ADVERTISEMENT

Football ESPN FPI predicts Penn State Football's 2023 season

I am surprised they are that confident vs WVa. We have a new QB and it is the first game of the year. We could easily have a 3 to 5 turnover game. As @ram2020 stated, clearly tOSU is a favorite but also with a new QB, 11% seems pretty low. In fact, I'd give us better odds against UM than tOSU even though UM is home and tOSU is away. tOSU is always loaded with talent but have graduated a ton, including QB and 3 on their OL.

Reactions: Obliviax
I am surprised they are that confident vs WVa. We have a new QB and it is the first game of the year. We could easily have a 3 to 5 turnover game. As @ram2020 stated, clearly tOSU is a favorite but also with a new QB, 11% seems pretty low. In fact, I'd give us better odds against UM than tOSU even though UM is home and tOSU is away. tOSU is always loaded with talent but have graduated a ton, including QB and 3 on their OL.
I agree that 11% vs OSU is too low but don't sell their QB short. He is a year older and has pretty good stats.

McCord 41-60 (68%), 3 TD, 2 INT, QB rating 170
Allar 35-60 (58%), 4 TD, 0 INT, QB rating 130

I agree that 11% vs OSU is too low but don't sell their QB short. He is a year older and has pretty good stats.

McCord 41-60 (68%), 3 TD, 2 INT, QB rating 170
Allar 35-60 (58%), 4 TD, 0 INT, QB rating 130
Agree but until you do it, you haven't done it. Both of those Qbs played in mop-up duties, for the most part. And, as I noted, tOSU's OL lost three players in the NFL draft. Paris Johnson (OT), Dewand Jones (OT), and Luke Wipfler (C) were all drafted.

yeah...one has to question the MSU prediction, given recent portals. And that is a big reason why it is so hard to predict anything now. Not only do you have key injuries but portal xfers.
I hope Ohio St reads their FPI prediction percent against PSU. Seriously, 90% in the bag against a predicted top 5 team? That doesn't make sense. MSU is way low for us. Illinois is lower % than Iowa? Some of this is just odd.

Reactions: Obliviax
I hope Ohio St reads their FPI prediction percent against PSU. Seriously, 90% in the bag against a predicted top 5 team? That doesn't make sense. MSU is way low for us. Illinois is lower % than Iowa? Some of this is just odd.
Agree...but it has been a LOOONGG time since we beat tOSU in Columbus.

Agree but until you do it, you haven't done it. Both of those Qbs played in mop-up duties, for the most part. And, as I noted, tOSU's OL lost three players in the NFL draft. Paris Johnson (OT), Dewand Jones (OT), and Luke Wipfler (C) were all drafted.
McCord gets to throw to Marvin Harrison.

I'd call this a toss up until we see how they really perform under pressure.

Home and road sways the %. Hence why Illinois is worse than Iowa. Michigan being nearly even? They return their QB and multiple key players.

McCord gets to throw to Marvin Harrison.

I'd call this a toss up until we see how they really perform under pressure.
and I'm hoping Diaz has progressed this defense enough from their game last year that McCord spends a fair amount of time running for his life or on his back.

How do you negate by far the best WR corps in the country? Give the QB no time, a collapsing pocket (not sure McCord is a big run threat) and have a secondary that can play aggressive man coverage.

Home and road sways the %. Hence why Illinois is worse than Iowa. Michigan being nearly even? They return their QB and multiple key players.
I get that. But 3 points or so. Not some of the % moves that this seems to imply. They likely have Michigan beating Ohio St but have us at close to a coin flip with Michigan and almost no chance against Ohio St.

For starters, I am not buying ESPN's metrics. Way too limited to capture all the critical nuances of the college game including the biggest one of all, schematic misfit between the units. I like the winning percentages for WVU, Delaware, Northwestern, UMass, Indiana, Rutgers and Michigan State. Illinois is too high at 75.5. I would drop it to 65%. They obvously aren't paying attention to what is going on in Iowa City. Right now, I would slot us in at 40 to 45%. I would put Ohio State at 25% and Michigan at 10%.

For starters, I am not buying ESPN's metrics. Way too limited to capture all the critical nuances of the college game including the biggest one of all, schematic misfit between the units. I like the winning percentages for WVU, Delaware, Northwestern, UMass, Indiana, Rutgers and Michigan State. Illinois is too high at 75.5. I would drop it to 65%. They obvously aren't paying attention to what is going on in Iowa City. Right now, I would slot us in at 40 to 45%. I would put Ohio State at 25% and Michigan at 10%.
You think we are going to lose to Iowa at home? Do you know who their OC is? Have you seen their gambling scandal?

You think we are going to lose to Iowa at home? Do you know who their OC is? Have you seen their gambling scandal?
Who cares about an accusation? I don't. The fact that it is wide knowledge shows it is probably minor at best. And yes, I think we are going to lose to Iowa at home right now. If the game was in early November, I might think otherwise but this will be the first game Allar ever plays against a good defense. while the defense has a major hole in the middle. If we don't have a lead, we are going to be run on. I also think this could be Iowa's best team since 09 and maybe 02.

I'd say that most of those projection are in line with what I'd expect. The sum is slightly more pessimistic than our win total future that I've seen, but not by much.

They do seem to be more bullish on Ohio St than most (they are currently a dog to Michigan in the spread, and the implied probability of our game would be closer to 20%).

The well spring of having a 5* QB flows strong. He might be new, but expectations are high.

The same FPI has WVU as a 4-8 to 5-7 team.
So they have a better chance beating us on an opening night game than they do beating UCF or Baylor? There seems to be an inconsistency in these three road games?

Reactions: lazydave841
Who cares about an accusation? I don't. The fact that it is wide knowledge shows it is probably minor at best. And yes, I think we are going to lose to Iowa at home right now. If the game was in early November, I might think otherwise but this will be the first game Allar ever plays against a good defense. while the defense has a major hole in the middle. If we don't have a lead, we are going to be run on. I also think this could be Iowa's best team since 09 and maybe 02.
And your “inside” sources regarding the gambling scandal are who exactly? Yeah that’s what I thought.

They've also got Ohio St 1st in the country, and Michigan 6th.
Not sure how. I get it that they are loaded with 5 stars but they replace three offensive linemen and a qb. Not saying we will beat them but our back seven and edge rushers should be well above average this year.

We will have a new qb of our own, but have 5 OLine starters and two tight ends back as well as two pretty good backs.

And your “inside” sources regarding the gambling scandal are who exactly? Yeah that’s what I thought.
Um, there is no scandal at this point. There is an accusation without evidence. Nothing more, nothing less. yeah, that's what I think.

Tell us about the square pegs and round holes.

So they have a better chance beating us on an opening night game than they do beating UCF or Baylor? There seems to be an inconsistency in these three road games?

It's pretty crazy. I didn't read all of their games. Just their predicted win loss. Good thing UCF isn't on our schedule 🙃

11% chance of beating OSU? Look, I get our record against them has been awful, but 11% in a computer simulation? Maryland has a much better chance of beating us on our home field than we do OSU on their's?
Yeah, I don't agree - at all - with that 11% BS. But, if you read all of the preseason predictions and forecasts, the B1G, and possibly the NC-playoffs goes through the OSU defense. If they can somehow field a decent-good defense this year, it will be awfully tough to beat those guys, A repeat of their horseshit defense of the last 3 to 4 years probably means that the B1G comes down to the PSU-Michigan game

Yeah, I don't agree - at all - with that 11% BS. But, if you read all of the preseason predictions and forecasts, the B1G, and possibly the NC-playoffs goes through the OSU defense. If they can somehow field a decent-good defense this year, it will be awfully tough to beat those guys, A repeat of their horseshit defense of the last 3 to 4 years probably means that the B1G comes down to the PSU-Michigan game
None of this matters as Jim and his BIG Blue death star will roll through the B1G on their way to the NC this year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT