ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Top Ohio State recruit Quinn Ewers considering skipping senior HS season…

Unless Ewers comes in and wins the job, why would anyone be paying a backup QB big NIL money?

I'm strongly of the opinion that none of the 3 on the roster are lighting things up and Day breathed life into this to potentially get his best possible option on the field.

This is no different than professional draftees singing shoe/apparel deals prior to ever putting on a professional uniform. Gotta lock up the talent before someone else does, even if some don't pan out.

I'm not sure it would have mattered in the end. Giving the players anything less than they felt they were entitled to would have reached this point eventually anyway. Yes the NCAA sucks but I'm not sure how anyone could have stopped this train once the lawyers and players figured out what they were missing out on. I can somewhat understand the perspective of the NCAA. This opens the door for a lot of things that are going to be impossible to regulate, so the NCAA tried to be strict and keep things black and white where they could be monitored and regulated (ignoring their wildly inconsistent enforcement which is a different problem). Now it's the wild west. Between NIL, playoff expansion, conference realignment and transfers I suspect in 5-10 years we aren't going to recognize this sport anymore.
Not entirely. Over the years, Jeff Kessler gave the NCAA any number of opportunities to reach an amicable compromise. But, no, Dumb Donnie Remy had something to prove and here we are today (and now he's going to fvck up the VA).

I haven't been keeping up with this story but surely OSU plans to redshirt the kid, right? A true freshman is one thing but you can't put a 17 year old kid under center in the B1G can you? I know kids are bigger and stronger than when I was in school but can't see how he'd be physically or emotionally ready for that after a Junior year of HS to prepare.

I haven't been keeping up with this story but surely OSU plans to redshirt the kid, right? A true freshman is one thing but you can't put a 17 year old kid under center in the B1G can you? I know kids are bigger and stronger than when I was in school but can't see how he'd be physically or emotionally ready for that after a Junior year of HS to prepare.
I've been reading about it on Eleven Warriors and this can't be a good thing if Ewers enrolls. Think about it, OSU will have all of their QBs this year with freshman status - 2 redshirt and 2 true freshman but they can't say NO to Ewers - I guess. That kid just seems to be a cancer and about to disrupt the chemistry. Look for OSU to recruit another 2022 QB - especially since a couple of those blue chippers transfer out after this year

Pretty sure Ewers is 18.

Some think they are going to go after Allar now for the '22 class (labeled as Day being a savage on 11W).

Some Barton guy from another Buckeyes site brought forth the first rumors of this ("a kid who isn't on the roster will likely start in '21 for the Buckeyes"), got trashed for weeks over it, and now some are coming around to be like, "huh, he might have known something".

If this kid was already planning to enroll in January, I don't think 5 months of NIL money is going to be all that much for a kid some seem to think is going to RS.

He's got just as much college football experience as the other 3. He ain't coming to lift weights. He's coming to play. How it works out is to be seen.

Pretty sure Ewers is 18.

Some think they are going to go after Allar now for the '22 class (labeled as Day being a savage on 11W).

Some Barton guy from another Buckeyes site brought forth the first rumors of this ("a kid who isn't on the roster will likely start in '21 for the Buckeyes"), got trashed for weeks over it, and now some are coming around to be like, "huh, he might have known something".

If this kid was already planning to enroll in January, I don't think 5 months of NIL money is going to be all that much for a kid some seem to think is going to RS.

He's got just as much college football experience as the other 3. He ain't coming to lift weights. He's coming to play. How it works out is to be seen.

I'm not worried about Allar. No 2022 QB with any sense would entertain committing to a program with three 5* QBs in the class immediately before them -- one of whom is being described as a generational talent. Even if Allar were an OSU fan -- and I've seen no indication he is -- he's not walking into that logjam.

I think OSU will probably focus on getting a top-tier 2023 QB instead.

Reactions: lazydave841
I'm not worried about Allar. No 2022 QB with any sense would entertain committing to a program with three 5* QBs in the class immediately before them -- one of whom is being described as a generational talent. Even if Allar were an OSU fan -- and I've seen no indication he is -- he's not walking into that logjam.

I think OSU will probably focus on getting a top-tier 2023 QB instead.

I don't think it makes sense how it currently sits with the Buckeyes. I don't see how they don't have one QB gone within the next 7 days and another in the portal before week 1.

I'm not personally worried about Allar, but it has been brought up.

I think they do pursue a '22 QB because even in some best case scenario (Stroud/Miller wins the job, the other transfers, McCord is content being #2, Ewers is intent in a RS year competing to start next year), you need another QB in the on deck spot.

I don't think it makes sense how it currently sits with the Buckeyes. I don't see how they don't have one QB gone within the next 7 days and another in the portal before week 1.

I'm not personally worried about Allar, but it has been brought up.

I think they do pursue a '22 QB because even in some best case scenario (Stroud/Miller wins the job, the other transfers, McCord is content being #2, Ewers is intent in a RS year competing to start next year), you need another QB in the on deck spot.

In a related story the Texas State Legislature just called an emergence meeting to reconsider allowing Texas HS players to receive NIL led by Legislators who are Aggies and Longhorns. Meanwhile Legislators who are SMU alums were seen shaking their heads in disbelief.

The irony of the SMU alums' reactions should not be lost.

I mean, this company is in the autograph selling business. How much will they charge for an autograph to get their $1.3mm worth out of him?

giphy.gif

I mean, this company is in the autograph selling business. How much will they charge for an autograph to get their $1.3mm worth out of him?

giphy.gif

They probably don't know. My guess is that if we were able to read the contract, we'd find that it is for as much as $1.3mm depending on certain conditions being met (number of appearances, number of autographs signed, etc). I'd further guess that if Ewers doesn't become a star, he won't have oportunities to max out the value of the contract.

Me too. Waiting for everyone to jump on him for being selfish and abandoning his teammates.

While probably inevitable, schools and the NCAA could have delayed this free for all by putting together a better compensation package for student athletes. They didn’t - so, it’s Thunderdome.

We don’t need another hero.

They probably don't know. My guess is that if we were able to read the contract, we'd find that it is for as much as $1.3mm depending on certain conditions being met (number of appearances, number of autographs signed, etc). I'd further guess that if Ewers doesn't become a star, he won't have oportunities to max out the value of the contract.

Who is this company? Any other clients? Does Patrick Mahomes even make this kind of money for his autograph?

Who is this company? Any other clients? Does Patrick Mahomes even make this kind of money for his autograph?

They seem to host autograph signings for a range of current and former athletes, including Bo Jackson, Marcus Allen, Emmit Smith, and Saquon Barkley. The cheapest autograph I’ve seen from some random unknown baseball player was $4.62. The other guys cost a lot more (up to $125 for certain Bo Jackson items).

Probably so, but in the meantime OSU gets a nice recruiting perk by having this $1.3M deal circulated in social media. That kind of money is pretty ridiculous for a kid that hasn't taken a single meaningful snap.

Probably so, but in the meantime OSU gets a nice recruiting perk by having this $1.3M deal circulated in social media. That kind of money is pretty ridiculous for a kid that hasn't taken a single meaningful snap.

Of course. All parties benefit by making the deal sound as good as it possibly can be. It's only killjoys like me who want to see the fine print.

WELL,

"Oklahoma QB Spencer Rattler, the Heisman Trophy favorite, is the first CFB player to sign autographs at the National Sports Collectors Convention. He's signing today for $150 per autograph."

@ $150 per pop, maybe 9,300 autographs 😂 over the next three yrs.
60 autographs per each of the 52 states per year for the next three years

Last edited:
WELL,
https://twitter.com/SBJLizMullen

"Oklahoma QB Spencer Rattler, the Heisman Trophy favorite, is the first CFB player to sign autographs at the National Sports Collectors Convention. He's signing today for $150 per autograph."

@ $150 per pop, maybe 9,300 autographs 😂 over the next three yrs

What sort of asshole would pay a college quarterback $150 for an autograph?

What sort of asshole would pay a college quarterback $150 for an autograph?

??? ....got me by the
OGC.b6fe7c65042a53beba0fbdf164f6f33a

SPORTS PERSONALITIES
Adam Vinatieri99
Antwan Harris50
Anna Kournikova200
Arnold Palmer100
Bernhard Langer80
Billie Jean King80
Bobby Hamilton50
Brett Favre80
Carl Lewis60
Christian Fauria50
Colin Montgomerie80
Dale Earnhardt Jr80
Dan Klecko70
David Duval100
Deion Branch70
Ernie Els100
Fuzzy Zoeller50
Gary Player99
George Foreman99
Greg Norman99
Jack Nicklaus99
Jarvis Green45
Jeanette Lee40
Jennifer Capriati40
Je'Rod Cherry40
Jim O'Brien40
Jimmie Johnson80
Joe Andruzzi45
Joe Frazier90
John Madden80
Karrie Webb80
Ken Walter35
Larry Bird220
Larry Izzo45
Manny Ramirez120
Mark O'Meara35
Martina Navratilova150
Michelle Kwan80
Mike Cloud45
Nancy Kerrigan75
Paul Pierce80
Phil Mickelson250
Richard Gere120
Sandy Lyle60
Seve Ballesteros80
Tiger Woods2000
Tom Ashworth45
Tom Watson80
Tony Stewart60
Tully Banta Cain45
Ty Warren45
Tyrone Poole45

• Haha
Reactions: STPGopherfan
??? ....got me by the

SPORTS PERSONALITIES
Adam Vinatieri99
Antwan Harris50
Anna Kournikova200
Arnold Palmer100
Bernhard Langer80
Billie Jean King80
Bobby Hamilton50
Brett Favre80
Carl Lewis60
Christian Fauria50
Colin Montgomerie80
Dale Earnhardt Jr80
Dan Klecko70
David Duval100
Deion Branch70
Ernie Els100
Fuzzy Zoeller50
Gary Player99
George Foreman99
Greg Norman99
Jack Nicklaus99
Jarvis Green45
Jeanette Lee40
Jennifer Capriati40
Je'Rod Cherry40
Jim O'Brien40
Jimmie Johnson80
Joe Andruzzi45
Joe Frazier90
John Madden80
Karrie Webb80
Ken Walter35
Larry Bird220
Larry Izzo45
Manny Ramirez120
Mark O'Meara35
Martina Navratilova150
Michelle Kwan80
Mike Cloud45
Nancy Kerrigan75
Paul Pierce80
Phil Mickelson250
Richard Gere120
Sandy Lyle60
Seve Ballesteros80
Tiger Woods2000
Tom Ashworth45
Tom Watson80
Tony Stewart60
Tully Banta Cain45
Ty Warren45
Tyrone Poole45
The guy who used to give "stuffed" McDonalds bags to recruits?

Reactions: step.eng69
??? ....got me by the

SPORTS PERSONALITIES
Adam Vinatieri99
Antwan Harris50
Anna Kournikova200
Arnold Palmer100
Bernhard Langer80
Billie Jean King80
Bobby Hamilton50
Brett Favre80
Carl Lewis60
Christian Fauria50
Colin Montgomerie80
Dale Earnhardt Jr80
Dan Klecko70
David Duval100
Deion Branch70
Ernie Els100
Fuzzy Zoeller50
Gary Player99
George Foreman99
Greg Norman99
Jack Nicklaus99
Jarvis Green45
Jeanette Lee40
Jennifer Capriati40
Je'Rod Cherry40
Jim O'Brien40
Jimmie Johnson80
Joe Andruzzi45
Joe Frazier90
John Madden80
Karrie Webb80
Ken Walter35
Larry Bird220
Larry Izzo45
Manny Ramirez120
Mark O'Meara35
Martina Navratilova150
Michelle Kwan80
Mike Cloud45
Nancy Kerrigan75
Paul Pierce80
Phil Mickelson250
Richard Gere120
Sandy Lyle60
Seve Ballesteros80
Tiger Woods2000
Tom Ashworth45
Tom Watson80
Tony Stewart60
Tully Banta Cain45
Ty Warren45
Tyrone Poole45
Arnold Palmer still signs autographs? :)

Seriously, makes you wonder what Tate Forcier and Tate Martell (I see a trend...) would have gotten years ago. Talk about a sponsor pissing money away. I guess we'll see.

Reactions: step.eng69
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT