QBs release because of the weather.

Secondary premise. The neophyte fan analyst watched the game with his mind and eyes closed.

🙄

CBS gave us an A+ with this comment

Penn State's domination over Iowa in the 31-0 shutout was almost comical. Nittany Lions quarterback Drew Allar threw four touchdowns and the defense allowed just 76 yards. These teams could have played 12 quarters and Penn State still would have notched the shutout.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Thompson's punting probably wasn't fully appreciated. I would bet the staff gave him good grades. Iowa had 3 returns for 15 yards. DeJean is a solid return guy, holding him in check is a solid thing. He isn't Iowa's punter, but not many are.

Felkins doesn't inspire "guaranteed points", but I don't have fear with him yet.

Punt return is an adventure. Sanders takes unnecessary risks without having any rewards to his credit yet. We don't block well enough for his speed to come into play. Do we have a shiftier guy? Do we have a safer guy?

Reactions: Obliviax
CBS gave us an A+ with this comment

Penn State's domination over Iowa in the 31-0 shutout was almost comical. Nittany Lions quarterback Drew Allar threw four touchdowns and the defense allowed just 76 yards. These teams could have played 12 quarters and Penn State still would have notched the shutout.
Iowa gained 54 yards on their first 9 plays. Then some turnovers and PSU defense took charge. -1 yards on their next 4 possessions. Their confidence was shot.

Watched the game from ECU last night. Loved the outcome and the energy through 60 minutes. However, I didnt like what I've seen from the punting game. If I had to point to 1 thing that needs much more improvement, its the special teams.

Reactions: mcpat
Watched the game from ECU last night. Loved the outcome and the energy through 60 minutes. However, I didnt like what I've seen from the punting game. If I had to point to 1 thing that needs much more improvement, its the special teams.
The ball was wet and Saunders couldn't hang onto the punt he ran up to try and field. But he's done a good job of just tracking and catching the ball on the run and in traffic for fair catches. But it was disappointing to see Saunders just shy away from trying to field the next punt after the botched one. If he can't come back from a mistake then put someone else back there. The Iowa punter really did sail some great punts and with the drizzle making the ball wet it was a tough night to come through the game clean on so many punts.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
Thompson's punting probably wasn't fully appreciated. I would bet the staff gave him good grades. Iowa had 3 returns for 15 yards. DeJean is a solid return guy, holding him in check is a solid thing. He isn't Iowa's punter, but not many are.

Felkins doesn't inspire "guaranteed points", but I don't have fear with him yet.

Punt return is an adventure. Sanders takes unnecessary risks without having any rewards to his credit yet. We don't block well enough for his speed to come into play. Do we have a shiftier guy? Do we have a safer guy?

Felkin's low trajectory on some kicks is a concern to me. He has the leg so there is no need to line drive his kicks. Time will tell.

I was speaking with a former PSU long snapper today. He said the missed Felkins FG was due to a high snap and the resulting difficulty in getting the ball down and laces spun. I trust his take.

Reactions: mcpat
I was speaking with a former PSU long snapper today. He said the missed Felkins FG was due to a high snap and the resulting difficulty in getting the ball down and laces spun. I trust his take.
I hope that is the case. We don't have a large number of field goal attempts on which to base a conclusion.

So that’s interesting because I read or listened to something asking CJF whether they’d be making a change at the long-snapper position last week. Maybe folks with more football knowledge than me are seeing something concerning with the snaps.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT