ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN summed up in 1 tweet

Very smart move to leave the Seminoles out. Look at all the free publicity they are getting. Every single source….sports networks, news outlets, gambling sites, social media, bars, family gatherings….are all talking about it. I bet even the Taliban are arguing about who should be in!

Florida State. Why put them at 4 going into ccg if you done seen them struggle without Travis? If the ACC schedule is deemed weak? Put em lower to begin with. Erase the false hope. Then if they shellack Louisville by 40, bounce em up if you want.

It's a good point. Going into last weekend, FSU was #4. They won a neutral site game against a ranked opponent by 2 scores. And then two teams with more losses passed them. I'm not saying that Texas and Bama didn't have impressive wins, but if you (the committee) felt FSU was #4 going into the weekend and better than those teams, what exactly happened to change your mind about that?

Maybe the Seminoles should have tried to score on their last position instead of letting the clock run out. They could have easily kicked a FG at least when the clock expired. With a larger margin of victory made a difference?

if you (the committee) felt FSU was #4 going into the weekend and better than those teams, what exactly happened to change your mind about that?

Perhaps it was just as simple as not believing that their performance with their 3rd string QB was good enough for the 4th spot.

However, I don't think this same performance was good enough to be #6 either. The ranking didn't matter though because FSU was playoff or Orange Bowl. Still, I think they should have bumped them down last week (when they struggled with their #2, who then got hurt) and basically announced this then.

If it were the Buckeyes holding the short end of this stick, I doubt Herbie would be so philosophical about it.

As it is, his statement is unbelievably dumb...to the point of being downright contemptuous of Florida State. I mean, is this actually his Twitter account or a knock-off?
That tweet was 9 years ago. And FSU did get in and lost Oregon 59-20.

No undefeated p5 team has ever been left out in favor of a team with a loss…

The committee just does what it wants there’s no precedent, there’s no guidelines or process. There’s a list of criteria they arbitrarily pick and choose.
This is why I'd like the playoffs to be (more or less) simplified to a champion of conference champions. Winning should matter.

It's not over; they just increased the slots to give for '24.

It is over given that a 12-Team structure is going to have all P5 (P4 next year) Champions, the highest ranked G5 Champion and 7 worthy teams without a Conf Title (i.e., wildcards) PLAY to advance to Title Game. That is the very definition of a "Play-Off" - the proven most worthy contenders meet on the field of play to decide who will advance. The 12-Team Structure accomplishes this - this 4-Team Invitational bullshit political Beauty Pageant does not.

personally, I think this sucks. FSU did everything they could have to get in. TX and AL both lost a game. To me, this does three things: it invalidates the regular season, it invalidates W/L as the primary reason to keep a team in/out of the playoff, it moves the decision to a "committee". If you've never seen Leach's response on committees, it is worth your time because it is so true.

Personally, because we are going to 12 next year, there is no accountability for the committee. If someone asks "why keep FSU out", there is no answer other than to start with "we think....". Keeping TX or AL out and asked why, the answer begins with "because they lost....".

Lastly, who knows what "connections" may have been leveraged by AL or TX to get them in? It wouldn't surprise me in the least that many phone calls and promises were made.

Reactions: hoflane
It is over given that a 12-Team structure is going to have all P5 (P4 next year) Champions, the highest ranked G5 Champion and 7 worthy teams without a Conf Title (i.e., wildcards) PLAY to advance to Title Game. That is the very definition of a "Play-Off" - the proven most worthy contenders meet on the field of play to decide who will advance. The 12-Team Structure accomplishes this - this 4-Team Invitational bullshit political Beauty Pageant does not.

I'm pretty sure you will be here whining when we are 12th and the G5 gets theirs in. It's still a beauty pageant invitational.

Wait until a 1 loss ACC champ gets passed for a 3 loss SEC team.

This is why I'd like the playoffs to be (more or less) simplified to a champion of conference champions. Winning should matter.

BS - winning Conference is rewarded with first round bye in the 12-Team Format. Show me the Post-Season Playoff Structure in any sport where the Division Winner advances directly to Semi-Finals??? Your structure is nonsensical in that it ignores the relative strength of the Conferences to each other - having wildcard spots eliminates this as Undefeated Conf Champs will have to prove themselves in 2nd Round against worthy teams from other Conferences who didn't win their division.... - the Phillies and Diamondbacks this year are good examples of what I'm talking about.

Right, thanks, that was pointed out to me. It's still an incredibly dumb, hypocritical, and condescending thing to say.

Oops, sorry, I was responding to IANIT below.

That tweet was 9 years ago. And FSU did get in and lost Oregon 59-20.

Right, thanks, that was pointed out to me. It's still an incredibly dumb, hypocritical, and condescending thing to say.

Essentially, Alabama and Texas get a second bite of the apple, but FSU gets no bite at the apple at all??? And you wonder why people say the way CFB determines their champion is truly f'ed up.
It is and always has been f'ed up.

BS - winning Conference is rewarded with first round bye in the 12-Team Format. Show me the Post-Season Playoff Structure in any sport where the Division Winner advances directly to Semi-Finals??? Your structure is nonsensical in that it ignores the relative strength of the Conferences to each other - having wildcard spots eliminates this as Undefeated Conf Champs will have to prove themselves in 2nd Round against worthy teams from other Conferences who didn't win their division.... - the Phillies and Diamondbacks this year are good examples of what I'm talking about.
You should probably improve your reading comprehension

It is and always has been f'ed up.
Hopefully, the 12-team playoff will eliminate some of this. I'm sure there will be occasional arguments over 12/13. But, while it's been bad before, what we had this year was the worst of all. I still think the top 4 teams got in. If FSU blows out Georgia or vice versa (assuming there aren't massive defections/opt-outs) I'll rethink that.

Reactions: Bob2022
The only thing wild card spots will do is give the SEC more teams. When 6 of the 12 teams are all from the SEC, let’s see how much of a real playoff that is. And if you don’t think that’s going to happen, look at this year for proof.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT